• Latest reply 8 years ago by kvan99
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0908.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I got filmed for the first episode of Hacker Lairs, showing around my house, and my Tron Pinball was featured. Thought I'd share:

#2 8 years ago

You put drops in a Tron Pro? Bad ass. So is STUN Runner, I want one of those some day.

#3 8 years ago

Drop targets that is sexy

#4 8 years ago

yeah adding drop targets was quite a fun project with many challenges...

#5 8 years ago

Yes please expand on the drop targets! Cool video.

#6 8 years ago

You need to charge your Kindle.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from tomaszb1:

Yes please expand on the drop targets! Cool video.

Ok--- Where to begin... It first required drilling holes in the playfield (eek!!!) to add the posts behind the targets so that a rubber ring can be stretched across that area to allow the ball to bounce back when the targets are down. Next, installing the actual target bank was incredibly difficult due to the space available. Aligning it properly so that the targets would not catch the edges of the playfield wood was unbelievably obnoxious. Once that was done, the electronics involved was: I tapped the optic sensors on the drop target circuit, running wires to them directly and those feeds went to a custom board that I built, which consisted of a reed relay, diode, and a basic stamp BS1 microcontroller. I also ran wires from the start button's switch drive & return to my custom board. Next, I had to write code for the microcontroller that monitored the state of the drop target optic senors as well as the start button. The way the code works is, if either the start button is pressed or all the drop targets are down, then it sends current to the reed relay which closes the circuit that goes to the Stern step-up driver board that I also installed. That step-up driver board is what supplies 50v to the drop target bank's solenoid to allow it to fire.

After all this was done, I then screamed because I noticed that the Zen feature makes it so that hitting only one target should cause a reset-- AND the pro maintains state of the targets across multi-player games. So there are two situations where the targets can get out of sync with the flashing T-R-O-N lamps, which sucks. The Zen problem is easy to fix by modifying the microcontroller code to have a variable that increments everytime the Zen switch is hit, and as long as that value is greater than zero, any number of targets down should cause a reset. However, the only way to solve the multi-player problem would be to either 1) disassemble & hack the Tron Pro code and find the memory address of the target state and zero it out on each ball (like the LE does), or 2) add some mini-solenoids to the drop target assembly that fire on and knock down the appropriate targets to make it in sync with the lamps-- this would also require circuitry to disable the connection from the targets to the game board so you don't get points when this happens... Neither of those options equate to a good time.

#8 8 years ago

Man, that is really cool what you've done in order to add the drop targets ! Congrats ! Where did you get the "limited edition" plaque ?

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from marcd:

Where did you get the "limited edition" plaque ?

It was a birthday present from a friend... Kind of a joke. My company's name is Collinator Studios.

IMG_0908.jpgIMG_0908.jpg

#10 8 years ago

That was a great video, loved it! Now I need a Dr. Fuji!.... Also had no idea they had made a 3d attachment for the Vectrex, amazing!

#11 8 years ago

sweet

#12 8 years ago

OMG Stun Runner has a switch on the BACK!!!!!

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from patrick99e99:

Ok--- Where to begin... It first required drilling holes in the playfield (eek!!!) to add the posts behind the targets so that a rubber ring can be stretched across that area to allow the ball to bounce back when the targets are down. Next, installing the actual target bank was incredibly difficult due to the space available. Aligning it properly so that the targets would not catch the edges of the playfield wood was unbelievably obnoxious. Once that was done, the electronics involved was: I tapped the optic sensors on the drop target circuit, running wires to them directly and those feeds went to a custom board that I built, which consisted of a reed relay, diode, and a basic stamp BS1 microcontroller. I also ran wires from the start button's switch drive & return to my custom board. Next, I had to write code for the microcontroller that monitored the state of the drop target optic senors as well as the start button. The way the code works is, if either the start button is pressed or all the drop targets are down, then it sends current to the reed relay which closes the circuit that goes to the Stern step-up driver board that I also installed. That step-up driver board is what supplies 50v to the drop target bank's solenoid to allow it to fire.
After all this was done, I then screamed because I noticed that the Zen feature makes it so that hitting only one target should cause a reset-- AND the pro maintains state of the targets across multi-player games. So there are two situations where the targets can get out of sync with the flashing T-R-O-N lamps, which sucks. The Zen problem is easy to fix by modifying the microcontroller code to have a variable that increments everytime the Zen switch is hit, and as long as that value is greater than zero, any number of targets down should cause a reset. However, the only way to solve the multi-player problem would be to either 1) disassemble & hack the Tron Pro code and find the memory address of the target state and zero it out on each ball (like the LE does), or 2) add some mini-solenoids to the drop target assembly that fire on and knock down the appropriate targets to make it in sync with the lamps-- this would also require circuitry to disable the connection from the targets to the game board so you don't get points when this happens... Neither of those options equate to a good time.

So it was totally easy?

Yikes, nicely done. I would love to do that to my ACDC Pro TNT standup targets, but alas, I think that is outside my expertise.

#14 8 years ago

Wow, way to go. I think you should quit your day job and start doing this stuff for the whole Stern line up. Spinner code for the MET pro, DoD multiball code change for IM etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Trade
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-tron-pinball-was-shown-on-hacker-lairs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.