So I did paint my coin door today, and while waiting for the paint to cure our, I decided to finish up my apron.
I was going to use the commonly available decals for this effort, but since the decals were only two color (blue and white), I decided to use my Cameo Silhouette 3 to cut the graphic and then I applied them with transfer tape.
I started by scanning my existing apron, and using the outline tools in Cameo Studio to creat a blue file, and a white file.
I’ve done a few aprons using this method, and the hardest part is removing the vinyl from the backing sheets from around fine line work, especially lettering. Experience has taught me to go very slow when working the material around the letters. Below is the final blue cut pieces ready for transfer tape.9F8DA71D-F3A4-4416-94B8-E4BB9ECAEEA4 (resized).jpegA40E91E2-FD9F-42F2-84E1-43FB633B1D61 (resized).jpeg2C2465DD-7997-4A38-8E13-1B5A357CA251 (resized).jpeg
I also did a white cut for the script in the middle of the apron.
I think it is easiest to work with the transfer tape if you have a large glass surface to work on, oh like the glass over a pinball playfield. So today my TAF got to pull duty as a work bench.
The first thing I did was cover each of the cut vinyl pieces with transfer tape.016AEDA5-31B6-40DF-8765-FB41189C3C6F (resized).jpeg
Then you can then place the vinyl transfer tape combo on the apron. You have to take care to get the alignment right before you press down on the combo to get the vinyl to stick.87260F5B-4397-425D-8FE0-09F2595FC3A5 (resized).jpeg
You then have to very carefully pull the transfer tape off the apron. You will need to have a hobby knife handy while doing this to help some of vinyl release from the tape. This is especially true around the lettering. It took me about 30 minutes to get all three blue pieces on.
I left some fine blue lines around the middle piece to serve as a reference mark for the white vinyl. Both pieces had the same mark. I just had to line them up to get a good match.7E75BE7B-50C9-4B79-86E8-9D89452AC5DD (resized).jpeg34584E36-337B-4912-B9B4-9ABA8896EFA7 (resized).jpeg
The apron turned out pretty nice. The only mistake I made was the middle section got a little off center, but I’ve seen factory aprons that looked worse. It does look a lot better than my banged up original.1891459F-376D-4CD3-954F-F04CBE0C33A3 (resized).jpeg