Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 130 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Rascal_H
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E8436691-4054-4974-BFF2-A4FF87E5B100 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    Krv6QQM (resized).jpg
    262y8j (resized).jpg
    There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 6 years ago

I prefer FedEx by the way

#52 6 years ago

I'm in the cash must stay group. I do not like being tracked every minute of the day, as they do. Little example: if you made a purchase with a card at a supermarket and it gets robbed at about the same time as you were there, chances are you will be contacted for information. If I would have something to report, I would definately do it, no need to look me up for that.

Also the stores use this info to further profile you as a customer and WILL use it for direct advertising and I HATE all the advertising going on on TV and Internet and Youtube and on the phones and so on. Driving me crazy and this has unbelievable impacts for society as a whole.

Also how will you do transactions between private persons ? Do I need to be able to accept creditcards at my home, and Apple Pay and Samsung Pay and fluffy something pay ? Or bitcoin ? Or whatever ?? There is a simple solution and that is called cash. If cash is no longer supported than Big Brother has won everything.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Not to be the conspiracy guy that I am, cashless society they will track you even further . Say you have a garage sale and sell $200.00 worth of already discounted items, now your out more. Not like they tax us enough as it is.

Are you saying you are out more because of the CC fees or taxes? If you are selling stuff at a garage sale it's usually not considered income as it's sold at a loss and therefore not taxable. The govt only cares if you make a business out of it, and are making a profit. At least for now.

In Arizona, you get charged a fee if you deposit more than $5000 a month in cash in the bank. I think that's pretty crazy.

#54 6 years ago
    Quoted from ronaldvg:

I do not like being tracked every minute of the day, as they do.

Beside the traditional convenience, that is one of the main reasons I use and prefer cash whenever possible. It is nobody's business but my own how much I spend and what I spend it on. Or even what I might sell or how much I sell it for. Not to mention the security of not putting any more personal information out there than I have to.

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from ronaldvg:

I'm in the cash must stay group. I do not like being tracked every minute of the day, as they do. Little example: if you made a purchase with a card at a supermarket and it gets robbed at about the same time as you were there, chances are you will be contacted for information. If I would have something to report, I would definately do it, no need to look me up for that.
    Also the stores use this info to further profile you as a customer and WILL use it for direct advertising and I HATE all the advertising going on on TV and Internet and Youtube and on the phones and so on. Driving me crazy and this has unbelievable impacts for society as a whole.
    Also how will you do transactions between private persons ? Do I need to be able to accept creditcards at my home, and Apple Pay and Samsung Pay and fluffy something pay ? Or bitcoin ? Or whatever ?? There is a simple solution and that is called cash. If cash is no longer supported than Big Brother has won everything.

Quoted from o-din:

Beside the traditional convenience, that is one of the main reasons I use and prefer cash whenever possible. It is nobody's business but my own how much I spend and what I spend it on. Or even what I might sell or how much I sell it for. Not to mention the security of not putting any more personal information out there than I have to.

^^This^^

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from gtxjoe:

No problem. Paid for everything using Apple Pay. I am now a convert.

I'm hooked on Samsung phones now as a result of using Samsung Pay. I get cash back from the credit card company, Samsung, and they offer pretty decent discounts on gift cards from time to time. Oh yeah, it's also very convenient

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Love being in line behind some stupid asshole whose credit card won't work when...

Man you think that's bad, what aboot the person behind you that has to wait for you to get your quill & checkbook out.

#58 6 years ago

262y8j (resized).jpg262y8j (resized).jpg

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

what aboot the person behind you that has to wait for you to get your quill & checkbook out.

I give the old ladies a pass on that one.

But younger people that hold up the line with their lame cards or devices to make a simple purchase should all be put out on some ice flow and left to fend for themselves.

#60 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

But younger people that hold up the line with their lame cards or devices to make a simple purchase should all be put out on some ice flow and left to fend for themselves.

You think that's bad, what aboot the people behind you that have to wait for the clerk to weigh out your gold dust?

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You think that's bad, what aboot the people behind you that have to wait for the clerk to weigh out your gold dust?

Krv6QQM (resized).jpgKrv6QQM (resized).jpg

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I give the old ladies a pass on that one.

Have you ever timed a 7-11 employee counting loose change? I'll take the lame card/device every time. The real holdup is always the old folks buying lotto tickets anyway.

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Have you ever timed a 7-11 employee counting loose change? I'll take the lame card/device every time. The real holdup is always the old folks buying lotto tickets anyway.

The cash registers are so smart now they tell the clerk how much change to give. Without that feature we would be in big trouble. Sometimes they don't even notice a customer standing there as they tap away on their stupid phones.

Yes the lottery buyers can be a holdup. But anytime somebody pulls out a phone or card when paying, I know good and well I may be standing there for a while.

Even something as simple as paying to go bowling, we stood there for 10-15 minutes while some lady figured out how to download and get some app to work so she could save a couple dollars.

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The cash registers are so smart now they tell the clerk how much change to give.

I'm taking about when the customer pays with change. It's either that, the lotto folks, or the person trying to get the best deal on their cheap smokes. Let's not forget the worst of the worst, the person who didn't bring enough change and expects everyone to wait while they go digging under their car seats. Ha!

#65 6 years ago

it does not matter if it is cash or card, the annoying time wasters are those who act as if it is their first time buying anything
    oh, i left my wallet in the car
    i forgot my pin
    how do i insert my card?
    you dont mind if i pay in small change, it is all money

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I'm taking about when the customer pays with change.

Sometimes I go in and pay with all pennies or change because that's where I got it in the first place.

If that causes some kind of holdup for those behind me that want to pay with a card or fiddle fk around with their phone, for some reason I don't really feel that bad about it. And I'm sure those that hold up the line because of their malfunctions probably don't give a shit about those waiting behind them either.

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Love being in line behind some stupid asshole whose credit card won't work when trying to make an under $5 purchase and doesn't have the brains or courtesy to open up his wallet and throw out a 5 dollar bill to get the show on the road.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Man you think that's bad, what aboot the person behind you that has to wait for you to get your quill & checkbook out.

Wonder if a generation from now the person behind me in line will be thinking "Hurry up Dude, Scan you Eyeball Already!" as I fumble with my old fashioned form of payment.

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Wonder if a generation from now the person behind me in line will be thinking "Hurry up Dude, Scan you Eyeball Already!" as I fumble with my old fashioned form of payment.

The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

Down here, if you have a tat like that, you are probably paying with an EBT card.

#70 6 years ago

If you refuse to carry cash, wait till you pull into a town that lost power. You WILL NOT get gas, lodging or food.

#71 6 years ago

As a business owner, I prefer cash or check as a form of payment. Not hiding from taxes, believe me I pay those. At the end of the year the card charge companies send me statements with a summary of their fees. Those fees are in the five figure range -- money that I would have much preferred keep in the business but that is the cost of convenience.

I was raised in a cash family, I get a laugh thinking back to my wedding. All the gifts from the wife's family were packages to open, all the gifts from my side were envelopes with cash.

I do have/use a card for some business purposes and it gets paid off every month. Also have a personal card for purchases that cannot be made locally, also paid off every month. I don't worry about points, just have the ones that give 2% cash back. I only have a debit card linked to a Health Savings account, and that is because the eye doctor stopped taking checks/cash as well.

The convenience of credit is nice for some, but I always try to pay cash when I can to help the next business owner or person avoid the middle man. My apologies if I hold up the line. . .

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Sometimes I go in and pay with all pennies or change because that's where I got it in the first place.
    If that causes some kind of holdup for those behind me that want to pay with...

This is classic thinking right here. I hate people that take a bunch of time but I can take a bunch of time because it's me.

My big one is almost running over college students walking in the road and calling them assholes and then I do the same thing and say "Screw you I'm a townie!"

#73 6 years ago

Also, am I the only crazy guy that will stop to pick up a penny in the parking lot?

I love going to the upscale places when the wife wants to go out shopping -- sometimes I find the silver coins there.

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Even something as simple as paying to go bowling, we stood there for 10-15 minutes while some lady figured out how to download and get some app to work so she could save a couple dollars.

This site is made up of people who complain over a few dollars in shipping charges.

Text the lady a link to Pinside, she'll love it.

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Also, am I the only crazy guy that will stop to pick up a penny in the parking lot?

Only if it's head up

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Went to the main UPS to send out a package and evidently they stopped taking cash in in September 2017. I asked why and he thought because they are at the airport but wasn't sure.
    I personally do not want to go down the cashless road.....

We recently flew back from LAX to Tucson and checked 3 bags at the inside counter . Employee said $75 I handed her $100 bill and she almost fell over . "I'm sorry sir do you have cc ? " I said nope .
    Well I don't have change . I said you don't have $25 bucks . We'll this may take me 15minutes . I said ok , or you could just comp the bags .
    Off she stormed came back so frustrated forgot to give us our boarding passes and IDs back

Are you kidding me

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I am not above picking up something if I think it has value, but not a penny. I've found too many things that have "stuff" on them.

#78 6 years ago

Almost forgot the time when cash was all I used. When was that, about 20 years ago?

#79 6 years ago

I pay cash for just about everything. If I pay cash I know I made the purchase. There is too big a chance of fraud with credit/debit cards. Since I have the memory of a goldfish, I don’t want to have to go through my statements every month and try to remember if I spent $17 at some random 7-11 4 weeks ago, or whether someone else did.

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from smokey_789:

If you refuse to carry cash, wait till you pull into a town that lost power. You WILL NOT get gas, lodging or food.

This isn't true. Most business still keep an old swiper and paper receipts and will take your card.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/credit-card-debt-surpasses-trillion-us-time/story?id=53608548&;

I guess people are way dumber than I thought!! Over a trillion. LOL!

#81 6 years ago

I work for a major pharmacy chain, I'm more then happy to go cashless if we do. Atleast 1 of our stores a week in the area are robbed at gun point for pennies. Try explaining to someone that makes 9.50 hr that it's just part of the business model and that we are going to do whatever it takes to insure there safety..
    (Meaning absolutely nothing and that having a guard inside the store is not cost effective in this unstable retail/pharmacy market) best thing to do is give them what they so they won't be back for a month.

Needless to say I'll be super happy if cashless is more excepted in "merica"

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from tdiddy:

Try explaining to someone that makes 9.50 hr that...

For how goddamn slow these places are they should be thrilled to be making that much bank!

#83 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

The only stupid people are the ones spending more than they make and making an interest payment. I have never in my life paid a cent of interest or a fee to a credit card company.

LOL! You do realize that literally everything you buy has 3-5% extra baked into the price to account for the credit card FEES. You pay fees with every purchase you make unless you buy from a cash only place or Pinball Resource. The only reason the credit cards can afford to give you a little "reach around" with some miles or points is because they are taking you from behind for two or three times the "rewards".

Back in the old days they had to run your credit card through the machine with a carbon copy and paperwork to be filed. I can kind of understand 3% back then. In this day and age of electronic transfers, these fees are insane. The credit card companies could make a killing on 0.3% if they did away with the rewards and actually put a tiny bit of effort into stopping cards from being compromised.

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

This isn't true. Most business still keep an old swiper and paper receipts and will take your card.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Business/credit-card-debt-surpasses-trillion-us-time/story?id=53608548&;
    I guess people are way dumber than I thought!! Over a trillion. LOL!

Uh, yes it is. They did away with them when they rolled out EMV last year. You find a place that has one, they are out of compliance.

#85 6 years ago

I will miss playing craps if cash is eliminated.

#86 6 years ago

I prefer cash, I'm not loaded so I like to see cash physically come & go. I also hate monitoring my statements for scumbags buying steaks & booze on my dime. I only use my cc for gas purchases anymore simply because I hate prepaying. I don't see the appeal of a cashless society when fraud is rampant

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

This is classic thinking right here. I hate people that take a bunch of time but I can take a bunch of time because it's me.
    My big one is almost running over college students walking in the road and calling them assholes and then I do the same thing and say "Screw you I'm a townie!"

Well, the way I see it is it is my 7-11 and my town and everybody else that doesn't look familiar or do things the way things have always been done is just a tourist and better get out of my way and don't waste my time.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule.

Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg

#88 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Huh, I guess I'm in the minority here then. I much prefer to not use cash. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had paper money in my pocket, much less coinage. We went to a small hole in the wall pizza joint near me the other day that was cash only. Drove me nuts, and I can't help but think they're doing it to dodge taxes. They just lease a small ATM machine with an absurd surcharge. So in a pinch, you're still swiping your card, and paying more for it.

How about doing it to dodge the exorbitant fees of the CC you are using so you can earn your "rewards"?

#89 6 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

How about doing it to dodge the exorbitant fees of the CC you are using so you can earn your "rewards"?

Fees?

#90 6 years ago

Read closer. He was questioning a pizza joint doing cash-only and suggesting they are trying to dodge something. And I'm saying they are trying to dodge fees. $1 - 2 per swipe plus 1-3% of your purchase price billed to the business isn't uncommon .... for your convenience and the eventual "rewards" for using it. If you are a pizza guy trying to stay afloat, that can add up.

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

Don't see too many cash discounts anymore, but I pay cash if they offer one. If they don't, I pay with the credit card. I usually get close to $1K in cash back every year from my CC. Why would you not take advantage of that?

#92 6 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I usually get close to $1K in cash back every year from my CC. Why would you not take advantage of that?

Stupidity.

#93 6 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Don't see too many cash discounts anymore, ...

The only ones I regularly see are for gas.

#94 6 years ago

Everytime I go to the US I am surprised how much people still use cash and cheques. I go months without using cash now and it is no big deal here to pay for very small (less than $1) items with a card. With tap and go it takes about 2 seconds and a a couple more on larger items if I need to use a pin. Cheques are dead as you can do a direct payment to anyone with an account for nothing that will post either minutes, or worst case overnight.

#95 6 years ago
    Quoted from clg:

With tap and go it takes about 2 seconds and a a couple more ...

Yeah since everything switched over to a chip on CC here now it seems to have slowed things down more than ever. Spend a lot of awkward time staring a the card reader.

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah since everything switched over to a chip on CC here now it seems to have slowed things down more than ever. Spend a lot of awkward time staring a the card reader.

another weird US thing.. its not like that overseas. Even when the banks here FINALLY moved to Chip.. they still screwed it up with chip+sign cards.

#97 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

That is right they are slower there I forgot about that. CC chips here are super fast a second or two if it is less than $80. More than $80 and you need to put a pin in so a bit longer. I hate it when someone doesn't have tap and go here and you have to insert the card.

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Don't see too many cash discounts anymore, but I pay cash if they offer one. If they don't, I pay with the credit card. I usually get close to $1K in cash back every year from my CC. Why would you not take advantage of that?

If the pizza chain isn't accepting cards, there is no cash discount to provide. You see $1k back every year from the fees you are forcing on the retailer. I blink when it is local and particularly a small shop in town. I bring cash or check for those. If that means they stay longer in business and still charge me the same as CC and puts a little less fee in their pocket, I'm happy for helping.

#99 6 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

If the pizza chain isn't accepting cards, there is no cash discount to provide. You see $1k back every year from the fees you are forcing on the retailer. I blink when it is local and particularly a small shop in town. I bring cash or check for those. If that means they stay longer in business and still charge me the same as CC and puts a little less fee in their pocket, I'm happy for helping.

Sure there is. If the pizza chain isn't accepting cards by now, they will raise prices if they ever start. If they do start accepting cards, the onus is on them to continue providing that cash discount. As stated previously, I will oblige. Most of them won't continue to offer the cash discount though. Now who is forcing whom?

#100 6 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I usually get close to $1K in cash back every year from my CC. Why would you not take advantage of that?

True, you might as well. I receive tons of Hilton points from my Amex and cash back from my Discover. I use them as much as possible unless there is a cash discount. On the other hand I do understand that those rewards are somewhere around a third of the *fees* they are charging the me and the businesses for the use of the card. That cash back, skymiles, Hilton Points, etc, etc are a really, really bad deal in the long run. I would love to have a business where I do nothing all day but hand people one dollar for every three they hand me.

Quoted from mcluvin:

Most of them won't continue to offer the cash discount though. Now who is forcing whom?

Yep it sucks, but that is the way things are. The 3-5% is built in to almost everything we buy because it is just simpler on everyone. Convenience has a cost.

There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-ups-not-taking-cash-anymore/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.