Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 114 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jfesler
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F052A229-DB8F-4530-8223-89213FACF199 (resized).jpeg
    9A2633F4-CF74-493A-8349-DF3FC4E27A28 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20190307_224608229 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-03-07-16-12-26-1 (resized).png
    CEF3D1A8-36E1-4828-A7BF-A3BBDDA34861 (resized).jpeg
    There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 5 years ago

Happens over and over and over......

1) I ALWAYS need "1 more thing that I didn't order"
    2) I ALWAYS seem to leave a favorite tool, flashlight, etc. inside a game and forget about it, only to realize later, and can't remember which game I left it in. A pleasant reward when I pop the top on the right game (eventually)...incredibly frustrating in the meantime. Currently missing one of my favorite flashlights....AHH!!

Surely I'm not alone here....some good stories will help me mourn my tool loss, and a never-ending parts order list....

#2 5 years ago

I've done the order thing. . . even started a thread about it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-orders-does-it-take-

One of the other things I hate is dropping some random small screw, nut, spacer, etc. to have it disappear into thin air. . . only to find it months later on the complete opposite side of the room in a location almost physically impossible to bounce or roll to.

#3 5 years ago

All the way on the order thing and almost every time. Loosing nuts and washers is also common. LOL your definitely not alone.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I've done the order thing. . . even started a thread about it.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-orders-does-it-take-
    One of the other things I hate is dropping some random small screw, nut, spacer, etc. to have it disappear into thin air. . . only to find it months later on the complete opposite side of the room in a location almost physically impossible to bounce or roll to.

Forgot about the "vanishing screw or washer" trick...that ranks third....and it's always the one you are paying the most attention to..."not going to drop this, not going to drop this...GONE!!!"

#5 5 years ago

I always seem to have to add things to my "cart" 15 minutes after I "Checkout". Marco's pretty good about just adding it to my original order.

#6 5 years ago

Find it most prevalent on machines I've ignored for a bit..jealous bastards they are....

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from iamdrunker:

I always seem to have to add things to my "cart" 15 minutes after I "Checkout". Marco's pretty good about just adding it to my original order.

Man, if I had a dime for everytime I call begging for forgiveness, and just "add to my order"....whew!!

#8 5 years ago

Can't even remember the last pin I was working on...think it was SP....miss my flashlight....

#9 5 years ago

I also suffer from creating more work by breaking something that wasn't on the original agenda. Aka old light sockets then I'm left wondering why I even bothered after all it lit the insert just fine before.

#10 5 years ago

Here’s another one...a variation of the “vanishing screw or washer trick”...top on my list. Playfield is in the service position leaning against the backbox...while working high up on the underside of the playfield you drop a screw, washer, etc. and hear it bouncing down the underside of the playfield thru all of the coils, mechs, etc. like a little game of “plinko”. The only problem...it never falls out into the base cabinet. It is amazing where a screw can get caught on the underside of a playfield. My problem is I won’t turn the pin on until I find it...cause I’m convinced it will short something wherever it is!

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Forgot about the "vanishing screw or washer" trick...that ranks third....and it's always the one you are paying the most attention to..."not going to drop this, not going to drop this...GONE!!!"

it's also the one that you don't have any extras of!!

#12 5 years ago

Spill my BEER

#13 5 years ago

Troubleshooting under the playfield with a game started & bumping the flipper button to scare the crap out of you.

Holding a part in a certain place and then can't reach the tool you need to install it

Yeah I've forgotten plenty times have a needed part on a parts-order, but also after getting the parts that I DID order forget where I left them when comes time to getting around to installing them

#14 5 years ago

When working on the underside of the playfield, drop a screw, hear it start to fall to the cab floor, but then goes silent. So you know it’s hung up somewhere.

#15 5 years ago

"Troubleshooting under the playfield with a game started & bumping the flipper button to scare the crap out of you."
    That's a classic one!

#16 5 years ago

Snapping a screw or post,
    also lifting up the playfield, and hearing some screw or whatever go up and under everything on the freshly assembled PF

#17 5 years ago

How about finding a nut or screw when you haven't worked on anything in months. I know this sob came from somewhere.

#18 5 years ago

I lost my fuse box for 1.5 years until today... put it right where it should have been and never looked there for it

(One on the right, the other on the left is the replacement I’ve been slowly populating)

CEF3D1A8-36E1-4828-A7BF-A3BBDDA34861 (resized).jpegCEF3D1A8-36E1-4828-A7BF-A3BBDDA34861 (resized).jpeg
    #19 5 years ago

I always leave shit in the cabinet and have to open the game back up and lift the playfield to retrieve it. A telescopic magnet, a claw that grabs things, and the magnetic trays that hold your parts are your 3 best friends.

The best thing about working on pins for me is i am a dumbass so i make about 300 trips from the game to my tool box and back because i never have the right tools. It gives me a great workout.

#20 5 years ago

Doing a teardown/rebuild then having one single screw/bolt/washer leftover.

Sending all the metal parts off to be chrome plated and realising too late you missed that one inch hex post in the back corner of the playfield.

#21 5 years ago

Opening a machine and finding a part (screw, washer, nut) I can't identify on the bottom.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

When working on the underside of the playfield, drop a screw, hear it start to fall to the cab floor, but then goes silent. So you know it’s hung up somewhere.

This x1000. A simple job then turns a huge task trying to find that screw. Worst is when it falls through a hole and gets on the top of the pf in places impossible to get to without taking everything apart.

Quoted from JWJr:

Opening a machine and finding a part (screw, washer, nut) I can't identify on the bottom.

Worst is when you hear it drop while playing a game. You then know for sure it went to something.

#23 5 years ago

Adding another:

Buying a specific # of bulbs for a machine, counting the order (correct, and all counts match)....setting them in a neat pile on the bench, as you will get to the game that weekend. Weekend comes, you have the machine apart, going well, get to the last item (I usually change the pop lights last, as they can be a pita sometimes) only to find you are 1 short!!! Impossible...I just counted them 3 days prior!!! Then faced with leaving machine apart for another week (next chance to get in it, and new bulbs could arrive, or take a spare from your stash where the color is slightly different (warm, vs, natural, one manufacturers red doesn't match others, etc.)...uggh.

I then find the pop lamp several weeks later on the floor or under a rag...kills me.....

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

This x1000. A simple job then turns a huge task trying to find that screw. Worst is when it falls through a hole and gets on the top of the pf in places impossible to get to without taking everything apart.

Worst is when you hear it drop while playing a game. You then know for sure it went to something.

+1000 to both of these!!!...terrified to turn machine on, as it may short something, or you see it, but have to take half the plastics off to get to it....

How about during your best ball of the evening on a machine that has been slaying you....led pops out during the ball, and is rolling around so close to a scoop or never, never land...torture!!!! Sometimes I can open the coin door to save the action, sometimes I can't. Regardless, the "flow" is gone, as I must now keep one eye on that bulb......geesh

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I always leave shit in the cabinet and have to open the game back up and lift the playfield to retrieve it. A telescopic magnet, a claw that grabs things, and the magnetic trays that hold your parts are your 3 best friends.
    The best thing about working on pins for me is i am a dumbass so i make about 300 trips from the game to my tool box and back because i never have the right tools. It gives me a great workout.

I do this, but with my pockets, which is so dumb I can't even make up an excuse. Usually goes:

Use nut driver, place in back pocket while I use screw driver, look for nut driver on table, profanity, look for nut driver on floor, do 3 laps back to bar table and workbench, profanity, try to sit down and get poked in the back/ass by nut driver, put screwdriver in back pocket while I use nut driver, and repeat. The circle of life.

#26 5 years ago

Lightbulp drops in the subway.. jaaayyy

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:Adding another:
    Buying a specific # of bulbs for a machine, counting the order (correct, and all counts match)....setting them in a neat pile on the bench, as you will get to the game that weekend. Weekend comes, you have the machine apart, going well, get to the last item (I usually change the pop lights last, as they can be a pita sometimes) only to find you are 1 short!!! Impossible...I just counted them 3 days prior!!!

That's why I ALWAYS add 2 or 3 additional bulbs, per color if I have to. Dont want to be in that situation.....

#28 5 years ago

Snap rings and c clips flying off no matter how many times you say you wont let it happen. And when they do, they are gone.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Snap rings and c clips flying off no matter how many times you say you wont let it happen. And when they do, they are gone.

How about e clips that just mysteriously appear???
    Look at everywhere there's one, and none missing.

#30 5 years ago

- Always grabbing the wrong nutdriver (arrgh this locknut isn't 1/4 it's 5/16... dammit now *that* one is 3/8). So hey lemme just loosen this acorn or locknut NOPE #&@^@ post wants to come up with it!

- Wishing you could lay the playfield flat but extended maybe 6-12" out of the cabinet, it would make reaching and repairing that one thing so much easier BUT: Is there a sturdy coil bracket you can rest on the lockdown bar? Will everything on the pf shake and shatter loose when you try to pop it free off the #^%@! hinge bolts (the WORST thing about Sys11)?! Do you feel lucky, punk?!

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Once during a simple TZ subway cleaning dropped a screw into the gumball machine somehow. That turned into a much more complicated cleaning!

#32 5 years ago

I hate when I am working on a machine, fix something, but then screw something else up in the process.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from RVApinballer:

Once during a simple TZ subway cleaning dropped a screw into the gumball machine somehow. That turned into a much more complicated cleaning!

My biggest one was somehow getting a bulb in TZ that wedged back in the lock area. You couldn't even see it with the naked eye, but it bricked lock shots all the damn time and I had no idea why. Found the damn thing back there a year or 2 after when fixing something else

#34 5 years ago

How about raising the playfield for a "quick adjustment" and failing to put a towel over the back box and realizing after 20 "tweaks" you scratched the crap out of the top of the cabinet, or for that matter, any other number of times when you scratched something when "you knew better" and should have taken your time and put protection in place.

#35 5 years ago

My #1 problem with working on pins is it takes away valuable time playing them!

All great comments guys

My #2 was issue was pulling my BM66 pf right off the rails and into the cab.

I had over served myself. Luckily no damage

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

I hate when I am working on a machine, fix something, but then screw something else up in the process.

This pretty much happens 100% of the time w me...some very minor thing bugs my ocd to the point of popping the top, and bam....under the hood the rest of the evening, fixing what wasn't broken to start with.

Also great when you've "fixed everything", all back together, then on your first ball, feeling good about your successful effort, see a slight tear at the corner of a sling rubber.....

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

My #1 problem with working on pins is it takes away valuable time playing them!
    All great comments guys
    My #2 was issue was pulling my BM66 pf right off the rails and into the cab.
    I had over served myself. Luckily no damage

Classic Doug!!! Did the same thing w my TSPP once...careful, you have one of those now....

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from chas10e:

Troubleshooting under the playfield with a game started & bumping the flipper button to scare the crap out of you.

I LOL'd at this one. Happens all the damn time!

#39 5 years ago

Fixing a problem, having everything go great, put glass back in, lock bar on, clean glass, then realize the balls are all on the floor next to the machine.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Fixing a problem, having everything go great, put glass back in, lock bar on, clean glass, then realize the balls are all on the floor next to the machine.

"pinball missing"

*checks pocket*

"son of a..."

#41 5 years ago

everything fixed, cleaned, together....playing first ball and notice your small screwdriver on the apron, under the glass....happens more than I want to admit..

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

Times when you knew better and should have taken your time and put protection in place.

Is this pet peeve strictly a pinball reference, or relating to an unintended increase in the human population?

#43 5 years ago

Towel over a backbox?

#44 5 years ago

Adjusting slingshot switches/rubber on a SPIKE pin.......and the kicker pegs your finger!!!!!

#45 5 years ago

Shocking the shit out of myself.Hate it.

#46 5 years ago

First worst thing: put playfield up with prop-rod, lean over to screw or unscrew something underneath, scrape the top of my bald head on the sharp corner of a solenoid or wiring bracket. Hurts like hell every damn time. Bonus points for leaving some skin on the bracket.

Second worst thing: trying to remove a perfectly good but dirty plastic or whatever in order to clean it, and breaking it in the process.

Runner-up: placing a bumper cap, plastic, or some other brand-new part on the playfield, but not screwing it down, just to see how good it will look. Then, of course, forgetting that it's there, I raise the playfield to work on something underneath, only to hear the part go clattering down the playfield and land in the back of the cabinet.

#47 5 years ago

Cat decides any loose part should be stored in the next room.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from jorro:

Lightbulp drops in the subway.. jaaayyy

Now this is a problem that sometimes the telescopic magnetic tool wouldn't reach. That's when you have to go to plan B and break out the heavy artillery!

Screenshot_2019-03-07-16-12-26-1 (resized).pngScreenshot_2019-03-07-16-12-26-1 (resized).png
    #50 5 years ago

LOL, have had all of the above happen to me. Good stuff. I'll add a couple more:

Dropping a screw or some other part down a subway and having to remove the subway to retrieve it.

Keeping the balls in the trough when lifting the PF thinking they wont come crashing down this time.... then naturally they do and the balls scatter across the bottom of the cabinet and floor only to leave you one short.

There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-top-2-worst-things-when-working-on-my-pins?hl=iamdrunker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.