DSC02265.jpg
DSC02262.jpg
DSC02261.jpg
DSC02259.jpg
DSC02257.jpg
DSC02250.jpg
DSC02248.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I find myself in a of a bit of a strange situation.
I recently finished a Whirlwind restoration and before I could decide whether to sell it, keep it or trade it and up pops a wtb post.
I replied to the wtb post and the poster swings by to have a look, he seemed to really like the game but is new to the hobby and would like a professional opinion on the restoration.
In the meantime I find a game I want to buy and I couple I wouldn't mind trading for, of course.
So in order to speed things up a bit and to help my buyer out, below are a few pics of my restoration.
Feel free to critique; if my buyer backs out I'll be putting it on the market but for now we're just looking for opinions.
Details as follows: Kruzman cleared CPR playfield, new ramps, plastics, decals, paint, flipper fidelity speakers, translite and backglass, leds, flipper mechs, legs, lockdown bar, side rails, topper, fan blade, etc.
Thanks in advance.

DSC02248.JPGDSC02248.JPG
DSC02250.JPGDSC02250.JPG
DSC02257.JPGDSC02257.JPG
DSC02259.JPGDSC02259.JPG
DSC02261.JPGDSC02261.JPG
DSC02262.JPGDSC02262.JPG
DSC02265.JPGDSC02265.JPG
DSC02266.JPGDSC02266.JPG

#2 8 years ago

drevil.pngdrevil.png

#3 8 years ago

Looks like a really pretty WW. I'd fix the apron. You've done everything else. That's the only thing that stands out to me.

#4 8 years ago

nice looking machine but what are you really asking here?

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Looks like a really pretty WW. I'd fix the apron. You've done everything else. That's the only think that stands out to me.

I have the decal set for the apron but I left it because I kind of like the way it looks.
It's also the last remaining "blemish" and I thought I'd keep it as an oder to the past.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

but what are you really asking here?

My buyer wanted a second opinion on the restoration because he's new to this.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

I have the decal set for the apron but I left it because I kind of like the way it looks.
It's also the last remaining "blemish" and I thought I'd keep it as an oder to the past.

Honestly, it's a very noticeable blight on an otherwise nice looking game. I see no reason to keep it like that, especially if you already have the supplies to fix it.

#8 8 years ago

What are the buyer's concerns, did he see some dust on the glass? My professional opinion is that looks like one heck of a nice restored Whirlwind.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

i sold this one for 2600 and yours looks a helluva lot nicer

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-ramps-on-whirlwind

#10 8 years ago

It looks super nice but it's really hard to gauge the quality of a restore without seeing/playing it in person. I've done a few playfield swaps (including a Whirlwind) and it always takes me a few months of playing/tweaking to get them to play like they're supposed to. I've seen a couple of partially restored Whirlwind's sell in my area (stock CPR, original cabinet, new ramps and plastics) sell in the $3200-$3500 range. Since yours has a Kruzman playfield and more new parts I'd imagine it would be a bit more depending on the quality of your restoration. Restored games are hard to pinpoint prices on. If the game was done by one of the big name restorers like HEP or Bryan Kelly I'm sure it could garner a much higher price tag but for someone with an unknown restoration history and reputation it can really be hard to pinpoint a price without seeing/playing it in person.

#11 8 years ago

Well said Mike.

#12 8 years ago

The game looks fantastic. It looks like a lot of money and time went into this machine. That playfield looks awesome!

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

The game looks fantastic. It looks like a lot of money and time went into this machine. That playfield looks awesome!

agreed. assuming everything works aside from little tweaks I'd say this might get 4k+

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

I already gave him one

I have seen this in person, beautiful restoration!

#15 8 years ago

Why on earth would you want to sell that or trade it? I would think it would take pretty big bucks to pry that out of my hands. Guessing from the inside of the cabinet you did a nice job, especially with the work around the glue blocks. It shows you really took care. Todd Scott

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from lostlumberjacks:

Why on earth would you want to sell that or trade it?

It's my last and only pin and I can't afford another one right now without getting rid of it.
Plus I've had it for three years... time for a change.
Guaranteed I'll have some sellers remorse but then again I'm pretty excited about the next pin I have lined up.

#17 8 years ago

Looks awesome. Id not sell it for less than 4250 ish

#18 8 years ago

Well that makes complete sense. That's how a lot of collectors get started. Buy, fix it up, sell at a profit. I'm sure you could get a coupme nice games for the price of that one. Someone will be really happy with that one! I wish I had it, I've got a beater.

#19 8 years ago

Looks great! Don't let it go cheap. Once I get a new playfield, I'll be finishing mine.

#20 8 years ago

If I tried to sell it for a profit no one would ever buy it,
It was a labor of love.
But hey, I got to play it a ton.

#21 8 years ago

i'm interested if the buyer falls through.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

If I tried to sell it for a profit no one would ever buy it,
It was a labor of love.
But hey, I got to play it a ton.

+1 to all 3 of those. I will woe the day I decide to sell my pins and someone gets the reap the rewards of all that sweet, sweet free labor I put in.

#23 8 years ago

It looks like shit,Dave
I'll give you 2500.00 for it,Lol.

Great job,you can do my WH20 next

#24 8 years ago

Sold and sold!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-whirlwind-restoration-pickle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.