(Topic ID: 105853)

My TWD Pro arrived today - AMA (Ask Me Anything)

By e4mafia

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Nokoro
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4295.jpg
IMG_4294.JPG
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Delivered today, and put a few games on. My 11 year old daughter has already beaten me I did manage a 65 million on my second outing, but I have to admit there was a lot of flailing as I think I activated and stacked a couple of things, not realizing what I was doing, so there was a lot of luck there.

Things people were worried about that I don't sweat having it now -
- Drains off the ramps. Only the right ramp seems to be a STDM threat on a weak show, but it needs to be a really weak "I deserved that" kind of shot to get it.
- STDM from the pops. I don't see this being an issue, and once in a while, maybe, but a little nudge takes care of it. No worse than X-Men's.
- White inserts. There are no spotlights to help with GI. Its a damn cool effect when they periodically cut the inserts for an effect - the lights are just OUT and your blind for a second. Its a really really cool effect, and is an enhancement to gameplay, I think.

I'll be around if you have any questions - Now to fix lunch for the kids, and play some more!

#2 9 years ago

I have a question. Why did you get it on a day when I was busy and couldn't play it?!

#3 9 years ago

I believe you answered your own question

#4 9 years ago

Can you catch Ebola from a Zombie?

#5 9 years ago

Only ones that get sent home from Texas hospitals.

#6 9 years ago

How is the early code? Is at least enjoyable to play? Mode based? How are the multiball modes?

#7 9 years ago

When you lock a ball in front of the house what's the next step to start a MB?

#8 9 years ago

Activated a couple of multi balls so far. A prison one, and a well Walker one. Not entirely sure how I got them going. On the prison, once you get the red arrows up, and need to shoot each of them, then I think that kicks off the multi.
On the well walker, theres a mode before the multi as well, I haven't figured that out either, but it looks like you're trying to pull the walker out of the well first. So neither of them kick straight into multi, you need to earn them first.

The code is fun so far. Some obvious bugs, and it feels like theres lots still missing, but what is there is fun so far. I absolutely love the light cut off when you kill zombies, and hit the well walker.

#9 9 years ago

Thanks for explaining. I started the MB but had no idea how I did it.

#10 9 years ago

Is the code complete? Oh wait, thought this was a ST thread

Congrats on purchase, can't wait for mine!

#11 9 years ago

Did it come with coin mechs?

#12 9 years ago

Hi, congrats! I think the playfield resembles Metallica, which I love. If you have played MET please let me know if they feel similar or not. Thanks!

#13 9 years ago

Pics or it didn't happen

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from e4mafia:

I believe you answered your own question

Ouch! That's the last time I let you play Star Trek. (Better chance of keeping my Grand Champion score as well.)

Quoted from RobT:

Pics or it didn't happen

Agreed. This whole thing seems suspicious. First you say I'll be invited to the unboxing, then I'm not . . . . Something's rotten here.

#15 9 years ago

How soon will you be selling it?

#16 9 years ago

What are your thoughts on the ball getting caught up in the poppers? Is it a non-issue? Some had complained about that aspect but I think most of that came from people that have only seen video.

#17 9 years ago

Have you neglected family members and/or pets since getting it?

#18 9 years ago

Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?

#19 9 years ago

Is the number 42 really the meaning of life?

#20 9 years ago

Does the Dalai Lama sleep?

#21 9 years ago

When will the Leafs win the Cup?

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from leaffan67:

Yes this makes me think of another question. When will pigs fly?

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from leaffan67:

Let's just say that we're expecting code for this pin to be completed well before that ever happens.

#24 9 years ago

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

What do you mean? An African or European swallow?

#26 9 years ago

Waaaaaaaayyy too many smart arses on here today

#27 9 years ago

To be or not to be?

#28 9 years ago

sorry pinpatch . you are mistaken. That is not the question.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from leaffan67:

Before the Sabres...!!!...........Joey

#30 9 years ago

Congrats on your new game.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Congrats on your new game.

Game? What game? We're having a Q and A on life issues.

But seriously...

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Did it come with coin mechs?

Yes. US Quarter is what is in mine.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from ItsOnlyPinball:

Hi, congrats! I think the playfield resembles Metallica, which I love. If you have played MET please let me know if they feel similar or not. Thanks!

I don't think so. I've put a decent amount of time on both Met Pro and LE, and don't think this felt much like it at all. Sparky/Prison action is a little bit similar - but still not exactly alike. Could be code at this point, but I felt that Met returns the ball a lot hotter from sparky. I'd sum it up like this - It doesn't remind me of Metallica while I am playing.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

What are your thoughts on the ball getting caught up in the poppers? Is it a non-issue? Some had complained about that aspect but I think most of that came from people that have only seen video.

Heres my take so far:
Left orbit - yes goes to pops, doesn't stay long usually due to angle and speed. It hits the bottom pop a few times, then usually comes right out. Actually less action than a right orbit shot on Xmen
Left Ramp - no pop
Left prison mini obit - decent amount of pop action
Tunnel Shot - Pops if you're not clean, big variety on how much action
Right Ramp - no pop
Woodbury - Depends on your skillshot choice - Autoplunge with no skillshot active will be a full feed to the rollover lanes. On a manual plunge you can choose to short plunge it for no action, but you'll possibly give up the skillshot. Option to try and hit the star rollovers only, softly enough it will miss the pops too.

All in all the amount of pop action doesn't bug me yet. That area has got a lot of potential points going on. Im still figuring out the rules for it. For the skillshot, you time your shot to hit the stars and Tower target when they are lit. They go in sequence, adding together, then dropping out, one at a time. You prime the skillshot by hitting them, then collect the points by hitting the lit rollover lane. Its a cool feature and I like that its so different.
Additionally, those rollover lanes when completed somehow figure in to your bonus multiplier. Its not just a simple x2 or increase each time though. Or at least thats what I think. Its a fast playing game for sure, so a couple of seconds in the pops is a nice break to breathe for a second. I read that as an intentional design choice. One more thing on the pops. So far, I've seen 2 different animation sequences for them, and they are both entertaining as hell to watch.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Pics or it didn't happen

Here you go!
IMG_4294.JPGIMG_4294.JPG

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Ouch! That's the last time I let you play Star Trek. (Better chance of keeping my Grand Champion score as well.)

Agreed. This whole thing seems suspicious. First you say I'll be invited to the unboxing, then I'm not . . . . Something's rotten here.

I'm a terrible person and bad friend. I didn't plan my life around your weekend activities.
But its just as real as my initials on your Star Trek - OH YEAH!

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from e4mafia:

Heres my take so far:
Left orbit - yes goes to pops, doesn't stay long usually due to angle and speed. It hits the bottom pop a few times, then usually comes right out. Actually less action than a right orbit shot on Xmen
Left Ramp - no pop
Left prison mini obit - decent amount of pop action
Tunnel Shot - Pops if you're not clean, big variety on how much action
Right Ramp - no pop
Woodbury - Depends on your skillshot choice - Autoplunge with no skillshot active will be a full feed to the rollover lanes. On a manual plunge you can choose to short plunge it for no action, but you'll possibly give up the skillshot. Option to try and hit the star rollovers only, softly enough it will miss the pops too.
All in all the amount of pop action doesn't bug me yet. That area has got a lot of potential points going on. Im still figuring out the rules for it. For the skillshot, you time your shot to hit the stars and Tower target when they are lit. They go in sequence, adding together, then dropping out, one at a time. You prime the skillshot by hitting them, then collect the points by hitting the lit rollover lane. Its a cool feature and I like that its so different.
Additionally, those rollover lanes when completed somehow figure in to your bonus multiplier. Its not just a simple x2 or increase each time though. Or at least thats what I think. Its a fast playing game for sure, so a couple of seconds in the pops is a nice break to breathe for a second. I read that as an intentional design choice. One more thing on the pops. So far, I've seen 2 different animation sequences for them, and they are both entertaining as hell to watch.

Thanks for the detail on this. I know a lot of others have been curious as well.

#38 9 years ago

Do you feel like the Well Walker is too large and out of proportion for the pin?

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Do you feel like the Well Walker is too large and out of proportion for the pin?

I don't think the well walker is too large at all. It is Definintly disproportionate compared to the prison but so is the head in the prison. What I really like about the well walker is if you hit it really lightly or just braise it, it tilts back ever so slightly, if you hit it with medium power it tilts back half way and if you hit it really hard it tilts back all the way. It's cool I don't know how they did that but it's Definintly cool.

#40 9 years ago

Never mess with the e4mafia.

#41 9 years ago

How long before someone makes an alternate translite?

#42 9 years ago

Does it come with a goodie bag?

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

How long before someone makes an alternate translite?

I think it's one of sterns better looking translites in a long time.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Its funny - he is huge. And my impressions of the table are a lot different than what I had from the pictures. My mind had everything shifted much further to the right than it seems in person. But it doesn't bother me at all, and I find that he is really not in the way at all. Sometimes I shoot him to get a break from the adrenaline. The metal cage he's on has a decent amount of movement, so the ball comes off him with reduced speed. Not a complete softball mind you, but its easier to handle than some other shots. When you're in "OHMYGODSLAPTHEFLIPPERSANDNUDGEPLEASEGODDOWNTDRAIN" mode, you'll hit him a bunch, but I don't find him being in the way of other shots at all.

For difficulty of shot I would rate them, from easiest to hardest to hit (on purpose) -
1 - Prison
2 - Well Walker
3 - Left Ramp
4 - Barn
5 - Right Ramp (But when I'm in brick mode, I can't get it so save my life)
6 - Prison Riot & Tunnel about tied
7 - Woodbury - I find myself having a hard time getting it in cleanly. I keep bouncing around and losing steam so it comes back out.

Danger Shots -
Right Ramp - A weak shot up the right ramp is merciless. That said, the ramp is long, and most of the height is right at the beginning, so once you've cleared it, it has a tendency to keep going.
Prison Magnet - When the prison mode starts the magnet holds the ball in place. Current code seems to just let it drop to return to play. This is a very rough STDM situation. Get ready to nudge like you're holding a zombie back. Should be an easy code fix though, I think.
Pops - sometimes a very slow escape from the pops can roll STDM. The good news is, right after it clears the post you can tell its going to do it and nudge in time. That said, most of them will hit the post and deflect out for a safe return. Overall I think Borg did a great job on positioning posts to make those defections on slow returns. Its not 100% everywhere, but very well done in my opinion. Most drains I've had to far I have felt that they were my fault for sloppy save attempts rather than being shafted by the table. Except the magnet drop. That one is a crock of shit
Heres a draft of a rules sheet I started working up. Please, anyone can feel free to contribute your own findings. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AeilyWnqi9J44rxazO9G6JXYLLw_8Y8gYC4dSCbIFl8/edit?usp=sharing

#45 9 years ago

Is the well walker shot too close to the flippers? Ala Wolverine?
How does all the inserts being white look in person?

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Does it come with a goodie bag?

Goodie Bag contents - IMG_4295.jpgIMG_4295.jpg

Replacement decals, slingshot plastics, 5 keychain fobs 2 fuses, a blank price card and a .75 price card.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from dug:

I second this question!

#48 9 years ago

I third that question. It looks not to be the case but Im worried about it.

#49 9 years ago

I own Xmen and I played a lot of TWD at the launch party. The well walker seems farther away from the flippers then my wolverine. Most the times when I hit the well walker it was because I was aiming for him, I rarely hit him by mistake. Where wolverine I hit by mistake all the time because he is so damn close to the flippers.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from dug:

How does all the inserts being white look in person?

I happen to also own XMen Pro, so I can give you direct info on that bit.
Well walker is 19" from the tip of the right flipper. Wolverine is 18" from the tip of the left. I think the extra inch makes a world of difference. As I said before, I don't feel like its ever 'in the way'. I mean, a tiny bit on the tunnel shot, but if he weren't there, that shot would be way too easy.

As far as white lights, I have some critical feedback, but also good news.
I think it works great. The inserts basically feel the primary GI for the pin. There is GI, but it seems to fade into the overall experience. As they come on, they make the game brighter, and it seems that when things are going your way, you've got lots of light. When things are less exciting, theres less light. Add to that a cool effect where the game cuts all white light as you complete a shot, its pretty awesome. All LEDs in the game that I've seen so far are white, including the ones under the colored inserts. The yellow and red inserts will be prettier, in my opinion with the appropriately colored versions. The bulbs are standard LED bulbs the type you'd get from Cointaker or Comet, etc.
This is a game that is meant to be played in a dark room!
Now for the critical. I don't think that stern's version of control for LED bulbs is as solid as Herg's LED OCD. Or if it is from a tech point of view, it could have been tuned better. Its not all of the lights, and I haven't noticed any ghosting as all, but the light swells on an LED-OCD board are smoother and more natural looking than on the LEDs here, I think. Not that they are bad, but this is the first native LED game I've had. My XMen is LED'ed, but has an LED-OCD board in it. I'm wondering if the board is compatible, or if Stern can program theirs the way Herg's board can be. Something to look into.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.00
$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-twd-pro-arrived-today-ama-ask-me-anything and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.