(Topic ID: 197540)

My Son Plays High School Football...Am I A Monster?

By Chisox

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 111 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by MikeS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Boyintheplasticbubble (resized).jpg
    IMG_2604 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2605 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2603 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2372 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 6 years ago

I have girls, so haven't had to deal with this issue. My older daughter plays in the high school band, we're around football, and I don't judge the parents who let their kids play.

But would I let mine play? Hellllllll no. I'd be the bad guy who said "nope, you're not doing it, deal with it" no problem.

Pick a different sport. The science is irrefutable, the risks are huge, and there's not jack shit being done to actually minimize them, because the truth is you can't without radically changing the game, which no one is willing to do. Too much money involved, too many people who think they're invincible, who find it easy to ignore the problems because they're slow to manifest.

I dunno though, I see comments like this:

Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

If you son plays hard he will be fine, it's when you don't play hard that's when you get hurt.

and I don't mean to single anyone out, it's just an easy example, but that's nonsensical. Playing hard is exactly the problem. We're not talking about broken bones or fucked up knees here, we're talking about your brain. There's no fix for it. High school football is the number one source of sport concussions, look it up, this isn't something you can hand wave away with "oh, he's not in the NFL".

It's your kid, and it sounds like you're pretty aware of what's really going on, but there's living life to the fullest, and there's making smart choices to have a good life to live. My two cents, since you asked, I wouldn't presume to tell any parent something like this unprompted.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-son-plays-high-school-footballam-i-a-monster?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.