IMG_9495.JPG
IMG_9493-1.jpg
IMG_9491-1.jpg
IMG_9477-1.jpg
IMG_9486-1.jpg
IMG_9468-1.jpg
image-158.jpg
image-961.jpg
There are 259 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
#101 9 years ago

Since you are doing all new sockets (I'll be doing the same), what do you intend to use for ground braid? Equivalent to original, or something better?

#102 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Look at that wall of tools... jealous!
-mof

Haha! I was going to say "How Organized!!" Looks like a store display!!

Excellent work! Wow.

#103 9 years ago

Ground wire done

image.jpgimage.jpg

I did the ground braid with this, you can probably find this in store... It's wire to hang frame. I remove two strand to have the same size as the originaleimage.jpgimage.jpg

I recommand you to buy a air stapler with a long nose, awesome to do the job!image.jpgimage.jpg

Next switch...

#104 9 years ago

What type of metal is that picture wire? I was going to try that years ago and found the resistance of the wire was way more than tinned copper. I didn't use it in fear of overloading the lamp circuits. Also, was it hard to solder it?

#105 9 years ago

Very easy to solder... Done 4-5 playfield with it and no problem

#106 9 years ago

That's good to hear. Just for future use though, I would stay with tinned copper over the stainless steel.

Looks great so far though. Is that a repro pf or restored original?

#107 9 years ago

It's a repro from john, look real good... He did and awesome job

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

It's a repro from john, look real good... He did and awesome job

Nice, how many did he make? I'm waiting for seawitch from John.

#109 9 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

Very easy to solder

Any tricks for soldering the braid to the lamp sockets? Do the sockets have to be "scuffed" or anything first?

What socket did you use under the star rollovers? I couldn't find an exact replacement when shopping with PBR.

#110 9 years ago

Nothing special to do for soldering... I used my temp controled iron pretty hot and it work good. The socket for the star rollover is 1 5/8 socket and nobody seem to carry idem. I have a friend who have a couple from an old gottlieb playfield.

I think john made 40 playfield...

#111 9 years ago

These work well for star roll over inserts. http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/E-120-99

Some people call them "lay down" sockets. Also good for tight places.

I use a 60 watt iron to solder the buss wire to the sockets. Like the OP said, you need to get them really hot.

#112 9 years ago

Marco Specialties still hasn't inventoried the 2 playfields without white. I asked them at TPF. 40 playfields & I asked for 12 more to be cut. Seawitch will be in production hopefully in April.

#114 9 years ago

Switch done!
image.jpgimage.jpg
image-19.jpgimage-19.jpg

I had to take some precaution because, there is some stand up switch with a bulb socket, just behind. To be sure there is no contact, i put heat shrink sleeve around the target.

Next mechanism assembly

image-663.jpgimage-663.jpg image-690.jpgimage-690.jpg image-851.jpgimage-851.jpg
#115 9 years ago

Just a little advice, I have done 7 seven swaps now. I would wait until you are ready to return the wire loom to the pf before soldering in the caps and diodes. You may be making more work for yourself because some of the wires will be soldered to those diodes and caps. Also it looks like you're not getting the solder hot enough on those switches, the solder shouldn't bead up, it should spread out a little more. When it beads, there'e chance that the solder joint is not fully melted to the metal. I know it's tricky because the solder wants to fall through the little holes on the tabs but it's all about timing with the soldering iron.
Rich

#116 9 years ago

It will be a lot of work one way or the other, because I have to recreate the wiring harness... it's not a swap, but a complete built!

I made a lot of swap before (6 swap) and never had an issue... I will keep this in mind for the futur.

Thank's

#117 9 years ago

All the assenbly done! Start looking like a real playfield!

Next transplantation... Big Game harness on stargazer

image.jpgimage.jpg image-286.jpgimage-286.jpg
#118 9 years ago

A new harness? That's a huge undertaking. Good luck. Where are you getting the wire?

#119 9 years ago

I will start with a donor Big Game harness, and will see from there what I need. I collect some old harness wire from the past two years for that project.

#120 9 years ago

this will look beautiful by the time your finished

#121 9 years ago

What are the metal rails for? Will they stay on when complete?
-mof

#122 9 years ago

Yes

All my old stern have it...

#123 9 years ago

I've got to check my SW when I get home. I don't remember seeing those side rails on my playfield

#124 9 years ago

I just look at a bunch of photo from IPDB and some have it some don't... so I don't know why.

I'm pretty sure i have it on my big game, F2K and Iron maiden... Can't remember for Quicksilver and Catacomb...

My friend Stargazer have it for sure cause i take some pics last week and they are there

#125 9 years ago

Let's see some pictures of the other side please!

#126 9 years ago

Nothing have been done to the other side... I keep it for the end!

This week end, I start the wiring harness!

#127 9 years ago

I am really enjoying seeing the pictures as you progress thru this project. Thanks so much for sharing!

#128 9 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I've got to check my SW when I get home. I don't remember seeing those side rails on my playfield

I have seen some with the rails and some without, F2K, Meteor, seawitch etc.

#129 9 years ago

yep, I can verify that my SW has no rails

#130 9 years ago

Yesterday was a big day. I start the playfeild harness construction with HPR pinball. Everything went smooth.

First we installed all the wire clip to run the new harness and keep everything organise.

We start with the playfeild fuse and flipper.

After that we did the solenoids power daisy chains and the signal.

And to finish the first day of harness construction, we did half part of the switch matrix.

Everything we did is soldering and ready to go! We try to keep everything as close as possible like the schematics regarding color code.

A pretty good and contructive day!

image-73.jpgimage-73.jpg
image-545.jpgimage-545.jpg

#131 9 years ago

such a great job, this game is gonna look amazing.

#132 9 years ago

This is awesome

#133 9 years ago

Today I manage to run the power for the comtrolled lamp. This was the last part i was not sure how is done... There is two wire coming from the power supply and two circuit for that.

I have a stargazer playfeild on hand to copy and understand how the wiring harness is done. It's help me a lot, but it's still a big enterprise!

#134 9 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

I have a stargazer playfeild on hand to copy and understand how the wiring harness is done. It's help me a lot, but it's still a big enterprise!

You're right, it is a big undertaking. Wiring the return paths for all those lamps is going to be a lot of work! What's going on with the wires through the flipper bushings? New mod, perhaps?

#135 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

You're right, it is a big undertaking. Wiring the return paths for all those lamps is going to be a lot of work! What's going on with the wires through the flipper bushings? New mod, perhaps?

Just a nice place to put flipper wire before soldering! :-p

#136 9 years ago

Bravo

#138 9 years ago

Progress one wire at the time... GI is done!

image.jpgimage.jpg
#139 9 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

yep, I can verify that my SW has no rails

I have seen Seawitches with and without side rails. I think the ones built in Australia probably did not have but that is a guess.

#140 9 years ago

Switch matrix done! Next controlled lamp...

#141 9 years ago

Looks awesome!

#142 9 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

Switch matrix done! Next controlled lamp...

I'm curious, what amount of testing are you doing on the wiring "as you go" rather than when all wiring is completed?

#143 9 years ago

I will test everything in the game... I just test the GI with battery pack, but for the rest, i will test it in the game.

I'm pretty confident because i have a complete working stargazer playfield for reference. We check the continuity for each wire we did to be sure where it start and where it goes. After that, we did this wire on my strgazer. Look more complicated then it's seem, but it's pretty straight foreward.

#144 9 years ago

Controlled lamp almost done! Every wire are at his place. Just need to solder it, but i want to clean and tie-wrap everything before i solder to avoid to have too long wire...

image.jpgimage.jpg
#145 9 years ago

I have a friend of mine doing the cab for me, he is a lot better then me for this job...

Some progress pic...

image.jpgimage.jpg
#146 9 years ago

Yes! Now i have a complete harness! Next... Fun part... Top playfeild!

image.jpgimage.jpg image-957.jpgimage-957.jpg
#147 9 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

Yes! Now i have a complete harness! Next... Fun part... Top playfeild!

image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
image-957.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Incredible.
-mof

#149 9 years ago

Thing of beauty, man.....thing of beauty.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tempe, AZ
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 259 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-stargazer-crazy-project/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.