I would of done a full restoration, but I only have a certain amount of money I can put into it. I can do everything except airbrushing and clear coating. I was debating about decals, touching-up, and/or mylar, but in the end I left the playfield as is. This pin spent the first half of its life in an arcade or on a route. I picked it up in 2003 and haven't done anything to it except change bulbs, clean the playfield (what is exposed), and other routine maintenance. There is wear around the inserts, and a couple chipped paint spots, but considering this is 22 years old, all original, and was routed, the playfield is in excellent shape given those factors. I decided to add some mods and do a complete tear down of the top side of the playfield and clean everything I could get my hands on. Others have documented how to tear down so I'll skip that. I would suggest tons of pics, though. And when you think you have enough, take some more, you can never have too many. I would also suggest taking pics after you remove one layer or stage so you can see how it goes back together underneath the top layers. It took me @ 8 hours (at a leisurely pace) to disassemble the top-side. Here's a pic of what the playfield looked like.
Pretty darn filthy. It's also nice to have a nice large area to put all the pieces on. I put my pool table cover on and used that.
Anyone whose done this can tell you the jet bumpers are a pain to remove. Photograph the underside and mark where each jet bumper came from, and tag or identify which side the diode is connected to. That's because there is plastic sleeves around certain leads that get routed through or near metal pieces. Take note and picture how they're routed.
I pulled one end (when I could) or the whole staple out that holds the leads to the underside. Save them, and try to re-use them (a pain, but can be done. Unless of course you disassemble the underside too, then you can get a staple gun in there). Unfortunately some of staples are underneath the solder joints, so you have to melt the solder then pull the staple (a fun trick). You would think they could of used insulated wire instead of bare metal leads for the sockets in the jet bumpers.
I also removed from the underside the chair assembly, the swamp assembly, thing assembly, vault assembly, and the subway. I wanted to clean wherever the ball travels, plus most of this needs to come out anyway to completely clear the top side. I used a heat gun to remove the old pieces of mylar. Mine is adjustable, I set it to the level of a hair dryer (roughly) and used back and forth strokes (don't heat one spot too much). I used a plastic putty knife to lift the mylar, slowly and gently, and separate it from the playfield. I used Goo-gone to clean the rest of the adhesive off (thanks to vid, see his post on how to). Once everything was removed I cleaned the initial thick layer of grunge with Pledge multi-purpose wipes. They're safe on a multitude of surfaces, and no harsh ingredients. The only downside is if you wipe any of the rough, unsanded parts of the cabinet, it pulls at and leaves tiny bits of the wipe behind. Can be removed, just a nuisance. Any stuck on filth, like the shooting lane and where the ball travels in the back, I used a magic eraser (don't scrub too hard). Once the majority of the filth was gone I used Novus 1 to complete the cleaning. Then Novus 3 to fill in the heavy scratches, then Novus 2 for the small, fine scratches. I completed with a layer of Meguire's wax and buffed. Here's how it looks all clean and shiny.
Post edited by vilant : spelling