(Topic ID: 197540)

My Son Plays High School Football...Am I A Monster?

By Chisox

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 111 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by MikeS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Boyintheplasticbubble (resized).jpg
    IMG_2604 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2605 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2603 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2372 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider malenko.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 2 years ago

I agree with vicjw66 , you cant live your life covered in bubble wrap. You aren't a monster. You did your due diligence and read up on the reports and discussed it with your wife then came to your decision; that's called great parenting.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from modfather:

What happens if your boy gets a vicious tackle from some other player and gets an injury that could change the rest of his life ?

This is not a dig on you, but why I disagree with that viewpoint as a blanket statement.

You drive a car almost every day, what happens when you get hit by another driver and get an injury that could change the rest of your life? I know it can be a shitty negative outlook, but things like this happen all the time.

You mitigate the risk in driving by driving safely, wearing seat belts, airbags in cars, car crumple zones , etc.
    You mitigate the risk in football by playing safely, wearing proper safety gear, better helmets, proper tackling, etc

Football is safer today than it was 20 years ago but I'm not going to dispute that there is still risk. We deal with risk every day of our lives, and its up to the parents and kids to decide the risk vs reward for themselves in this instance. There is no "end all be all" solution for everyone. That being said I completely understand your point of view, the risk to you isnt worth it.

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Wow, big of you to admit there's "still a risk". What are you basing your "football is safer today" statement on? I'll give you an opportunity to answer before I go off on that.

"Go off on that" if there was ever a lead to a level headed rational conversation, that's it!

Football is safer because of rule changes; can't lead with the helmet, cant hit a defenseless receiver, no targeting,etc etc etc
    I'm hoping the NFL follows the NCAA lead in kicking players out of the game for that nonsense.
    Football is safer because of better coaching; teaching kids the correct way to tackle, better equipment

I said that there was still a risk to show that I'm not delusional enough to think they could ever fully remove the risks of football even if they got rid of the hits and replaced it with flags. You could get hit in the head with the ball, or trip and fall, etc

You obviously have a bias , and that's fine. I'm right in the middle and see the pros and cons ; guy asked for OPINIONS and I gave him mine. Some people are for it others aren't, I'm fine with both opinions. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind or tell them that their opinion is wrong. You CAN back up opinions with anecdotal evidence, its what they experienced to form their opinion.

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I have a brain.......

But you don't even know the difference between fact and opinion, so what's the point?

#107 2 years ago
    Quoted from elcolonel:

Yes, you are a monster, a cookie monster.

you win the thread.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Other
    Great American Pinball
    $ 15.00
    $ 179.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 135.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 24.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.00
    £ 80.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 9.95
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 115.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Great American Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider malenko.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside