Topic Stats

• 150 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by VGC1612
  • Topic is favorited by 43 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

KP1 (resized).jpg
DSCF1079 (resized).JPG
DSCF1080 (resized).JPG
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0199 (resized).JPG
IMG_0200 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
images_(resized).jpg
Untitled_(resized).png
dsc_0397_(resized).jpg
Bill-Jeff_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image.jpeg
qxy0g.gif

There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from vegemite_nick:

"Someone" yes that's me. I have PM, Airborne, FF and BBB, and of course the KP whitewood. So you might say a Capcom fan. Best dots thanks Kevin for your part in that! Got to know the KP dots pretty well - very special.

That's some inspiring work you've done. How did you learn to do all that?

And thanks for all the appreciation.

Did you get one of the Big Bang Bars that were produced post-CAPCOM pinball division?

#52 3 years ago

I would say usually it is the designers or maybe a programmer that gets all the praise for great titles.
Art packages and Dots can make or break an otherwise great title IMO.

You have a very impressive resume and are phenomenal at what you do.

Thank you for all the extra time and care put into doing your Job.
If you had not gone above and beyond; these titles would not have be the desired pieces they are today.

#53 3 years ago

I really love Capcom games - they had the gameplay, sound, dots, and humor -- the total package down on their games.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from DMDDude:

That's some inspiring work you've done. How did you learn to do all that?
And thanks for all the appreciation.
Did you get one of the Big Bang Bars that were produced post-CAPCOM pinball division?

Learned from just the normal pinball love affair - play 'em, break em, fix 'em, repeat.

Yes, got one of the PMI BBB reissues.

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

He hasn't been with JJP for over a year.
LTG : )

Thanks Lloyd. Hopefully he is doing okay in whatever he's up to.

#56 3 years ago

Kevin, what was your inspiration for the pilot animations when shooting the spinner on Airborne? I really like it and it's great how his cheeks start flapping as you get more airspeed. It reminds me of something but I don't know what...Roger Ramjet, or Chuck Yeager in The Right Stuff, or The Rocketeer movie?

#57 3 years ago

Kevin,
Please consider contacting Jay at the Internet Pinball Database http://www.ipdb.org

Please let him know what games you worked on.

Untitled_(resized).png

#58 3 years ago

Just found this topic. Welcome to Pinside. Dots on Capcom games are the some of the best I've seen, especially on BBB and Kingpin. Compared to the dotwork on later games there is no denying that dot animations is an artform.

#59 3 years ago

Shoot_Again, your kind words mean alot. I feel the investment into our pins has been rewarded over the years. Thank you.

Pinterest, I love humor in games. I can play a more serious tone game and have a good time. But humor gets me to another level.

Thanks from the team of people who worked on those pins. I will post later about how we worked on the games.

Vegemite_nick, that's usually the best way to learn. Hands on and experimental.

I am glad Big Bang Bar went into production, because it was such a shame that so few were made. It is a beautiful game to look at. Especially in low light.

DMC, I researched pilots for the animations on the computer. I think I discovered photos and some lower quality video of a pilot being trained for high speeds through a simulator. Then separated the different stages for the spinner animations. It was satisfying seeing them all in the game. The sound was great, too.

Scott_freeman, I will reach out to him. Thank you.

Unigroove, thank you. It's been humbling and joyous to get these positive responses.

#60 3 years ago

Story time:

CAPCOM put Big Bang Bar on location at an arcade in a mall. A few members of the team were going to make a trip over to check on it, and Stan Fukuoka invited me to come with them. I accepted, and we left the office.

We arrived at the arcade and the place was practically empty being that it was during the day. As they gathered around the machine I wanted to walk around the arcade a bit first. Looking back, I noticed someone walk up to the group and then shook Stan's hand. Stan had a big smile on his face.

I returned to the team later to find out it was a SEGA pinball artist who loved the Big Bang Bar cabinet artwork. (SEGA had a pin on test at that location, too, apparently.) I thought it was a very cool moment.

#61 3 years ago

I like the animations on Kingpin. I play it all the time on my virtual pin. Shame the software didn't get finished. Such a great start.

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from DMDDude:

Defense Grid 2.

Defense Grid is my favorite TD game series

haven't played any of the Capcom games listed (nobody down here has those titles that I am aware of) but I love my Pinball Magic!

#63 3 years ago

CaptainNeo, it was a shame.

Flecom, Defense Grid 2 was my first tower defense game. They have a VR edition, now. So, it's my first VR game as well!

#64 3 years ago

friend of mine has a vive will it work on there? if so, well there goes my weekend!

#65 3 years ago

I've never played an Airborne that's because I've never saw one in person but would really like to come across one for sale one of these days....it's all about the theme

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from bronco-jon:

I've never played an Airborne because I've never seen one in person.

That's because you've been looking the wrong place. For Airborne you have to look...up!

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from DMDDude:

Story time:
CAPCOM put Big Bang Bar on location at an arcade in a mall. A few members of the team were going to make a trip over to check on it, and Stan Fukuoka invited me to come with them. I accepted, and we left the office.
We arrived at the arcade and the place was practically empty being that it was during the day. As they gathered around the machine I wanted to walk around the arcade a bit first. Looking back, I noticed someone walk up to the group and then shook Stan's hand. Stan had a big smile on his face.
I returned to the team later to find out it was a SEGA pinball artist who loved the Big Bang Bar cabinet artwork. (SEGA had a pin on test at that location, too, apparently.) I thought it was a very cool moment.

I have BBB #5 and a complete collection of all 5 hand signed limited edition artworks Stan Fukuoka did for BBB. I have owned mine since nib and will never part with it or the artworks. My hats off to you and the rest of the Capcom team. It's really too bad it had to end. I think the creative team at Capcom would have been a positive influence in today's market.

#68 3 years ago

I like the stories, especially those when a supervisor says come out to the field to see your results. You wouldn't believe how un-often that happens. I'm a huge fan of checking out the field.

Anyway, what are your favorite pins out today and do you own any?

#69 3 years ago

Flecom, it unfortunately was funded by Oculus. So, no it isn't made for Vive, but I heard people have found ways to get around it.

Bronco-jon, I wish there was one nearby me. Went to a bar that had classic and modern-ish pins hoping to find it. Not there.

Imeh, thank you. I showed a Big Bang Bar video to a newer friend and he his reaction was great. He really liked the art and lights. I am glad you have it and Stan's artwork.

I feel like we did have a positive impact, but it was brief.

RyanStl, I don't get to play the newer pins, but I follow the news here and there and checkout videos. Where I used to live, there was a great arcade and sports bar to play pins.

Sadly, I don't own any pins. That's why I check out other people's impressive collections.

#70 3 years ago

What do you think about BBB and KP remake?

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from VGC1612:

What do you think about BBB and KP remake?

I was ecstatic when the Big Bang Bars were released. And If King Pins were made, I would have to invite some friends for a celebration.

King Pin was my last pin at CAPCOM and ever. It would be something of a dream to see it get the same treatment as Big Bang Bar.

#72 3 years ago

I am a big fan of Capcom machines. I own PM, AB, BS and FF. I played BBB and KP already. Capcom machines are a beautiful little spot in the pinball universe.

Good job on all the animations as well!

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from PinBertl:

I am a big fan of Capcom machines. I own PM, AB, BS and FF. I played BBB and KP already. Capcom machines are a beautiful little spot in the pinball universe.
Good job on all the animations as well!

Thank you! That's an impressive collection.

#74 3 years ago

DMDDude - I sent you a Private Message - Please get back to me.

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

I sent you a Private Message. Please get back to me.

Don't do it...it's a trap!

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Don't do it...it's a trap!

Actually, it's a gift!

#77 3 years ago

Did you have anything to do with Zingy Bingy? Do you know anything about it?

#78 3 years ago

You could buy a run dmd clock and it could showcase all your animations if you wanted

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

I wasn't involved in Zingy Bingy. It felt like a project meant for only those working on it.

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

You could buy a run dmd clock and it could showcase all your animations if you wanted

That's a good idea. Could put it at my desk!

#81 3 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

it's pretty much the reason Capcom was closed. And the reason the CEO's even saw it, was because of certain expenses that seemed to be higher than they should be due to wild parties.

#82 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it's pretty much the reason Capcom was closed. And the reason the CEO's even saw it, was because of certain expenses that seemed to be higher than they should be due to wild parties.

That's really disappointing to hear. Has anyone even seen a Zingy Bingy?

#83 3 years ago
Quoted from DMDDude:

Has anyone even seen a Zingy Bingy?

Pictures of the playfield in cabinet exist. In a private collection. Backbox with the two exensive puppets doesn't exist.

#85 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Pictures of the playfield in cabinet exist. In a private collection. Backbox with the two exensive puppets doesn't exist.

images_(resized).jpg

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Interesting, i did not know that a backbox existed at all.

#87 3 years ago

LOL

#88 3 years ago

Story time:

Airborne had enough going on the playfield that they added a co-pilot to help you with where to shoot. That worked for the player, but then the feedback was some players wanted to turn it off badly. They might have even hated it! So, for those people they added the eject co-pilot option.

#89 3 years ago

Story time:

Big Bang Bar had alot of aliens. I kept making more and more with each animation. For the Free Shot animation, I lifted an alien from the play field. It was the strange looking guy with the transparent head where you could see his brain. He was perfect for what I had in mind.

I wanted him to take a powerful shot (drink) that fried his brain. And because you could see his brain, I made it turn dark and shriveled it up a bit. He had that wiped out expression at the end to complete it. I thought it took advantage of the bar in space theme. Only in an alien bar, right?

There was also a shot glass animation that I made studying a real shot glass in office. First, I modeled a 3D shot glass and animated it moving around in an swirling fashion that I could loop. When it was rendered, I went in by hand to make sure it was clean.

Then I studied how the drink would swirl around the glass. Mimicking the movement of the animation, I moved the shot glass with water in it. I animated the drink motion from there to finish it.

#90 3 years ago

Lt Eric Russell I think. Reminds me a bit of Kelly McGillis in Top Gun.
image_(resized).jpeg

Added over 3 years ago: Erica Russell

#91 3 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

Thanks for posting here. Can you tell us more background info on how the graphics were made ?
what programs, workflow of how you'd think of an idea, did you have much freedom or did you check with others, ..

I typed up an answer to these questions and the computer glitched and lost it. This is my rewrite:

For each game I worked on, the process was similar. The pinball designer would draw up plans for a new playfield. As they would work on that, ideas for the theme would be thrown around. The pinball prototyping would begin once the playfield was signed off. The theme ideas and drawings would continue.

Once the theme was chosen, then the dot matrix animations would begin. They would show me their drawings and explain what the game was about.

Going forward, they gave us animators requests without pushing into too much details. As an artist, I appreciated their trust. We were allowed the freedom to make it our own.

For example, the Big Bang Bar Multibrawl (multi-ball mode) was given to me in a basic premise: One guy at the bar bumps into another, the second guy gets mad and punches first guy into another guy, and the bar fight begins with the third guy. My job from there was to work it out.

I drew the characters on paper to work out what I wanted. I chose an human astronaut because I decided making an everyman character would make it funnier for the whole bit for a few reasons. He was a careless guy who didn't mean any harm. The drawing I made worked well, too.

The second guy became an alien who's poor hand gets crushed on the bar. Him screaming with multiple tongues seemed kinda cool and making him cry with the throbbing hand was a good point to put up the lock ball text. I panned the first guy off the screen for the text.

The second ball lock turned out to be the second guy holding the astronaut looking angry and tries to punch him. What I though would be so funny is the astronaut would close the helmet just in time to protect him from the punch, but the hit still pushes him back into the third guy who happened to be drinking. To make the ending better, I designed a one-eyed alien who's drink happened to be the right size to push his eye into and get stuck into the glass. As the test comes up, he's struggling to get it off. I drew frames of what happened before making the dots.

The last ball lock was an intimidating one-eyed monster aliens that somehow grew bigger and the first two scared guys are blaming each other by repeatedly pointing at one another. I had him grab and choke both guys to build it up and start the fight by smashing their heads together. (Breaking through the astonaut's helmet glass to do it I thought was was a nice touch.)

So, from a basic premise, I was given the freedom to work out what it became. This happened over and over. Others animations I added on my own to add narrative or to add more humor, cool stuff, etc.

Software I used for drawing the animations was an old program called Deluxe Paint on PC. I don't know if it is available anymore. It was great for what we needed.

To preview the animation file on the DMD sitting on my desk, we used a program someone made. Don't remember a name for it. We would run it from the command line.

1 month later
#92 3 years ago

Hey Kevin. Last weekend I took my nice Airborne to Pinfest at Caves Beach, Newcastle. Our Pinfest is open to the public and entry proceeds go towards charity. There were 65 machines present with hundreds of visitors attending and playing the machines on free play. I watched dozens of people play the Airborne and they all were having a great time. The more experienced pinheads there also loved playing the game as many of them hadn't seen one, let alone played one. At the end of the weekend the machine was awarded Best DMD and Best in Show for how nicely it presented. I have the LED OCD board in it which really brings the machine to life. So thanks again for your contribution to the game. Now I just need to get in touch with Claude as well ☺️

IMG_0200 (resized).JPG

IMG_0199 (resized).JPG

IMG_0198 (resized).JPG

#93 3 years ago

Anyone at ColorDMD looking at these for colouring?

Would there be any specific issues with the Capcom system?

Sounds like they could be some of the best.

I've only played an Airborne, but would like to check out others. Not so many around in Oz.

PS - congrats on the awards. Beautiful pin.

Mike.

#94 3 years ago

ColorDMD LED fits pretty good under the big DMD/CPU mounting bracket, but the LCD needs some extra hardware. In any case, unofficially you can get the Sigma display working. Looks really good in Pinball Magic.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-sigma-display-in-bbb-unofficial#post-3304549

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

ColorDMD LED fits pretty good under the big DMD/CPU mounting bracket, but the LCD needs some extra hardware. In any case, unofficially you can get the Sigma display working. Looks really good in Pinball Magic.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-sigma-display-in-bbb-unofficial#post-3304549

Another albeit cheaper option is to just get an xpin dmd. I have a red one in my pm and a blue one in my airborne.

9 months later
#96 2 years ago

Any more stories DMDDude?'

2 weeks later
#97 2 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

Any more stories DMDDude?'

A second vote to hear more.

#98 2 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

I recognize the guy front and center, he's the Great Hansen from Pinball Magic!

That's him I just got his PM.

#99 2 years ago

Just happened upon this thread also. Great stories behind some of the memorable animations in BBB. BBB's are so comical and perfect for the game. I love the alien ball lock animation that shows the pov from the bottom of the glass while its being drunk from.

1 week later
#100 2 years ago

bump for a great read!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
2,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
$ 21.00
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Jacksonville, NC
There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside