(Topic ID: 197540)

My Son Plays High School Football...Am I A Monster?

By Chisox

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 111 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by MikeS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Boyintheplasticbubble (resized).jpg
    IMG_2604 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2605 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2603 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2372 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chisox.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

So my son has been playing football since he was 6. He is now a freshman playing at a high school that currently has the #1 varsity team in the state. His freshman team is undefeated and my boy is a beast playing on both sides of the ball. My question, or dilemma, is am I a negligent parent for allowing my kid to play a dangerous game with possible life altering after effects? I am a strong believer in all of team sports life lessons and the discipline realized in the unbelievable comittment these boys put in, but is it worth it? I've read all the reports and studies and know the risks, as do my son and wife. We've decided to continue this year at least, and will re-evaluate after the season. Are we nuts? He plays Defensive End and Tight End.

#19 6 years ago

Thank you all for the thoughtful responses. I know this topic is far from being pinball related but I figured I'd get a nice variety of answers in this forum. It's shocking to see the sport dying like it is because of these concerns. My town used to have three teams in each division in their pee-wee program when my son started and it's down to one now.

#38 6 years ago

He's actually a really good baseball player too so I'm hoping he makes the HS team and sticks with that year round (I'm a baseball guy).

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

You should move to a better neighborhood.

Well we do live in the Chicago area where no one is safe from the flying bullets.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

as long as he enjoys it let him play. I am so tired of the world looking at the downside of everything. I played football myself and have friends that played all the way up through college with zero effects, mental or physical.

This is another good point. I know a LOT of guys who played football through college without any noticeable consequences. I understand it's difficult to argue with science, but I haven't run across anyone in real life (my life) that this has affected. Again, hoping the baseball bug takes over.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from Blacksun:

GO LWC Knights!!!!
    I live in Mokena...

Hah I had to downvote that one.

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

Those mean streets of Frankfort! He's not a left-handed pitcher is he? That decision would be easy.

Haha yeah nothing but gang bangers on these streets. It's not FF I'm worried about, it's driving on the expressways. Unbelievable how many people are being shot, at all times of the day and night. He's a pitcher but sadly a right hander.

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from Potatoloco:

Everyone has to do what they feel is best. My grandfather and father both played football at high levels D1 and professional. I wasn't allowed to play at all until I was 12, even then my father strongly discouraged it. Seeing what it did to both of them later in life, I won't allow my children to play football. Just not worth it imo.

Can you expain what it did to them later in life? Just curious.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chisox.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-son-plays-high-school-footballam-i-a-monster?tu=chisox and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.