View topic image gallery

no_idea_what_your_comment_means.jpg
image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
kiss_german_logo_ss_nazi.jpg
image-160.jpg
image.jpg
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Well, not totally biased. I just picked this beauty up and here are some thoughts based on my limited time with the game.

Art:
Fantastic. The backglass is hammy, cheesy, and 70's-tastic. Total throwback with a retro vibe that still manages to look modern. I’m less sold on the decals... they are minimalist and re-create the solo KISS album covers, but I would have liked a giant KISS logo somewhere on the sides similar to ACDC. I prefer the reds & oranges from the Premium and LE, but they still look appropriate on the game.

The playfield artwork is phenomenal. Great use of color as an extension of the backglass artwork. Everything is laid out nicely.

The clearcoat is the nicest I’ve ever seen on a Stern... it’s actually reflective! I was lucky that Gene’s head & face paint looks decent... a few pictures from other games make it look like it was painted by a very talented 3 year old.

I don't like Gumby Paul. He looks like a melted action figure... I'm looking to the mod-makers out there to turn a KISS MacFarlane toy into something better.

Gameplay:
The game shoots really well. Ramps are nice to hit (the left ramp is easier to hit than the right). The spin from Gene’s head is total chaos in a good way. There is no telling where the ball will end up. The Starchild area, as noted by many others, is tough to hit consistently. It reminds me of the drop target area from Metallica... not impossible, but satisfying when you aim and it lands.

Only 1 SDTM so far with Gene spitting out the ball. It will go to the left flipper 90% of the time, but it’s definitely inconsistent with where... sometimes the tip, sometimes the middle, etc.

Lights:
Wow. The fading effect of the LEDs is a quantum leap forward for Stern. The inclusion of RGB inserts is another welcome bonus. The game is bright, colorful, and features some great light sequencing.

Sounds:
Probably the best ‘out of box’ sounds from any Stern. I’m not even sure if I’ll upgrade to Flipper Fidelity, and that’s saying something. Callouts are minimal at this stage in code, but I like Gene’s callouts. I look forward to more as I’m sure they have a ton of recorded material.

The re-recorded songs aren’t quite as energetic as the originals, but hopefully pinball browser will take care of that in the future.

Spike system:
This is my first Spike game. The fan is a bit loud, but the tiny board was a pleasant surprise. The backglass LEDs are bright enough to light the entire panel. I’m also a bit lost on when things are usually connected... I had some mods waiting (lighted flipper buttons, etc) but I’ll have to search to find a connection. The flippers feel good and the underside of the game feels generally less cluttered.

Code:
Too early to tell, but there’s potential. Shoot this, combo that, multiball here, blinky thing there. The layout is solid, so code updates should only improve the game.

Dots:
Once again, too early to tell. Not too many animations now, but I like the Gene dots so far, especially the Lock animation.

Overall:
Once again, Stern has a winner. I’m glad I pulled the trigger on KISS as it has great art, fantastic sound, and solid flow. It looks great tucked in between ACDC and Metallica!

#2 8 years ago

Hit the nail on the head. Visually, this machine shines

#3 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

SAM system:
This is my first SAM game.

SPIKE, not SAM!

Nice review. Congrats!

#5 8 years ago

Looks great Kyle! Rock N Roll All Night......

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

SPIKE, not SAM!
Nice review. Congrats!

Aargh! Thanks, fixed.

#7 8 years ago

I was hoping someone would post a pic of the (3) musical babies together! Looks great and congratulations!

#8 8 years ago

What about the weight of the game w/ Spike? Does it feel different nudging, moving around etc.?

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

What about the weight of the game w/ Spike? Does it feel different nudging, moving around etc.?

The game is a bit lighter due to Spike, maybe ~10 lbs or so. Nudging feels the same to me.

One of my complaints with Stern is that when you nudge, the backglass rattles. I usually put a beer seal along the edges to stop the rattle.

#10 8 years ago

Love the pop bumper wall decor.
Where can I get one?

#11 8 years ago

That looks great, I hope one day i could have a 3 music pin line up but Slayer, Sabbath and Maiden not likely to happen.

#12 8 years ago

Hey Mudflaps:
Is your game getting filthy from the spinning disc???

#13 8 years ago

Sweet game!

#14 8 years ago

Does it bother anyone on the backglass with Gene spitting the fire out the side of his mouth? the angle/physics is all wrong.
I have extreme attention to detail and notice things like that and it bothers me.

is it just me?

#15 8 years ago

Great review. I can't wait to get mine in the next few weeks

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

The fading effect of the LEDs is a quantum leap forward for Stern.

Really? Lights that can smoothly fade is a quantum leap?

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

For Stern? Absolutely. I have Herg's LED OCD board in ACDC and was totally spoiled by it. To me, it really makes a difference and I'm glad to see Stern embracing the technology.

I haven't noticed black scuffs yet from the spinning disc, but it's still early.

#18 8 years ago

What is Herg's LED OCD board? I will soon have an ACDC in my herd.

#20 8 years ago

Uh.....FYI...

The weight of a Kiss PRO according to the flyer is 250 lbs.

The weight of a Metallica Pro (old style) is 250 lbs...per the flyer.

I don't think the official specs on these things are "officially correct", I think they're approximated. There's no way that KISS or WWE are as heavy as the other games with the thin metal heads versus a full wood cabinet head..

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I dunno about quantum leap, but I'm so glad they finally took care of that. No interest in Kiss, but if there's a future game that I want I'll be glad to have that for sure.

#22 8 years ago

i was in love for this game since we got the very first infos... all was going the right way, and now no doubt that this pin will be a future blast
but to be honest, with the dollar/euro rate, its becoming very hot in europe (indeed for me) to buy these NIB, lets admit i will not get one, and i'm sad of course

#23 8 years ago

Just played some KISS and I really love everything about the looks, layouts, and rules, but the music is SO irritating. I wouldn't call myself an AC/DC or Metallica fan by any means, but the music in those games never bothered me. KISS' music is just sounds so amateur and is like a horrible grating in my ears.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

The re-recorded songs

Wait, what?

#25 8 years ago

Here's a question that our German friends can answer.

Do any of you plan on purchasing a non-German KISS pin. If so, what can happen if you have one?

It's a shame that the KISS SS is outlawed, because today's German population have absolutely nothing to do with Nazi Getmany.

#26 8 years ago

The songs on the pin aren't the original versions, they're from a re-recording album the band did later. Probably to avoid paying old band members or a record label or something.

Edit: Take that fosaisu! (Literally 1 second before your post)

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

The re-recorded songs aren’t quite as energetic as the originals

The songs are taken from a 2008 re-recording of Kiss hits by the (then?) current lineup, with the intent of using those versions in ads, etc. going forward so that they don't have to share revenue with the owners of rights to the original recordings (presumably the record label).

Here's a review of that re-recording album:
http://csa4batman.blog.com/2009/10/08/kiss-klassics-cd-review/

#28 8 years ago

Hoping the code makes this game a keeper like AC/DC and Metallica. Would love a third music pin.

#29 8 years ago

Def leppard did all new recordings for iTunes, this way they keep all the money.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Here's a question that our German friends can answer.
Do any of you plan on purchasing a non-German KISS pin. If so, what can happen if you have one?
It's a shame that the KISS SS is outlawed, because today's German population have absolutely nothing to do with Nazi Getmany.

So how do they do Kiss there? Is it just Kis?

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

So how do they do Kiss there? Is it just Kis?

kiss_german_logo_ss_nazi.jpgkiss_german_logo_ss_nazi.jpg

#32 8 years ago

Great review Kyle! You sold me...

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

European censorship laws strike most people in the States as heavy-handed, but then maybe they view our permissive approach as nutty. Banning the KISS logo seems a little odd (Gene Simmons embracing his Jewish heritage and all) but it's always easier to administer a hard-line rule than to try to interpret intent.

Out of curiosity I did a bit of googling and according to this account, Ace Frehley designed the KISS logo and borrowed the lightning bolt "S" from Gene and Paul's old band (which only had one "s"), so he may not have been making an intentional reference to the Nazi SS in the first place:
http://www.logodesignlove.com/kiss-logo

#34 8 years ago

Off course it was unintentional.

#35 8 years ago

Tried in vain to locate the 5V connector for my light up flipper buttons.

Are the regular connections even on Spike?

#36 8 years ago

Surely they have some place for mods etc. SAM did.

It sounds silly, but maybe ask on the FB page to get their attention on the matter?

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from charliebrown2417:

Love the pop bumper wall decor.
Where can I get one?

Joe at Laseriffic sells them. I added some cheap blue Christmas lights on the back and it looks pretty neat.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Tried in vain to locate the 5V connector for my light up flipper buttons.
Are the regular connections even on Spike?

There are several of us working on a 12v/5v board so we can mod these Spike systems.

#39 8 years ago

Curious how it compares to Metallica on shot selection and layout. Does Metallica stil have more shots? Metallica is th game I wanted to like so much but always drains a lot for me. Not talking code but the layout between the two. thanks. same goes for ACDC pin I know everyone loves it to death but I feel they are not as many shots on the game. I like all the bands and just want to know how all three play side by side for the selection of shots and fun level. Thanks

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

There are several of us working on a 12v/5v board so we can mod these Spike systems.

Super! As always, Mezelmods to the rescue.

Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Curious how it compares to Metallica on shot selection and layout. Does Metallica stil have more shots? Metallica is th game I wanted to like so much but always drains a lot for me. Not talking code but the layout between the two. thanks. same goes for ACDC pin I know everyone loves it to death but I feel they are not as many shots on the game. I like all the bands and just want to know how all three play side by side for the selection of shots and fun level. Thanks

There isn't inherently much more to do on Kiss than Met or ACDC. I would argue those games actually have more 'shots.' Kiss is fun because it has fantastic flow without too many gimmicks to slow it down.

#41 8 years ago

I haven't had mine long, but I agree with pretty much everything you've said Kyle. I don't like the new location for the power switch though. I'm installing FF speakers later. Will let you know how they sound with the new system.

#42 8 years ago

Beautiful game to see in person. Love the hand drawn artwork.

Pretty barebones in code, even by Stern standards, but feels promising. Lots of fun to play and decent ball times.

#43 8 years ago

Just played one at a launch party here in Cincinnati. Good flow, pretty fun to hit the main shots. Not many people were going for star child since it was tough to hit and we weren't sure what it did. Haha. All in all, I think there is enough there that when the code is complete it will be pretty damn fun. Not sure it will stand up to the likes o MET and ACDC, but way to early to tell.

#44 8 years ago

went to the launch party at rock fantasy Middletown ny. the new pin had issues, the ball was getting stuck in genes mouth. they had to go to diagnostics to get the ball back out by activating the solenoid manually. stern was contacted and they said it was a software issue. well the game eventually broke down and they had to finish the tournament on the original kiss they happened to have there.
I have an le on order and hope they hash out any problems asap. on side note my walking dead pinball broke yesterday also. the whit lights on the slingers went out and the other lights are flashing very fast. gotta make a call Monday and see what is causing it.

#45 8 years ago

No problems with mine so far. I have a CN7 switch error which is on the primary board... game plays fine though. The switch says 'Reserved,' so if anyone else has the same issue, shout out. I tried calling Chaz last week but no answer.

#46 8 years ago

No issues so far with mine.

I get the same feeling playing Kiss now that I got playing Metallica when it first arrived. Game has a lot of potential. Flows great, fast, punishes for missed shots and the Starchild shot is tough (similar to the Quorra shot on Tron). Code will make a good game even better.

Sound quality of Spike is fantastic. Nice art package.

Stern will sell a ton of these, and it will do well on location.

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Well, not totally biased. I just picked this beauty up and here are some thoughts based on my limited time with the game.
Art:
Fantastic. The backglass is hammy, cheesy, and 70's-tastic. Total throwback with a retro vibe that still manages to look modern. I’m less sold on the decals... they are minimalist and re-create the solo KISS album covers, but I would have liked a giant KISS logo somewhere on the sides similar to ACDC. I prefer the reds & oranges from the Premium and LE, but they still look appropriate on the game.
The playfield artwork is phenomenal. Great use of color as an extension of the backglass artwork. Everything is laid out nicely.
The clearcoat is the nicest I’ve ever seen on a Stern... it’s actually reflective! I was lucky that Gene’s head & face paint looks decent... a few pictures from other games make it look like it was painted by a very talented 3 year old.
I don't like Gumby Paul. He looks like a melted action figure... I'm looking to the mod-makers out there to turn a KISS MacFarlane toy into something better.
Gameplay:
The game shoots really well. Ramps are nice to hit (the left ramp is easier to hit than the right). The spin from Gene’s head is total chaos in a good way. There is no telling where the ball will end up. The Starchild area, as noted by many others, is tough to hit consistently. It reminds me of the drop target area from Metallica... not impossible, but satisfying when you aim and it lands.
Only 1 SDTM so far with Gene spitting out the ball. It will go to the left flipper 90% of the time, but it’s definitely inconsistent with where... sometimes the tip, sometimes the middle, etc.
Lights:
Wow. The fading effect of the LEDs is a quantum leap forward for Stern. The inclusion of RGB inserts is another welcome bonus. The game is bright, colorful, and features some great light sequencing.
Sounds:
Probably the best ‘out of box’ sounds from any Stern. I’m not even sure if I’ll upgrade to Flipper Fidelity, and that’s saying something. Callouts are minimal at this stage in code, but I like Gene’s callouts. I look forward to more as I’m sure they have a ton of recorded material.
The re-recorded songs aren’t quite as energetic as the originals, but hopefully pinball browser will take care of that in the future.
Spike system:
This is my first Spike game. The fan is a bit loud, but the tiny board was a pleasant surprise. The backglass LEDs are bright enough to light the entire panel. I’m also a bit lost on when things are usually connected... I had some mods waiting (lighted flipper buttons, etc) but I’ll have to search to find a connection. The flippers feel good and the underside of the game feels generally less cluttered.
Code:
Too early to tell, but there’s potential. Shoot this, combo that, multiball here, blinky thing there. The layout is solid, so code updates should only improve the game.
Dots:
Once again, too early to tell. Not too many animations now, but I like the Gene dots so far, especially the Lock animation.
Overall:
Once again, Stern has a winner. I’m glad I pulled the trigger on KISS as it has great art, fantastic sound, and solid flow. It looks great tucked in between ACDC and Metallica!

Agree with your review. Got some plays on it yesterday at the Launch Party. The game has a lot of tight shots on it, seems like it will be a challenging game. Will all come down to code.

#48 8 years ago

Played it today at our launch tourney and I really enjoyed the layout. I don't like the band kiss at all but I think it has potential to be a great pin. Had several stdm drains off of the gene head. That could be fixed with a simple 1-2 second ball save ala F14, it was frustrating in a tourney situation though. Also had the flippers die for a few seconds on one game.

All of that aside, it has great potential. It is a bit more random and wild than recent games but that isn't a bad thing. Code is very very sparse right now though.

1 week later
#49 8 years ago

Owned this game now for about 2 weeks. Definitely needs a code update, but the flow is just fantastic. Unlike ACDC, not too many backhanded shots, but the flow really flows...

The layout is great and I'm looking forward to more mods. I already picked up the yellow Laseriffic plastic protectors, flipper toppers, and Detroit sign.

Lots of dimples where Gene spits out the balls, and the scoop needs a Cliffy badly. Also, Mezelmods needs to list a 5/12v converter ASAP.

So far, a really fun game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-totally-biased-kiss-review and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.