AS Relay Cams-172.jpg
DSC01278.JPG
DSC01277.JPG
DSC01276.JPG
DSC01275.JPG
DSC01274.JPG
P1010475.JPG
P1010473.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 9 years ago

DSC01267.JPGDSC01267.JPGDSC01268.JPGDSC01268.JPGDSC01268.JPGDSC01268.JPG

#18 9 years ago

DSC01274.JPGDSC01274.JPGDSC01274.JPGDSC01274.JPGDSC01275.JPGDSC01275.JPG

#28 9 years ago

Are you sure that's the right stepper. part numbers do not match mine nor the one I found on net. It looks like someone grafted a match unit stepper in. there are two switches in the one you need. One to return to home and one to advance bonus.

#30 9 years ago

DSC01276.JPGDSC01276.JPGDSC01276.JPGDSC01276.JPG

#31 9 years ago

DSC01277.JPGDSC01277.JPGDSC01277.JPGDSC01277.JPGDSC01278.JPGDSC01278.JPG

#36 9 years ago

20 pulses to rotate cams. 2 hills on one cam, two valleys on other

#37 9 years ago

this is same stepper that is on my lawman.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

frb,
Can you advance your unit 5 more steps and show us another picture of the two black cams? I am wondering if there is a version with 1 hill and a version with 1 valley? The zero position would OPEN at the home or what we will call 0 position. The bonus advance would be open and then possibly close at position 9 (just like the carry over switch on a score reel).
In theory, a match unit with the two PCBs could use the second PCB just for the 9th position switch. But the PCB probably can't handle the current that the leaf switch could. But you would still need a single home position cam for the zeroing function to work.
The Zero function isn't completely necessary to make the game work. It would just leave the green circle light at the last place when the ball drains. Games like Bally Champ did this anyway where the next player could steel your "almost there" advances. I think Bow and Arrow was like this too. Shows a bit of extra thinking on the Engineers part at Gottlieb.

In order for there to be 1 hill and 1 valley the unit would have to be round. with 20 pulses the back arm of the swiper makes contact with the contacts on the 11 thru 20 pulse.

#40 9 years ago

Maybe a crafty op who had that unit on hand and needed to get machine earning.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

I am thinking the crafty op is the guy that stole the AS relay in the first place to fix a more valuable game way back when. Many a good Tech has completely given up on re-adjusting a troublesome AS relay and opted for pulling one from somewhere else (game in warehouse etc.). Unfortunately, the bad parts rarely finds its way back to the machine it was "barrowed" from (take for example all the container games that show up with complete assemblies missing from them, never to be found other than on other doner games.
Then, along came someone that bought the King Rock out of a warehouse and found the darn thing completely missing. And did what they could to repopulate it with another AS relay (possibly a match unit) from yet another game. Like I said, if there are actually only 2 wires soldered to the second wiper PCB, it was done to serve as the carry over (bonus) switch.
Did we check to see if the game's Match unit is still in the head?

Stuff like that only happens in movies

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-second-em-and-first-gottlieb-1972-king-rock?tu=frb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.