1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 130 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Rascal_H
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E8436691-4054-4974-BFF2-A4FF87E5B100 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    Krv6QQM (resized).jpg
    262y8j (resized).jpg

There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'm not seeing any headlines or other forum posts about this. I would think it would be big news if it was widespread.
    Maybe some sort of misunderstanding? Maybe the cash drawer wasn't functioning that day?

No sir, large sign he turned around for me and it said as of September 2017 not taking cash. UPS at the Rockford airport. And the guy has worked there quite sometime.

#102 1 year ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Also, am I the only crazy guy that will stop to pick up a penny in the parking lot?
    I love going to the upscale places when the wife wants to go out shopping -- sometimes I find the silver coins there.

I grab them all off the ground.

#103 1 year ago

E8436691-4054-4974-BFF2-A4FF87E5B100 (resized).jpeg

This note is legal tender for all debt public and private.

#104 1 year ago

Just think about the strippers.

#105 1 year ago

And the homeless.

#106 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ven:

The issue with non cash/check transactions is that the card companies "debit and credit" are making money off of every single transaction.

I don't disagree with you, I'm just saying that the cash only place didn't really advertise well that they were cash only, and it drove me crazy having to wallow over to the ridiculously overpriced ATM to get cash out. TD Bank hits me twice. Once with the ATM fee, and another fee from TD for using a "non TD ATM."

Sure, the establishment would have to pay for credit card services, but the convenience factor of being able to accept any form of payment for customers would certainly incentivize me to patronize them more frequently.

But that's neither here nor there. I'm just saying that for me personally, I very rarely (if ever) carry cash anymore, and I've come to prefer it.

#107 1 year ago
    Quoted from John_I:

LOL! You do realize that literally everything you buy has 3-5% extra baked into the price to account for the credit card FEES. You pay fees with every purchase you make unless you buy from a cash only place or Pinball Resource. The only reason the credit cards can afford to give you a little "reach around" with some miles or points is because they are taking you from behind for two or three times the "rewards".

That isn't true. You pay the same price for credit or cash. The fees do exist and do cause the price to go up but the only sucker is the guy that paid cash and didn't get his fee refunded in points. I still pay cash for things where I can haggle a good discount for it which still happens pretty frequently on larger purchases or paying contractors where they actually do discount the fee away.

#108 1 year ago

Ask for a cash discount I know my dentist and mechanic take them.

It also helps that they are the same guy

Quoted from Rascal_H:

And the homeless.

One of the biggest backers of keeping the penny are charities. They receive millions in change and it would be a significant blow for charitable causes.

#109 1 year ago
    Quoted from jester523:

In Arizona, you get charged a fee if you deposit more than $5000 a month in cash in the bank. I think that's pretty crazy.

Yeah, it sounds crazy. I cannot find anywhere with a Google search that you get hit with fees for monthly deposit totals that exceed $5,000.00. What AZ bank charges those kind of fees, please ?

#110 1 year ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The cash registers are so smart now they tell the clerk how much change to give. Without that feature we would be in big trouble.

I agree, it would be worse without the smart registers. But it is painful to stand there and watch the clerk struggle to count out 43 cents worth of change. 43 cents is fresh in my mind because I was given four dimes and three pennies last week. It was not one nickel, one dime, one quarter and three pennies. The clerk could not add 5+ 10+ 25 + 3 = 43 ! So I got four dimes plus three pennies.

#111 1 year ago
    Quoted from smokey_789:

If you refuse to carry cash, wait till you pull into a town that lost power. You WILL NOT get gas, lodging or food.

Dude, if you pull into a town with no power it does not matter how much cash you have in your pocket. You ain't getting any gas because the gas pumps pump gas with electric motors. No power means no pumps pumping.

#112 1 year ago

On small purchases of under $20.00, I usually go cash and yes I have coins in my pocket. If there isn't a line, I will give exact change.
    For anything over that or gas, CC is my normal option. However, on large purchases, I always ask if there is a discount for paying cash. Sometimes there is and sometimes there isn't.

#113 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Dude, if you pull into a town with no power it does not matter how much cash you have in your pocket. You ain't getting any gas because the gas pumps pump gas with electric motors. No power means no pumps pumping.

Don't know about other states, but in Florida many gas stations have backup generators so gas can still be pumped during natural disasters.

#114 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I agree, it would be worse without the smart registers. But it is painful to stand there and watch the clerk struggle to count out 43 cents worth of change. 43 cents is fresh in my mind because I was given four dimes and three pennies last week.

That's when you need to hand him an extra 43 cents along with your paper money when you pay to really put him into a tailspin. If that don't get him to put down his phone and start thinking again, nothing will.

#115 1 year ago
    Quoted from timtim:

Just think about the strippers.

Damn straight

#116 1 year ago

I don't see how anyone would want to pay the check in a restaurant using a credit card. As soon as I'm handed the check, I put the cash on the table and leave. Otherwise you have to wait for the waitress to come back 5 minutes later (10 if it's a busy night) to take your credit card. Then another 5 or 10 minutes later, they come back with your card and receipt for you to sign. Waiting that extra 10 or 20 minutes twiddling your thumbs when you just want to get the hell outta there is excruciating. And with your card, they can easily bump up your tip and you probably would not even remember the exact amount you wrote down to compare with your monthly statement.

#117 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Yeah, it sounds crazy. I cannot find anywhere with a Google search that you get hit with fees for monthly deposit totals that exceed $5,000.00. What AZ bank charges those kind of fees, please ?

Every AZ bank from what I'm told. I use midfirst and chase. These are both business accounts though. So maybe business only? I found out because there was a fee on my bank statement at midfirst, so I called to ask what it was and they told me it was because I deposited too much cash in that month. I then went to chase and opened an account there and they told me it's a state thing. The limit is five 5k per month at chase but if you have over 100k they waive the fee.

The banker told me you can "get around it" by depositing cash in the atm.

Edit - I think it's just business accounts (You can see cash deposit fees in the chase link below)
    https://www.chase.com/business/checking

#118 1 year ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

I’m just tired of everybody having their hands in my pocket. Govt takes income tax on the front end, govt get sales tax on back end, cc companies get a percentage here and there. Banks get their fees to hold the money. Seems no money can be moved or even not moved without cost.

If that's the case, I hope you don't complain about bad road or when you call 911 and the police don't show up until 45 minutes later.

#119 1 year ago
    Quoted from fattdirk:

That isn't true. You pay the same price for credit or cash. The fees do exist and do cause the price to go up but the only sucker is the guy that paid cash and didn't get his fee refunded in points.

I agree with this in part, but you are not getting it all back in points. Ask anyone who owns a business. The credit cards charge a fee for all credit card purchases. Plus they charge fees for the equipment, etc. To that business the added expense of taking credit cards is simply extra overhead that gets passed onto the customer by making all the items cost more. So yes, cash and credit prices are the same. They BOTH have the extra credit cards fees baked into the price to make things simple. That is kind of ironic at this point that people paying cash are in essence paying a credit card fee!

Fact is that the credit card companies don't want you to understand this. Those rewards they give you are small compared to the fees that you pay on every purchase. Like I said above, I do everything I can to maximize my rewards and I use credit for almost everything. It still costs me extra every time I buy something - except in a cash only business. Minimizing the cost is what counts.

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/california-court-ruling-no-card-surcharge-law.php

#120 1 year ago

There's a Subway restaurant in the building I work. The last several weeks I've gone there, they tell me the card machine doesn't work. "Just give me $7.00" (or whatever price), the guy would say, it was always a whole number. They would never ring it on the cash register, and put the cash below the register. I know they were pocketing the money. After a few times of this happening, I stopped going there.

The store is now closed.

#121 1 year ago
    Quoted from jester523:

Every AZ bank from what I'm told. I use midfirst and chase. These are both business accounts though. So maybe business only? I found out because there was a fee on my bank statement at midfirst, so I called to ask what it was and they told me it was because I deposited too much cash in that month. I then went to chase and opened an account there and they told me it's a state thing. The limit is five 5k per month at chase but if you have over 100k they waive the fee.
    The banker told me you can "get around it" by depositing cash in the atm.
    Edit - I think it's just business accounts (You can see cash deposit fees in the chase link below)
    https://www.chase.com/business/checking

I looked at the Chase link. I see a bank with 3 tier levels of accounts. If you are a small business, for a $1500.00 balance you get free checking and the agreement that you can deposit up to $5000.00 cash per month with no extra fees. Banks have to hire people to count and handle cash whereas direct deposits are a no-labor transaction. So, if you want to run a lot of cash through your checking account and you don't want to deposit a larger amount of cash so the bank can make some interest off of your cash to help offset bank's labor cost of handling your cash deposits the then you are going ot pay a fee.

In that link, it shows that Chase allows you so many transactions per month before any fees are accessed. Unspoken is what the bank would define as a transaction. Also unspoken is how the bank classifies any checks you deposit. Checks, like cash, need human interaction; so does the bank classify any check in your deposits as cash? Or does each check you deposit count as one transaction?

The banker telling you that you can "get around it" by depositing at the ATM sounds strange. I just don't see every business owner lined up at the ATM to deposit of thousands of dollars of cash to avoid a $15.00 monthly fee.

So, I see a bank making its own policies for business checking accounts. I don't see anything anywhere that supports the notion that Arizona has some cash deposit limit in effect. I not saying that AZ does not have a law about cash deposits but I cannot find anything anywhere that talks about it.

#122 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I agree, it would be worse without the smart registers. But it is painful to stand there and watch the clerk struggle to count out 43 cents worth of change. 43 cents is fresh in my mind because I was given four dimes and three pennies last week. It was not one nickel, one dime, one quarter and three pennies. The clerk could not add 5+ 10+ 25 + 3 = 43 ! So I got four dimes plus three pennies.

There are times when I like to mess with the heads of the younger generation. Lets say I make a purchase totaling $7.87 -- I have in times past given the register person $13.37 because I didn't have a fiver. The look of confusion on their face is often priceless. . . "Uh, sir, this is too much." I tell them to just punch the numbers into their machine and I get a nice even $5.50 back. I get to walk away with fewer coins in my pocket and the satisfaction that I can still do math in my head. . . and perhaps the thought that the check out person might actually go back to think about what just happened (but probably not ).

#123 1 year ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

There are times when I like to mess with the heads of the younger generation. Lets say I make a purchase totaling $7.87 -- I have in times past given the register person $13.37 because I didn't have a fiver. The look of confusion on their face is often priceless. . . "Uh, sir, this is too much." I tell them to just punch the numbers into their machine and I get a nice even $5.50 back. I get to walk away with fewer coins in my pocket and the satisfaction that I can still do math in my head. . . and perhaps the thought that the check out person might actually go back to think about what just happened (but probably not ).

Often times they are concerned you are doing a quick change scam and don't want to be responsible for the lost money. I fell for one in my youth and I was/still am excellent at math. Trick is to slow down and make sure you are not trying to trick me (cashier).

#124 1 year ago

Look at it like this: if I pay 10 dollar to a business, they do not get the full 10 dollars but have to give some percentage to the creditcard company. If this happens say 50 times or whatever, the original 10 dollars are gone in cost.

If I pay 10 dollar cash, this 10 dollar can be spent over and over again without any cost whatsoever.

Think about it.

#125 1 year ago

My wallet is pretty much cashless too...especially when I hit up some of my favorite spots in Vegas.

#126 1 year ago
    Quoted from ronaldvg:

Look at it like this: if I pay 10 dollar to a business, they do not get the full 10 dollars but have to give some percentage to the creditcard company. If this happens say 50 times or whatever, the original 10 dollars are gone in cost.
    If I pay 10 dollar cash, this 10 dollar can be spent over and over again without any cost whatsoever.
    Think about it.

The money does not decay or disappear....

Your 50 times theory has the cost paid 50 times as well. Margin they have on your sale... is still the same.

You paid 10.... the business will get x, the gov will get y, the payment processor will get z, etc. the flaw in your thinking is that you gave the business 10. No, they collected 10... not got 10 for themselves.

#127 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

The money does not decay or disappear....
    Your 50 times theory has the cost paid 50 times as well. Margin they have on your sale... is still the same.
    You paid 10.... the business will get x, the gov will get y, the payment processor will get z, etc. the flaw in your thinking is that you gave the business 10. No, they collected 10... not got 10 for themselves.

Yes, that is true, but if I pay in cash everything you say applies EXCEPT the creditcard cost. That goes off of the margin of the business however you look at it. Off course they then pay more tax in the long run but that is only a percentage of the extra margin, not the complete extra margin.

#128 1 year ago

In the US this paying with creditcards is very widespread and accepted and the cost is often (not always I know) included in the prices of the things you buy. Over here we have a culture of debitcards.

To make my example of my previous post clearer: if I pay a webshop here with creditcard they will add these costs to the order and I have to pay them. Using a debitcard here is almost always for free.

#129 1 year ago
    Quoted from timtim:

well i guess I'm the only one that pretty much only uses cash.
    After having a cc number stolen, I pretty much went cash only besides bills. I have one credit card for just in case
    I understand the other side of the argument but I like my money to be physical.
    and those chips on the cards are so annoying

nope, you're not alone. i always use cash when possible.
    i don't see myself paying with a cc at a hot dog stand, a soft drink or a bottle of water.
    you see something for sale at a flea market or anywhere, that's when i like to have money on me, i always do.
    it pisses me off when i see someone holding the line with a cc for a $1 item.

i do use credit cards when it's the right/only choice.

#130 1 year ago

Between this and Mezel’s FedEx boycott DHL must be doing gangbusters.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 53.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 45.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 0.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 36.99
    £ 39.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 0.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 79.00
    $ 218.00
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside