(Topic ID: 197540)

My Son Plays High School Football...Am I A Monster?

By Chisox

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 111 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by MikeS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Boyintheplasticbubble (resized).jpg
    IMG_2604 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2605 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2603 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2372 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iamabearsfan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from timballs:

There's simply not enough research at this point on the risks of CTE from all levels of football play. In my opinion, the NFL should be forced to fund full, comprehensive research on this and its impact at ALL levels of the game. The amount of money they've saved from not needing to develop their own minor leagues/farm systems for the teams because of the high school programs and the NCAA is more than enough to fund the research needed on this health crisis.

This is pretty telling. NFL wasn't getting the "results" they wanted, so they pulled the cash from their "commitment" to find the truth.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/14417386/nfl-pulls-funding-boston-university-head-trauma-study-concerns-researcher

#16 6 years ago

My personal opinion is that the risks are not worth it. Both of my guys played football. One switched to hockey (has its own concussion issues though....but getting a lot better because of rule changes). The problem with football is the very emphasis on the game is around collisions. So very hard to modify the game so that it is safer. Kids are huge these days compared to when we played. They are also a lot faster. That is why it is hard to compare to when we played as kids.

Either way, you are not alone in questioning the game. Around our house, peewee football has dropped about 50%. Personally I think football will become a club sport in about five years in our area. The lawyers are going to win this one.

Let me make one thing clear. I love watching and playing football. It is a blast. So this is still a very tough subject to talk about. And no, you are not a monster for letting your kid play. At this point, nothing is certain....but there is change in the wind and I would keep a very close eye on the data. Here is a good article that summed up the state of concussions and football....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/leeigel/2017/08/07/studies-reveal-missing-links-about-cte-and-brains-of-nfl-players/#bb998594ec98

#103 6 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

My son's 6'3" 273lbs and has never been injured after 8 years. He loves his teammates, program, and the challenge every week. ALL sports have related injuries, it's just that football has been singled out in today's PC culture due to its "toxic masculinity"

Not sure I fully agree, but understand your point. All sports are getting targeted. Both of my guys play hockey and as well as ref hockey. Every year hockey has a new set of rule changes around mitigating concussions. Penalties for boarding are getting more severe too. A hit in the back is an automatic 10 minutes off of the ice. That has made a significant drop in concussions as well as other severe injuries. There are some in hockey that think it is getting too soft. They have made the sport safer. I think football is targeted more because of the numbers and probably because of the hitting component. The numbers are pretty darn high.....but so are sports like girls soccer.

https://consumer.healthday.com/cognitive-health-information-26/concussions-news-733/which-high-school-sport-has-the-most-concussions-720657.html

#104 6 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I agree with those that say if it is fun and he is doing well then keep it up. Driving is the most dangerous thing your son and most of us will be doing. I'd probably be more afraid of a stud football player knocking up the hot cheerleader than getting brain damage.

This analogy to driving is silly to me. One is optional and one you need to function in today's society. To me your well being is a sum of the risk you throw at it. Yes, we all have to drive to get around to things like work and school. But you don't have to play football to survive in a modern society.

Driving
    Walking on a side walk
    Going to the DMV (this is more of a mental risk)
    Going into a hospital that may have disease
    Riding in an airplane
    Riding in a train
    Going out on a boat

All of the above have risks, but most are done to accomplish basic goals in life. Most people have done these things (that are part of the modern culture).

But activities like football are very optional and are probably adding unwarranted risk to your overall well being.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iamabearsfan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-son-plays-high-school-footballam-i-a-monster?tu=iamabearsfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.