Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

033.JPG
042.JPG
20171117_210326 (resized).jpg
5a65a8cceb615156e71aa735fd71102d2058ac64.jpg
IMG_5042 (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

I've been collecting pinball machines since 1996 and many times I've looked down upon DE games, but my opinion has slowly changed. I now think de games are among the best bang for the buck, and are a lot of fun for around 2k. Yeah, they do feel cheaper, however they have some really fun games, titles and themes. These are the games I've collected and kept over the years. I've basically had them all (de games), with a few exceptions. I welcome your guys opinions on what you think, love or hate. Feel free to post your feeling's on data east games, and or what you think. P.S i have a TMNT off to the side

IMG_5042 (resized).jpgIMG_5042 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

What are your top3 de games in your opinion?

#3 6 years ago

I think Secret Service is pretty cool!

5a65a8cceb615156e71aa735fd71102d2058ac64.jpg5a65a8cceb615156e71aa735fd71102d2058ac64.jpg

#4 6 years ago

i would say Guns and roses, tommy, and rocky and bullwinkle. it would be a tough call though.

#5 6 years ago

My top 3 DE Games TFTC, LAH, POTO. I love love love DE games!

#6 6 years ago

Guns n roses takes the 1st spot in my lineup, favorite DE title for me! Data east games are underrated though I agree!

20171117_210326 (resized).jpg20171117_210326 (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago

Always loved DE games, my first was the GnR. The staples in my line up are....

Secret Service
King Kong
Simpsons
Batman
Star Wars
Tales from the Crypt
GnR

Honorable mentions that don't have the DE name on them are...

Batman Forever
Apollo 13.

John

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from lostlumberjacks:

I've been collecting pinball machines since 1996 and many times I've looked down upon DE games, but my opinion has slowly changed. I now think de games are among the best bang for the buck, and are a lot of fun for around 2k. Yeah, they do feel cheaper, however they have some really fun games, titles and themes. These are the games I've collected and kept over the years. I've basically had them all (de games), with a few exceptions. I welcome your guys opinions on what you think, love or hate. Feel free to post your feeling's on data east games, and or what you think. P.S i have a TMNT off to the side

You're missing the best:TftC.

Quoted from Dayhuff:

Secret Service
King Kong
Simpsons
Batman
Star Wars
Tales from the Crypt
GnR
Batman Forever
Apollo 13.
John

Honorable mention: Maverick.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

Data east games are underrated though I agree!

Maintenance is a bitch!

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Maintenance is a bitch!

Other than the fuse clip issue which is easily resolved with soldering in new clips, I have not experienced maintenance issues on any of my DE machines that is beyond what I have experienced on my BW machines of the same era. I have DE Star Wars, Jurassic Park, and Rocky and Bullwinkle. I really like them all and would love to add a Last Action Hero. I bought Rocky and Bullwinkle on a whim because it was so cheap and was surprised by how much fun it is. I think DE machines get a bad rap undeservedly, but I guess that helps keep the prices down for those of us who like them.

#11 6 years ago

I've had tales from crypt, and last action but just didn't stay with me. Although with the pinsound board I bet the last action is a lot better. I really like the dot matrix ones the best for some reason. I have never had King Kong!

#12 6 years ago

I love Data East games I always have I have a time machine that's a great game....

#13 6 years ago

TFTC is the best in my opinion

But I really like the Data East machines...even though they get a lot of hate.

My ultimate DE collection would be TFTC, JP, LAH & Maverick

#14 6 years ago

I have 2 DE machines (TFTC and JP) and I play them as much as I do any of my other games. If TFTC and JP were made by B/W then they would not be nearly as affordable as they are now.

Gord

#15 6 years ago

I'm going for a semi fullset too, but you're missing one of the best gems from the data set. Time machine!

#16 6 years ago

If I was getting into the hobby today I would probably be building an all DE/Sega line up. My friend just recently picked up a Rocky and Bullwinkle and can't wait to play it. I have owned a GNR and Tommy briefly before and only thing that sorta annoys me is all the clicking from DE games.

#17 6 years ago

I own 3 DE's... GnR's / Tommy / Star Wars. I rate then in that order

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

only thing that sorta annoys me is all the clicking from DE games.

I agree with this. Not found in B/W games

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I agree with this. Not found in B/W games

I think thats the PPB relay. I'm working on a replacement board and was going to look into more modern options for that relay.

#20 6 years ago

I may be alone, but I love me some LW3. Good call outs, objectives, having to use the gun while ball is in play, and that ramp shot never gets old even if I hit it 27 times.

#21 6 years ago

Is it wrong that my favorite DE game is Hook? Underrated especially with the updated roms.

#22 6 years ago

The only de game that’s on my want list....Phantom of the Opera

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

You're missing the best:TftC.

Honorable mention: Maverick.

Yes Maverick is a great game but after looking at Mel Gibsons mug for three years it was time for it to go. Plus I only honorable mentioned games that I have in my collection at this moment, otherwise if I listed all the DE games I've owned then the list would be huge but many of them had to go.

John

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Yes Maverick is a great game but after looking at Mel Gibsons mug for three years it was time for it to go. Plus I only honorable mentioned games that I have in my collection at this moment.
John

Honorable mention, Frankenstein (a few were DE anyways) fantastic pinball game, very hard.

Guns N Roses for me, mines bolted to the floor.
Jurassic Park is very good now with tweaked code, Phantom of the Opera is excellent art/sound package which is second to none. Torpedo Alley is lots of fun.

I've always had a soft spot for Data East for some reason, even though they don't compare to the build and feel to a WPC, they're very different in that regard, which is maybe the reason I like them. It's also sort of impressive that games like JP and GNR were coded around essentially a system 11 copied board set, which was limited, but they managed to squeeze quite a bit out of them.

The one thing I do not like about Data East, is the chaotic and recycled sound bits they used, games like Hook, JP, Star Wars, etc, but that can now be remedied thanks to pinsound.

#25 6 years ago

I am really enjoying the Robocop I just bought.

#26 6 years ago

I finally broke down and bought a pinsound on black Friday. Bought it for tommy, but Jurassic park sound board took a poop. So it went into that. The difference is unbelievable. Like being in a movie theater. I agree on recycled sounds, very annoying, as well as that relay, clicking the the gi lights on and off.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Secret Service
King Kong
Simpsons
Batman
Star Wars
Tales from the Crypt
GnR
Batman Forever
Apollo 13.
John

You actually own a King Kong?

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from mgpasman:

You actually own a King Kong?

Yes sir. #009 to be exact.

John

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Yes sir. #009 to be exact.
John

Never seen one of those. Definitely one of the rare gems out there. Nice.

#30 6 years ago

i just sold my lethal weapon, and kinda wanted the last action but my friend sold it so it's out of reach.

i think data east is a mid level manufacturer, but they have some classic titles. my favorite data east is tales from the crypt by far. lethal weapon is super fun but gets a bit repetitive and mundane. they are super affordable and fun, however it seems that they did not really dedicate to their cause in their designs. Williams machines are much more fun and have deeper rule sets and longer staying power imo. i think the best bang for your buck is a 1990s Williams machine of any title.

if i had more money i would probably own at least three data east games because they are fun and have great artwork for the most part. overall though, i would put my money into a Williams or a newer stern. i just bought a metallica pro and am trying to get a simpsons pinball party next. nothing on the radar from data east at the moment because they get old kinda quick.

#31 6 years ago

I’ve got a BTTF, Star Wars and JP and love them all. Find them easy to work on, amazing themes, and lots of fun. I really want a GNR bad!!!

#32 6 years ago

Nice to see the DE love in here so used to keeping my mouth at the local pin joints were DE hate is prevalent. I just find it funny because they hate on them sell them cheap because they don't want to fix them but once they want a DE game they want it cheap because DE was cut rate stuff. Guess they realize the moon pricing on the 90's B/W games is forcing them to buy other games. Would i own more Dataeast games yes put them next to my Gottliebs and be proud of them.
Would add a Jurassic Park maybe a The Who's Tommy Pinball Wizard didn't get to play that one much in the past. Needed to revisit Tales from the Crypt been a long time since i played that one. Played a The Simpsons recently and was kinda disappointed but guess a retry I think Back to the Future: The Pinball is ok just not worth the price to me. Never felt the love for Last Action Hero enjoyed Star Wars but it's price has kept out of the collection. My Time Machine is still a work in progress saved it from being parted.

#33 6 years ago

I built a killer TFTC once with 7 different types of UV leds from Comet and a clear coated NOS playfield! Working on clearing a Guns n Roses now!

042.JPG042.JPG

033.JPG033.JPG

#34 6 years ago

On a side note, my son, who has probably shopped 25+ games says the data easts are the worse to shop out. He in the middle of doing the wwf on his christmas break.Ive found once you replace those few connectors on the power supply i think they are pretty reliable. Especially the surface mount connector from the transformer. The pin sound upgrade makes these games like new.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-ultimate-data-east-collection-opinions-welcomed?hl=head_boss_hog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.