IMG_1245.jpg
IMG_1244_1.jpg
IMG_1242_1.jpg
IMG_1219_1.jpg
IMG_1218_2.jpg
IMG_1244.jpg
untitled2.png
untitled1.png
There are 324 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
#201 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Thanks, terryb, for the tip! I didn't know such a thing existed.

I should have mentioned you can get those at Harbor Freight.

#202 8 years ago

Already did...thanks!

(But I have to get the rust and corrosion off first...these sanding balls don't even make a dent in that stuff...)

1 week later
#203 8 years ago

Chapter Seven: Baby Got Back(Box)

Got a lot done this weekend. After three revisions of Bondo'ing, sanding, and painting, I finally decaled and screened the backbox...

IMG_0802.JPGIMG_0802.JPG

...added all the ground braid and cabinet hardware (and put the hinges on backwards )...

IMG_0804.JPGIMG_0804.JPG

...and discovered a NOOB TIP O' THE DAY: You can take all the pictures you want and log where every screw goes, but also be sure to jot down the length of each screw. I used one of the longer screws to install the knocker coil and it punched through my wife's beautiful paint job on the back of the box. I had so many F words coming out of my mouth it sounded like air escaping from a tire. After a quick patch job, it was time to continue. It's a great feeling when you get to the point in the cabinet restoration where everything you have left to do fits on one table...

IMG_0805.JPGIMG_0805.JPG

So I decided to attack the speaker panel first and disassembled the whole thing...

IMG_0806.JPGIMG_0806.JPG

After a cleaning, painting, and speaker replacement, it was back together and ready to rock...

IMG_0807.JPGIMG_0807.JPG

I didn't notice how scratched up the display panel was - when the machine looked like crap, you couldn't tell. But when it's all prettied up, it's obvious. I'll have to get another one.

Does anybody know how to repaint/stencil the speaker grills? Or where I can get replacements? They could use a once-over as well.

Finally, it was time to put in all the boards and connect all the wires. This was easy because I had used the labeling system outlined in the earlier post. But I was left with one unmarked wire. Uh-oh...

IMG_0808.JPGIMG_0808.JPG

So I had to check the schematics to figure out where the white/white connector goes and found out that it went to the original display panel. (Mine has an XPin display.) NOTE TO SELF: In the future, if there are any connectors that DON'T go anywhere, those should be labeled as such to avoid confusion later.

#204 8 years ago

awesome job. nice to know who my local next restorer will be.

#205 8 years ago

Continuing on, I said a silent prayer, crossed myself, and turned on the machine to see if it booted...

IMG_0811.JPGIMG_0811.JPG

It did! The only issue was that the subwoofer wasn't working. I found that a wire had pulled loose from the IDC connector, so I fashioned another one and all was well. It was on to the light panel, which I disassembled, tumbled the metal parts, and painted...badly. (I've found that I REALLY suck at spray painting. I didn't even know you're supposed to shake the can for a minute before starting. Yes...I was the object of ridicule this weekend. )

The refurbed light panel was reassembled, LEDs put in, and installed. I did a quick light test...

IMG_0814.JPGIMG_0814.JPG

And replaced the translite, and the cabinet is done!

IMG_0815.JPGIMG_0815.JPG

Except for this thing, which is making me long for the solace that death will bring...

IMG_0820.JPGIMG_0820.JPG

But that's for next weekend!!!

#206 8 years ago

Great thread! Keep it up! In for shots of assembled cab in good lighting.

#207 8 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Great thread! Keep it up! In for shots of assembled cab in good lighting.

Sorry, Jared! Is this better?

IMG_0818.JPGIMG_0818.JPG

#208 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Sorry, Jared! Is this better?
IMG_0818.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

Yeah! I am drooling! Got a 3/4 shot?

#209 8 years ago

Looking good Boob! Can't wait to play it! and the AC/DC too!

#210 8 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Yeah! I am drooling! Got a 3/4 shot?

I'll post some outdoor shots next weekend before I wrap it up to move to my basement. Don't know if you can tell, but I've been doing this in the bay usually reserved for my wife's car...and she'd like it back!

#211 8 years ago

The car was built to be outdoors.

That bay was built for pinball!

#212 8 years ago

She is parking outside and doing work on it too. Your a lucky guy. Besides its nice out now

#213 8 years ago

Color match is great. Be prepared to be pissed off when the shooters don't line up and you have to readjust the plungers to hit the center of the ball.

#214 8 years ago

Looking good Boobie!

So are you going to the Rockland Pinball event June 20th? We need to hang out!

Pinny

#215 8 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

Looking good Boob! Can't wait to play it! and the AC/DC too!

My wife wants to know when you're coming down. Our house is your house...kids, too!

Quoted from Pinterest:

Looking good Boobie!
So are you going to the Rockland Pinball event June 20th? We need to hang out!
Pinny

Not sure if I can make it...I have a retirement party to go to that day. If I do go, it'll be early...like at opening. Jury's still out, but thanks for the interest in seeing my ugly mug!

Also wanted to mention that John Wart did a fantastic job on my boards. They look spiffy clean and work beautifully!

#216 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

f I do go, it'll be early...like at opening.

Great- so that works perfectly - I'm bringing the kiddos - so early is good! Besides it being really fun - ya gotta come support the Gregg and Rob show! Food? Pinball? Good company? What's to decide?

#217 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Except for this thing, which is making me long for the solace that death will bring...
IMG_0820.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
But that's for next weekend!!!

Hey Randy - is it possible to notch the lockbar receiver you got from PBL with a cutting wheel, bandsaw, jigsaw saw, etc to accommodate the 2nd shooter? I don't think you would have to remove to much of the metal and I'm assuming a standard receiver is very similar to a stock FH receiver except for the notching and maybe some of the mounting holes? Just a thought

#218 8 years ago

I remember when I did mine I talked to Kerry at Mantis about modifying the ones he makes. I believe he said he could do it just had to send him mine. I was able to get mine cleaned up. You may want to contact him.

#219 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I know you're (half?) kidding about this, but my own personal taste doesn't go for chrome anything...especially when it's INSIDE the cabinet. It's great for the guys that do automotive shine on their paint jobs and make sure everything sparkles, but I'm really happy with my machine just looking like a brand new game.
I actually can't believe how good it looks so far. I was pretty sure it would have been in splinters by now.

Yeah plating would be a little much and expensive too.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

I was pretty sure it would have been in splinters by now.

Now that's hard to believe.

#220 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I didn't notice how scratched up the display panel was - when the machine looked like crap, you couldn't tell. But when it's all prettied up, it's obvious. I'll have to get another one.

Why don't you try your hand at flame polishing?

#221 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Nothing to lose trying, gain experience.

#222 8 years ago
Quoted from mac622:

Hey Randy - is it possible to notch the lockbar receiver you got from PBL with a cutting wheel, bandsaw, jigsaw saw, etc to accommodate the 2nd shooter? I don't think you would have to remove to much of the metal and I'm assuming a standard receiver is very similar to a stock FH receiver except for the notching and maybe some of the mounting holes? Just a thought

Hey, buddy! I did consider doing just that. I even talked to Terry about lockbar receivers and when I described the FH one, he said (and I quote), "Sounds like you've got a problem." So they don't make them, and when I A/B'ed the PBL receiver with the FH one, it seemed to be a little thicker in spots and I didn't want to take the chance of cutting it (so I couldn't return it) just to put it on and find out in two months when I drop the playfield in, it doesn't fit for some reason.

I polished the old one up today and it doesn't look half bad. It's not the sandblasted and plated ones Hutchins does, but like I said...this ain't no HEP restoration. I still think the machine looks great though, especially for a first time!

Quoted from MustangPaul:

I didn't even think of that! Thanks. I even bought a little crème broulee torch at Bed Bath & Beyond to flame polish the subway (I figured that's a safe place to practice since nobody sees it!). But it's worth a shot on the front of the panel before buying another one.

Many thanks for all the wisdom and tips on here. I'm pleased to report I put the finishing touches on the cab today and will post pics (3/4 in good lighting for Jared!) very soon. (What the hell does 3/4 mean, anyway? Corner shots? Or 1/4 of the machine is cut off in the pic? )

#223 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I didn't even think of that! Thanks. I even bought a little crème broulee torch at Bed Bath & Beyond to flame polish the subway (I figured that's a safe place to practice since nobody sees it!). But it's worth a shot on the front of the panel before buying another one.

Let us know how it works.

#224 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Let us know how it works.

You don't know? I didn't know I was being used as a guinea pig!!!

#225 8 years ago

I tried my first hand at flame polishing my Dr. Who ramps and they came out awesome!!! Its pretty easy just make sure you have a good visual aspect of what you are doing!

#226 8 years ago

Boob, where did you pick up the screen for back box? I need to do my FT.
Thanks

#227 8 years ago

are you gonna get the PinGraphix sideplates?

#228 8 years ago

I did already. But the first batch had a problem. Joe's sending me a new one. GREAT customer service!

#229 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I did already. But the first batch had a problem. Joe's sending me a new one. GREAT customer service!

can't wait to see it installed

#230 8 years ago

Chapter Eight: Rudy's House

Okay...quick update by request. Le cabinet c'est finis! (I obviously don't speak French.)

Here are some shots of the cab (including what I think are 3/4 shots in good lighting for Jared!). It's not perfect, and if you want to zoom in on any shot, you'll find those imperfections. But like I titled the post, this ain't no HEP restoration. It's my first try, and I actually did better than I thought I would and didn't blow shit up (which is always nice). Still have to address the speaker panel. If anybody knows of a way to touch up paint on the speaker grilles, please let me know.

Compare these pix to the before shots in the initial thread and it's a dramatic difference. Enjoy!

IMG_0821.JPGIMG_0821.JPG
IMG_0823.JPGIMG_0823.JPG
IMG_0825.JPGIMG_0825.JPG
IMG_0826.JPGIMG_0826.JPG
IMG_0828.JPGIMG_0828.JPG

#231 8 years ago

Intermission: Rudy Awaits...

Here are some before pics of the playfield. I actually had to blow some of those helicopter seedlings off of the PF before bringing it outside. It looked like somebody had played this Funhouse in the woods. Pretty bad shape. I'm going to spend the weekend remembering what my wife looks like and I'll start tackling this next weekend. (That being said, I'll probably start tomorrow.)

IMG_0829.JPGIMG_0829.JPG
IMG_0830.JPGIMG_0830.JPG
IMG_0833.JPGIMG_0833.JPG

#232 8 years ago

It just faded

#233 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

It just faded

That's okay. Makes it look original.

#234 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Okay...quick update by request. Le cabinet c'est finis! (I obviously don't speak French.)

Let's just say -- if I dropped a burger in the cabinet, I would pick up the burger, and continue eating it.
-mof

#235 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Let's just say -- if I dropped a burger in the cabinet, I would pick up the burger, and continue eating it.
-mof

Awwh! That's the nicest thing anybody's ever said to me!

#236 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Awwh! That's the nicest thing anybody's ever said to me!

Now of course, I would hope that you would have 1 layer of varnish on the baseboard, so that I could wipe the grease off it without regret.

-mof

#237 8 years ago

Looks damn nice, Randy. I'm not sure my first one turned out that nice.

#238 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Now of course, I would hope that you would have 1 layer of varnish on the baseboard, so that I could wipe the grease off it without regret.
-mof

Ah, F**K!

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Looks damn nice, Randy. I'm not sure my first one turned out that nice.

You're right. I'm pretty sure yours turned out far nicer. Good to have you back, Bryan!

#239 8 years ago

Damn, that steps ramp looks like it was involved in a house fire.

#240 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Ah, F**K!

You're right. I'm pretty sure yours turned out far nicer. Good to have you back, Bryan!

Everyone's gotta do a first one. Some learn from their mistakes and do better. Some just do the same thing over and over. You certainly look like you've got this figured out!!

#241 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Le cabinet c'est finis!

Sounds french to me...wee'wee!

Quoted from beelzeboob:

helicopter seedlings

I think yours landed in my pool along with every other F%&King one in the country.

Quoted from mof:

I would pick up the burger, and continue eating it.

MOF we use plates in Ohio.

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Some learn from their mistakes

Obviously you and I haven't we continue to restore. Stamp collecting ,that's where its at.

In all jest, Randy, Its looking great!

#242 8 years ago

Wow! This looks fantastic boobie! Makes my half ass work look really bad! That cabinet is beautiful.

1 week later
#243 8 years ago

Looking good Boob!!! Can't wait to see the PF go through the process.

#244 8 years ago

Thanks, Rob. Worked on the PF a little bit today and got a headache trying to figure out what size and where all the T-nuts go in the new PF. Then I realized that some dickwad literally super-glued in all the posts/studs, so I'll have to replace all of them...when I figure out exactly what size they all are. What a nightmare. Anyway...I've been catching up with life which is why this thread has gone silent for a while. The cabinet is in its new home in the basement and I'm prepping the new PF before tearing down the topside of the old one.

More pics and updates as they happen!

#246 8 years ago

I...love...you... Thanks so much.

I might have found that thread if ROBIN WOULD FIX THE TOPIC SEARCH BOX AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!!

#247 8 years ago

I remember running into the t-nut problem. There was a couple odd ones but I can't remember which ones:

http://rec.games.pinball.narkive.com/8RKcAmQ0/funhouse-playfield-t-nuts-location-sizes

From that webpage:
The 8/32 will only fit in the appropriate hole so you don't have to worry
about putting an 8 in a # 6 hole.
The flipper lanes get the 6/32 and there is one or two stray 5/32 towards
the top.
--
Christopher Hutchins
www.highendpins.com
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/albums.php

3 weeks later
#248 8 years ago

Chapter Nine: Topside Tear-down

Now that I can post photos again, time to get caught up (this'll take a few posts to do...).

So, as far as I can tell, there are actually three stages to a playfield swap: The tear-down, the cleaning, and the rebuilding.

The tear-down took me a couple of days to do because I did it REALLY carefully. I took a picture of every area I was working on from multiple angles, followed by four corner-playfield shots (as suggested by Bryan Kelly). I logged every disassembly, ordered by number on my computer (there were 20 steps on the topside and 20 steps on the underside). Every piece of hardware I took off the PF was bagged and tagged with a number corresponding to the number in the computer log.

Even with all that caution, I'm sure I'll have screwed something up along the way.

I prepped the new PF by sanding the underside and clearcoating it with one coat of satin to keep dirt off (thanks, Skypilot!). Then I put in the t-nuts and waxed the entire playfield (because I'd never be able to get into those tight spots again!).

IMG_0837.JPGIMG_0837.JPG
IMG_0839.JPGIMG_0839.JPG

Turning to the old playfield, I removed Rudy to start things off. First out, last in so that he doesn't get damaged with all the dicking around with the teardown and rebuild. (The Rudys they're making now are so dark he looks like he's from the Indian subcontinent.)

IMG_0850.JPGIMG_0850.JPG

Then I took off the habitrails, mirror, and ramps. The diverter assembly had a set screw that was stripped and rusted in place. So I had to drill it out, and I realized as I went that I should also log in bold type what parts I knew I had to order so I could find them easily in the log. Thanks to Jim McCune for reminding me that I had a manual with all the part numbers. I was wondering what that book on my bench with "Funhouse" on the cover was for!

IMG_0918.JPGIMG_0918.JPG

Playfield plastics went next, and suddenly the Funhouse didn't look quite as fun anymore.

IMG_0920.JPGIMG_0920.JPG

Gates, tall hex posts, and ball guides were next.

IMG_0967.JPGIMG_0967.JPG

Then all the playfield posts, side rails, and any other part (like the trapdoor plastic) that could be removed without accessing the underside first (like pops). You can see by the picture above that quite a few screws broke off when I tried to get them out. Any screw that went into a T-nut seemed to be super-glued in (which I've heard is a standard pain in the ass for this game). So I have a bunch of screws and posts to replace for the rebuild. With that done, that left the playfield almost entirely stripped, and it was time to move on to the underside.

IMG_0993.JPGIMG_0993.JPG

#249 8 years ago

This post made intentionally while you type to interrupt your flow

#250 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I prepped the new PF by sanding the underside and clearcoating it with one coat of satin to keep dirt off (thanks, Skypilot!). Then I put in the t-nuts and waxed the entire playfield (because I'd never be able to get into those tight spots again!).

Awesome!
-mof

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 29.95
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 22.50
There are 324 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-this-aint-no-hep-funhouse-restoration-1/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.