(Topic ID: 24592)

My RFM PF 'rejuvenation' (touchups and clearcoating)

By Whysnow

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Whysnow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Alien_Arrow.JPG
P8091946.JPG
P7241945.JPG
Alien_Arrow.JPG
Scoop.JPG
Shooterlane.JPG
Green_Beams.JPG
Saucer.JPG
P7241945.JPG
P7241944.JPG
P7241941.JPG
P7241940.JPG
P7241939.JPG
#1 11 years ago

I bought a routed RFM that needed a full overhaul a few months ago and have slowly dug into a full rejuvenation. *calling it a rejuvenation as I know some people think clearcoating a PF ruins it and does not restore it.

At any rate, I bought the game and then decided the PF had so many blown inserts and I was a bit scared at the idea of depopulating a PF and then waiting 3 to 6 months before repopulating that I was best off finding a second PF and working on that. Thus, I would be able to do a PF swap instead of a full teardown (wait 3-6 months was the scary part to me as I would surely forget some important things).

I ended up finding a less blown out PF from a local collector for a reasonable price and dove in head first to doing the touch-ups myself using Liquitex Basics Acrylic paints. With patience and lots of trial and error I think I did a reasonable job of touch-ups.

I then finished prepping the PF and took it down to ssbodyman's shop in IL to have him 2 part clearcoat it. Steve is a really nice guy and he owns a autobody shop. He has also sprayed quite a few PFs (both his and his brother's; Doot77 is his bro) that I was able to check out.

What follows are the before and after pics of the key touchup areas. Overall I am very happy with how this has turned out. I am also VERY happy with the price/quality of Steve's clearcoating and plan to take a few more PFs to him when the time comes. If you live in the region, have realistic expectations, and can convince Steve to do a PF for you I would highly recommend him.

#2 11 years ago

before pics

P7241939.JPGP7241939.JPG P7241940.JPGP7241940.JPG P7241941.JPGP7241941.JPG P7241944.JPGP7241944.JPG P7241945.JPGP7241945.JPG

#3 11 years ago

after pics

Saucer.JPGSaucer.JPG Green_Beams.JPGGreen_Beams.JPG Shooterlane.JPGShooterlane.JPG Scoop.JPGScoop.JPG Alien_Arrow.JPGAlien_Arrow.JPG

#4 11 years ago

Really good work! Congrats. I have to say, I really like my EM game but the whole theme of this game makes me want one badly. Its just a super cool looking game and looks like you did it justice on the touchups. I love my clear coat- doubt you will ever look back with anything but happiness at having it done.

#5 11 years ago

thanks, the hardest part will be now waiting for the clearcoat to sit for a while before doing the PF swap!

#6 11 years ago

Wow I never would have thought that pf was that bad before you touched it up you really did a great job with them. Glad your happy with the clear job I cant wait to see it all back together.

#7 11 years ago

Top Notch! I think Hilton is going to be regarded as the RFM Rejuvenator very soon!

#8 11 years ago

Very nice job.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

thanks, the hardest part will be now waiting for the clearcoat to sit for a while before doing the PF swap!

That IS the worst part!!

#10 11 years ago

The clearcoat is really amazing how it ties everything together. I was really worried that the dullness of the acrylic paints and and diviting in the PF would be noticeable post clear, but nope.

Here are 3 pics showing the damage and repair from a ramp flap:
1. Pre touch-up
2. After touch-up but pre-clear
3. After Clearcoating

The touch-ups are really apparent due to the matte/dull finish of the paint and the groove of the flap but as soon as it gets the clear it really pops.

P7241945.JPGP7241945.JPG P8091946.JPGP8091946.JPG Alien_Arrow.JPGAlien_Arrow.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 85.00
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-rfm-pf-rejuvenation-touchups-and-clearcoating and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.