9CC58BC5-40AD-4C8E-B5BD-C2A3940C9AAF (resized).jpeg
IMG_3810 (resized).PNG
tzcake (resized).jpg
83564A35-DFD9-482C-8AC5-1E46EDACD2A0 (resized).jpeg
98102687-32EE-413C-9D6A-6282AE2BF0C1 (resized).jpeg
A3537A74-E59F-4985-A9ED-741460A73DE8 (resized).jpeg
BC242DC0-9189-45A5-B68B-08BDF8F7F9DE (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

Just finished playing my Twilight Zone on its 25th birthday - crazy to think this machine came out a quarter century ago!

I used to play TZ almost every day in high school when it was new at the local arcade, and after that also anytime I’d find one. Over the years, there were less and less of them around, and they were in worse and worse shape.

Eventually there was just one left in the city at the campus arcade in such badly maintained condition that it could barely spit the ball back out of the slot machine. The clock was broken. Bridge diverter on the right ramp was missing...you could really even play the thing. This was about 10 years ago, and pinball was pretty much dead at that time. Around here it was, anyways, and probably a lot of other places too.

I figured if I ever wanted to play this game again in the future, I’d have to buy one since there were just going to be less and less of them out there in worse and worse condition, so I posted an ad and bought one a few hours from me in decent shape. Everything worked, minor wear, and a bit of very minimal planking.. not bad!

That was 9 years ago, and I’ve kept it ticking along smoothly ever since, learning how to maintain it and repair it. Just rebuilt the entire bridge diverter mechanism on this one about a month ago since it was getting sloppy and worn out. Has incandescent #545 bulbs in the backbox. All stock with no mods, which is how I prefer it. And over the last while I’ve bought a new playfield, new plastics, and am just about finished gathering new replacements for all the parts and mechs that are showing their age in preparation for a restoration.

It still works great at 25 years, and after I bring it back to brand new condition, it might even outlast me, more or less, with just home use. At any rate, it’ll still look a lot better in another 25 years than I’d have imagined a machine could be when I was playing that last busted out routed machine ten years ago that caused me to enter this hobby.

Happy birthday, to my Twilight Zone!

And pinball on location actually came back from that near-death! Which if I’d known that was gonna happen would have saved me a lot of time and money, but then I wouldn’t have the pleasure of tinkering with this machine to keep it in shape.

83564A35-DFD9-482C-8AC5-1E46EDACD2A0 (resized).jpeg83564A35-DFD9-482C-8AC5-1E46EDACD2A0 (resized).jpeg98102687-32EE-413C-9D6A-6282AE2BF0C1 (resized).jpeg98102687-32EE-413C-9D6A-6282AE2BF0C1 (resized).jpegA3537A74-E59F-4985-A9ED-741460A73DE8 (resized).jpegA3537A74-E59F-4985-A9ED-741460A73DE8 (resized).jpegBC242DC0-9189-45A5-B68B-08BDF8F7F9DE (resized).jpegBC242DC0-9189-45A5-B68B-08BDF8F7F9DE (resized).jpeg
#2 5 years ago

Happy birthday to your TZ!

#3 5 years ago

A great game indeed!!

#4 5 years ago

Happy Birthday TZ!

tzcake (resized).jpgtzcake (resized).jpg
#5 5 years ago

What a great story! That's cool you noticed that.

I'll have to look at my WH2O build date. It might be 25 too. 1993 was quite a year for Williams/Bally.

#6 5 years ago

Mine's coming up soon.Best game eva!

#7 5 years ago

Whohoo, congrats!
A quarter of a freakin' century. Let that sink in.

#8 5 years ago

Congrats on a long history with your own copy of this great machine. I am approaching 5 years with mine, which to me is a long time. I got lucky finding an all original game myself. Love the incandescent myself, some games just have a great look with them. Such a great game with some great features that still haven't been matched by other games. Cheers to many more years of fun with TZ.

IMG_3810 (resized).PNGIMG_3810 (resized).PNG
#9 5 years ago

Good story. Happy birthday to your TZ!
A timeless classic.

#10 5 years ago

Miss my TZ love the robot shot.

It’s kind of sad that my TZ was not as reliable as my newer pins and somehow I gravitaed to newer pins over the years. I’ve got DI now as a slightly TZ ish pin and Woz has something of the layout feel but the original is still the king.

#11 5 years ago
9CC58BC5-40AD-4C8E-B5BD-C2A3940C9AAF (resized).jpeg9CC58BC5-40AD-4C8E-B5BD-C2A3940C9AAF (resized).jpeg
#12 5 years ago

I too remember playing TZ back when it was new. I wasn't that into pinball back then but TZ one of very few pins that really made an impression on me. It definitely feels like Lawlor and developers went all out on this one. I am really glad to be able to one one myself. There are lots of great pins but TZ always #1 to me.

#13 5 years ago

Yeah, it’s crazy.. a quarter century!

This is the title that really hooked me into pinball. A friend and I would go over lunch hour to a different arcade at the nearby mall at first where we got into DE’s Phantom of the Opera and Taxi initially, then that arcade at the mall was replaced by another bigger one (the days of anything like a new arcade at the mall are sure long gone) and they had a Funhouse machine.. which I thought was such a fun/creepy/cool game.

Then an arcade opened up across the street from the high school (smart business decision) and usually had four pinball machines. The core lineup was Twilight Zone, Addams Family, CFTBL, and then another would rotate in/out - Popeye, Bad Cats, etc. I’d play them all, but my friend and I would play TZ the most and we could play the thing most of the evening on 3 games/$1, just hitting replays. So much fun!

Got to know the operator of that arcade and would help out occassionally doing minor maintenance and stuff which got me shortly thereafter into collecting vids (which is much cheaper when you’re younger) and eventually pinball machines. And now here it is 25 years later and I’m still into it.

Funny thing: there’s a pinball place here that opened here a year or so ago, and a few weeks back I went to check it out finally with my gf. I ran into the same guy I played pinball with at that high school arcade there (who I hadn’t seen in a decade or more, and was there for the second time ever himself) as well as another guy who was around that arcade that we’d have hung around with. So mid-afternoon on a Sunday with 5-6 other people in the place, two of them were from that high school arcade.

As we’re leaving a bit later my gf says, “who were those two guys in there you were talking to?” And I say, “oh, yeah, it was the same people I saw last time I went to the arcade, like, 20 years ago”..

Really bizarre

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from DW3000:

And I say, “oh, yeah, it was the same people I saw last time I went to the arcade, like, 20 years ago”..
Really bizarre

Sounds like you entered...The Twilight Zone! Haha!

#15 5 years ago

Definitely one of the greats - always such a treat finding a clean one on location.

#16 5 years ago

Officially an antique now.

#17 5 years ago

Heck yeah! Mine celebrated 25 years on 6/17/93 as did my wife and I the same week so to celebrate our game is getting the Royal treatment (as is my anniversary gift) getting a Full #HEP makeover top to bottom to celebrate both anniversaries. So can't wait for her to arrive home. And to be married that long also...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-hep-awesome-anniversary-tz-dream-comes-true

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.50
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 132.00
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.95
$ 29.95
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 14.95
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-tz-just-turned-25-years-old-today and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.