TWDLEArrival5.jpg
TWDLEArrival4.jpg
TWDLEArrival3.jpg
TWDLEArrival2.jpg
TWDLEArrival1.jpg
image.jpg
image-107.jpg
image-210.jpg
There are 460 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.
#201 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Let me say this... in person, the process of all these backglasses appear to be identical. So if they aren't "real" back glass, this has been going on for a long time, since Hulk LE.

If true this is news to me. I don't ever recall someone mentioning or discovering this in the past.

There is a huge cost/value difference (to me at least) between a screened mirrored BG and a translite. I feel like this would create some drama if people had known so I remain sceptical that any older machines aren't a true BG

#202 9 years ago

No offense Chris, but in this pic you posted one of these things is clearly not like the other. The TWD "backglass" is way more transparent than the other two.

https://img-f.pinside.com/201411/2024364/314304.jpg

#203 9 years ago

Yup, that's what I was thinking of and that is definitely not anything just glued on, that's screened to the glass. Which to me is what makes it "mirrored".

Now, I don't know if all the other LE's came with "mirrored" backglasses as part of the package, but clearly ACDC BIB did.

I'm ok with it appearing more transparent, as long as it's screened on there, otherwise how is it different than a normal translite?

#204 9 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

otherwise how is it different than a normal translite?

Which also begs the (admittedly off topic) question... why can't we buy mirrored replacement translights for old unobtainium backglass games? Surely that would be cheaper and easier to print than waiting months or years to screen glass...

#205 9 years ago

Ok, maybe my photo isn't helping things with the angle. I examined them all closely. They are the same. I'm not spending any more time on this but the internet is free to spin their wheels.

#206 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Ok, maybe my photo isn't helping things with the angle. I examined them all closely. They are the same. I'm not spending any more time on this but the internet is free to spin their wheels.

Either way you like the look and are happy. Yes?

#207 9 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

Yup, that's what I was thinking of and that is definitely not anything just glued on, that's screened to the glass. Which to me is what makes it "mirrored".
Now, I don't know if all the other LE's came with "mirrored" backglasses as part of the package, but clearly ACDC BIB did.
I'm ok with it appearing more transparent, as long as it's screened on there, otherwise how is it different than a normal translite?

My LTBR is mirror screened also.

#208 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Either way you like the look and are happy. Yes?

Yes. It is highly reflective, the glass breaking effect is quite nice with the image. Standing next to my other LEs it appears the same. If Stern's process is not what people are expecting, that does not affect my enjoyment of it.

#209 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Yes. It is highly reflective, the glass breaking effect is quite nice with the image. Standing next to my other LEs it appears the same. If Stern's process is not what people are expecting, that does not affect my enjoyment of it.

Obviously youd want a real mirrored backglass but if they can pull off the same look with a translite it may be a good thing if it ever breaks, just change the glass and add some adhesive if it works. It may be a mess you couldnt fix though.

#210 9 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

Xmen LE did also.

#211 9 years ago

This is just cost cutting plain and simple,I sent stern an email and I think all the le owners should also

#212 9 years ago
Quoted from n0s4atu:

And did all of those come with "mirrored" backglasses as part of the LE package?
I thought I remembered someone's BIB backglass shattering and the art appeared to be screened on as it shattered too?
On the bright side, mirrored or not, it really is a great looking design.

That was my BIB.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-worst-possible-thing-that-could-happenhappened-to-my-acdc-bible

#213 9 years ago

Thank goodness you got a replacement Breadfan. Gorgeous game.

And Frolic, sorry for the derail. The game looks great and I can't wait to get mine. I'm jealous you have yours a few days before me!

#214 9 years ago

Just got THE CALL today. Sweet! My LE is on the way!

*sniff* long time coming for this title for me....

#215 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Just got THE CALL today. Sweet! My LE is on the way!
*sniff* long time coming for this title for me....

The Limited Edition Dead are Walking today in MN @ Mortimer's as well. Going to be a good weekend.

!twdle.jpg!twdle.jpg

#216 9 years ago

Hopefully this is the first of many 'adult' titles from Stern. David at Stern seems to be keyed into what the guys and gals want.

Any other ideas you'll want me to pass to Guy? Right now it's Iron Maiden, Jaws and Kiss.

#217 9 years ago

I'm saving already.

#218 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

It's the angle of the photo.
Let me say this... in person, the process of all these backglasses appear to be identical. So if they aren't "real" back glass, this has been going on for a long time, since Hulk LE.
The mirrored appearance of all 3 are unique to them, they don't look like regular translites. TWD appears as mirrored as the other 2, and not like my other games like Met Premium.
TWD backglass is impressive to look at in person and highly mirrored. That's all I can say.

Well...after looking at the picture again (of the glasses backwards) I think there may be more light coming through TWD glass which is making it look different than the other two.

#219 9 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

I'm saving already.

+1000

#220 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Any other ideas you'll want me to pass to Guy? Right now it's Iron Maiden, Jaws and Kiss.

Yeah.. GHOSTBUSTERS!

#221 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Hopefully this is the first of many 'adult' titles from Stern. David at Stern seems to be keyed into what the guys and gals want.

Eddie LE?

piece-of-mind.jpgpiece-of-mind.jpg
#222 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

yeah I posted in another thread that we know from MET what we see now is very basic. There are no fancy light wipes, the color changers do very little.... lots more to come for certain. Just part of the process of having a game on day 1.

Only because you accept it that way.

#223 9 years ago
Quoted from aztarac:

Eddie LE?

Doy. Of course!

piece-of-mind.jpg 85 KB

#224 9 years ago

Mine won't be here for two more weeks. This thread is killing me!

#225 9 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Not cool. Feature matrix is pretty clear (I thought)... but I guess if the translight is mirrored Stern wins on a technicality?

It was false advertising, plain and simple. There is a difference between a translite and a backglass. If they had said "mirrored translite", nobody would be upset. They specifically used the word "backglass", however, to emphasize one of the LE's upgraded features. Considering how much money people have shelled out for this game, I think Stern owes us an explanation.

#226 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Forbidden Planet

#227 9 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Forbidden Planet

I thought that was being worked on?

#228 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Someone made a single version.

First is that list in order? Irom maiden next? After whoa nellie? Designed by JT?

Also go dark..Reservoir Dogs, Resident Evil, Blade runner etc

#229 9 years ago

Just got my TWDLE #365 setup. All I can say is WOW!!!! I LOVE THIS GAME!!! It's has great game play! A great mix of stop and go with great flow. I wasn't sure how I would like the red led's for the GI because of what I saw in other videos of the LE, I thought it looked too dark, but it's much much better in person!

There are some things though that I will be adding.

1) The bicycle girl is too dark, it's hard to see her in my opinion, I'm going to add an LED that will turn on when that mode is running that will light up that whole area under the ramp.

2) The head in the prison is a little dark too, I will also add an extra LED to shine on that when the doors open.

#230 9 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Forbidden Planet

Quoted from underlord:

Trudeau was developing a prototype a while back. It looked really cool ...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/john-treadeaus-forbidden-planet

#231 9 years ago

We need a new 4K video, Frolic. Show off that crossbow and ramp with mechanical lift.

#232 9 years ago
Quoted from nodyeliab:

1) The bicycle girl is too dark, it's hard to see her in my opinion, I'm going to add an LED that will turn on when that mode is running that will light up that whole area under the ramp.

I agree. She needs more light.

#233 9 years ago

how come there hasn't really been any videos? i wanna see the crossbow and bicycle girl ramp in action...

#234 9 years ago

The Forbidden Planet is just a One Off. That machine would have everything we want. Robby the Robot, Spaceship, Ray Guns, Monsters, Beautiful Girl, Cool Looking Machines.....AFM on crack!

#235 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It was false advertising, plain and simple. There is a difference between a translite and a backglass. If they had said "mirrored translite", nobody would be upset. They specifically used the word "backglass", however, to emphasize one of the LE's upgraded features. Considering how much money people have shelled out for this game, I think Stern owes us an explanation.

Better go look at the very bottom of the feature matrix. There is something there to cover their ass.

#236 9 years ago
Quoted from MarcG:

Mine won't be here for two more weeks. This thread is killing me!

I share your pain, but worse.

"We are scheduled to pick our games up on Friday 11/14. All games without shaker motors will ship on Monday 11/17, or be scheduled for delivery that week. All games with shaker motors installed, will ship Tuesday 11/18, or be scheduled for delivery."

So.... end of the month?

#237 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Better go look at the very bottom of the feature matrix. There is something there to cover their ass.

That is true, but imo its certainly grounds for a return as there was no notice prior to delivery of said changes. "Subject to change" shouldn't mean "rolling the dice on your purchase".

#238 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

The disclaimer may cover their ass from a potential lawsuit, but it does nothing to help satiate all the pissed off customers. If they made the decision to not go with a real backglass sometime after the feature matrix came out, shouldn't we have been made aware of this? This would have been the obvious course of action for a company that actually cares about its customers.

#239 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The disclaimer may cover their ass from a potential lawsuit, but it does nothing to help satiate all the pissed off customers. If they made the decision to not go with a real backglass sometime after the feature matrix came out, shouldn't we have been made aware of this? This would have been the obvious course of action for a company that actually cares about its customers.

+1000

#240 9 years ago

The crossbow is cool, hopefully they implement it more in future code, we will never get silk screened mirrored back glass like Gorgar and Medusa that's finished. How Stern didn't put a light in to illuminate the BG ramp Zombie head I do not know but a mod is needed for that big time, vinyl art side panels, a decal for the arrow and a metal apron with lights will help a lot but this should come with the LE. When I got my STLE cosmetically anyway I was blown away but TWDLE didn't get the same love. Probably so we could have more toys, but still lacking.

#241 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Wait until they announce the premium version and the translite looks better........Then we will all see Stern at their finest!

#242 9 years ago

I just checked my Metallica LE. Which looks great. Guess what? It's the same thing. There's a tiny wrinkle up in the corner on the back, so I can see that it's something that's been bonded to the glass.

Probably just like http://bgresto.com does.

So yeah, at least since Metallica Stern is using a different process to make the backglass I would guess. Since it's all CMYK printing + spot mirrored ink either way I can't say I care. The end result looks solid. I just want the mirroring, and something that doesn't have any waves or ripples or anything.

Remember, the oldschool backglasses were screened one color at a time. Red, then yellow, then blue, etc. On a piece of mirror that had all the bits that were meant to be non-mirrored etched away with acid.

So the colors look really rich and solid. Stern's never done that on modern games. Backglass or translite, same shit. So I'd put the torches down, the thing we've been happy with for years was done this same way apparently.

#243 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So I'd put the torches down, the thing we've been happy with for years was done this same way apparently.

That was my conclusion when I looked at my other LEs... no one noticed before, and it doesn't take away from the effect. They stand out compared to normal translites.

#244 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I don't think they put much effort into making changes to their marketing materials. If you check their website all the photos and marketing materials still show or list a wireform on the VUK for Star Trek LE.

#245 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I just checked my Metallica LE. Which looks great. Guess what? It's the same thing. There's a tiny wrinkle up in the corner on the back, so I can see that it's something that's been bonded to the glass.
Probably just like http://bgresto.com does.
So yeah, at least since Metallica Stern is using a different process to make the backglass I would guess. Since it's all CMYK printing + spot mirrored ink either way I can't say I care. The end result looks solid. I just want the mirroring, and something that doesn't have any waves or ripples or anything.
Remember, the oldschool backglasses were screened one color at a time. Red, then yellow, then blue, etc. On a piece of mirror that had all the bits that were meant to be non-mirrored etched away with acid.
So the colors look really rich and solid. Stern's never done that on modern games. Backglass or translite, same shit. So I'd put the torches down, the thing we've been happy with for years was done this same way apparently.

I think the concern is less that it isn't a true screened glass but instead the fact that

a) no one knew this and in the traditional definition of a "backglass" this really isn't one
and
b) the difference between a screened glass (ACDC LEs) vs a fancy translight is many $$$'s

Basically, at least since what... AVLE now?, Stern is presumably pocketing extra cheapo backglass cash while we unknowingly assumed the expensive backglass was being provided. It's understandable that profits are the desire, but this is imo something that should have been stated somewhere like the playfield pegs/supports change and the plastic aprons were

#246 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

That was my conclusion when I looked at my other LEs... no one noticed before, and it doesn't take away from the effect. They stand out compared to normal translites.

Personally I'd be slightly annoyed and I can see where others will be as well. If no one noticed a diamond was a cubic zirconia until they actually evaluated it, no harm no foul as long as the brochure says "subject to change"? Extreme example but you see my point.

That said, all that matters is you the owner are happy. I'm not one to play in the LE game, precisely because of things and thinking like this; They irk me.

#247 9 years ago

I mean, I have a "true" backglass sitting next to me as I type. Abra Ca Dabra by Ron and Nancy Webb. I count at least 9 or 10 colors on it, actually maybe 11, plus a blocking layer, but either way, it's plenty. No CMYK nonsense, these are individual screens. It was like $273 shipped.

Stern is using 5 colors. Cynan, Magenta, Yellow, Black, Mirrored. So whether or not they're using that ink on some kind of diffuser layer that they then bond to a piece of glass for a smooth finish, or screening directly onto the glass doesn't really change a whole lot as far as costs go. $400 either way is inflated. It just is what it is.

My Metallica backglass is mirrored, super flat (no little waves or ripples like a translight can have even when taped at the edges) and limited. I honestly can't say I care how it was made so long as those qualities are there.

BG Resto does the same thing. Would I take a Webb "true" backglass over their process? Sure, they're not screening each color separately, so it won't look quite the same. But Stern was never doing 11 color screens, so in this case it really doesn't make a difference either way.

#248 9 years ago

All these folks with their LE's, can anyone please take a few video snippets of the LE in action.

#249 9 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

All these folks with their LE's, can anyone please take a few video snippets of the LE in action.

I would if I wasn't such an idiot with computers!

#250 9 years ago

Fwiw, the XMLE and Avengers LE glasses were stillbackglasslly printed (inkjet) directly on the glass. I remember checking on mine when i had them as i was curious how they did it. If they've been doing this since the MetLE and advertising them as real backglass all along, well... colour me disappointed. That's totally misleading. Just call it a mirrored translite and call it a day.

The mirroring on the translite would likely be done as a foil layer on top of a printed piece, which in this case happens to be just the regular Pro art with a different colour filter on it. That works to about 10 mins extra photoshop time and a $2 extra charge in post processing. Soo more cost cutting unfortunately.

Regardless, if the owners and potential buyers are still happy with it, then that's all that really matters.

Congrats on the games, guys. You don't play the backglass! .. err.. translite.

- B

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Moravia, NY
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 460 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-twd-le-has-arrived/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.