(Topic ID: 197540)

My Son Plays High School Football...Am I A Monster?

By Chisox

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 111 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by MikeS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Boyintheplasticbubble (resized).jpg
    IMG_2604 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2605 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2603 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2372 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikes.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#108 2 years ago

As long as you are aware of the risks and football is something that brings you joy I don't see a problem with playing it. Life is filled with risks and dangerous things of which most are optional. Would you let your kid join the armed forces knowing the risks involved? How about ride a motorcycle or water ski? I've had numerous friends that have gotten concussions or injuries from bad falls on the water while wake boarding. I suffered a concussion and broken arm while skiing in 7th grade. I've been run over numerous times at home plate while playing catcher in softball and been beaned with the ball.-And that is without pads. I was struck by lightning once while tailgating for an outdoor concert. When I look back at all the sports and rec activities I've done over the years high school football was probably one of the safer things I participated in. I would be more concerned if my kid was a lazy ass and sat in front of a TV or computer all day and ate fast food all the time.- the shit we put in our bodies and lack of exercise will have more lasting effects than playing in sports.

I'd let my son play a dangerous sport like football or hockey before I'd let him drink a Monster energy drink or eat MacDonalds on a daily basis.

#111 2 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

If that was the actual choice, I would agree. It's not though.
    Anything can hurt you, true--lots of great examples of things that can hurt you listed in the thread--completely unrelated non-sequiturs . Full contact football is engineered to do it. That's the big difference.
    People don't like change. It's human nature. Science progresses which encourages change. I guess that's why people rage against science even when the effects are slapping them in the face, whether it be brain damage or more intense changes in the climate.
    You are not a monster but your kids is putting his well being later in life at risk. I wouldn't roll the dice on that. A crash on a motorcycle or skateboard or skiing or whatever is a freak accident and a risk. Getting smashed repeatedly with the bigger and stronger and heavier players these days creates a known outcome.
    Let's not kid ourselves about the good 'ol days or when I was a kid arguments...they are ridiculous. Not to mention the "manly" arguments. We all know you guys are tough and loaded with testosterone, no need to prove it with your kids brains.

I agree with the science behind brain injuries from contact sports and I agree with the science of climate change. I would prefer that my son choose a safer sport if given the option as I know there are some risks involved. I just know how much I enjoyed playing football in my youth and I wouldn't want to deprive him of the chance to play football if that is something he really wanted to do. I think I'd feel better about him playing football than wrestling. That was a sport when I was growing up that seemed unsafe. I remember my friends' starving themselves and taking effedrin to cut weight and suffering from dehydration. Plus you can get slammed on the mat pretty hard. I used to play hockey too and I think that may be worse than football as well just because the ice surface is so much harder than grass when you fall. Same with skiing. When you are learning to ski and snowboard you fall a lot and put a beating on your body. I really think wakeboarding may be the worst though because you basically fall on every run. And hitting the water at 15-20 mph feels worse than getting tackled in football and it's not always easy to control your fall. I guess it all comes down to where you draw the line on safety for your kids. You can stop them from doing everything but you are potentially taking away from some fun life experiences for them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 140.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 109.99
    $ 26.95
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 334.95
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    T-shirt- Grey Color Out of stock
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7.95
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 174.99
    $ 19.99
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 144.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Playfield - Plastics
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 214.99
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikes.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside