Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 130 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Rascal_H
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E8436691-4054-4974-BFF2-A4FF87E5B100 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    Krv6QQM (resized).jpg
    262y8j (resized).jpg

There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 6 years ago

Went to the main UPS to send out a package and evidently they stopped taking cash in in September 2017. I asked why and he thought because they are at the airport but wasn't sure.
    I personally do not want to go down the cashless road.....

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Went to the main UPS to send out a package and evidently they stopped taking cash in in September 2017. I asked why and he thought because they are at the airport but wasn't sure.

We're there, it's happening. I know Starbucks has been experimenting with cashless shops. It will only continue.

I don't support this, as I don't support shops that are "cash only" as well, but I can see where the wind is blowing.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I dont like that either. I would take my business elsewhere and let them know why (not that it will help and I see more places doing this all the time).

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

We're there, it's happening. I know Starbucks has been experimenting with cashless shops. It will only continue.
    I don't support this, as I don't support shops that are "cash only" as well, but I can see where the wind is blowing.

I agree with you. Not having enough cash on hand and not accepting plastic.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I dont like that either. I would take my business elsewhere and let them know why (not that it will help and I see more places doing this all the time).

I have gone to the UPS Stores to ship, but they cost more as they need their cut as well.

#6 6 years ago

Huh, I guess I'm in the minority here then. I much prefer to not use cash. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had paper money in my pocket, much less coinage. We went to a small hole in the wall pizza joint near me the other day that was cash only. Drove me nuts, and I can't help but think they're doing it to dodge taxes. They just lease a small ATM machine with an absurd surcharge. So in a pinch, you're still swiping your card, and paying more for it.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

We went to a small hole in the wall pizza joint near me the other day that was cash only. Drove me nuts, and I can't help but think they're doing it to dodge taxes. They just lease a small ATM machine with an absurd surcharge.

I've walked out of places like that. Even after I've put my food order in. If they can't accept payment, then they just lost the sale. And and ATM in the corner is not accepting payment.

And you're likely right, probably dodging taxes, which I can't support either since I pay my full share, so why should I support a tax cheat.

#8 6 years ago

Not only are we moving towards a cashless society. but even physical credit cards will soon be a thing of the past. Digital wallet services such as Apple Pay or Samsung Pay based on NFC technology are the future.

#9 6 years ago

I prefer to pay in card. I hate carrying cash it's annoying. I don't understand people that avoid credit. It's not a hard concept to understand it's not free money and you have to pay it back. You get points also so basically everything I spend is at a discount which is rad.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I prefer to pay in card. I hate carrying cash it's annoying. I don't understand people that avoid credit. It's not a hard concept to understand it's not free money and you have to pay it back. You get points also so basically everything I spend is at a discount which is rad.

I like cash for variable expense stuff like food because I know what I've got. Studies show people overspend like 25-30% with credit card because it's not tracked easily. That's the trap most people end up in.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

And you're likely right, probably dodging taxes, which I can't support either since I pay my full share, so why should I support a tax cheat.

I'm not sure about that part -- it's probably more likely that they just don't want to pay the credit card fees - which are like 3-5% I believe (who do you think is funding your bonus points on your card?). That said, the law now lets them charge MORE for credit card if they want, so they could go that route.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Hmm, I sent a package last week with them and paid cash.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Not only are we moving towards a cashless society. but even physical credit cards will soon be a thing of the past. Digital wallet services such as Apple Pay or Samsung Pay based on NFC technology are the future.

One upside to something like Apple Pay is the security above a plastic card. Using one unique number per transaction vs the same number over and over which can be stolen and used. I dislike moving to apply pay but I’ve had my cc compromised 4 times in the last year, and them taking 10 days to ship a new one, f that.

#14 6 years ago

Paying for everything with a credit card is just stupid. Most people do not pay the card off every month and just pay the minimum so they end up paying high interest fees. That's just being stupid.

Plus then they can track your spending habits, again just stupid. If I can't pay with cash then I can't afford to buy it. Why pay the interest??

And then the comment on bonus points...the only people who benefit from bonus points are the businesses that give them out by selling your personal information to the highest bidder. Man wake up people no wonder our country is so far in debt.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Paying for everything with a credit card is just stupid. Most people do not pay the card off every month and just pay the minimum so they end up paying high interest fees. That's just being stupid.
    Plus then they can track your spending habits, again just stupid. If I can't pay with cash then I can't afford to buy it. Why pay the interest??
    And then the comment on bonus points...the only people who benefit from bonus points are the businesses that give them out by selling your personal information to the highest bidder. Man wake up people no wonder our country is so far in debt.

You've got it all mixed up. The only stupid people are the ones spending more than they make and making an interest payment. I have never in my life paid a cent of interest or a fee to a credit card company. Unless you live in a cave and never touch technology the companies already know your habits better than you do. You might as well get paid for giving up that information with credit card points since you really have no choice.

Furthermore, people in credit card debt aren't victims like you're alluding to. They did it to themselves through lack of self-control. If you can't handle the temptation of a credit card then by all means you shouldn't use one, but credit cards have a huge benefit to those that are financially responsible. Also, the cost of the bonus points are shared by the business that pay a fee to accept the credit card and the people up to their eyeballs in credit card debt not from the sale of your information.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Hmm, I sent a package last week with them and paid cash.

This is our main distribution center at the airpor. I go there as it is actually cheaper.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Not to be the conspiracy guy that I am, cashless society they will track you even further . Say you have a garage sale and sell $200.00 worth of already discounted items, now your out more. Not like they tax us enough as it is.

#18 6 years ago

I prefer paying with a card/contactless payment. However, I will occasionally carry cash around.

And there's no sweeter sound than the sound of a coin dropping through a coin door.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

And there's no sweeter sound than the sound of a coin dropping through a coin door.

Hell yes!! I love that sound.

#20 6 years ago

How do you pay for that pinball machine you bought from a private seller?
    Cash is KING!!

#21 6 years ago

I’m just tired of everybody having their hands in my pocket. Govt takes income tax on the front end, govt get sales tax on back end, cc companies get a percentage here and there. Banks get their fees to hold the money. Seems no money can be moved or even not moved without cost.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Cash is KING!!

Quoted from Phat_Jay:

I’m just tired of everybody having their hands in my pocket. Govt takes income tax on the front end, govt get sales tax on back end, cc companies get a percentage here and there. Banks get their fees to hold the money. Seems no money can be moved or even not moved without cost.

Cryptocurrencies, like Bitcoin would work.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Cryptocurrencies, like Bitcoin would work.

Crytpos are the worst for fees - fees to deposit USD, fees for the transactions themselves, and fees to it converted back to USD.

Unless the business models change, cryptos will never be used for regular transactions

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

You've got it all mixed up. The only stupid people are the ones spending more than they make and making an interest payment. I have never in my life paid a cent of interest or a fee to a credit card company. Unless you live in a cave and never touch technology the companies already know your habits better than you do. You might as well get paid for giving up that information with credit card points since you really have no choice.
    Furthermore, people in credit card debt aren't victims like you're alluding to. They did it to themselves through lack of self-control. If you can't handle the temptation of a credit card then by all means you shouldn't use one, but credit cards have a huge benefit to those that are financially responsible. Also, the cost of the bonus points are shared by the business that pay a fee to accept the credit card and the people up to their eyeballs in credit card debt not from the sale of your information.

Well then you live in an apartment or a tent. Or you were given an inheritance. Very, very few people can afford to drop cash for payment in full on a house. And, most can't pay for a car with cash. And, you must have never had a medical emergency or emergency in general (say a central air dies on you). Credit is there for a reason. It's just for many credit is used for a convenience now not for what it's original intent was.

#25 6 years ago

Cash is for pinball machines and drugs; Everything else is plastic.

But I completely understand people only using cash and not doing business with people that don't take it.

#26 6 years ago

And, btw, there is legal precedent that you HAVE to take cash. Read the bill itself... it is says "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private" Cashless society would be dire for the U.S. government as it would move toward a unified currency. The U.S. makes money simply because the dollar is the most stable currency in the world.

#27 6 years ago

Typical day if you are a cash carrying member:

$50.00 worth of gas. Groceries spent $45.00. Stopped for lunch at ???? and spend another $15.00. End of day total = $110.00

Day 2: Go to bank and make another cash withdrawal.

Day 3 is like day 1. Different goods, though. More gas.

Day 4: Go to bank and make another cash withdrawal............

I use a credit card for everything and pay off at end on month.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I'm not seeing any headlines or other forum posts about this. I would think it would be big news if it was widespread.

Maybe some sort of misunderstanding? Maybe the cash drawer wasn't functioning that day?

#29 6 years ago

The main UPS hubs in Eatontown, NJ and Lakewood, NJ do not accept cash either.

I think it has been this way for close to a year now.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

And, btw, there is legal precedent that you HAVE to take cash. Read the bill itself... it is says "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private" Cashless society would be dire for the U.S. government as it would move toward a unified currency. The U.S. makes money simply because the dollar is the most stable currency in the world.

Sorry, you have not read it correctly. There is no Federal requirement to take cash. Massachusetts has some law on the books for it, but I am not familiar with it.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Currency/Pages/legal-tender.aspx

https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12772.htm

This statute means that all United States money as identified above is a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person, or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether to accept cash unless there is a state law which says otherwise.

As far as position, they may not have stated it publicly, but the government preferes electronic transactions. It is easier for them to track flows and do forensics when needed, the mint isn't free to operate, and counterfeiting is always an issue.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

Well then you live in an apartment or a tent. Or you were given an inheritance. Very, very few people can afford to drop cash for payment in full on a house. And, most can't pay for a car with cash. And, you must have never had a medical emergency or emergency in general (say a central air dies on you). Credit is there for a reason. It's just for many credit is used for a convenience now not for what it's original intent was.

He said he's never paid a cent of interest to a CREDIT CARD company, nothing about cars and houses as that's a different beast. I'm in the same boat he is -- I've never paid a cent of credit card interest and I use the card for everything (my wife once used the card on a 60 cent cookie cutter, true story...). It actually helps me track my spending because I import all of my data into Quicken for easy analysis. I can tell you how much I spent eating lunch at restaurants in Q3 of 2014 if I want. It's great for reviewing spending changes and finding areas to spend less in so you have more money to buy pins.

Quoted from poppapin:

Cash is KING!!

PayPal the first time, and a personal check the second... I guess my sellers were trusting, and I appreciate it (since they had to ship both of them). (I realize I'm the outlier here though).

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Huh, I guess I'm in the minority here then. I much prefer to not use cash. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had paper money in my pocket, much less coinage.

OH so your the guy I'm waiting behind in line because he has to use his credit card for a 4.00 purchase.!

#33 6 years ago

well i guess I'm the only one that pretty much only uses cash.

After having a cc number stolen, I pretty much went cash only besides bills. I have one credit card for just in case

I understand the other side of the argument but I like my money to be physical.

and those chips on the cards are so annoying

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

He said he's never paid a cent of interest to a CREDIT CARD company, nothing about cars and houses as that's a different beast. I'm in the same boat he is -- I've never paid a cent of credit card interest and I use the card for everything (my wife once used the card on a 60 cent cookie cutter, true story...). It actually helps me track my spending because I import all of my data into Quicken for easy analysis. I can tell you how much I spent eating lunch at restaurants in Q3 of 2014 if I want. It's great for reviewing spending changes and finding areas to spend less in so you have more money to buy pins.

PayPal the first time, and a personal check the second... I guess my sellers were trusting, and I appreciate it (since they had to ship both of them). (I realize I'm the outlier here though).

My bad. I was scanning and thought he said credit.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Huh, I guess I'm in the minority here then. I much prefer to not use cash. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had paper money in my pocket, much less coinage. We went to a small hole in the wall pizza joint near me the other day that was cash only. Drove me nuts, and I can't help but think they're doing it to dodge taxes. They just lease a small ATM machine with an absurd surcharge. So in a pinch, you're still swiping your card, and paying more for it.

The issue with non cash/check transactions is that the card companies "debit and credit" are making money off of every single transaction. How do you think card companies offer all of their usage programs? It's not out of the goodness of their hearts, the more you use your cards the more money they make.

It's not a small amount either, there is both a transaction fee and a percentage that gets charged to the business for each transaction. If someone carries a balance on their card the card companies are making money on both ends of the sale.

So the business has a few options

1. Only take cash.
    2. Take cards and eat the cost.
    3. Raise prices across the board to cover transaction fees.
    4. Pass the transaction fees on to customers who use cards.

IMO a business shouldn't have to fund discoveries cash back program.

#36 6 years ago

So I'm headed to TPF next week to operate my vendor booth.... as a business I want to be able to accept what customers have available for payment. Cash is easiest for small scale operations like mine to take in. I've got a Square reader which is great because it enables swipe cards, chip cards and Apple/android pay. I've had people send me PayPal while at my space in a show. There is something called zelle in many of our mobile bank apps that could be used as well. Wouldn't be too surprised if Square enables digital currency for transactions in the not too distant future as well. The pizza shop referenced above really doesn't make sense because it's really easy for vendors to get beyond cash these days.

Online my website uses PayPal so that I never see any CC numbers, but I try to do invoices through Square just so I'm spreading some of the transaction fees away from PayPal. The transaction fees from these folks are worth it for the trust they provide customers in safely dealing with a small business.

What I really don't like is things like CVS pay or Walmart. They are trying to layer payment just for their store into apps on phones - no way I want to maintain a wallet for every brand of store out there.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner kit

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from timtim:

After having a cc number stolen, I pretty much went cash only besides bills.

They make it so easy now. My cc been stolen many times. They just shut it down and send me a new one automatically

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from rkahr:

There is something called zelle in many of our mobile bank apps that could be used as well.

I've been using Zelle a lot lately. It's a super convenient way to quickly give someone money with no fees, and most of the major banks fully support it.

#39 6 years ago

The other day, I drove to the store and realized I forgot my wallet. No cash. No credit cards.

Of course I had my phone.

Home Depot
    PetSmart
    Noodle & Company

No problem. Paid for everything using Apple Pay. I am now a convert.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I dislike moving to apply pay but I’ve had my cc compromised 4 times in the last year, and them taking 10 days to ship a new one, f that.

Ten days is ridiculous! I've had my credit card compromised at least half a dozen times over the years, and each time they overnighted me a new card.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

One upside to something like Apple Pay is the security above a plastic card. Using one unique number per transaction vs the same number over and over which can be stolen and used. I dislike moving to apply pay but I’ve had my cc compromised 4 times in the last year, and them taking 10 days to ship a new one, f that.

Yeah i need to start using apple pay more because of this (security). Also i find that it processes the transaction about 4-5 times faster than those stupid chip cards.

#42 6 years ago

I prefer paying by Cash for most everyday purchases, my wife demands it.
    She is fearful of ID and credit theft.
    Carrying enough cash is not a problem since most grocery stores now have banks or at least an ATM,
    so I just make a withdrawal once or twice a month to manage our affairs.
    Though in a pinch I still use my ATM or CC if I happen to be short on cash.
    On big purchases I will write a check or use a card,
    depending on convenience and also to score cashback bonus.
    Online purchases we prefer to use paypal.
    Paying most bills are automatic debits linked to checking acct or CCard.
    Since I do not have a smart phone, probably will never be sucked into applepay or other such pay by phone transactions.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

When this world will no longer accept cash is when I move to Uranus.

#44 6 years ago

it is interesting how times change
    i take both cash and card in my shop, cards make up a third of all sales, people using card also spend a few dollars more

ýes the card compaanies charge the retailer fees, on average about 2.7% per transaction

for my personal soehding i prefer cash, if i dont have the money, i cannot afford it
    any purchases for my business is now done with card, makes it easier for accounting

#45 6 years ago

The reason I prefer credit cards (aside from rewards points). If I have money in my wallet and it's stolen, it's gone, whether it's $1 or $1000. If someone steals my credit card information, I'm not out a single penny for the losses.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Ten days is ridiculous! I've had my credit card compromised at least half a dozen times over the years, and each time they overnighted me a new card.

I've had this happen multiple times. Every time I haven't paid a cent and had a new card the next day. The worst part is going thru all my auto pay stuff and updating to the new number.

Now this only applies to credit cards. If you use your debit card than that's another story. I never ever use my debit card for anything as it is a direct link to my bank account. I had that compromised one time and it took a month to get the money back. The only thing i ever use my debit card for is getting money from the ATM which I rarely do.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Now this only applies to credit cards. If you use your debit card than that's another story. I never ever use my debit card for anything as it is a direct link to my bank account. I had that compromised one time and it took a month to get the money back. The only thing i ever use my debit card for is getting money from the ATM which I rarely do.

Agreed! I don't even have a debit card, just a regular ATM card. I got into an argument with my bank about a decade ago, saying I didn't want a debit card. They insisted that was the only option, that they couldn't issue a regular ATM card. So I said, "Fine, if you can't give me an ATM card, I'd like to close my account please." The person sighed, opened a drawer, pulled out an ATM card, and gave it to me. I should've closed the account on principle right there, but I didn't.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

Agreed! I don't even have a debit card, just a regular ATM card. I got into an argument with my bank about a decade ago, saying I didn't want a debit card. They insisted that was the only option, that they couldn't issue a regular ATM card. So I said, "Fine, if you can't give me an ATM card, I'd like to close my account please." The person sighed, opened a drawer, pulled out an ATM card, and gave it to me. I should've closed the account on principle right there, but I didn't.

Ha! I tried the same thing but ended up with a debit card. I hate even having it. It's a direct link to steal my cash. It's really the only card I worry about.

#49 6 years ago

Yup mine told me this on the 22nd of February and so I had to leave and come back the next day with a check from my wifes checkbook. What a pain. And then on top of that they lost a $700 (insured) playfield and they can't tell me any details without a investigation that will take 1-8 more business days. You'd think they would already know exactly what happened to the package/crate. UGH!! I don't plan to be shipping playfields anymore as this is not the first time this has happened. UPS SUCKS!!

The problem with the no cash thing is coming from people abusing the system and taking off without paying and it makes it harder for all the honest do good people in the world that now have to change our lives to accommodate the thieves. I hate getting gas and having to prepay when I don't know how much my gas tank will hold and I sure don't want to go back in and stand in line again to get back $3 because I over paid. Double ugh!!
    All the honest people in the world can't win.

John

#50 6 years ago

Love being in line behind some stupid asshole whose credit card won't work when trying to make an under $5 purchase and doesn't have the brains or courtesy to open up his wallet and throw out a 5 dollar bill to get the show on the road.

There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-ups-not-taking-cash-anymore?hl=dngrwillrobinson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.