You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image2.jpg
image1.jpg
FullSizeRender-2.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hello, I have recently fallen ill with the pin-bug... After visiting a small "pinball museum" in my local town, all of the memories came rushing back! My jaw dropped multiple time's when reminiscing of playing these machines with my older brother (who was with me at the time) and I couldn't help but be nostalgic.. I am a motorcycle technician and consider myself to be very mechanically savvy and have an average amount of electrical experience with 12V stuff, bikes/cars etc. and decided I absolutely had to have a pin. This is all new to me other than playing but I feel as though I can wrap my head around the concept and principal of the inner working of the machines. I know it will take time and plenty headaches but I'm ready! I decided to sell off a few of my prized vintage motorcycle collection and get some machines to have in my home. I came across a guy that deals with arcade games and such and he recently picked up a Bally "Mousin' Around" game and I really wanted it.. Im only 26 years old but as soon as I saw it, I remembered playing it frequently when I was a kid and absolutely loving it! I probably overpaid but the looks and gameplay were something I wanted and were valuable as a memory. So I took it home and spent an entire day meticulously cleaning and detailing the machine. I have all of the original paperwork and owners manual and service manual also. I couldn't be happier.

My question is, Ive never owned a pin and wanted to know if there is anything I should be aware of, look out for, keep up and maintain? I noticed 1 of the pop bumpers is not working and some of the side targets are not working either, plus a few bulbs are out. Before I go crazy ordering parts and lights, can anyone give me some do's and dont's? Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

FullSizeRender-2.jpgFullSizeRender-2.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Keep the playfield clean and waxed, keep the subways (plastic paths the ball travels under the playfield) clean. Buy new balls and install them, any knicks or corrosion and eat up your playing surface pretty quick. Unless the rubbers are new, replace those too. It sucks when old ones start to break down and dirty up the surface.

Pick at one thing at a time. Start with easy stuff like the bulbs (you can swap bulbs between working and non working spots to figure out if it is the bulb or socket).

Look for a series of topics in here called "vids guide to ...". Awesome material in there.

Google pinwiki system 11 for general maintenance and troubleshooting for your machine.

Search IPDB.org for mousin around and you can snag and print a copy of the manual there, if you don't already have one.

And if you ever decide strip your playfield of all parts for cleaning / upgrading, make sure you don't jumble them up AND lose all your pics.

#3 8 years ago

Also, congrats on your first (of many) pin!

#4 8 years ago

I'd take a look at the driver board--could be some fried spots on there or loose connectors. Take a look around in there, unplug, replug etc.

Mousin Around is great!

#5 8 years ago

Welcome!
Congrats on the Mousin Around. Fun game. It doesn't matter what you paid for it as long as you are enjoying it, it is money well spent.

Play it and fix stuff as needed. Please try to remember to change the AA batteries on the main circuit board once a year to help prevent them from leaking and corroding an expensive part of the game.

#6 8 years ago

haha thanks for the quick replies! It did still have the factory manual inside the game so that was a nice surprise, it even had the original un-installed factory mylar sheet. One thing i forgot to mention, the guy i bought it from had purchased about 100 games from somewhere and he took out the batteries on all the pins. He actually snipped the tray off of the board but luckily there is no damage on the board from the batteries at all! I noticed that marco's sells new battery trays but the guy told me that people usually just solder wires to the board and have the tray setting in the backboard to keep that problem from ever happening... Should I re-install a new battery tray to the board or have the tray setting in the backboard so it can't ever damage the main board??

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from brraaapperdoodle:

have the tray setting in the backboard so it can't ever damage the main board

that is preferred

#8 8 years ago

Mousin around is a fun game. Try the cheap/free fix first before you go buy a ton of parts or change major assemblies.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Mousin around is a fun game. Try the cheap/free fix first before you go buy a ton of parts or change major assemblies.

Are you referring to just doing a thorough check of all the wires for good connections and also checking the connectors at the boards?

#10 8 years ago

Are you referring to just doing a thorough check of all the wires for good connections and also checking the connectors at the boards?

Yes, follow the wiring. Most minor issues can be found by following the wiring to the broken connections. 3yrs ago I knew nothing about fixing pins, 25 pins later I know a wee bit more. It's gonna be a fun journey, enjoy!!

#11 8 years ago

Okay, I had a good look at the machine today and found that 1 of the wires for the bumper targets had come loose. I re-soldered it and I'm assuming that will fix the 3 that weren't working. They are wired in series so that makes sense. However I found a burned connector and relay panel under the playing field... how should I fix this and also how do I determine the cause of burning?

image1.JPGimage1.JPG

image2.JPGimage2.JPG

#12 8 years ago

From another Asheville pinsider welcome to the hobby! That's a nice first machine!

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Jenk540i:

From another Asheville pinsider welcome to the hobby! That's a nice first machine!

AHHHH, you have my dream game!!! I want that Indiana Jones!!! Maybe we could link up sometime since you're so close

#14 8 years ago

Congratulations!

#15 8 years ago

Okay, I had a good look at the machine today and found that 1 of the wires for the bumper targets had come loose. I re-soldered it and I'm assuming that will fix the 3 that weren't working. They are wired in series so that makes sense. However I found a burned connector and relay panel under the playing field... how should I fix this and also how do I determine the cause of burning?
image1.JPG
image2.JPG

I don't know what would have burned it, but the best bet for connectors is Ed at Great Plains Electronics: https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

I don't know what would have burned it, but the best bet for connectors is Ed at Great Plains Electronics: https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/

Yeah - you can rebuild the molex connector pretty easily. You need a few inexpensive parts and a tool or two. As mentioned Ed at Great Plains can very helpful in telling you what you need. However - look at the pins on the circuit board that the molex was connected to. If they look oxidiZed (black and funky) the molex could get fried again before long. If you're handy working on circuit boards you can fix that too but if not (like me) there are people around you can ship the board to for repairs.

#17 8 years ago

Welcome. Sign up on Pinball Bash for pinball info in your area. Congrats!

#18 8 years ago

I picked up a mousin around for cheap a few months ago. Great game. Just ordered new decals yesterday. Can't wait to clean her up.

#19 8 years ago

Man, that's some nice reds on the side of the cab!

3 weeks later
#20 8 years ago

Do you mind looking at the label/sticker on the top right of you back box and letting me know what it says? I can make out the word "CAUTION" but that's it. there is also a small decal part number in the lower right of the label too. Thanks, Jon
By the way, Nice looking MA

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sterling, VA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Camarillo, CA
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 23.95
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-very-first-pin-suggestions-wanted and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.