(Topic ID: 24464)

My trip to Amini's in Tulsa

By Buckaroo65

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tftclw3.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Hello everyone,

I just made a trip to Amini's Galleria in Tulsa because I saw an advertisement for a sale on pinball machines. For those not familiar with Amini's it's a regional game room retailer in Tulsa, Oklahoma City, St. Louis and Kansas City. We've all seen pinball retailers prices, but I had so much fun at this store I thought I should share.

Their lineup was actually impressive. I had a chance to try all the games, and here's what I found.

Xmen Magneto LE - First time I had ever seen this pin, so I was excited to play it. The playfield was set at about 2 degrees, so it wasn't any fun at all. Tried a couple games, but never really got anything going since the ball always managed to float to the outlanes. I asked the salesman how much it was going for. He never gave me a direct answer, but mentioned that it was over $10,000, since it's only one of 250.

Bally's Game Show - Misaligned and weak flippers. Absolutely filthy playfield and ramps. 3 of 4 displays were malfunctioning.

Batman, Dark Knight - Game served two balls at the start of each ball. During this game the salesman came over to highlight Amini's pinball techs and how they can keep your game running 100 percent. When I asked him why it served 2 balls instead of 1 he said it was supposed to do that to make it more fun. I pressed a little further and another salesman said it happens because there's an extra ball in there by mistake, but they haven't taken it out yet. Asking $7500 for BDK.

Rolling Stones - Only played one game because it had the same 2 degree slope as xmen. Didn't notice anything else wrong with it. Asking $7500.

Stargate - Salesman couldn't even get it to turn on. Playfield was worn and absolutely filthy.

Lethal Weapon 3 - Pushed start and the game wouldn't even start because it was missing a ball. I really wanted to ask the salesman to take the extra ball from BDK and put it into LW3, but I didnt want to be too much of a jerk.

Rescue 911 - Display was flickering, but the store closed before I could play it.

Lord of the Rings - Seemed to be in pretty good shape, except for the fact that no playfield lights were working. It's hard to shoot the flashing shot during modes when everything is dark. Asking $8000, because they still have to pay royalties due to the theme.

So, that's the story of my trip to Amini's. The salesman spent 10 minutes bragging about their tech team, and explaining that they charge so much because their techs will fix anything that breaks within two years. Given the state of the pins in their showroom, I wouldn't let them within 10 miles of the games at my house.

I told the salesman I was looking for a TX Sector, and he promised he could find one. Ive been looking for one for about 9 months and havent come close to finding one. We'll see if he ever calls back.

Hope you enjoyed this story, and has anyone had similar experiences with retailers that they'd like to share?

#2 11 years ago

That is some funny (but typical) stuff.

There use to be a "game room" store near me that had a Black Knight and the upper flipper was not working. When I asked their repair man about it and he said it only comes on when you hit a certain score.

#3 11 years ago

I went to the Amini's in OKC while looking for a TAF pin. They didn't have one there, but the ones they did have were not in good shape. They all seem like they were routed.

I've heard good things about them for their other products, but the pins are not a good deal.

#4 11 years ago

The Amini's in stl has a decent selection, most of them are clean

8 months later
    #5 10 years ago

I've been to the Amini's in Oklahoma City. The salesman didn't really know much about the machines except the high price. Similar to the Tulsa story, explained that they were so expensive because they're all collector's items since they aren't being produced anymore. He never offered to let me play the machines. I didn't really get the impression that they cared if they sold me a machine or not. Weird place.

5 months later
    #6 10 years ago

I went to Amini's yesterday in Overland Park to see what pins they have and this is what I saw: A TFTC with the LW3 display rom. I didn't ask for the price, but I imagine it is $3,999, knowing them.

tftclw3.jpgtftclw3.jpg

Though it wasn't a complete disappointment, did get to play Star Trek Stern for the first time.

#7 10 years ago

is Amini's the one that floods craigslist with way overpriced pins?

#8 10 years ago

LMAO...I've seen their ads on craigslist...good to know they're as much of a total waste of space as they seemed on there... 10k for magneto...wooo---can I get some of that?!

#9 10 years ago

I've never seen their ads on CL for the Kansas City area. I can tell you that their prices really are outrageous. If you are going to charge someone that much for a pinball machine, then it better have a complete restoration plus LEDs and all working boards. Selling TFTC with a wrong display rom is just plain ignorant.

5 years later
    #10 4 years ago

I actually was looking at a sst at the aminis in St. Louis and the salesman gave me trouble when i asked to look inside the backbox. He said "we really don't allow people to do that" but he also didn't know what i was talking about when I asked if the batteries had been relocated, upgraded to lithium or replaced with a nvram chip. He had literally no idea what i was talking about.

Then I looked at a chexx bubble hockey. It was listed at $1000 more than chexx has on their website and the salesman tried to tell me that they got them in new from the factory and then immediately took them apart and "rebuilt and upgraded all the stuff inside so they last much longer." That is the point where I walked away.

They are located in a affluent part of town and their market is clearly people with money that don't know what they are buying/would never do their own work on it. Can't tell you how many times the salesman said something like "well, when the St. Louis Cardinal players come in, this is what they get." So if you are all about keeping up with the Jones's this is the place for you.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-trip-to-aminis-in-tulsa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.