(Topic ID: 33185)

My wife rocks = our first NIB! X-Men Pro!

By EchoVictor

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by sarconus
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_1007.JPG
100_1006.JPG
#1 11 years ago

So, after playing a bunch of different games at Expo, my new bride and I had settled on looking for a Demo Man for our next pin. I had a few bucks saved up in the pin fund, and so my search started in earnest.

On a different note, I'd gotten to the point where I was pretty well done and accomplished on my Judge Dredd. After a couple game warm-up, I could consistently make it to wizard mode. Felt like I had seen/done everything the game had to offer.

So, I put my Dredd out there for trade or for sale, hoping to snag a Demo Man or something else cool. After no solid trade leads came up, I started to entertain the idea of selling it. It was at this point, the crazy conversation that led to today came up.....

"You know, darlin'....If I can get what I think I can for Dredd, and I add what's in the pin fund for a Demo Man, we'd be within spitting distance of a NIB...."

- Her eyes light up...."Like X-Men?"

(This is essentially her "grail" theme, as she had read all the X-Men comics growing up. We had also played it at Expo and loved it)

"Yeah, like X-Men. But we're still a few hundred bucks short."

- "A few hundred? Hell, for that, I'll give you the extra money if it means getting an X-Men!!!"

God I love this woman!

So, a couple weeks later, and some great help from Trent at Tilt Amusements, the crazy is complete. Here we go!

100_1006.JPG100_1006.JPG

Later,
EV

P.S. So what kind of mods should I be doing?

#2 11 years ago

Awesome, congratulations! Wish my woman was into pinball....sigh. Enjoy it.

#4 11 years ago

Enjoy the pin! I'm in the strange situation where I have to tell my wife "no" on pins.... must keep bank account intact!

#5 11 years ago

Grate. I love this game - LE anyway, haven't played pro yet. It's a very fun players pin. Hopefully the code update compliments the layout and does it justice.

#6 11 years ago

Congrats to you! Nothing better than a wife that supports a hobby even some of my guy friends don't understand. Our TFTC and BSD were bought and paid for by my wife. And I'll be hanging on them. The pins and the wife!

#7 11 years ago

Great post I like to see the whole family involved. We only have two machines the CFTBL is the wifes.

#8 11 years ago

Congrats, EV! I know you've been lusting after that title for a while. There is nothing more exciting than opening your first NIB pin.

#9 11 years ago

Congrate EV. fun pin. Glade you got a NIB, have fun

#10 11 years ago

Great story!
I will always remember taking my wife to the PHoF and her saying with a totally straight face, "We need to get TZ and MM". So, I did my husbandly duty!

#11 11 years ago

Well done! I was jealous when I saw it in your van last night, Someday I'll get a NIB.

#12 11 years ago

Nice to see you finally got it!

#13 11 years ago

Congrats on your first NIB!

#14 11 years ago

It happened! Wow, that's fantastic. Looking forward to seeing it out-of-box.

Congratulations, you two!
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#15 11 years ago

We got the same machine, XM pro, NIB about a month ago. It was a birthday present for my wife (and not like when Homer Simpson bought his wife a bowling ball drilled for his fingers)! Congrats and enjoy!

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Ninefingers:

Enjoy the pin! I'm in the strange situation where I have to tell my wife "no" on pins.... must keep bank account intact!

Hon, your mouth may say no, but your eyes say yes...

#17 11 years ago

Congrats ! Having the wife involved is great. I love it when i am doing something and i hear a pin being turned on and the wife is playing.

#18 11 years ago

Two great acquisition!!! (First would be the wife)

#19 11 years ago

A woman who grew up reading x-men comics, that is awesome. She have a sister in California thats single? On a serious note congrats on the NIB but bigger congrats for the awesome sounding wife.

#20 11 years ago

Thanks for the compliments all!

The hardest part now is the waiting. I'll have my kids for Xmas this year, so we decided that we'd leave it in the box until the kids come home. We did, however, pop the top open to take a peek....

100_1007.JPG100_1007.JPG

The suspense is killing me!

Later,
EV

#21 11 years ago

EV-awesome, enjoy the pin. Careful when u cut that green strap! I almost lost an eye on my AC/DC!

#22 11 years ago

Congrats! You'll never get tired of that new pin smell.

#23 11 years ago

Cool Pin and Wife!!!!

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from BriGuy5:

You'll never get tired of that new pin smell.

It's like crack! Not that I know what that smells like.....

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

The hardest part now is the waiting. I'll have my kids for Xmas this year, so we decided that we'd leave it in the box until the kids come home. We did, however, pop the top open to take a peek....

you could always 're-box' it! THEY WILL NEVER KNOW.

#26 11 years ago

Glad she gave you permission. I like "my wife let me" threads.

#27 11 years ago

Yay for cool wives! And congrats on your NIB! I haven't played XMen but it looks very cool. You'll have a blast over the holidays.

I'm also in the position of being the one that wants more pins, and the husband saying no.

(That's why I got my parents hooked, got them to buy 2 that I can play at their house, and somehow got one from them for Christmas. Bwahaha!)

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

Ouch.

#29 11 years ago

thats awesome, but forget the kids, take that out of the box!!!!

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

Umm, that's totally not the situation. She's my wife, not my mother.

If you have "must get permission/your wife let you" in any aspect of your marriage, you're doing it wrong.

Later,
EV

#31 11 years ago

Totally agree EV!

But i'm also a lucky fellow that has a pinball loving wife! Too bad our tastes of pins is not always on the same page.

#32 11 years ago

I say take it out of the box and make sure all is properly working, leveled and ready for play! Nothing worse then to opening something on Christmas day and have it inop, missing parts, etc. If this is the case you will have time to get it in order before the kids come. Congrats to you and family on the NIB X-Men. Merry Christmas to you and family!

#33 11 years ago

Congrats that is awesome!!!! So cool to hear the excitement and enthusiasm. I love this pin hope you all do as well.

#34 11 years ago

Welcome to the lucky man club EV!

My wife loves'em too. She is trying to get me to buy a ACDC Premium right now...

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

I say take it out of the box and make sure all is properly working, leveled and ready for play! Nothing worse then to opening something on Christmas day and have it inop, missing parts, etc. If this is the case you will have time to get it in order before the kids come.

There's a lot to be said for that- make sure there are no issues, the sooner the better.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

We did, however, pop the top open to take a peek....

At least the coin door sticker appears to be put on straight. That's more than I can say for my AC/DC when I unboxed it.

#37 11 years ago

Good call on unboxing the machine and getting it ready.
Why don't you strap on the legs, raise the head, get all the stuffing out (essentially get it ready for play) and then wrap a big bow around it?
Wrap the empty box and leave it near the tree, then when the kids open it and find out what it is, you can lead them to the "ready to play pin" -of course, they'll have to wait their turn!!!
Enjoy!

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

If you have "must get permission/your wife let you" in any aspect of your marriage, you're doing it wrong.

Well who sows your button on then? (LOL)

#39 11 years ago

Wait for the kids !!! I saved for years and sprung on my 7 year olds dream theme, TFLE Combo. Him doing the unveiling and getting more and more excited with every new character he could see as we unwrapped was priceless. That creates memories, which will be all they have when we are gone. Wait, Wait, Wait.

My NIB will be the only one I ever do and I am very grateful I waited for the kids.

Congrats on your 1st NIB, when you pull it out, stick your head in the coindoor. That smell will not stay long and you will never forget it.

#40 11 years ago

Funny, i was going to do the same thing for my kids with my NIB Tron. Problem came we had to show our house and delivery on the same day. We had our kids and the delivery man showed up as someone was viewing our house and we just picked the kids up from school. (Damn you late delivery man)

Sooooo... Just unpacked it and started to play that night

Quoted from EchoVictor:

Thanks for the compliments all!

The suspense is killing me!
Later,
EV

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fontana, CA
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-wife-rocks-our-first-nib-x-men-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.