IMG_1245.jpg
IMG_1244_1.jpg
IMG_1242_1.jpg
IMG_1219_1.jpg
IMG_1218_2.jpg
IMG_1244.jpg
untitled2.png
untitled1.png
There are 324 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
#151 9 years ago

Make sure you make a video of you doing the decals .

#152 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

LOL!!

#153 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I'm doing it your way, McCune. If a camera's running I'm going to completely lose confidence. My wife will be helping me to remind me what an f-ing moron I am throughout every step.

#154 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm doing it your way, McCune.

Damn you Boob, I have been waiting all weekend to see some progress and haven't seen shit,what's up?

#155 8 years ago

Shh...I'm on vacation in Florida.

Decals, silkscreening, etc. going on next weekend.

I hope.

But there's Allentown...

#156 8 years ago

He is following the skypilot plan.

#158 8 years ago

am I the only one that kind of likes the look of the natural wood with the funhouse graphics still in it? If there was a way to stain the cabinet with that in tact, and have it accent, that would look killer and be one of a kind funhouse. be like the champagne edition.

#159 8 years ago

I agree, Neo...I thought that looked awesome. But it was only on one side. The cabinet would have looked like the bastard love child of Rudy and a Pittsburgh Steelers helmet.

#160 8 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

He is following the skypilot plan.

I won't be that slow. This will be done by the summer.

#161 8 years ago

A question in preparation for Allentown:

I think a lot of guys replace EVERY switch during a full restoration. Is this the case? And how do you know how many of which types to buy? Or can you just tell Marco or PBL that you need all the switches for a certain game and they'll put a kit together for you?

Or should I just keep the switches I have because they all work? Seems silly not to replace them when I have it all apart.

#162 8 years ago

If im tearing it down I replace all solenoids, switches, and lamp bases. As far as how many... you gotta just get in there and count'em brother! If it has a rollover leaf switch I change it to a micro switch. It may be over kill to some but I just feel better when I do it that way. Nothing like washing a car and not cleaning the wheels or windows. It is not that difficult to find your types of switches needed. Many of them are somewhat universal between many manufactures. Sometimes you may just have to compare your switch a picture on a supplier website if its accurate.

#163 8 years ago

Just a quick update. I can't do everything...Allentown took up a good chunk of my weekend and I had to get caught up around the house. But I was able to do just a couple things.

Used Matt's silkscreen from Merf's pins to put the patent on the back of the cab:

IMG_0783.JPGIMG_0783.JPG

The thread about this stuff can be found here if anybody is interested: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-williams-wpc-backbox-warningpatent-silk-screens

Built a coin door spacer and used the McCune method of bracing it in position. Say what you want about Jim's taste in WOZ, but this is absolutely brilliant:

IMG_0781b.jpgIMG_0781b.jpg

Applied the front decal and trimmed (but forgot the start hole because I started sugar crashing!), and got to this point when I ran out of time:

IMG_0784.JPGIMG_0784.JPG

I just want to say this: Unless you're a real pro like some of the guys on here, it's nearly impossible to have an absolutely perfectly flat decaled side and front. EVERY imperfection shows up, and for an anal bastard like me, it was pretty depressing. But I went into this with one goal - to make this machine nicer than when it left the Williams factory...nicer than new. In that I think I've succeeded so far, but it's not nearly up to the standards I have for myself.

I can see how this stuff takes a lot of practice, and my respect for you pro restorers out there has no bounds.

Next weekend, it'll begin to look like a pinball machine again. But I have to redo the backbox for the THIRD time because I'm still not happy with it. Back to the Bondo...

#164 8 years ago

Oh...two more things:

I used this decal applicator. Seven bucks on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4CLY6A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

And it's interesting how the pictures can show some things and hide others. The front of the cabinet looks wonderful in that picture--the few small imperfections can't be seen.

On the other hand, I didn't even see those two small stains on the bottom of the cabinet until the sun hit it and I looked at that picture. Going to have to hit it with the detail sander a bit more...

#165 8 years ago

Don't beat yourself up, the decals from Phoenix will have some of those super tiny air bubbles that will even out by morning. You'll be much happier checking it then. Big air bubbles due to poor installs aren't fixed time, but sounds like the ones you're talking about will be just fine.

#166 8 years ago

Thanks. No big air bubbles. My wife was there helping spot any irregularities. (She spotted me pretty quickly!) I think the imperfections are on the cab itself. I sanded and primed many times and did everything in my power to get it perfect. Not good enough. Live and learn. (It's still really nice though!)

#167 8 years ago

Looking good Boob! Just cough up on your restore. How's the cab looking?

#168 8 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

Looking good Boob! Just cough up on your restore. How's the cab looking?

Don't cough up on my restore, man. That's disgusting.

And the cab is looking like it does in the last pic. Waiting for next weekend...

#169 8 years ago

So much for the skypilot timeframe.

Looks great!

#170 8 years ago

Wait, so are your imperfections due to sanding/prepping or application of the decals? They look beautiful in the pics! Wondering if you are just super anal and there really is no flaw. BTW, I appreciate you doing this and admitting an error (if there really is one). Helps noobs like me who will one day do this to my WH20.

#171 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

used the McCune method of bracing it in position

See, you got to do it the easy way. I just came up with that a week ago. Looking good Boob !

#172 8 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Wait, so are your imperfections due to sanding/prepping or application of the decals? They look beautiful in the pics! Wondering if you are just super anal and there really is no flaw. BTW, I appreciate you doing this and admitting an error (if there really is one). Helps noobs like me who will one day do this to my WH20.

Thanks. It's amazing what distance will do when taking a pic. I AM that anal. I cut the decal a millimeter off from the line I intended and that drives me nuts. The imperfections I'm talking about are likely a small particle of dust here and there that didn't get picked up by the tack cloth. Really minor stuff that you'd have to look for, but for me, it's ALL I look at. (You should see what a nut I am about crown moldings...)

If you're confident enough to attempt a restoration, you should be confident enough to admit your errors. There's ALWAYS somebody out there that's better than you and knows more than you do. In order to elevate your game you need to be humble enough to know when to shut your mouth and listen.

Thanks for the kind words!

#173 8 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

So much for the skypilot timeframe.
Looks great!

He is not done yet Keith!

#174 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

you should be confident enough to admit your errors.

My errors are that I like restoring pinball machines

#175 8 years ago

Just as an FYI to all following this thread. I went back to Lowes and got the paint guys to mix me up a quart of the Lowes Valspar paint with the correct codes for FH blue. Went back home and touched up some areas of the cabinet under the lock down bar to see how close the color is to the un-faded original cabinet. It is dead on perfect match. Can't tell where I touched it up. Thanks to beelzeboob for the info.

Thanks
dougram69

#176 8 years ago
Quoted from dougram69:

Just as an FYI to all following this thread. I went back to Lowes and got the paint guys to mix me up a quart of the Lowes Valspar paint with the correct codes for FH blue. Went back home and touched up some areas of the cabinet under the lock down bar to see how close the color is to the un-faded original cabinet. It is dead on perfect match. Can't tell where I touched it up. Thanks to beelzeboob for the info.
Thanks
dougram69

Flat, gloss or satin finish?

#177 8 years ago
Quoted from dougram69:

Thanks
dougram69

Shh...

Don't tell this guy. He added some blue and I think it came out a shade too dark:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-restore-chrome-and-mustard#post-2422322

But his machine still looks incredible! I'll take darker over lighter any day.

#178 8 years ago
Quoted from dontfeed:

Flat, gloss or satin finish?

I think the general--GENERAL--consensus is semi-gloss. A lot of people like to gloss their machines up, though. It's your machine. Make it look like an f-ing Christmas tree if you want to.

#179 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I think the general--GENERAL--consensus is semi-gloss. A lot of people like to gloss their machines up, though. It's your machine. Make it look like an f-ing Christmas tree if you want to.

Since I'll be using it for touch ups I wasn't sure what the standard finish generally is, which is why I asked. Didn't want shiny or flat touch ups all over.

#180 8 years ago

Well, I think the machines started out semigloss from the factory. But 20+ years have a way of making everything look flat.

There's a joke here about wives, but I'm not going near it.

#181 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

20+ years have a way of making everything look flat.

I see what you did here

#182 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Shh...
Don't tell this guy. He added some blue and I think it came out a shade too dark:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-restore-chrome-and-mustard#post-2422322
But his machine still looks incredible! I'll take darker over lighter any day.

lol, yea..you've developed an eagle eye already. It's definately a slight shade darker than the decals, but still works for me. Although, doing a 2nd one now and will be going back to the original paint code you used.

1 week later
#183 8 years ago

Chapter Six: She's Got Legs (She Knows How to Use Them!)

Sorry for the long delay in updating this thread (as if anybody really cares!). Sometimes life happens. So I did a lot of work this weekend on the machine. As I said before, I wasn't happy with the backbox, so I'm redoing it for a third time. It's painted and looks great now...I'll repopulate it while I wait for it to be ready for decals.

I painted a bunch of parts. The paint on the hinges kept bunching up when it dried no matter whatI did, so I just chucked them and ordered new ones. Please notice I used Bryan Kelly's patented BoltHolder technology to paint the bolt heads! (Does anybody know what happened to Bryan? He's been AWOL for a while now. Hope he's okay!)

IMG_0785.JPGIMG_0785.JPG

Then I used McCune's dry install method to put the side decals on. Thanks for that video, Jim! You gave me the confidence to do it right the first time, and you also reminded me of another reason why it's great to have a wife.

Shiny!...

IMG_0788.JPGIMG_0788.JPG
IMG_0789.JPGIMG_0789.JPG

Installed the cabinet protectors from Pinball Life...(and you can see some minor imperfections which look way worse in the picture)

IMG_0790.JPGIMG_0790.JPG

Then got 'er up on legs and installed the ground braids using the upholstery stapler and staples from Pinrestore.com:

IMG_0796.JPGIMG_0796.JPG

The damn gun left some oil spots which I had to sand out after braiding (and shooting these photos). They look much worse in the photo than in person. Some you can't even see with the naked eye - I don't know why the camera picks it up.

IMG_0798.JPGIMG_0798.JPG

So the cabinet exterior is completed and ready to be repopulated (which it almost already is). More pics by the weekend when I finish the cab and work on the backbox. And hey...how about that nice color match on the back and sides???

IMG_0795.JPGIMG_0795.JPG
IMG_0793.JPGIMG_0793.JPG

#184 8 years ago

Nice work. I seem to recall a thread where the restorer scribed around the cabinet protectors, removed them, then cut out the decal under the protector. This would greatly reduce the possibility of the decal wrinkling.

#185 8 years ago
Quoted from johninc:

Nice work. I seem to recall a thread where the restorer scribed around the cabinet protectors, removed them, then cut out the decal under the protector. This would greatly reduce the possibility of the decal wrinkling.

Yeah...that's McCune that did that, I think. But I haven't seen enough evidence that those things destroy decals to carve around them like that. It feels counterintuitive to me after all the effort to put the decals on. If anybody wants to chime in here about the necessity of that, I'm all ears. But why design a protector that makes you have to destroy the very thing you're trying to protect?

And I forgot to tell McCune that I would have been happy to film the decaling process, but I literally didn't have anybody to hold the iphone. By the second side, I had enough confidence to do it on film...just no cameraman!

#186 8 years ago

Cut the decal out from underneath the steel leg protector. It is not scary but very necessary!

Good job Boob !

#187 8 years ago

Okay...I'll cut the decals out beneath the leg protectors...but I'm not going to enjoy doing it! It really feels like I'm destroying the machine doing that. If I ever sell the machine and someone wants to take them off, they've got ugly cabinet exposed underneath.

#188 8 years ago

Question? Why all the work and then you reinstall the old style leg bolt nuts. When I did my I installed the new style bracket :http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=144

Great job on your restore so far.

#189 8 years ago

Answer: Just trying to keep as many original parts as possible. If it was designed that way, I kept it that way...unless there was a good reason for changing it up. Thanks for the kind words.

(PS - that's an easy thing to change out if I decide to...I just see no reason to right now.)

#190 8 years ago

Understand. I like how they tighten the cabinet up.

Even though people call this work I love restoring them. Keep plugging away, it will be done before you know it.

#191 8 years ago

I think you matched the color VERY close on the cab. Nice work. I'd also vote for using the better designed leg nuts, just because I like the idea of having enhanced stability in a system.
-mof

#192 8 years ago

Okay...point taken. I'll look into getting the updated brackets. Thanks for all the tips, guys!

#193 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Chapter Six: She's Got Legs (She Knows How to Use Them!)
Sorry for the long delay in updating this thread (as if anybody really cares!). Sometimes life happens.

Hey, I care! Love seeing this pop up in my favorites with new posts. Plus I'm learning a thing or two.

Cheers and great work.

#194 8 years ago

QUESTION 'O' THE DAY!!!

So I just noticed that the new lockdown receiver I got from Pinball Life doesn't work in Funhouse because of the two shooters. Does anybody know where to get one? And if not, how the hell do I polish it (as well as the playfield prop bar, etc., that don't fit in the tumbler?). I tried Flitz but it sucks for those pieces. I'd hate to have a restored machine with a crapped up lockdown receiver.

Any ideas?

#195 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

And if not, how the hell do I polish it (as well as the playfield prop bar, etc., that don't fit in the tumbler?).

Buffing wheel and compound if you want a polished look. A sanding ball and finish with a scotch brite pad if you want more of the original grained look.

ball1.jpgball1.jpg

#196 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Okay...point taken. I'll look into getting the updated brackets. Thanks for all the tips, guys!

They will make that cab ROCK SOLID for the rest of it's life.....and don't forget to chrome plate them.

#197 8 years ago

Quick update...

I repopulated the cabinet, with the exception of the coin door (the paint was still drying!) and the lockdown receiver, the problems with which I detailed above. Thanks, terryb, for the tip! I didn't know such a thing existed.

IMG_0799.JPGIMG_0799.JPG

You'll see in the pics that the original leg brackets are still in the machine. (You'll also see small stains in the coin compartment which aren't visible in person...really pisses me off that they show up in photos.) I removed the decals underneath the cabinet protectors (thanks, Jim...the decal was indeed starting to wrinkle!). But when I removed the first bracket--breaking a nail off, which is a pain in the ass--I installed the upgraded bracket and it didn't sit flush with the sides of the machine, as if the corner pieces of the machine were wider than the center section of the bracket. And this was with it sitting under the ground braid. And with the sides floating 1/8th of an inch off the sides it looked like dick and gave no support whatsoever. So I put the old ones back in. The machine's going in my basement where it will stay...if I sell it, somebody else can struggle with putting the updated ones in.

In addition to getting the wrong lockdown receiver, I also got the wrong corner brackets for the backbox...right one on the top, wrong one on the bottom:

IMG_0800.JPGIMG_0800.JPG

Oops! So that held me up from repopulating the backbox, but...

AWESOME WIFE ALERT!!! My wife saw the paint job on the back of my backbox and said (and I quote), "You suck balls." So while I was at work, she resanded and repainted it and now it looks perfect. (She also helped with fixing some areas of the coin door that weren't great.)

I'm a lucky guy...

Next week, the backbox will be decaled, silk screened, reassembled, and joined to the cabinet. And then I'll turn it on and blow it up just for shits and giggles.

Thanks so much to all the people who have offered tips and help. Can't say it enough!

#198 8 years ago

Nice work

#199 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

They will make that cab ROCK SOLID for the rest of it's life.....and don't forget to chrome plate them.

I know you're (half?) kidding about this, but my own personal taste doesn't go for chrome anything...especially when it's INSIDE the cabinet. It's great for the guys that do automotive shine on their paint jobs and make sure everything sparkles, but I'm really happy with my machine just looking like a brand new game.

I actually can't believe how good it looks so far. I was pretty sure it would have been in splinters by now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.95
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 22.50
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 40.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 324 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-this-aint-no-hep-funhouse-restoration-1/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.