IMG_1245.jpg
IMG_1244_1.jpg
IMG_1242_1.jpg
IMG_1219_1.jpg
IMG_1218_2.jpg
IMG_1244.jpg
untitled2.png
untitled1.png
There are 324 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
#101 9 years ago

Looks good. Happy to know I have a new restorer only 5 mi away. And that I can pay him so his pinball addiction (like crack) can be maintained

#102 9 years ago

QUESTION FOR ANYBODY THAT KNOWS: I've seen some Funhouses where the people silkscreen the patent on the back of the cabinet. Some don't do it. What's the conventional wisdom on doing that?

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

Looks good. Happy to know I have a new restorer only 5 mi away. And that I can pay him so his pinball addiction (like crack) can be maintained

You know there's only one thing I want from you.

And right back at ya'!

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

QUESTION FOR ANYBODY THAT KNOWS: I've seen some Funhouses where the people silkscreen the patent on the back of the cabinet. Some don't do it. What's the conventional wisdom on doing that?

Some don't do it because it's a System 11 patent. Different image and wording.

No one has made a silk screen for that generation of machines, that I am aware of.

#105 9 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Some don't do it because it's a System 11 patent.

Not on all, Funhouse uses the WPC screen on them as well.

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Not on all, Funhouse uses the WPC screen on them as well.

Thanks for that info. They may have changed it to WPC when they went into production.

However, all of my System 11s have the following image on the back...

Caution.jpgCaution.jpg

#107 9 years ago

Okay...but no patent screen on Funhouse, right? The more I look at pictures, the more I realize you should just leave it off...even though some people do it (I think that's probably a mistake).

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

but no patent screen on Funhouse

I have a Funhouse in the shop right now with the WPC and Patent screens.

#109 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Okay...but no patent screen on Funhouse, right? The more I look at pictures, the more I realize you should just leave it off...even though some people do it (I think that's probably a mistake).

I've never seen the "patent" screen on the back of Funhouse or on any pre-WPC machine.

Just the Caution warning. Was FH the last System 11?

However, I may stand corrected. Maybe McCune can post some pictures.

Williams Patent.jpgWilliams Patent.jpg

#110 9 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Funhouse or on any pre-WPC machine

Funhouse production games are WPC .

#111 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Funhouse production games are WPC .

You're right. I thought it was Funhouse but it was Dr. Dude when they stopped and made the switch.

Good info for others to know as well.

It might also explain the missing patent chart on some Funhouses.

#112 9 years ago

Did we ever figure out what McCune's primer was??

#113 9 years ago

It's automotive epoxy.

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Hey, Jim! I'm actually doing them dry. I know we've never met, but let me assure you I've got a platinum set of balls, am slightly crazy, and a stupid ass to boot. I was telling my friend I was doing a dry mount and he looked like this: He said, "But if you're a sixteenth of an inch off up here, that'll translate to a half inch off down there!" I shrugged and said, "I won't be a sixteenth off."
Thanks for the video...I'll be installing decals in two weeks. I figure I'll have some clamps, old pinball legs for weight, and a flashlight on hand along with microfiber cloths, a brayer, and a shitload of patience.
But I am a little worried about this step, I must admit.
EDIT: Just watched the video and you make it look too easy! So I'm assuming you recommend my wife help me. And can I just use the small squeegee that I got with my patent silkscreen?

Boob, I just got done with my first set of decals, I went dry method as well. My wife was a big help holding decal up while laying them. I just checked 200xs that they were properly aligned before I started laying them. They turned out quite nice. If I can do it you should have no problem. Good luck!

#115 9 years ago

I used the wet method and it worked out fine on my afm.

#116 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Hey Boob, here is a little video I shot today to help you with your decals . I know you are going to them wet like a rookie but here is how you get the job done !
» YouTube video

Some of us can do it without our wife's help too.

#117 9 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Some of us can do it without our wife's help too

I can do that as well but the help is always better. Getting the wife involved in my hobby is always a good thing .

#118 9 years ago

That's why you're a god among men. Off to view your WPC warning silkscreen video about a 100 times so I don't completely screw THAT up, too...

#119 9 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Not Jim though. His wife makes sure he puts the sticky side down.

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

His wife makes sure he puts the sticky side down.

Truth !

#121 9 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Wait...we're still talking about decals, right?

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I don't want it to look like a car. I want it to look like a pin.

Are you serious Boob ? The quality of paint don't make it look like a car, it will just be more durable .

#123 9 years ago

Mine's pretty durable now. Ask me again after I drop it down the basement stairs.

#124 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

That's why you're a god among men. Off to view your WPC warning silkscreen video about a 100 times so I don't completely screw THAT up, too...

Let me know if you need any ink. I'll never use up my quart in a lifetime!

#125 9 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

There's a sticky side??

#126 9 years ago
Quoted from mac622:

Let me know if you need any ink. I'll never use up my quart in a lifetime!

Dude...you're the best. And if you need any ink, just let me know as well. I just bought a quart.

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Are you serious Boob ? The quality of paint don't make it look like a car, it will just be more durable .

By the way...just wondering why you're just catching on now to something I wrote eight days ago. You're gonna have to pay closer attention if you plan to bust my balls in a timely manner.

#128 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

By the way...just wondering why you're just catching on now to something I wrote eight days ago. You're gonna have to pay closer attention if you plan to bust my balls in a timely manner.

True that, I just seen a post that reminded me you said something about looking like a car, I am pretty sure I know who put that thought in your head!

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I just bought a quart

You can do 10000 screens with a quart .

#130 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

You can do 10000 screens with a quart .

That's like people that get 10 consecutive life sentences. What's the point? You'll never see the end of it...

#131 9 years ago

Thank you for posting this thread. I *think* I'm going to tackle my own FH restore. However, cabinet / woodworking is no where close to my wheelhouse. Someone had mentioned using VirtuaPin for a new cabinet. That's the route I think is best for me, but how much woodworking would be required at that point? Are the cabinets otherwise pretty exact?

#132 9 years ago

Yep. If you order from Virtuapin, you can specify which game it's for and they'll tailor-make it for you (like the two shooter holes in Funhouse). They'll also paint and decal if you want to pay extra so that it's pretty much ready for population when you get it. And you may be better at woodworking than you think!

#133 9 years ago
Quoted from Rush1169:

Thank you for posting this thread. I *think* I'm going to tackle my own FH restore. However, cabinet / woodworking is no where close to my wheelhouse. Someone had mentioned using VirtuaPin for a new cabinet. That's the route I think is best for me, but how much woodworking would be required at that point? Are the cabinets otherwise pretty exact?

It's worth a try doing it yourself, you can always buy a vituapin cab. Do some research on this great site and you'd be surprised at what you can do. Hell if boob and I can do it I'm sure you'll do fine.

#134 9 years ago

Really. Anyone here can tell you I'm a moron. Why do you think everybody keeps calling me Boob? It's not because of my old man tits, I can tell you that.

#135 9 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

You mean open a beer, sure I can do that and I'm not even married.

#136 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Wait...we're still talking about decals, right?

I thought we were talking about opening beer.

#137 8 years ago
Quoted from Rush1169:

I'm pretty sure there would be "no" woodworking required if buying one of their cabs but ask me in a few weeks and I'll confirm. I'm fairly adept at woodworking and restored my WW cab no problem but my FH cabinet and bbox were both is such poor condition (water damage, delamination, etc) that it didn't make sense to spend the massive amount of time and reworking it would have taken to restore them. I took the plunge and ordered one of Virtuapins' cab/bbox packages and am having the art installed. Paul was great to work with had no problem with any extras I asked for (full paint down the insides, etc.).

#138 8 years ago

Remember that time we never met and you promised you'd restore a Funhouse for me? Looks like my game is coming along great! Seriously, though, great work.

#139 8 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Remember that time we never met and you promised you'd restore a Funhouse for me? Looks like my game is coming along great! Seriously, though, great work.

Thanks. I'll send a bill shortly.

#140 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Thanks. I'll send a bill shortly

That would put you in professional status !

#141 8 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

That would put you in professional status !

I've gotta do something when I retire in 4-5 years...might as well start practicing now!

#142 8 years ago

amazing work

#143 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

(Sorry, McCune...I still didn't spring for a Festool. Even I have limits!)

I don't know what these cost, but my buddy has one and you can sand stuff with pretty much 0 dust. It's awesome. Good luck with the resto.

#144 8 years ago

Yeah...I'll spring for one if I decide to make this a habit. Let's see if I blow this one up first...

#145 8 years ago

QUESTION ABOUT DECAL ALIGNMENT: When you apply the decals to the cabinet, should the cut off bottom of the graphics run precisely along the bottom of where you're trimming? Or should I leave an 1/8th inch of blue? (I think this is how Williams did it). Trying not to F this up!

#146 8 years ago

here is a pic of my original...1429909786551.jpg1429909786551.jpg

#147 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yeah...I'll spring for one if I decide to make this a habit. Let's see if I blow this one up first...

I think the guy who's doing the TZ restore thread may have blown his up! It didn't do much for my confidence that's for sure.

#148 8 years ago

I always cut to the top of the bevel/ rounded edge. Nice and clean

#149 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

QUESTION ABOUT DECAL ALIGNMENT: When you apply the decals to the cabinet, should the cut off bottom of the graphics run precisely along the bottom of where you're trimming? Or should I leave an 1/8th inch of blue? (I think this is how Williams did it). Trying not to F this up!

This is why I always take pics of the cabinet before I tear it apart. You could check pics on IPDB. That should show you what the originals looked like.

#150 8 years ago

Yeah...I did take pics. But I know there's a blue bar at the bottom (like in the picture above), so I didn't take any closeups of that. I just figured Williams cut the decals that way because they didn't give a shit. Seems the graphic should be flush with the bottom.

Looked at Chris' HEP photos, and he leaves a 1/8th border at the bottom...and then something occurred to me...

If you have to do the front decal first (and you do), then you align everything off the Start button being centered anyway. That dictates how much border you have at the bottom, and then you just do the sides in the same manner. Problem solved!

Thanks for everybody's input!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 22.50
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 324 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-this-aint-no-hep-funhouse-restoration-1/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.