(Topic ID: 197540)

My Son Plays High School Football...Am I A Monster?

By Chisox

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 111 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by MikeS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Boyintheplasticbubble (resized).jpg
    IMG_2604 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2605 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2603 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2372 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheFamilyArcade.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#60 6 years ago

It's a tough decision, and I totally get all the different viewpoints. I've always loved football, and I would never otherwise give advice on this topic unless asked, and you did.

There is alot of anecdotal, passive defensive and hidden emotional advice in this thread. It's pure Pinside. A bunch of middle aged men who have "been there and done that" saying "go ahead! Strap it up, have fun! Back in my day.....blah blah blah". This issue is bigger than that...and as a society we are only on the precipice...huge changes are on the horizon, and for good reason.

Quoted from Yoski:

Each concussion raises your risk of Alzheimer, stroke and other neurological problems by around 10% per incident depending on severity. Those are the straight up facts. Is it worth it? That's a very personal decision everybody has to figure out for themselves.

Yup. And it's not just the blows to the head that are of big concern. It's the repeated violent snapping movemeant of the head and neck on high impact hits, which sends the brain slamming back and forth against the sides of the head like a pinball between two slingshots.

Quoted from Methos:

It isn't the concussions that do the permanent damage. It's the repeated strikes/blows to the head. I was a school board member for a few terms and we had many meetings on the issue.
    I would not allow my children to play football, but it's a personal choice.

See above. And it's everything with regard to brain damage. Concussions can and will do permanent damage. This is science people. Maybe not as conclusive as Climate Change science (that's for you Pinside) but pretty damn conclusive.

Quoted from Malenko:

I agree with vicjw66 , you cant live your life covered in bubble wrap. You aren't a monster. You did your due diligence and read up on the reports and discussed it with your wife then came to your decision; that's called great parenting.

I think the OP is worried and looking for a rationalization. He came to the right place. The OP is obviously a concerned father. Maybe you did enough due diligence and maybe you didn't OP. At this point, what's your gut tell you?

Quoted from Malenko:

Football is safer today than it was 20 years ago but I'm not going to dispute that there is still risk.

Wow, big of you to admit there's "still a risk". What are you basing your "football is safer today" statement on? I'll give you an opportunity to answer before I go off on that.

Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

we all die, let the kid have some fun before he does.

Is this the best you can do?

Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

There's a difference between living life in bubblewrap and soberly electing to not play football

I love this answer. Thank you.

Quoted from woody76:

as long as he enjoys it let him play. I am so tired of the world looking at the downside of everything. I played football myself and have friends that played all the way up through college with zero effects, mental or physical.

Because me and my friends are OK, what's the problem? The "downside" you refer to didn't exist until we had the evidence that there was a downside. Before that we were ignorant. And the evidence is unequivocal and heartbreaking. Taking the "downside" into account isn't being pessimistic, it's being informed. And making informed decisions shouldn't be criticized any way.

Quoted from Chisox:

This is another good point. I know a LOT of guys who played football through college without any noticeable consequences. I understand it's difficult to argue with science, but I haven't run across anyone in real life (my life) that this has affected. Again, hoping the baseball bug takes over.

Even if that's true it's anecdotal. Do you really know if they ever forget things? Or get confused? Absorb and retain information the way they used to? Would you - or they - even know how to measure one way or the other?

All that said, I still might let my son play HS football if he really wanted to. But I very well might not too. I have 2 years to decide, and I will be doing my due diligence.

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from Malenko:

"Go off on that" if there was ever a lead to a level headed rational conversation, that's it!
    Football is safer because of rule changes; can't lead with the helmet, cant hit a defenseless receiver, no targeting,etc etc etc
    I'm hoping the NFL follows the NCAA lead in kicking players out of the game for that nonsense.
    Football is safer because of better coaching; teaching kids the correct way to tackle, better equipment
    I said that there was still a risk to show that I'm not delusional enough to think they could ever fully remove the risks of football even if they got rid of the hits and replaced it with flags. You could get hit in the head with the ball, or trip and fall, etc
    You obviously have a bias , and that's fine. I'm right in the middle and see the pros and cons ; guy asked for OPINIONS and I gave him mine. Some people are for it others aren't, I'm fine with both opinions. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind or tell them that their opinion is wrong. You CAN back up opinions with anecdotal evidence, its what they experienced to form their opinion.

I have a bias? That's funny. There's unequivocal proof. I have a brain and can read and have heard experts ad nauseum discussing the scientific proof and evidence. But you don't even need that. Use your eyes. Watch the games, see the violence and count the injuries.

The examples you give are anecdotal, wishful, and really just grasping at straws to support your argument. Players are way bigger and way faster, hit way harder and are in better position to make the big hits because of the maturation of the sport and better coaching up and down the line.

And there is way more incentive to kick ass on and off the field than there EVER has been EVER in the sport, at every level. Players have always been in vulnerable positions on the football field, but in the past maybe they had a chance not to get creamed by someone that's targeting their their ass like white on rice. Not anymore. It's bang bang, your dead.

Turn on the radio, turn on the TV, read a newspaper or a magazine, google it, take your pick. Or just watch a freaking game. No one, anywhere, except you, in this thread, says that football is safer today than 20 years ago. Or 10 or 30 or 50 or ever.

That's all.

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from Miknan:

I'm in the medical imaging field and I can honestly say I don't image football players any more than athletes in other sports. Of course we're talking mostly joints injuries and not head trauma. I've had a lot of middle aged women who were once dancers with messed up feet than adult males with lasting football injuries. My daughter took a soccer ball straight to the face and was more hurt than I ever was playing football.

That's excellent for you. It sounds like you won't be the one(s) shooting themselves in the chest with a shotgun so science can still study their brain. Sounds like your gonna be just fine.

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from calprog:

No. I played football for years. At 54 I am still going. No issues. Feel great. My dad coached high school football for 40 years and we are a big football family. Just follow the concussion protocol and you should be ok.

And there you have it folks. Moderator, close the thread!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheFamilyArcade.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-son-plays-high-school-footballam-i-a-monster?tu=TheFamilyArcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.