(Topic ID: 173772)

My STTNG is adding mutiple balls to play when there shouldn't be.

By halomojo

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by JohnS
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Strange problem just started happening with my STTNG. During play the trough will continuously kick balls into the ball launch and then they're launched into play. Three balls are pre loaded in the cannons, so those do not launch, but the trough kickout solenoid will continue to fire repeatedly even after the trough has been emptied. If all balls drain, the trough will kickout another ball before the game has time to recognize that the ball has ended.

I've checked the Trough Optos and they're all functioning correctly. I get one error when I power up the machine "Check Switch 17 Right Ret Lane."

Any ideas of what I should be taking a look at here? Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

The trough optos on mine were registering correctly too, but it was still launching multiple balls.

I have 3 pins with the 7-ball trough boards, so I was able to swap boards around and the problem followed the board set to the other pin.

Ended up reflowing all the solder joints on the trough boards and it fixed the problem.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Kronlar:

The trough optos on mine were registering correctly too, but it was still launching multiple balls.
I have 3 pins with the 7-ball trough boards, so I was able to swap boards around and the problem followed the board set to the other pin.
Ended up reflowing all the solder joints on the trough boards and it fixed the problem.

Good tip! I'll give it a shot and report back.

#4 7 years ago

The wire leads on the big blue resistors on the trough opto board are notorious for breaking from the heat and vibration.

And be sure to check all 7 optos. I believe the 7th opto (trough up) is when a ball is partially shot up to the launcher and falls back down on top of another ball that rolled under it.

1 week later
#5 7 years ago

I've been trying to diagnose this over the last week or so. Reflowed the solder the ball trough opto board and things seemed to be ok for a few games and then problem presented itself once again. I think the issue lies with the (Trough Up) switch on the opto board. I'll be in the middle of playing a ball and the Trough Up solenoid will fire multiple times, regardless of if there are balls in the trough. It's an inconsistent problem as well which makes it tricky to nail down. When I look at the opto boards with a digital camera, I can see that all 7 LEDs are properly lit.

Do you think it's time to go ahead and replace the ball trough opto boards? Thanks!

#6 7 years ago

Just replace the boards. I was in the same situation as you and got tired of repairing those things. They're inexpensive and you'll be glad you did.

#7 7 years ago

I replaced mine with the Great Lakes Modular boards, and I'm the type of person that likes to fix things if at all possible. They're cheap compared to the value of the game. They're supposed to use less power so it puts less strain on the power board, so overall it's a good investment.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.99
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-sttng-is-adding-mutiple-balls-to-play-when-there-shouldnt-be and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.