(Topic ID: 197540)

My Son Plays High School Football...Am I A Monster?

By Chisox

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 111 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by MikeS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Boyintheplasticbubble (resized).jpg
    IMG_2604 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2605 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2603 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2372 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ronss.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#55 6 years ago

Are you a monster? Doesn't sound so, in fact, just the opposite. Of course, YOU saying "no" may lead to rebellion.

I keep asking when high schools will drop football, and I'm pretty certain it's going to be soon. Insurance will rise, due to documented risk, and with it programs will disappear.

It stinks he's been doing it for so long, and that he excels in the sport. That is the tough nut.

Good luck, I don't envy your situation. Often we hide the obvious truth due to confrontation or inconvenience.

#68 6 years ago

:popcorn:

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

My son's 6'3" 273lbs and has never been injured after 8 years. He loves his teammates, program, and the challenge every week. ALL sports have related injuries, it's just that football has been singled out in today's PC culture due to its "toxic masculinity"

I think it's more the fact that players were shooting themselves in the chest, but I could be wrong.

#86 6 years ago
    Quoted from foxct:

My son played from grade school through high school. He had a concussion in middle school (cheap ass helmets) and tore his ACL in high school Junior year. But he wanted to play his Senior year and rehabbed and started Senior year. Mind you, this is not Texas or some other super conference. Lots of small kids out there and not nearly as competitive as some programs. And the coaches were good guys. They cared about the kids more than their record.
    Anyway, I tried to dissuade him after the ACL but he refused. He loved being part of a team and fighting for his team. He loved his teammates and coaches. They were a family and I couldn't keep him from that.

That was part of my thought earlier as well. By high school it really becomes a joint decision making process. I think information is gold, and balanced reasoning priceless.

I also agree, some states are more "invested" in specific sports than others. It's easy to look in from the outside, but there is always someone looking in to our world and shaking their head too.

#102 6 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I agree with those that say if it is fun and he is doing well then keep it up. Driving is the most dangerous thing your son and most of us will be doing. I'd probably be more afraid of a stud football player knocking up the hot cheerleader than getting brain damage.

Er, except driving isn't usually a sport or leisure activity, but rather a convenience or necessity. It's a poor example, or excuse, in my eyes, but I do understand your point that much of what we do daily is inherently dangerous.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ronss.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-son-plays-high-school-footballam-i-a-monster?tu=ronss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.