By patrick99e99

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hi,

I just recently got a Tron pro, and I am finding that sometimes when I start the game, it will spit out 2 balls at once..... I am pretty sure this is a mechanical glitch, and am wondering 1) if it's common, 2) if there's anything I can adjust to do stop it from happening?

I have wondered if the number of balls output is wrong in general, because I know when I get light cycle multi-ball, it seems to only give 2 balls then.. And I know most every other pinball I've played always has 3 balls during multiball.

Thanks.
-patrick

Post edited by patrick99e99

#2 10 years ago

Also, another question I have, is when I launch the ball with the plunger, there is a peg that comes up and blocks the ball on the right side. Is this something that is customizable that can be turned off so the ball can go all the way around?

#3 10 years ago

twss

#4 10 years ago

2 Balls is correct w/ light cycle.

To stop the peg, hold down the left flipper while shooting. This is in the manual.

As far as two balls in the shooter lane, happens to me, as well. I think it's just a matter of either an opto glitch or a misfiring ball-to-shooter-lane coil.

#5 10 years ago

The two-balls-instead-of-one issue is probably with the opto switches in the ball trough. Make sure there's no debris in the ball trough, clean the optos, make sure they are pointed at each other, and if you have a soldering iron reflow the solder to the connectors on the opto boards.

#6 10 years ago

Mine does this occasionally as well. I just take advantage of the extra free ball...

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from generica:

The two-balls-instead-of-one issue is probably with the opto switches in the ball trough. Make sure there's no debris in the ball trough, clean the optos, make sure they are pointed at each other, and if you have a soldering iron reflow the solder to the connectors on the opto boards.

Yes, most likely the opto

#8 10 years ago

mine does the same ... and sometimes while playing it will think the ball drained and stop flippers and start counting the bonus ... now I KNOW this is a trough issue but setting it in switch test and banging it really doesn't get a register... it's driving me mad.

maybe I'll reflow the whole thing

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from patrick99e99:

I am finding that sometimes when I start the game, it will spit out 2 balls at once

Pull and reseat the opto connections to the trough -- probably dislodged during shipment or through shaker vibration. Same thing with mine, and no issues after this trick.

Also, another question I have, is when I launch the ball with the plunger, there is a peg that comes up and blocks the ball on the right side. Is this something that is customizable that can be turned off so the ball can go all the way around?

If you don't like the peg, hold the left flipper when you plunge. It will allow the ball to orbit for a combo. You can disable it with the software, but I don't recommend that. The peg is there for a reason (to feed into the pops).

#10 10 years ago

When my Tron starting serving up two balls, it was due to a broken weld on the trough kickout hood. You'll probably have to remove the apron to get a good look at it. Stern doesn't make troughs like they used to. After the weld breaks, some balls rattle and drop back down instead of being cleanly kicked into the shooter lane. While the ball is airborne, another rolls underneath it. When the game tries again, voilà: two balls.

I took it to a local metalshop that repaired it for (I think) ten bucks. Ironically, the owner of the shop said they used to manufacture some pinball assemblies, until Stern went with a cheaper option. You get what you pay for.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

If you don't like the peg, hold the left flipper when you plunge. It will allow the ball to orbit for a combo. You can disable it with the software, but I don't recommend that. The peg is there for a reason (to feed into the pops).

There are two settings. One for the initial plunge, and one for normal gameplay. I disabled the plunge post, but left the other setting turned on so I can get sneaky right orbit completions by shooting the left orbit during super pops. Any right spinner hit will score the right orbit during super pops, no matter which direction the ball comes from.

#12 10 years ago

The plunge post is a necessity if you have a lot of non-pinheads playing your games. I think one of the big reasons it is there is to prevent a medium strength plunge from hanging up in the orbit. Instead of sitting there waiting for the ball to slowly dribble down, the up-post kicks it into the pops and keeps the game fast from the beginning.

#13 10 years ago

Hi,
I just recently got a Tron pro, and I am finding that sometimes when I start the game, it will spit out 2 balls at once..... I am pretty sure this is a mechanical glitch, and am wondering 1) if it's common, 2) if there's anything I can adjust to do stop it from happening?

Check out the two opto boards connected to the ball trough. Make sure the connectors are pushed on tightly..sometimes you can push the white plastic part a little further down the pins, which will give the connector a better connection.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

When my Tron starting serving up two balls, it was due to a broken weld on the trough kickout hood. You'll probably have to remove the apron to get a good look at it. Stern doesn't make troughs like they used to. After the weld breaks, some balls rattle and drop back down instead of being cleanly kicked into the shooter lane. While the ball is airborne, another rolls underneath it. When the game tries again, voilà: two balls.
I took it to a local metalshop that repaired it for (I think) ten bucks. Ironically, the owner of the shop said they used to manufacture some pinball assemblies, until Stern went with a cheaper option. You get what you pay for.

+1

Same exact thing happened to mine, with same behavior.

3 months later
#15 10 years ago

I finally got around to inspecting what exactly was going on with this:

http://collinatorstudios.com/video/tron_trough_problem.mov

The ball occasionally would bounce back into the trough, and the game would re-fire the solenoid causing two balls to be served.

So, I bent the metal on the right side of the kickout hood, toward the plunger, and it seems to have corrected the issue:

http://collinatorstudios.com/video/tron_trough_problem_fix.mov

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.50
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-tron-pro-seems-to-give-me-2-balls-at-once-fairly-frequently and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.