Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by knobstone
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Hi all,
    Figure I would make a post about some of my thoughts and suggestions

Overall, once again, I had a great time. Although the attendance was down, I think. I really didn't care, meant shorter lines, less drama, and didn't take away from any of my fun.

Freeplay room: There was a great assortment of games, and some people really took the time to bring quality games. However, there were several, shall we same dumbasses, that should have stayed home. I say at least 10 machines that were never on, with several of them never even being set up. Why, well probably because the wanted to just get in free. Could there have been more machines, sure, but then again, in the past when it was full of games, people complained about being cramped, long line, the temperature, , etc In other words, you can never please everyone. So myself, I was fine with the number of games

Freeplay Room Suggestions: I know that this was Lonnie's first time running it solo, and he is a super nice guy. But in my opinion, it was overall poor. Not trying to get on Lonnie, just make a few suggestions for the next time since he might not have known or thought of some scenarios. I was really impressed with checking in Thursday morning. The wanted to know everything name, address, phone, etc. So I thought, hey, great start. But that's about were it ended. There were no tags on machines like years past to know who brought what machine. And although, I occasionally saw Lonnie and his wife at the table, when it was important, there was no one there. I removed 6 machines from the show 5 that sold, and one that didn't. and did this at various times Saturday and sunday. Not once was there anyone attending the table, so anyone could have walked out with any game. Had one of my games disappeared, I would have made them pay for it. I don't assume the risk if they don't take measures to prevent theft.

Also, I think that they should have walked the room some, and taken notes of what machines were down/not set up. to have known who stole from the show. And if they would have required owners to have a tag affixed with a phone number. then the assholes that brought games that didn't even get set up could have at least had hundreds of calls from people that wondered why.

Repair Room, I think that this was pointless. I know that clay was there just Thursday and Friday, but I know that I walked by the room at least 50 times those two day since its right by a bathroom, and I can count on my hands how often the doors were open. I'm sure Rob Berk was happy as when the door was open, I could see Robs games being worked on, id guess that was the key part for them to scramble to get a repair person there

Vendor hall. Lets see where to start. First, I was a vendor, and it took me 5 minutes to get into the door because Mike was busy talking with people in the middle of the doorway with his scooter, so I couldn't even push my cart. I asked him to and he just said for me to wait a minute. Then I had to wait another 10 minutes for him to finish his conversation to hand me the packet for my info. He hands me the info and leaves, not even telling me where my location was.

Other issues I had. Although I know the family, why oh why is a calligraphy pen seller the first thing you see when walking into a pinball expo. seriously, the highest traffic area, and it has nothing to do with why any of us are there. I don't have a problem with them being there, but really think that there should be an area for "other" vendors at a lower traffic area, or have a row of them together, but not at the front door

Also, I did have an issue with a vendor that needed low lighting and me that needed bright lighting. So maybe suggest that the lighting vendors be at an area like the back so that they can shut off the lights there to enhance the product. but I should not have had to be in a darker area because of that. Other vendors like VP cabs brought the prop up tent to prevent glare and such, which is what the other lighting people should have done. I did voice my opinion, and then walked away. however, there were several other vendors that wanted to say something but didn't want to upset others. but they came and thanked me for saying something. The vendor said that Rob told him it was ok and that we can talk to Rob, so we did, and he said nothing like that, infact, he really only said one thing, for us to talk to Pacak. So we then did that, who as you can imagine, said talk to Berk. So we actually just decided to walk away, let the guy have his lights off, and just shut our area down early and started to enjoy the night

And If I see Pacak's scooter literally blocking the bathroom door because he was to lazy to walk the extra 5 feet, I'm gonna hop on it and turn it in to lost and found. He can walk and is seen walking, so the extra 5 steps wont kill him. He is the most inconsiderate person ive ever seen with a scooter, parking it sideways in hallys while he talks to people, and expecting everyone to walk around him instead of him at least being on a side instead of the middle
    Even with my suggestions/ complaints. Honestly, if nothing was done about any of them, it wouldn't stop me from coming. I don't go for the drama, chaos, organization, disorganization, etc. I go for the people, and 95% of them are great people

#3 6 years ago

Everything you just listed is why I stopped going. This Mike guy is a real piece of work. Everyone complains every year and nothing ever changes. You got a guy with really poor management skills and a poor attitude trying to run this every year.

You can see the difference of experiences with the Pinball Life event. It's a bigger and bigger hit every year. Everyone loves it. Not so much the expo event at the hotel.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from fishmanrob:

Everything you just listed is why I stopped going. This Mike guy is a real piece of work. Everyone complains every year and nothing ever changes. You got a guy with really poor management skills and a poor attitude trying to run this every year.
    You can see the difference of experiences with the Pinball Life event. It's a bigger and bigger hit every year. Everyone loves it. Not so much the expo event at the hotel.

So maybe Terry should run expo!

#5 6 years ago

Mike really controlled his temper this Expo. I never saw him yell, scream or do anything mean.

As for your repair room comments, I disagree with the above comments. I helped repair several machines that were brought in. Clay worked on 10-12 circuit boards as well.
    Door closed?

Knock. We were in there. Several people knocked and the door was opened.
    Many were looking for Rob’s repair service and parts sales which we were not. We basically were a game repair room which is what Mike advertised here on pinside as well as the description, albeit about Rob Anthony, on the Expo website.
    We did accept whole EM machines for repair.

If knocking didn’t work (we need to eat, utilize the facilities, attend events too) Mike had a key for the room and we always had an alternate person to securely accept machines & boards for repair. The Expo main desk knew who get potential repair customers to for those events.
    Clay arrived around noon on Thursday and my son & I got in around 6pm that day.

We worked past that Midnight and then we got to play in the free play room. Friday was a long day but yes, we took three hours to attend the PBL charity event. Still put in eight hours in the room on Friday. My son too. Clay a few more hours.

Sorry you didn’t like our M.O. maybe Rob will be back next year as we actually did this as a labor of love for pinball and Expo.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from fishmanrob:

Mike's attitude was great this year on Thursday from 6pm to 11 am Saturday while I was there. He deserves an accolade for his improvement in this area.

#7 6 years ago

I know your buddies with clay, so I expect the support. That's fine. But a shut door is not welcoming to people, especially since the past years, if the door was closed, the room was closed. By the way, everytime I left to go somewhere, you were actually the same place, kinda doubt that anyone else was driving a Audi with mrbally MI plates

As for your comment about Mike , wrong again, just ask James loflin

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

I know your buddies with clay, so I expect the support. That's fine. But a shut door is not welcoming to people, especially since the past years, if the door was closed, the room was closed. By the way, everytime I left to go somewhere, you were actually the same place, kinda doubt that anyone else was driving a Audi with mrbally MI plates
    As for your comment about Mike , wrong again, just ask James loflin

Let me know how to get in touch with James Loflin as I don't know him. A pm is fine. My car was moved three times after arrival on Thursday. My son or I returned it to the same spot as it was protected on one side and was available every time we returned..

#9 6 years ago

I’d like to suggest more info on what each seminar is about. Some of them had very vague titles so we ended up missing some we really would have wanted to see and sitting in some that we’re not at all what we thought they would be.
    Yes, some were self explanatory within the one line description but others were anybody’s guess.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from fishmanrob:

Everyone complains every year and nothing ever changes. You got a guy with really poor management skills and a poor attitude trying to run this every year.

Guys can we PLEASE stop bring Gary into every thread?!?

#11 6 years ago

On the repair room... i posted with contact info in several places before the show. If you wanted some repair, as stated, best to let me know ahead, so we could be prepared for your item. And many people did this. EVERYTHING that came into the room was addressed (either fixed or evaluated, if the repair was too involved for on-site repair.) 100% got addressed. No boards taken home, everything done then and there.

On Thursday we left the door open pretty much the whole day. The problem was, people would come in to just "browse". We were trying to fix things, and the constant interruption of chit-chat was just making that difficult. So Friday we kept the door closed more, and you had to knock. This worked out much better as we did more repairs on Friday due to less interruptions.

Unlike prior years, we weren't there to sell stuff. We were there to fix things. I think we accomplished that very well. So having the door open so people could just wander in for conversation was proving to be problematic.

One improvement i would like to make is to put up a phone number/email on the door. So when it's closed, a text message or email could be sent. But like i said, most people contacted me ahead, so i had a list of people wanting repair, and we were ready for them, and got them addressed.

#12 6 years ago

Another suggestion is to stop charging $60.00 for the seminars, and $90.00 for the silent auction. There should be just one price for entrance to the show. Very expensive and unreasonable.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-thoughts-and-suggstions-for-expo-17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.