(Topic ID: 52461)

My saga of blacklight gameroom carpet ordering/delivery... :(

By LesManley

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

016.JPG
    IMAG1274.jpg
    IMAG1272.jpg
    IMAG1271.jpg
    IMAG0661.jpg
    carpet3.jpg
    carpet2.jpg
    carpet1.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

The saga of actually getting the blacklight carpet I ordered for the new gameroom is really gaining a life of it's own.

Sherman, set the way back machine to 3 months ago. I begin the saga of trying to order blacklight carpet for the gameroom. Really there are only two companies that sell it, Astro Carpet and Flagship Carpet, both out of Georgia. Flagship Carpet actually makes and sells it. I reach out to Flagship...many...many...times. Communication from Flagship Carpets was next to non-existent. Not one message returned and I had to repeatedly call until I got someone live to actually spend money with them. If there were other options, I would have went somewhere else but Astro Mills didn't have the pattern and colors I based the gameroom on, so I was stuck. Anyway, I finally place the order and pay the deposit on April 8th. Fast forward a few weeks, carpet is ready for shipping. Great. I then paid the balance. They said they would call me and let me know when it was to be delivered as they told me I had to have it shipped to a business since they didn't deliver to residential addresses...something I now know is not true.

10 more days go by and no carpet. I call Flagship and ask where it is, the response, "We couldn't get ahold of you, they tried to deliver it already." Nice. Turns out they had my phone number wrong...not sure how, but they did. They had my correct e-mail address and could have contacted me that way, but of course they didn't it. So it has just been sitting at the shipper's warehouse. Good thing *I* followed up on it. Fine, whatever. I reschedule delivery for the following week and get off work. I actually get a call from the driver this time 30 minutes before delivery. Very nice guy. He asks where the loading dock is. I tell him the business doesn't have one, it is in a strip mall. He says he doesn't know how we can move it then since he says it weighs 960lbs and is 16 ft long and he doesn't have a lift gate and it isn't on a pallet. Awesome! He says he will take it back to the warehouse and I can come get it or we can reschedule with a lift gate...which I have to do through Flagship Carpet as they paid the shipping costs and billed me so they have to make changes and it will cost more of course too. I finally get in touch with Flagship again and the woman says the carpet doesn't weigh 960lbs. She says she will call the shipper right away and get it straightened out. Next day, the shipper calls me and asks if I still want the carpet as they were going to return it to Flagship...yep...Flagship never called them like she said they would. Big surprise. I told them I still wanted it and scheduled yet another delivery after it was verified that my carpet only weighed 284 lbs.

Fast forward to today. Carpet is to be delivered so I get out of work...again. Driver calls me and says he will be there in 30 minutes, he has one more delivery to make before mine. Great...except that he says, "You are probably going to want to refuse shipment as the carpet is ripped." What the %*#&@! Turns out the other delivery he had was at the mall where I was eating lunch, so I told him I would meet him out back and look at it. Sure enough...it's ripped bad. Even better...THE CARPET ISN'T EVEN MINE!!! Totally different pattern and length...which is why the shipper and carpet company had different measurements apparently. It is 960lbs and 16ft in length. Unreal. I call Flagship again...leave message. No return call. Call them again and the woman answers. I tell her the situation and she apologizes and says she will take care of it. Hmm...why do I doubt that? What a drag. Everything is out of the basement and everything is waiting on the carpet to be delivered and installed...like it has been for weeks now. Can't wait to see how/if this gets resolved.

Here are the pics so you all can share in my misery. The last picture is what I was supposed to get...

carpet1.jpgcarpet1.jpg carpet2.jpgcarpet2.jpg carpet3.jpgcarpet3.jpg IMAG0661.jpgIMAG0661.jpg

#2 10 years ago

One bright spot, wherever it may be, at least your carpet isn't ripped.....

#3 10 years ago

That sucks

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

One bright spot, wherever it may be, at least your carpet isn't ripped.....

I know...that is the only thing positive I could think of. I'm sure that 6+ weeks going from truck to warehouse multiple times isn't doing it any good though. If they found it and it was actually still in good condition, that would be the only saving grace.

#5 10 years ago

Don't feel bad. Almost same thing happened to me.

Driver shows up with no liftgate or pallet jack. Says it's too heavy to move.

I climb in the truck, and can barely move it myself, so it can't be too heavy for 2 people.

We push it out on to my driveway as he would not back up to my garages.

I call the installers and they installed it that evening.

#6 10 years ago

At least you can get blacklight carpet. My wife told me NOOO WAY! I wanted to get some egg chairs as well, NOOO WAY. Looks like I have to go conventional.

#7 10 years ago

When I turned my garage into a gameroom I wanted that carpet bad but it was to expensive. I painted my floor with a black oil based paint then took fluorescent paint ant threw it all over the floor. Now I can just sweep the floor and if I scuff it I can throw some fluorescent paint over it and it looks good again.

Good luck

#8 10 years ago

I had a local carpet place (they were going to be my installers anyways) order my flagship carpet for me. they had it delivered to them, didn't charge me any extra, and actually got a little bit better deal than I did through flagship directly.

I didn't have to worry about anything other than having the door unlocked for the installers and moving out 14 pins, a Daytona Twin, a soda machine, and a handful of other unecessarily heavy things...

#9 10 years ago

When your blacklight does come in though, it will be like Christmas.... I absoutely love my blacklight carpeting and always get comments about it when people come over...

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

At least you can get blacklight carpet. My wife told me NOOO WAY! I wanted to get some egg chairs as well, NOOO WAY. Looks like I have to go conventional.

Don't think I didn't hear it from her. Even better, with issue after issue I still get "I told you so, you never should have ordered it in the first place" and "Why don't you just cancel the order, it obviously wasn't meant to be..." Neither of which are of much consolation to me at this point.

#11 10 years ago

That really sucks. Someone somewhere else probably got your carpet and went "WTF, where is mine?"

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Don't think I didn't hear it from her. Even better, with issue after issue I still get "I told you so, you never should have ordered it in the first place" and "Why don't you just cancel the order, it obviously wasn't meant to be..." Neither of which are of much consolation to me at this point

Just tell her "the only way this blacklight carpet is leaving is if your body is rolled up in it".

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

That really sucks. Someone somewhere else probably got your carpet and went "WTF, where is mine?"

Can you imagine a non arcade person looking at blacklight carpet and wondering "Who has THAT kind of taste?".

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Just tell her "the only way this blacklight carpet is leaving is if your body is rolled up in it".

Better yet, just roll her up in the old stuff.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Can you imagine a non arcade person looking at blacklight carpet and wondering "Who has THAT kind of taste?".

The installers that did mine actually took their time and really lined everything up damn near perfect. They were actually excited to install it, as they never get the opportunity to do something different other than the standard carpets. They were a little puzzled though as they pulled up to a house and not a roller skating ring though...They were taking pictures of the basement when they were done to show friends....It was kind of funny and cool at the same time...

#16 10 years ago

+1 Wolfmarsh's comment. I can't thumbsup or quote on this archaic browser.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

The installers that did mine actually took their time and really lined everything up damn near perfect. They were actually excited to install it, as they never get the opportunity to do something different other than the standard carpets. They were a little puzzled though as they pulled up to a house and not a roller skating ring though...They were taking pictures of the basement when they were done to show friends....It was kind of funny and cool at the same time...

I see you are in WI. Was that a local mom and pop carpet shop or a chain that may be available in MN?

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

I see you are in WI. Was that a local mom and pop carpet shop or a chain that may be available in MN?

Local mom and pop... For stuff like carpet installs and larger residential projects, I typically try to stay with locals (they don't seem to rush a job as much). I did have to contact a couple of local mom and pops to see if they would purchase the carpet, because a lot of local stores will not do installs only. I explained to them what I wanted, told them where I was getting it and for how much, and they came back to me with the same carpet, and a lower price for the carpet (about 300 less). I have 800-ish sq ft. of it installed with a thin padding (I have radiant flooring) and the total for the carpet and padding/installed was right around $2300....

#19 10 years ago

Wow, this company is quite a piece of work. After calling twice on Friday, because my original call didn't get returned as usual, I was told to send pictures of the damage and the tag right away so they could get working on it. Didn't hear any update Friday, nothing Monday so far, so I figured I would *again* contact them to see what is happening. I sent an e-mail asking for a status update. She replies and has the balls to tell me she never got the pics on Friday and hasn't done anything cause she can't do anything without them. Funny how the status e-mail I just sent got through just fine. BS. They have a real problem with communication. First it was the phone and now e-mail...the only thing they have been decent at...suddenly isn't working. I went back and checked, it of course was sent at 1:17 on Friday and best yet, it was sent as a response to an e-mail FROM THEM asking for MORE MONEY because of a redelivery charge because of THEIR MISTAKE...so I know the e-mail is right. I'm about ready to cancel the order, dispute the charges on my card, save myself a ton of money and buy regular carpet locally. This is absolutely ridiculous.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

They were a little puzzled though as they pulled up to a house and not a roller skating ring though...

Hell, I got weird looks from the carpeting guys, and mine is just a simple brown commercial carpet. Why would I want that in a house?

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

This is the funniest f*ing comment I have ever read on Pinside!!

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

I'm about ready to cancel the order, dispute the charges on my card, save myself a ton of money and buy regular carpet locally.

This is what I would do...your credit card company will be on your side. And as soon as your CC company contacts them, see how fast their attitude changes!

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

I'm about ready to cancel the order, dispute the charges on my card,

Call credit card company. Have them cancel it and remove ALL charges.

This situation won't get any better. Only worse.

LTG : )

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Better yet, just roll her up in the old stuff.

Bravo! My exact thoughts!

Doc

#25 10 years ago

Wow, what a nightmare... I got mine through carpetbargains.com. I was expecting shipping hassles, but they were awesome. I told them what I wanted, they called me back an hour later with freight charges, then had the delivery company call me to arrange the drop-off.

When I told the shipper I was in a residential neighborhood, they said "no problem, we'll send it in a box truck". They gave me a day and the guy was there at 8 am. The carpetbargains web page looks like it was created in 1996 and never updated since, but they were awesome to deal with.

The downside is that they have a somewhat limited selection, I went with Fiesta.

#26 10 years ago

Bunch of carpetbaggers.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Call credit card company. Have them cancel it and remove ALL charges.
    This situation won't get any better. Only worse.

Yup, I don't deal with clown acts and your CC company will give you back every dime.
    They don't have their shit together so find a company that does.
    Once charges are reversed then they will call and want to jerk you around again with empty promises.
    Tell them they had their shot and you are not wasting any more time on their incompetence.

#28 10 years ago

I got mine from astro and im in canada had no problems getting it here and shipper used a box truck getting int9 ky neighbourhood. Installer had it laid out on my driveway my neighbours thought I was crazy but the guy lined up the patterns perfectly

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Yes, I live in St Paul too and would be interested as well. I would only be needing about 160 sq ft

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yes, I live in St Paul too and would be interested as well. I would only be needing about 160 sq ft

The minimum order on blacklight carpet is about 565 sq ft, so you would have to go in on it with someone. My carpet is being delivered...again...tomorrow. Saying my prayers tonight that is actually my carpet and it is not damaged cause I found a guy in the next town over who is installing it early next week!

#31 10 years ago

All this makes me glad I'm going with the classic black & white checkerboard tiles.

#32 10 years ago

the pattern at the bottom is what you were suppose to get? I like the black light stuff your showing. Still like Bryan Kellys carpet.

#33 10 years ago

Right, the blue, black grey combo pattern. I liked that color scheme and I promised the wife I wouldn't go overboard with a bunch of bright neon pinks, greens and yellows since it is going to be in the whole basement area. I matched the blue and grey on the walls to it, so it should look pretty slick.

#34 10 years ago

Must be my lucky day! The carpet showed up, wasn't damaged AND was actually my carpet! The trifecta! Gameroom, after months in slumber is now full steam ahead!

IMAG1271.jpgIMAG1271.jpg IMAG1272.jpgIMAG1272.jpg IMAG1274.jpgIMAG1274.jpg

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

The minimum order on blacklight carpet is about 565 sq ft, so you would have to go in on it with someone. My carpet is being delivered...again...tomorrow. Saying my prayers tonight that is actually my carpet and it is not damaged cause I found a guy in the next town over who is installing it early next week!

Bummer, do they sell remnants? Not very many people want BL carpet so not much chance of going in with someone.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Bummer, do they sell remnants? Not very many people want BL carpet so not much chance of going in with someone.

Some of the carpet manufacturers will sell you a finished "rug" at various sizes. They basically just seam all the edges and sell it as a rug. If you didn't need that much, you may go this route and then cut it into size. It costs a lot more than rolls, but if you only need a little, it may not be that big of a deal.

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

They probably sell remnants, but I am not sure. I would reach out to them to find out, but be prepared to be persistent unless you manage to get someone live on the phone.

Funny story, when this whole carpet thing went south, I contacted a local carpet company about having them order the carpet from Flagship Carpet and then do the install. She said she would contact them and find out how much it would cost. I got a voicemail from that company yesterday saying that they were sorry they hadn't gotten back to me sooner and weren't ignoring me...but they still hadn't heard back from Flagship... Sounds about right. That company must have huge corporate accounts because the sales rep woman they have working for them is the absolute worst sales person I have ever dealt with. I've never tried so hard to give a company money before that seemed completely disinterested in taking my money.

#39 10 years ago

Look forward to some pics after it's installed.

#40 10 years ago

FWIW, I went through Value Carpet Online. Although the shipping charge was a bit high, you can order any amount you want. It's drop shipped out of GA like a lot of others. (Joy Carpet). There was a problem with my order in that I received the wrong pattern but the company (the guy) took it back no problem and made it right. He was also easy to get a hold of.

I was advised by the local carpet distributor where I picked it up, next time just call the carpet company and have it shipped through them. Apparently shipping a room size roll of carpet is about $32. I paid about a $100.

I went with Space Voyage and it looked great. Sad to say, we just moved so no more arcade for me.

016.JPG016.JPG

#41 10 years ago

I like my wood floors.

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Don't think I didn't hear it from her. Even better, with issue after issue I still get "I told you so, you never should have ordered it in the first place" and "Why don't you just cancel the order, it obviously wasn't meant to be..." Neither of which are of much consolation to me at this point.

"It wasn't meant to be." Every time my wife or someone says that I take it as "I'm now going to go even bigger"

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

"It wasn't meant to be." Every time my wife or someone says that I take it as "I'm now going to go even bigger"

Nothing like a good challenge to make a person rise to the occasion !

#44 10 years ago

I've been doing some checking and what I've found is that Capricarpet.com has the design I want (Under the Sea) and the price for a 12x18 is about $580+shipping. Would I be able to save some $$$ by going to a local carpet company, say Carpet King, show them what I want, they buy it and have it shipped to them then I pay them and PU? Think that would work?

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Would I be able to save some $$$ by going to a local carpet company, say Carpet King, show them what I want, they buy it and have it shipped to them then I pay them and PU? Think that would work?

Save money ? If you got a local company to do it, they'd want a cut too.

#46 10 years ago

That is a nightmare story. Glad it worked out. We also had our black light carpet shipped from atl. My wife had it shipped to her work and saved $100 on shipping. All said and done we had about $1800 in to it.

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Save money ? If you got a local company to do it, they'd want a cut too.

Yeah that's what I thought.

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from mario_1_up:

That is a nightmare story. Glad it worked out. We also had our black light carpet shipped from atl. My wife had it shipped to her work and saved $100 on shipping. All said and done we had about $1800 in to it.

Now that sounds like a plan, I know all kinds of people with business.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-saga-of-blacklight-carpet-orderingdeliveryfrom-high-to-low and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.