DSC06485.JPG
DSC06484.JPG
DSC06483.JPG
DSC06482.JPG
DSC06480.JPG
DSC06479.JPG
DSC06475.JPG

#1 8 years ago

Bought the Pegasus model ship: http://www.amazon.com/Pegasus-Hobbies-Terminator-Aerial-Hunter/dp/B00D4PF2Q0/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1

Modified it with lights and mounted it in my machine. Here is some video and pictures of the build process. Thanks for looking!

DSC06465.JPGDSC06465.JPGDSC06466.JPGDSC06466.JPGDSC06470.JPGDSC06470.JPGDSC06474.JPGDSC06474.JPGDSC06475.JPGDSC06475.JPGDSC06479.JPGDSC06479.JPGDSC06480.JPGDSC06480.JPGDSC06482.JPGDSC06482.JPGDSC06483.JPGDSC06483.JPGDSC06484.JPGDSC06484.JPGDSC06485.JPGDSC06485.JPGDSC06491.JPGDSC06491.JPG

DSC06485.JPGDSC06485.JPG DSC06490.JPGDSC06490.JPG DSC06483-954.JPGDSC06483-954.JPG DSC06484-387.JPGDSC06484-387.JPG
#3 8 years ago

really nice job...

looks great in the game too

#4 8 years ago

Thanks Gerry!

#5 8 years ago

Hi rx,

One word, WOW!

You have the best mods, first the topper, then the helicopter mod and now this.

Amazing

Regards,
Scott

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from sc0ttf:

Hi rx,
One word, WOW!
You have the best mods, first the topper, then the helicopter mod and now this.
Amazing
Regards,
Scott

Thanks Scott! I put a lot of time into these mods. Also, I saw your thread asking about the orientation of the metal piece that appears to be missing from mine. I actually didn't take mine off. I think I had forgot to put it back on in those pictures. Here's a picture showing how it should go. The bend should go up. You have yours upside down. Hope that helps. DSC06515.JPGDSC06515.JPG

#7 8 years ago

Hi rx3,

Thanks for your explaination, i have moved flipped around my metal piece to duplicate your above picture.

I have a pegasus kit in the mail on its way, you have inspired me, if mine comes out half as good as yours i will be wrapped.

Keep up the good work,
Scott

1 week later
#8 8 years ago
Quoted from sc0ttf:

Hi rx3,
Thanks for your explaination, i have moved flipped around my metal piece to duplicate your above picture.
I have a pegasus kit in the mail on its way, you have inspired me, if mine comes out half as good as yours i will be wrapped.
Keep up the good work,
Scott

No prob. Feel free to ask any questions once you start yours. This is what I used to paint it http://www.hobbyrecreationproducts.com/Ultimate-Mirror-Chrome-Aerosol-3-5Oz-p/szx10009.htm

You have to use their black undercoat to get a chrome look. After applying the black, put only one coat of the chrome paint. The more coats you apply, the more you will lose the chrome effect. Practice on the extra plastic pieces you get in the model kit before you actually paint your model. I applied 2 coats and lost some of the chrome.

#9 8 years ago

Looks great on the playfield! I think the finish came out nicely!

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from sc0ttf:

Hi rx3,
Keep up the good work,
Scott

Hi rx,

Thanks for the tips, do you think one can of the 'ULTIMATE MIRROR CHROME AEROSOL 3.5 oz.' is enough to complete this project?
Also which black paint did you apply first? Can you please post the link mate?

Cheers,
Scott

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from sc0ttf:

Hi rx,
Thanks for the tips, do you think one can of the 'ULTIMATE MIRROR CHROME AEROSOL 3.5 oz.' is enough to complete this project?
Also which black paint did you apply first? Can you please post the link mate?
Cheers,
Scott

No prob. One can is more than enough. Here's the black undercoat http://www.hobbyrecreationproducts.com/Spaz-Stix-Inc-SZX10209-p/szx10209.htm

#12 8 years ago

Awesome, at first I thought it was going to be too big but seeing it installed changed my mind, looks great.

#13 8 years ago

I'm glad I saw this, I just ordered this model to do the same thing. I think I'll be tying more of the ship lights in with GI, and have a strip under the ship for the flasher there. Couple question:

What did you use for the tail tips?

What did you use for the jet inserts?

What type of LED's did you use for the skull eyes?

Nice work, and thanks for posting!

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I'm glad I saw this, I just ordered this model to do the same thing. I think I'll be tying more of the ship lights in with GI, and have a strip under the ship for the flasher there. Couple question:
What did you use for the tail tips?
What did you use for the jet inserts?
What type of LED's did you use for the skull eyes?
Nice work, and thanks for posting!

These are the leds that I used in the wing tips ebay.com link: 100Pcs RED 0805 SMD SMT Super Bright LED

Then I used these (trimmed down) to put over the leds (you're gonna laugh): DSC06541.JPGDSC06541.JPG

They worked perfect diffusing the leds. And they stick really well with glue. They're rubber.

The skull eyes I bought from Pinball Life: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3256

Can't wait to see yours or others when done. Post them when done. Mine took about a year. I wasn't very motivated. I'd work on it every couple months.

Oh, and for the jet inserts, I used bright orange leds which weren't bright enough. I had to add orange led strips to the bottom of the ship.

For the lens part, I used some old lighted pushbutton switches I found at a local electronics store. I cut the lens part and grinded it down to fit in the jet. Then I sanded and buffed the edges that I had grinded. They actually came out better than I expected and it was pretty easy to do.

1 year later
#15 7 years ago

wanted to revive this thread because I saw it mentioned spaz stix mirror paint. Found this video that also recommends it after testing many rattle can options:

Here's a good video showing the black coats, letting it dry, spraying light coats of chrome, then lightly buffing it:

This video shows spraying on a very smooth surface like a plastic spoon. Also compares spaz stix to a more expensive paint called alclad chrome, and the spaz stix seems to be tougher surface

#16 7 years ago

Super impressive mod. Thanks for taking the time to share the "how to" with everyone - that took a lot of effort, too!

1 month later
#17 7 years ago

Hi. I love your hunter ship mod and will try and follow your lead. Do you have any other tips before I begin? Also I did not see any info on electrical connections, can you give a little tutorial on how you hooked it up. Thanks for all the sharing and looks great!

Gord

1 week later
#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Gandl96:

Hi. I love your hunter ship mod and will try and follow your lead. Do you have any other tips before I begin? Also I did not see any info on electrical connections, can you give a little tutorial on how you hooked it up. Thanks for all the sharing and looks great!
Gord

Gord, the lighting that you choose to stay on, you can connect to a 6 or 12v source on the game. I always convert my service outlet to turn off and on with the game and just use a wall transformer, so I don't tax the machine. The interactive lights on the ship, you basically connect them to whatever insert or flashers you want them to interact with. In this case, I connected them to the flashers that go off when you hit the targets.

As far as tips, use thin wires in the ship and make sure you don't pinch them when assembling the ship. Also, make sure you don't glue them and they remain free to slide through the ship. This way, you will be able to solder your LED to the wire and pull it into place from the other end of the wire.

Here's a picture of the transformer in my service outlet:

P1010043 (resized).JPGP1010043 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#19 7 years ago

Ok I just got back to you post now. I looked at my service outlet. It is just a cap. No outlet. Is there a component I need to purchase to convert. If so, how do I also convert to switch on and off with the machine. For the leds do you recommend 6 or 12v? Does it make any difference? I think I will go with the service outlet solution and just tie in the search lights to the target flashers. I am assuming they are all the same and I can choose any of them. Thanks for all the newbie questions. The mechanical stuff is easy for me. Learning the electrical side!

4 months later
#20 6 years ago
Quoted from rx3:

Bought the Pegasus model ship: amazon.com link »
Modified it with lights and mounted it in my machine. Here is some video and pictures of the build process. Thanks for looking!
» YouTube video

Huh... Is this model bigger than the new cinemachines ship?

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Don't know. My cinemachines ship has been backordered for months. I'll let you know when I get it.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Yes, I almost bought this model because it really is pretty awesome and detailed, but it just seemed much too big in the playfield. The Cinemachines is closer in size to the original plastic ship, only slightly larger I believe, but doesn't feel out of place. Of course, it's much heavier being metal, and not as easily modified for lighting. Still not perfect, but I'm excited to get mine installed and will post pics once it's in the game!

1 week later
#23 6 years ago
Quoted from rx3:

Don't know. My cinemachines ship has been backordered for months. I'll let you know when I get it.

I just ordered one from ToyWiz and it shipped immediately: https://toywiz.com/neca-the-terminator-terminator-2-judgment-day-cinemachines-die-cast-collectibles-hunter-killer-action-figure-aerial/

#24 6 years ago

Ya, I got mine finally. Gonna try to add lights and paint it chrome soon.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from rx3:

Ya, I got mine finally. Gonna try to add lights and paint it chrome soon.

Received mine and I'm impressed with the quality. Didn't think about adding lights. Are you planning on drilling through the due cast metal?

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Frogman:

Received mine and I'm impressed with the quality. Didn't think about adding lights. Are you planning on drilling through the due cast metal?

I have to look at the ship closer, but maybe "carve" out a thin channel to run thin wires. Fill the channel, sand and paint. If done right, you shouldn't be able to see the channel.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from rx3:

I have to look at the ship closer, but maybe "carve" out a thin channel to run thin wires. Fill the channel, sand and paint. If done right, you shouldn't be able to see the channel.

What will you use to hold the ship? I might follow your steps here...

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

What will you use to hold the ship? I might follow your steps here...

Same thing I used in this picture. Maybe, even run the wiring under the mount. I made this mount by copying an original mount. Just bent it a little bigger to accommodate the larger ship.

2b25070669233d20087c56590a5de5ce94546271 (resized).jpg2b25070669233d20087c56590a5de5ce94546271 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-t2-hunter-ship-alternativemod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.