Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 114 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jfesler
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F052A229-DB8F-4530-8223-89213FACF199 (resized).jpeg
    9A2633F4-CF74-493A-8349-DF3FC4E27A28 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20190307_224608229 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-03-07-16-12-26-1 (resized).png
    CEF3D1A8-36E1-4828-A7BF-A3BBDDA34861 (resized).jpeg
    There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 5 years ago

It seems to me that the wires that like to break the most are the ones in locations that you can barely see, can't get to without folding yourself in half, and can't fix without bumping 18 other wires with a hot soldering iron.

#52 5 years ago

I am the worst offender. Most recently I opened up a pin to find my dremel just sitting on the cash boxed still plugged in... I didn't even know I was missing my dremel.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

I opened up a pin to find my dremel just sitting on the cash boxed still plugged in.

Could have been worse. Could have been your plugged in soldering iron...starting the game on fire.

#54 5 years ago

Attaching the head and realizing you forgot to pull the power cord out first.

#55 5 years ago

These!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #56 5 years ago

Getting a cramp while working between machines

#57 5 years ago

Easily my favorite thread to read as of late!!!!!! Hilarious stuff (not at the time, of course). Why do we do this stuff to ourselves...the "love" of pinball!!!

Adding another - playfield lit up in service position, note a loose wire on the GI circuit...my soldering iron already hot, I'll just resolder with game energized....game goes dark, Lloyd scolds me (as he should), and I seriously thought about taking my TZ outside and setting it on fire....doesn't really fit my thread title, as i'll never be doing that again ( happened several years ago, but a story worthy of repeating)....

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

I am the worst offender. Most recently I opened up a pin to find my dremel just sitting on the cash boxed still plugged in... I didn't even know I was missing my dremel.

LMAO!!!!

#59 5 years ago

Buying bayonets instead of the correct 555’s or other way around :/

Or having 2,3,4,6,7.8,9,10,11,12 .156” connectors and not the 5spot you need.

#60 5 years ago

Screws and nuts fall under the board on the bottom of cab or in the speaker

#61 5 years ago

Doing a complete teardown on a game ,taking a 1000 pictures and you need 1001 ....

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from guss:

Yes, that is my number one.

Number two = working to fix a problem for hours and finding out it is a simple fix after all. One I know about. One I have seen before.

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from Langless28:

having 2,3,4,6,7.8,9,10,11,12 .156” connectors and not the 5spot you need.

Or forgetting to cut a 6 down, file smooth. And continue.

LTG : )

#64 5 years ago

Having to replace a uncommon but necessary bolt or screw that's missing, requiring a $10 shipping charge for just that one piece. Then during a thorough cleaning of the inside of the cabinet a few weeks later, finding said part stuck inside the speaker or under the transformer panel. Grrrr!

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

Having to replace a uncommon but necessary bolt or screw that's missing, requiring a $10 shipping charge for just that piece. Then during a thorough cleaning of the inside of the cabinet a few weeks later, finding said part stuck inside the speaker or under the transformer panel. Grrrr!

Thisssssss

#66 5 years ago

When you buy a new part...

...and you install the new part...

...and it doesn’t fix the issue.

#67 5 years ago

playfield raised: solenoid plungers and other mechanics move freely.

playfield lowered: geometry changes & plungers and other things move sluggishly

raised, lowered, raised, lowered, raised, lowered, open the coin door to figure THAT out

#68 5 years ago

Not sure if this qualifies as “working” on your game but when moving them out of the house, back box is nice and wrapped to cabinet, take back legs off, tilt game onto it’s back, clang clang clang clang. Forgot to take out the balls. Every. Damn. Time.

#69 5 years ago

Having 20 uninstalled mods sitting on my workbench and never installing any of them because when the decision needs to be made between spending a couple of hours playing or a couple of hours installing, playing wins every time.

#70 5 years ago

And then ordering more mods the next day.

#71 5 years ago

Great topic and funny but true!

Here is one of mine. Your working on an assembly, you don't seem to have a problem taking it apart but when you go to put it back together your finger reach seems much shorter and getting those screws back in with the wiring harness in the way is much harder, you try and drop screw, no problem you find it, so you try a different route, and drop screw again, but this time it rolls under the transformer panel and you have to find a piece of wire to fish it out, then you spend a few minutes planning your next attack like Wile E Coyote, only two drop screw again and again.

Pro tip, get screw starting screw drivers and save your sanity, or in a pinch take that 14 gauge wire you used in previous step of fishing for the lost screw and wrap it around screw allowing you to guide into position more easily.

IMG_20190307_224608229 (resized).jpgIMG_20190307_224608229 (resized).jpg
    #72 5 years ago

One of the worst is when you're working on an EM, and you drop some minor little thing like a nut or a bulb or something... and it lands just right to slide down beside the board on the bottom of the cabinet, then roll under the board so you can't possibly reach it.

So then you have to start thinking "Should I try to just tilt the cabinet to one side and see if I can get it to roll to the side and grab it with some pliers?"

or "Maybe I can slide something flat under the board and push it out the other side"

but eventually you have to take the bolts loose and move the board to get whatever little tiny thing you dropped down in there out...

#73 5 years ago

The other day I was ordering some stuff from Marco (which I love) and had written down everything I found on a machine that I needed to order. So while I'm doing it, I see something I hadn't thought of like, oh instruction cards and add that to the cart too. So then I go back to the machine, work on it awhile looking for other stuff I might need to order, oh, I need some of those clips (or whatever)... so I go back to add it to the cart off the website, and the cart is empty because I screwed around too long without checking out.

Damn, now I'll have to redo it all over again. So I go reorder everything I had written down, then add the clips and checkout... then just after I press the checkout button, remember that I forgot to add those cool instruction cards (for $1.50 or whatever) back in

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

drop screw again, but this time it rolls under the transformer panel

Yup, exactly what I was saying too, lol

#75 5 years ago

Dropping screws etc and they go to that special place that can't be found?

Fixing shitty repairs or dodgy hacks.

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

And then ordering more mods the next day.

Stop looking on my bench!!!

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

When you buy a new part...
    ...and you install the new part...
    ...and it doesn’t fix the issue.

Or....convinced you need a part to fix, order it, then find the actual problem while waiting for part to arrive. Justify purchase in your mind "I'll need it someday"...I have a good stash of that stuff..

#78 5 years ago

1. I will burn myself with the soldering iron every session that I use it. It’s a GUARANTEE.

2. I will ALWAYS button the game back up without putting the balls back in.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I got in the habit a few years back of putting removed balls in the track under the removed lockbar. They won't fall off, unless you knock them off, and there's no way to put the glass back in without moving them first.

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from JWJr:

I got in the habit a few years back of putting removed balls in the track under the removed lockbar. They won't fall off, unless you knock them off, and there's no way to put the glass back in without moving them first.

This is fantastic advice and a buddy of mine always yells at me to do this. But old habits are a bitch. Haha

#81 5 years ago

It is so comforting to see that I’m not the only person that does these things! This thread had me laughing all the way through!

#82 5 years ago

losing a C-clip. Or a JC clip...as in "Jesus Christ there goes another one!!!!"

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

The other day I was ordering some stuff from Marco (which I love) and had written down everything I found on a machine that I needed to order. So while I'm doing it, I see something I hadn't thought of like, oh instruction cards and add that to the cart too. So then I go back to the machine, work on it awhile looking for other stuff I might need to order, oh, I need some of those clips (or whatever)... so I go back to add it to the cart off the website, and the cart is empty because I screwed around too long without checking out.
    Damn, now I'll have to redo it all over again. So I go reorder everything I had written down, then add the clips and checkout... then just after I press the checkout button, remember that I forgot to add those cool instruction cards (for $1.50 or whatever) back in

Happens to me when I order from Comet.

#84 5 years ago

My top 2 worst things when working on my pins is:
    1- Might have a little drink-e-poo while tinkering with my games.
    2- Little drink-e-poo turns into a "party of 5" of drinks and before ya know it I am half cut and can't find (nor do I care) where I left that Phillips screw driver. Ah well, better have another drink, that'll make it all better.

I AM NOT AN ALCOHOLIC, I just like to drink

QSS

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

1. I will burn myself with the soldering iron every session that I use it. It’s a GUARANTEE.

Glad it's not just me. Still got a scar from a nasty burn few months ago. I'm also good at melting other things under the pf when trying to squeeze into a tight place. Fun playing the "what's that burning smell?" game when using the soldering iron. Finally order a better soldering iron, maybe that will help.

CNKay - Brilliant idea using wire to hold screw. Going to try that next time. I've used blue tape to hold screw to screwdriver when trying to get it into a tight space. I use blue tap for everything lol. That tape trick also works for getting wedge bulbs into tricky places. One example is the bulb that's behind the bubble gum machine in TZ. It's buried under riveted plastics and not accessible under pf but you have straight access to it with pf out. Wrap the tape around the tip of the bulb to a pencil or some other kind of blunt stick. Not sure it's the best method because it takes a lot of swearing and tries to finally get it to work.

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I haven't burned myself in a long time. Good news with soldering irons is they are basically self-cauterizing so I don't really find iron wounds to be too troublesome.

#87 5 years ago

From this morning...

I replace a few rectifiers.
    I triple check my work.
    I put the board back in the game.
    I check again for any shorts.
    Moment of truth.
    I hate this part.
    I flick on the power switch.
    Nothing.
    Zero at every test point.
    Shit!
    Then I notice the power cord lying on the floor.

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

Happens to me when I order from Comet.

Comet and Titan, 100% of the time.....Terry and CT, 95%

#89 5 years ago

My favorite rule is "if it goes back together easily then I missed something"

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from simplykind:

Keeping the balls in the trough when lifting the PF thinking they wont come crashing down this time.... then naturally they do and the balls scatter across the bottom of the cabinet and floor only to leave you one short.

I broke the playfield glass in the game next to the one I lifted that way once.

Aside from everything else that everyone is talking about I always seem to cut myself by trying to fit my hand further into a place that it shouldn't go

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from TomT:

My favorite rule is "if it goes back together easily then I missed something"

Classic, and so true!!!

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from JeffZee:

I triple check my work.
    I put the board back in the game.
    I check again for any shorts.
    Moment of truth.
    I hate this part.
    I flick on the power switch.
    Nothing.
    Zero at every test point.
    Shit!
    Then I notice the power cord lying on the floor.

I've done something similar on the older Sterns -- work on/repair a board, put it back in, power on, check voltages, etc. Everything checks out -- Great! Press the credit button. . . nothing. Open everything back up, recheck everything. . . all is good. Finally it occurs to me, because these games have no free play, credits need to be added before a game can start.

#93 5 years ago

Anyone mention removing that screw from a playfield plastic for a different repair, then re-tightening it... making sure it's extra tight... until you here that spine curdling "Crack!" sound. Now you have a new plastic with a crack around the screw hole.

Or you're working underneath and you reinstall the wood screws, but you want to make sure it's good and tight. After all it is a steel ball rolling around on top, smashing into things. But that last tight turn to make it nice and really tight... Then the slip... Overtightened and now the screw hole is stripped! Should have just left it tight and been satisfied.

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from guss:

Then painstakingly extending a magnetic wand under the bottom board, using the tips of your fingers to swing the magnetic end further in to try to catch the screw, only to lose control of the wand and listen to it join the screw under there in nowhere land! (Only posting for a friend)

#95 5 years ago

If if you don’t already know, then you’ve never put together a classic Williams or Bally pin.
    No matter how many times I tell myself not to forget the power cord.

9A2633F4-CF74-493A-8349-DF3FC4E27A28 (resized).jpeg9A2633F4-CF74-493A-8349-DF3FC4E27A28 (resized).jpeg
    #96 5 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

Then painstakingly extending a magnetic wand under the bottom board, using the tips of your fingers to swing the magnetic end further in to try to catch the screw, only to lose control of the wand and listen to it join the screw under there in nowhere land! (Only posting for a friend)

I have one of my wands missing too, btw (along w my favorite flashlight, that started this whole thread)....

Laughing too hard, as I can easily put a visual to everyone of these posts (and the aftermath)...

#97 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

I have one of my wands missing too, btw (along w my favorite flashlight, that started this whole thread)....
    Laughing too hard, as I can easily put a visual to everyone of these posts (and the aftermath)...

Agreed-great thread. It’s so great because I’ve had at least half of these scenarios happen to me and I was definitely NOT laughing at the time.

#98 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Agreed-great thread. It’s so great because I’ve had at least half of these scenarios happen to me and I was definitely NOT laughing at the time.

It always seems so straight ahead at first..."I'll just go in, fix this, mod that, and be done" hardly ever works out that way....

#99 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

It always seems so straight ahead at first..."I'll just go in, fix this, mod that, and be done" hardly ever works out that way....

Ain’t it the truth. I’ve ordered three times from Pinball Life in the last two weeks. Just went to bend a VUK switch on my LOTR a half hour ago and snap!

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Ain’t it the truth. I’ve ordered three times from Pinball Life in the last two weeks. Just went to bend a VUK switch on my LOTR a half hour ago and snap!

Literally just opened a box of dress up stuff for my MunstersLE (lit flipper buttons, gold vacuum coin bezel kit, etc.) only to find that the bezel kit only had 1 piece in it.....no sweat, as they always make my orders right (great people), but paused and read through some of this thread again....decided wtf am I doing even thinking about opening a machine this weekend after laughing at all these stories?!....glass stays on them all this weekend, and I'm just gonna play. Don't trust myself at the moment.....

There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-top-2-worst-things-when-working-on-my-pins/page/2?hl=pschwisow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.