(Topic ID: 254939)

My TZ odd duck playfield (relax I’m not going to do it)

By uncivil_engineer

17 days ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by kruzman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

08BEAEBD-BDBF-4387-969C-5965789567C2 (resized).jpeg
DC43C931-A4A5-44AE-8C51-E64B4CF92ACB (resized).jpeg
6DA88694-7E61-4E42-9A6B-B9C303B6915D (resized).jpeg
1F63B32A-45BC-419B-8E78-27B90C873E67 (resized).jpeg

#1 17 days ago

I picked this playfield up at a show this year to use in a future TZ restoration project. I am call it an ‘odd duck’ well because the playfield is rather odd...

It appears to be a proto playfield, with the whole for the third magnet, and the green lock insert. However I can’t find any date stamped on it anywhere, and the bar code field is blank. The other odd thing is there is little to no clear coat on the playfield.

1F63B32A-45BC-419B-8E78-27B90C873E67 (resized).jpeg

I got the playfield from a guy who has connections to Planetary Pinball, so I thing this may have been an aftermarket sample that came out of Rick’s stash.

The playfield is in overall good condition with one exception: just about every insert is slightly raised. All the insert borders are cracked and will have to be repainted. The worst are the arrow inserts. 6DA88694-7E61-4E42-9A6B-B9C303B6915D (resized).jpeg

It also has one scrap across the top, but I may leave this alone as it won’t be visible once installed.
08BEAEBD-BDBF-4387-969C-5965789567C2 (resized).jpeg

I’ve worked a few hours on the playfield trying to get all the inserts level, but most are not moving. They are not terribly raised, but most are up just enough to catch your finger nail.
DC43C931-A4A5-44AE-8C51-E64B4CF92ACB (resized).jpeg

So here is my plan moving forward: 1. I’m going to put an initial coat of clear on it (omni 2pack) 2. Repaint the cracked borders. 3. Come back with a heavier coat of clear, and try to level the playfield as much as possible without sanding through to the inserts. 4. One last coat of clear to finish it all up.

I’m open to suggestions on this plan if attack. I’ve never had much luck clearing playfields before, but I think I know why now (oil in my air lines). And the addition of a moisture trap at the spray gun seems to have fixed the issue.

Edit: I had no idea this was a prototype playfield. It’s going to a good home and I’m not going to clear coat it.

#2 17 days ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I picked this playfield up at a show this year to use in a future TZ restoration project. I am call it an ‘odd duck’ well because the playfield is rather odd...
It appears to be a proto playfield, with the whole for the third magnet, and the green lock insert. However I can’t find any date stamped on it anywhere, and the bar code field is blank. The other odd thing is there is little to no clear coat on the playfield.
[quoted image]
I got the playfield from a guy who has connections to Planetary Pinball, so I thing this may have been an aftermarket sample that came out of Rick’s stash.
The playfield is in overall good condition with one exception: just about every insert is slightly raised. All the insert borders are cracked and will have to be repainted. The worst are the arrow inserts. [quoted image]
It also has one scrap across the top, but I may leave this alone as it won’t be visible once installed.
[quoted image]
I’ve worked a few hours on the playfield trying to get all the inserts level, but most are not moving. They are not terribly raised, but most are up just enough to catch your finger nail.
[quoted image]
So here is my plan moving forward: 1. I’m going to put an initial coat of clear on it (omni 2pack) 2. Repaint the cracked borders. 3. Come back with a heavier coat of clear, and try to level the playfield as much as possible without sanding through to the inserts. 4. One last coat of clear to finish it all up.
I’m open to suggestions on this plan if attack. I’ve never had much luck clearing playfields before, but I think I know why now (oil in my air lines). And the addition of a moisture trap at the spray gun seems to have fixed the issue.

I have a suggestion. If this is a keeper for you then send it to kruzman and let him fix/clear it. You can't accomplish what that man does!

#3 17 days ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I have a suggestion. If this is a keeper for you then send it to kruzman and let him fix/clear it. You can't accomplish what that man does!

I’m sure he does quality work, but I don’t have the budget to send it out.

#4 17 days ago

For the record, that is a Prototype playfield. While neat, do NOT put it in a game, you will probably regret it, and anyone (not familiar to TZ at least) will be utterly confused.

Look at your Door Panel awards, the missing Clock Target insert, the red Dead End and Camera inserts.

It won't have a date on it, as it was a test run - a single run - from one of the PF manufacturers at the time.

It's very unique, and something like this - I would NOT do unless your a professional. Like others said - give it to Kruzman or Neo, let them do it //right//, please.

#5 17 days ago
Quoted from Coyote:

For the record, that is a Prototype playfield. While neat, do NOT put it in a game, you will probably regret it, and anyone (not familiar to TZ at least) will be utterly confused.
Look at your Door Panel awards, the missing Clock Target insert, the red Dead End and Camera inserts.
It won't have a date on it, as it was a test run - a single run - from one of the PF manufacturers at the time.
It's very unique, and something like this - I would NOT do unless your a professional. Like others said - give it to Kruzman or Neo, let them do it //right//, please.

That is entirely possible given its origin. I had not even noticed the missing clock millions insert. I may put this one on hold for a while. Too bad, I need a TZ playfield!

The condition of this playfield is not great. It has some mild planking along one side. I was going to use it because I picked it up fairly cheap.

#6 17 days ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

That is entirely possible given its origin. I had not even noticed the missing clock millions insert. I may put this one on hold for a while. Too bad, I need a TZ playfield!
The condition of this playfield is not great. It has some mild planking along one side. I was going to use it because I picked it up fairly cheap.

Using it in your game, while IS POSSILE, would be difficult - dimples (if it has any) would be off for many items. The inserts (like 'PLAYER PIANO') on the door wouldn't match up to what the game actually gives you, and so on.

Honestly, if you JUST NEED a TZ playfield? I will BUY you one from Mirco if you send me that one, as-is. I'll even pay for all the shipping.

But, see, I'm strange that way having done so much with this game.

#7 17 days ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Using it in your game, while IS POSSILE, would be difficult - dimples (if it has any) would be off for many items. The inserts (like 'PLAYER PIANO') on the door wouldn't match up to what the game actually gives you, and so on.
Honestly, if you JUST NEED a TZ playfield? I will BUY you one from Mirco if you send me that one, as-is. I'll even pay for all the shipping.
But, see, I'm strange that way having done so much with this game.

You my fine sir can have the playfield in exchange for a Mirco, I will pm you.

#8 16 days ago

Well it looks like I’ve made a trade. I knew when I picked this up that it was an early playfield, but I had no idea it was a prototype. I think it is going to a good home.

#9 16 days ago

I have a similar one, no 3rd magnet but it has the green lock and holes near the pop bumpers. It needs a clearcoat but is in nice shape. I plan on swapping mine as well as my current PF is pretty rough. Good luck with trade!

#10 16 days ago

Well that worked out. very cool!
I had a STTNG prototype pf. I say this not to brag, but it had a nutral zone hole that was huge. it wouldnt have worked with the rest of the parts on a regular game. I have never seen the proto game with this pf in it. I traded it to a fella who was such a star trek fan (I only have every episode of every version except enterprise) that he had one of captn kirks costumes!! He had all kinds of st stuff, but he had a gottlieb striker that is super rare, I believe they were all exported. If you dont know this game look it up on the data base.Super fun, And here comes to the old sellers remourse.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 999.00
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 14.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Davenport, IA
$ 209.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Milford, CT
$ 40.00
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 5.00
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Boards
PinSound
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Tinley Park, IL
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Pinball Vault
$ 234.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside