You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200327_174005 (resized).jpg
images-1.jpeg
splatter.jpeg
#1 12 years ago

Seriously, it sounds like rocks in a blender. Is this normal?

#2 12 years ago

Can you get a video?

#3 12 years ago

It is loud.

#4 12 years ago

Mine was pretty loud when I first got it, then I used some 3M "Dry-Type" Teflon spray for the spindles. (Put into a syringe and then applied.)
It is essentially a shaker motor without the arms.

#5 12 years ago

motor/bearings wear out? is it new?

#6 12 years ago

yup, please hold

Now obviously it doesn't sound as loud with the glass on, music up, etc.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

motor/bearings wear out? is it new?

Brand new, maybe 40 plays?

#8 12 years ago

you can try and put some 3-1 oil on the shafts, that's what stern told me to do. Seemed like it helped with the noise

#9 12 years ago

3-1 oil

splatter.jpegsplatter.jpeg

Use it very sparingly, or else...

#10 12 years ago

Excellent! Thanks guys, I'll try that out.

... and then I'll have to tackle the RF noise problem from the EL wire (ordered parts before Coasterguy did his). DOH! looks nice though.

Also check out that target bank sticker

- B

#11 12 years ago

the first few days mine was fine.
after a week it now sounds like a rocket ship.

picked up some 3-in-1 but haven't lubed it up yet.

i think it's just the nature of the beast...

#12 12 years ago

That clip sounds like something is wrong. Mine was pretty loud but it didn't sound like that. Stern sent me a new motor to try and it was just as loud, so I think its the nature of the beast. I also lubed the shaft on mine and it got a little quieter. Since I added the powered sub and turned up the volume a litle I don't even notice it anymore.

#13 12 years ago

Yeah I'm gonna lube my shaft (heh..) and see what happens. If it doesn't get any better I'll call Stern. The sound does get muffled by the glass and music (and sub) but I don't want the motor to die on me anytime soon.

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

I don't want the motor to die on me anytime soon.

With 40 games played so far, you've got nothin to worry about!

#15 12 years ago

i think we ALL feedback about that, and another (new) spin/motor will do the same...
as said somewhere else, i'm +/- at 4.000 games, the sound was always as it (except the really first games as movingpictures)

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

That clip sounds like something is wrong. Mine was pretty loud but it didn't sound like that.

I agree. Mine sure isn't quiet, but it doesn't sound like that at all.

#17 12 years ago

something is not right. i thought mine was bad. lol good luck

#18 12 years ago

and turned up the volume a litle I don't even notice it anymore.

It really is the best medicine!

images-1.jpegimages-1.jpeg

#19 12 years ago

The sound is definitely worstened by the crappy speaker on my phone, but i'll try the 3-in-1 grease and repot back

#20 12 years ago

The sound is definitely worstened by the crappy speaker on my phone, but i'll try the 3-in-1 grease and repot back

Make sure it is the 3-in-1 Motor Oil SAE 20.

Don't use the 3-in-1 Multi-Purpose.

Use this:
http://www.3inone.com/products/motor-oil/

Not this:
http://www.3inone.com/products/multi-purpose/

#21 12 years ago

Yeah ... Mine was loud, then I cranked the volume. Presto, no problem.

Seriously thought that sounds friggin loud. Maybe it's just the recording in a quiet room with game volume down. Will have to try that on my pro and report back.

Brian

#22 12 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Use this:
Not this:

Hey Chad,

Why is the multi purpose wrong?
I picked up a bottle as it was all I could findbut haven't opened it yet.
Should I return it and search out the blue one?

Thanks !

#23 12 years ago
Quoted from movingpictures:

ChadH said:
Use this:
Not this:
Hey Chad,
Why is the multi purpose wrong?
I picked up a bottle as it was all I could findbut haven't opened it yet.
Should I return it and search out the blue one?
Thanks !

Honestly, I am not sure. Before I got into pinball, I repaired an old jukebox. Back then, I was told to use to use only the 3-in-1 motor-oil and to avoid the 3-in-1 multi-purpose. I have stuck with that ever since. Also, since the Tron disc is a motor... it makes sense to use the motor oil.

By the way, I buy my 3-in-1 motor oil at my local Lowes store for $2.49... if that helps.

If someone else could chime in, that would be great.

1 month later
#24 11 years ago

Can anyone let me know if you need to pull the spinner assembly out, or where exactly to apply the lube?

Thanks!

Glenn

#25 11 years ago

Yes unscrew the assembly from the bottom. Its a few 1\4" screws and a plug or two. Its fairly easy to get out from the underside. While you have it out and are giving it a lube job ,clean the surface of your disc with some rubbing alcohol, it will help give the decal on top some bite that will result in some crazy ball spin action once reinstalled.

#26 11 years ago

You dont want thick gummy motor oil on the shaft of a brushed motor (as in Tron). Thinner, multi purpose will work better imo and wont gum up the brush contacts in the motor like a thicker oil could.

#27 11 years ago

I'll second hassellcastle's advice to clean up the top of the spinner with alcohol. Get ready for some crazy fast action out of the spinner after you do this though. It's like Aroldis Chapman is pitching balls at you!

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from movingpictures:

With 40 games played so far, you've got nothin to worry about!

Unless whatever lube they normally apply was accidentally missed on this game, in which case I'd say there's plenty to worry about... Stern clearly haven't balanced these disks, which is why they're noisy/vibrate... so with lube missing, the out of balance forces are going to wipe the bearing pretty fast I'd imagine!

#29 11 years ago

Mine was sounding just like yours and just kept getting worse @100 games it was a box of rocks. Stern sent me a new one. This one was much better I think they got some bad motors. Now @1000 + games it is not getting progressive louder like the other one was.

#30 11 years ago

Mine was bad as well. I cleaned it out and now its fine. I sprayed machine oil lubricant in it and ran it and used compressed air and a bunch of hard gunk came out. Stern sent a replacement though my set screw is currently stuck in the unit that makes the noise.

Its not too bad now as the gunk was causing the majority of the issue. I think some of the motors had some sort of compound that was over used. I oil it every now and then and it seems fine.

#31 11 years ago

mine was so loud it started to vibrate (only after 3-4 days).....I could eveb feel it on the flipper buttons!!
now even with the replacement it sounds like theres something loose :?ill have to look under the hood to see what gives...

7 years later
#32 4 years ago

Hi,

I bought a Tron LE machine. Everything is nice and working except one thing, the Spinning Disk. Working but VERY loud! Like a Boeing 747. Terrible. Does someone have any idea what can I do? I tried the 3in1 oil, WD40.... I need to buy a new?

20200327_174005 (resized).jpg20200327_174005 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#33 4 years ago

Amazed over the years no one came up with a quieter motor.

Tried to make mine quieter - no success so turn up the volume!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Trade
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-tron-spinner-sounds-ss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.