AS Relay Cams-172.jpg
DSC01278.JPG
DSC01277.JPG
DSC01276.JPG
DSC01275.JPG
DSC01274.JPG
P1010475.JPG
P1010473.JPG

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago

Yes, this is called the "advance unit". Both spinners perform the same. They score 10 points (thus the reason for the 10 on the spinner!) and advance the green lit ring one spot per turn. At the last light connected to the bonus ladder, the next spin should advance the bonus by 1.

Special / open gate operate off of the bonus position. They are adjustable under the playfield as to which bonus value will light special. The lights are not always lit even if it is on the correct bonus light since it also uses the position of the score motor (3 possible locations) to turn the special on or off.

#52 9 years ago

A little update. Spent a good part of the day testing everything minus the playfield. No surprise that players one and two needed adjustments while three and four worked fine out of the gate.

I received the cams and switches from Steve Young for the AS relay. Would you believe that I didn't have enough 5-40 x 1/2" screws to mount the stacks onto it? Lowes, of course didn't have any. I tried my local hardware store. Yea, a real old time style hardware store with nuts and bolts bins that go almost to the ceiling. What did the guy there tell me? "Don't have them. 5-40 is an unusual size." WTF? How many hundreds of thousands, if not millions of arcade games used that size for switch stacks? Unusual size, my ass. I ordered a pack of hundred for six bucks off ebay. Should be here in a day or two. The guy I got this game and Liberty Bell from gave me a box of used parts but I wasn't into hack sawing screws to make them shorter.

Replaced the coil stop on the reset bank mounted under the playfield. The old one had busted apart.

Now just waiting on some screws to finish the playfield and begin play testing.

After 220,000+ plays she ain't gonna be a beauty queen but she should be a good player. Also, see that Home Depot bucket to the left in the background. That's all from this game. Soooo dirty.

I'll have more pics when I'm done.

P1010494.JPGP1010494.JPG

#53 9 years ago

Actually, that's a pretty damn nice looking Playfield there. I have seen some really trashed ones out there. You did a nice job cleaning it up. KK/KR was a great earner out there, thus the 200K+ plays.

No way of knowing how many were home plays but if even half of them were coin op and it was a typical 30% payout for replays, that's: 100000*70%=70000 plays. At 2 for a Quarter, that's 35,000/2/4=$8750. A good return on a game that probaly ran about $795 brand new.

#54 9 years ago

Actually the worst damage was around the bumpers where the factory put those stupid non-adhesive mylar pieces which I cut off because they look horrible.

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Actually the worst damage was around the bumpers where the factory put those stupid non-adhesive mylar pieces which I cut off because they look horrible.

Don't blame the factory. Blame the operators that didn't attempt to remove the dirt under them and allowed it to get ground into the paint. Not exactly sure why Gottlieb didn't opt for the adhesive ones.

However those are solid colors. That's a pretty easy fix with a little mixing and painting using good old Testors Model paint (oil base enamels). Of course, you might have to buy yourself a set off Ebay if you can't find them in an old Toy or Hobby store (that's what I recently did as all mine were dried up. Total cost, around $14.00). Just depends on how much work you want to put into the game.

#56 9 years ago

IMG_1113 (Small).jpgIMG_1113 (Small).jpg

Yeah, that playfield of yours looks pretty decent. Mine was worn pretty bad, but as I was just making a good player out of it, I cleaned it up & cleared it with about 6 coats of varathane spray. It really turned out nicer than I thought it would. The wear just adds patina...... well, that & I was too lazy to spend the time touching it up.

#57 9 years ago

I do have some Testors but nothing that would match well enough. I have a bunch of cheap acrylic paints and tried some combinations out (before waxing) on the turquoise blue but I'm not good enough to get it to blend in to my liking. If it isn't going to look almost exact, I'm not going to do it. Nice thing about acrylic though is you can just wipe it off with a damp paper towel like nothing happened. Nonetheless, I did fix some of the pop bumper art that was gone. I've probably put about 50 hours in and that's enough. Once I get the screws I need to finish up the AS relay, I'll run it through a bunch of play tests and it will be for sale. I don't have a lot of room in the house for pins (basically two or three and Firepower is taking one of those spots) and I've got three others in the garage to repair. Honestly, I do enjoy repairing them the best. I don't have the income to afford the new stuff and haven't bought a truly "working" pin since my first one.

They're very few pins I've played that I never get tired of. Firepower is one of them, Centaur is another (gotta get one of them, dammit). I'm still looking for an EM that I can feel the same way about. Maybe that Top Card that's sitting in my garage is it. I don't know. Never played one. Yea, I bought it without ever playing one. Why? Well, the $350.00 price and the fact that I didn't have to drive more that an hour or so was a motivator. Also, I watched every video of this game that youtube had to offer. I've played enough to tell from a video if I'll fancy a particular pin.

I guess it's good that I want "dead" pins. When you can find them, they're significantly cheaper and I don't want to pay for somebody else's work. Hell, I didn't even want this game (the King Rock). I was happy with getting the Liberty Bell as payment for fixing this dude's Aztec. But the guy was really happy with the job I did and, along with a little work my dad did on his lawn mower, he wanted to give this one too. I still spent a ton of time because...who the f*ck else was going to do it around here? That thing was going to sit in his barn for another twenty years until he was dead...along with that Gottlieb Super Soccer that he's going to fix...someday.

I'm happy to bring something mechanical back from the dead. It's like a self congratulatory accomplishment. I get more satisfaction out of it than I do my job. Too bad I can't make the same money though. Although, if it was my job to fix pinball machines, would I take so much pleasure in it? I doubt it.

Anyway. What was this about again? Oh, yea. Touching up the pop bumper paint. Nah. I put a fair amount of Novus and wax around them to keep the area protected for a better artist to try their hand at in the future.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

. Touching up the pop bumper paint. Nah. I put a fair amount of Novus and wax around them to keep the area protected for a better artist to try their hand at in the future.

Once you put the clear mylar (non-adhesive) under the pop bumpers you can't really tell it's worn much unless you are lookng for it.

#59 9 years ago

Play testimg has been going ok with some minor issues like light sockets needing extra attention.

I'm having an issue with the game getting into "game over". After the last ball is drained and the outhole switch activates, bonus is accumilated as normal but the game will not end and the score motor keeps running. I found that the game over relay on the reset bank is not firing. Manually firing this gets the game to end.

Testing with my meter, I getting 3.7 or so ohms at the other coils in this bank but only 0.2 at the game over coil. I'm also getting a low reading at the 1st ball one as well. I'm assuming this is my issue as this coil is getting pulsed but not firing due to being dead. The coil doesn't look burnt but it's hard to tell in the assembly anyway. Why did Gottlieb use black coil wrappers?

These are A-1118 coils and are available at pbresource.

Just looking for a little confirmation as to if you guys think this is my issue as well. Thanks.

#60 9 years ago

In addition to the outhole switch (on the 'O' relay), there will likely need to be a switch closed on the Last Ball relay (XB) and a score motor switch to close. I don't have a King Rock schematic, so can't say which score motor switch it is. Without all three of those switches closing, the game over relay (QB) won't activate.

But if you manually activate the QB relay and it locks-on (i.e. holds the armature plate in), then the coil is good.

You can also test the coil itself by jumpering to another A-1118 coil nearby that is working (like the Last Ball relay).

#61 9 years ago

One thing I noticed if any of the other plates are in then the first ball and game over coils will test fine. However, with all the switches in their reset position then these coils test as bad, 0.2 ohms. This is with the game off. I assume they're bridging and testing fine this way.

I'll have more time to look at this tomorrow.

#62 9 years ago

Looks like the issue was the reset bar on the reset bank. Needed to have a little more slack. Wasn't allowing the game over relay to make proper contact to drop the plate after the last ball drains. Strange how this bar was an issue with this game as well as my father's Four Seasons. But, for two different reasons. It's a bit of a little prick if you know what I mean. The adjustments and observations of switch movements in the "service" position may not be the same as in the "operation" position if that bar is not positioned correctly.

I want to put the game through some more play testing before selling she seems to be running well. One question though. Is it normal for the outhole kicker to fire twice during the startup sequence? Meaning, you press start, game begins reset sequence, during this sequence the outhole kicker fires the ball into the shooter lane and, upon completion of the sequence, it fires the outhole kicker once more. Doesn't affect anything. Just odd.

Nonetheless, I want to thank everyone for their help especially those who emailed me or posted photos of their under playfield AS relay. They were a great help for me to rebuild the unit I had. Donation made to Pinside in your honor.

#63 9 years ago

Pics or it didn't happen.

King Rock for Pinside.jpgKing Rock for Pinside.jpg
King Rock Pop Bumper Close Up for Pinside.jpgKing Rock Pop Bumper Close Up for Pinside.jpg

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Is it normal for the outhole kicker to fire twice during the startup sequence?

I don't believe so. Might check the outhole switch gap to make sure it's not too close and getting a phantom bounce.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

I don't believe so. Might check the outhole switch gap to make sure it's not too close and getting a phantom bounce.

The more I think about it, it may be from vibration when the reset bank coil fires at the completion of the sequence. I'll have to look tomorrow to see if I have that switch gapped too close. Anything on the reset bank that would fire the outhole kicker?

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Anything on the reset bank that would fire the outhole kicker?

I don't think so (I don't have a King Rock schematic, but can't recall anything on a control bank that would fire the outhole).

#67 9 years ago

After checking out the schematic and tracing some wires I've determined that this is normal operation for this game. When the ball trough rollover is closed it triggers the P relay which then triggers the O relay. Why is the O (outhole) being triggered at this point, you say? Because the KING relay bank which is mounted under the playfield must be reset and its reset switch is mounted on the O relay switch stack. In this process the outhole coil is fired a second time.

1 week later
#68 9 years ago

Well the game is sold and was picked up today. Went for $500.00 on ebay and the new owner drove from Michigan to PA to get it. He told me he played it in college and had a lot of fond memories of the game. He looked really happy when he saw it which made me happy that it was going to someone who had a lot of nostalgia for the pin.

Now onto something else. Started a little on the Liberty Bell but dad says I need to take home the Genco Hits and Runs. We'll see.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 350.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinshakers
Other
$ 110.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy
Other
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-second-em-and-first-gottlieb-1972-king-rock/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.