Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by pinster68
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Danny came home this weekend to attend a friend's wedding and had heard me talk so much about my new Creature that he wanted to make sure he got to play it.

Well, you never heard so much frustration in such a short period of time! It was hilarious. But he got focused, and after a number (and not a small one) of games, he starting to adjust to how precise shots need to be. At one point he stormed away muttering, went back to cover it and then tossed the cover aside and turned the game back on. After asking permission to get more aggressive with the nudging. He then got the hang of it somewhat and did well, getting a game together and rescued the girl. He said, "I cannot see how anyone can get high scores on this game." I had explained to him the strategy earlier and again and again. So I said to him let me play a game. We had played a few together, and he had asked to go solo to get a better feel for the game.

One of those father moments that will be repeated in story again and again. I demonstrated the strategy and had my best game ever setting a new GC score of 1.2+ B. He was amazed at the points that you can score on the jackpot and superjackpot. This led into a discussion of what features of the game were integral to accomplishing that task. It was fun reviewing how each feature seems only point focused but aside from one or two on the game, all had benefit for achieving or maximizing the jackpots, even if was score points to get the extra ball.

After this I told him about my thoughts to do a mod to the bumpers beyond just installing lights. We talked about how you enter the drive-in, get a paid ticket and still have friends in the trunk after entering the drive-in, thus the call out, "Hey, it's dark in here!" in the pop bumpers. I told him that I never understood why the original designers chose orange skirts and red caps for the bumpers. He paused thinking for a minute and said that at that point the focus is on the trunk of the car, and that brake lights are red and that some turn signals are amber.

He figured out after an hour with the game what I doubt I would have ever realized.

Dan

#2 12 years ago

Makes sense to me

#3 12 years ago

Do I hear(well read) some fatherly pride in there? Very nice. That's why my screen name is the pin family. It's not just me with the pin bug, it's my whole family. The wife and kids all play and enjoy helping me work on pins. It's nice when the boy puts his PS3 down and come to the basement and asks "dad, can I help you work on the pin?". At 14 there's not as many oppertunitys for bonding as there used to be. I know in 30 years he will cherish those moments. Plus it makes him use his brain. He may not realize it but he's learning a lot. The skills learned pinball repair apply to many other things. A switch is a switch no matter what contraption you put it in. Electronics and mechanics are the same in every device. Their just in a different order and for a different pourpose.

#4 12 years ago

I really like it when my 3 year old daughter comes into the room and asks "can I play with you?" what she means is that she stands on the stool leaning over the flippers and watches the ball.

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from dfmassi:

Makes sense to me

Now that I understand the coloring chosen, I am totally conflicted about the mod I wanted to do. May go back to the orange and red.

Quoted from the_pin_family:

Do I hear(well read) some fatherly pride in there? Very nice. That's why my screen name is the pin family. It's not just me with the pin bug, it's my whole family. The wife and kids all play and enjoy helping me work on pins. It's nice when the boy puts his PS3 down and come to the basement and asks "dad, can I help you work on the pin?". At 14 there's not as many oppertunitys for bonding as there used to be. I know in 30 years he will cherish those moments. Plus it makes him use his brain. He may not realize it but he's learning a lot. The skills learned pinball repair apply to many other things. A switch is a switch no matter what contraption you put it in. Electronics and mechanics are the same in every device. Their just in a different order and for a different pourpose.

Yes, for sure! He is partner in a high tech start up and is just so bright. I sometimes feel intimidated talking with him, but he never makes me feel that way. We share a lot of similar interests and tastes and can be totally transparent and vulnerable with each other.

It's great that your whole family enjoys pins. I wish my wife did, but that won't ever happen.
Thanks for letting your son help you out. My father was a tremendous talent with his hands. When he was fixing something, I would always try to get him to let me in and ask if I could help. His reply was usually that it was a one-man job. He wasn't mean about it. He would explain things but rarely let me do the task. But I would hang around and watch and learned so much by observation, and that has served me and my family and others well.

So you are right on judging by my experience. I really appreciate just how devoted you are to your family.

Quoted from donjagra:

I really like it when my 3 year old daughter comes into the room and asks "can I play with you?" what she means is that she stands on the stool leaning over the flippers and watches the ball.

You have no idea how special those times are to her now and how important they will be to her decision making when other young girls around her will be seeking their value in ways not in their own best interests.

I think we should start a sticky on "Our pins and our kids" to build a picture album.

#6 12 years ago

Wow 1.2B is a great score! Please tell me he's not 8! At the papa finals the winner had like 250M

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Wow 1.2B is a great score! Please tell me he's not 8! At the papa finals the winner had like 250M

No, he's 25. The high score was the game I had demonstrating to him my strategy of how to get to high scores. It was one of those slices of time when the planets were aligned and all went well.

I have found that having a level bowl to raise the multiplier effectively is the most important thing to getting the higher scores.

I doubt my game is set up like Papa. Factory settings with extra ball set for 396M and special award. Didn't get special awarded that game.

Posts between lanes are mid position and upper post and rubber at lower position. I would guess PAPA is set with the widest possible gap at the outlanes.

#8 12 years ago

congrats on getting your son involved. my daughters were already out of the house when i went back to pinball, and would love them to be more interested. My wife is only semi-interested and only because she sees the passion I have for the game, holding out hope my grandson will be my future playing partner. cftbl is very high on my list and will be added some day, thanks for your creech updates

#9 12 years ago

Good stories and perspectives guys.

My wife and 22yr old daughter love pinball, but they're not particularly interested in the technical or restoration side of things. I only got into the hobby about 4 years ago, so our daughter didn't get to grow up around pins. I do look forward to sharing my hobby with grandchildren some day. I also look forward to answering all those questions of a little developing mind, let them help me work on the pins, and watching their skills and understanding of the game mechanics develop. What child wouldn't love growing up around pinball...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-son-solves-creature-mystery-for-me and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.