Crybaby.jpg
image-50.jpg
bubble-burst-o.gif
al-bunde.gif
Waah-1.gif
kid_crying.JPG
mm.jpg
sneetches (1).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider msh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#164 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I personally don't agree with it, my NIB MM purchase sort of proves that, but I also understand where Pinmeister is coming from. A lot of hard work, patience and dedication was put into acquiring MM for a LOT of people. I can fully understand the negative feelings some of those people have. More people will own MMs, supply and demand says the value will go down, but maybe, just maybe to the old owners, it feels just a little less special now. You can't always help your feelings, weather they be right or wrong, and in this case it's up for debate.

I understand cherishing something rare and elusive that you have hunted down for years, saved from a salvage heap, lovingly restored with your own two hands, blood, sweat and tears- paying attention to every little detail to create the most perfect specimen ever dreamed of. That cherished beautiful thing should now be priceless to you...

Guessing that most of the investors who spent 12K and up on their MM's did none of these things- they only found an overpriced pin for sale and did the manual labor of writing a big fat check.

Pinball is not going to die because collectors may lose money on their investments! It will die because no one new falls in love with the thrill of smashing those silverballs. Repeating what someone else said, but if a few of these repros make it as routed games it will only help the hobby thrive. If the endeavor is successful it should be a boon to every single person connected in the pinball web.

#191 10 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

I don't know if you were being sarcastic, but I would venture that most people that can write a check for that amount have jobs. The perception that MM owners look like the character from Planter's Peanuts and have velvet ropes draped around their pins is inaccurate, but kind of funny. Every person in the hobby I know, regardless of how much money they make, earned the money to buy their pins.

I was responding to the idea that some owners may feel their MM is 'less special' now- and directly about people putting in a lot of hard work and dedication to acquire it. My original thought was that these collectors were combing the hillsides for years looking for pins and then finally stumbled upon their trophy. Upon rereading I can see the thought may have been that some people worked their asses off at 3 jobs, eating only ramen noodles for two years so that they could save money for this pin. Even with that understanding it only reinforces my opinion.

My thoughts are if this game is such a Holy Grail then it should be a keeper and its potential decline in value should be meaningless. It shouldn't matter if you paid 1K or 25K. Also doesn't matter if you earned the money to pay for it by digging ditches or performing plastic surgery.

I'm sorry, despicable me feels zero sympathy for someone who laid out way too much money for a pinball machine and is now upset that it is declining in value. If you bought it with the intention of making profit off of it at a later date then you really don't love MM for it's own sake, it was never a Holy Grail game for you and you have contributed to the ridiculous pricing of ALL pins that we are all suffering for in the here and now. If you took a leap of faith that you would break even on it if the day ever came that you were forced to sell it for financial reasons, I feel sorry for you only because you don't have good sense when it comes to money. I am certainly not happy about anyone's misfortunes, however I don't even think this qualifies as misfortune to begin with. Let's hope that MM earns its own pinball karma by helping to deflate the current market of pinvestors so that pinballers can get a fair chance on buying games again at a fair price.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.95
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 64.99
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider msh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-thoughts-on-the-mm-announcement?tu=msh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.