image2_(resized).JPG
image1-2_(resized).JPG
Screenshot_2016-05-25-13-13-50~01_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
TheDude_(resized).png
IMG_5115_zps7c333078_(resized).jpg
12729326_1128138983871363_2590656031592511560_n_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider russell.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

For perspective, I owned, loved and regret ever selling WOZ. I was in on The Hobbit, but got out because of the Elaut scandal and rumors about financial troubles at JJP. I count myself as a JJP fan, and I am a huge fan of Keith Johnson's coding. I'm really glad that JJP appears to have stabilized and is now shipping The Hobbit.

I have played The Hobbit 3 times now. Once, early in the code at Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown '15, once recently at the 2Up, and today at Arcade Amusements in Manitou Springs, CO.

It is a beautiful game. It is just gorgeous, perhaps the best looking game since WOZ. Definitely among the top 10 prettiest games of all time. If they had done direct printing cabinets like early WOZs, it might take the #1 spot on looks alone.

However...the playfield is laughably empty. The ball floats around the playfield like I'm playing an 80s Bally or something. I wonder if they did this intentionally as a response to the difficult maintenance of WOZ. If the ball is really slow and there's nothing to hit, nothing can break, right?

Can this shell of a game be salvaged by Keith Johnson? If so, this will (further) solidify his reputation as the GOAT programmer.

#4 7 years ago

The one at the 2Up was having some problems with the Trolls also. Is this a software or hardware problem? I haven't been following the million-post Hobbit thread...zzzzzz....

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Sorry you lost me at I played the game 3 times......

I played once at the RMPS. I played a bunch of times at the 2up. Maybe 10? I played once in Manitou. The second game today, I got a ball stuck and the manager didn't have the keys. Put the game out of order. So, I guess 12 games total. Not near enough, but certainly enough to express my initial impressions.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

This has been fixed or improved with the new code. Make sure you play one with the latest code updates. JJP has fixed a lot of the complaints.

Unfortunately, though Arcade Amusements (Manitou Penny Arcade) has been great about getting the newest games lately, they're terrible at updating the code. I may be playing with rudimentary early code. Oh well, I can always count on the 2up having the latest code. Will try to get up to Denver again soon.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Yet you continue to want to play it?

And again, you continue to want to play it?

And.... again, you wanted to play it more? Seems like such a "laughably empty playfield" wouldn't make you want to keep playing it.

I'm definitely still interested in seeing how the code develops. (As you might have surmised from my initial post.)

#26 7 years ago

I'm surprised that my comments were controversial. It seems that the fan-boys and the haters are both out in force.

I'm in neither camp. At the moment, it's not that great. I hope it turns out to be a good game, and I think Keith gives it a chance to be something special.

#62 7 years ago

In my original post, I laid out my perspective, so everyone could look for any potential bias in my review. It would be very interesting if everyone who has posted here did the same.

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

How is maintenance on WOZ difficult?

I had more issues with WOZ than any other game I've had. Once the light board thing was worked out, it wasn't quite as bad, but was still quirky. I think the operators really struggle to keep them working well on location, too.

#134 7 years ago

I agree that this pin is so different from everything else that it could add variety to a collection. Good point.

#166 7 years ago

I don't think the defensiveness phenomenon is unique to JJP fanboys. I guess we'll find out soon, when I post my review of Ghostbusters.

#197 7 years ago

Within reason, shot count is not a very important determinant of how fun a game is, so the counting method is irrelevant.

#287 7 years ago

I don't think the ball literally rolls slower down the playfield. Same angle = same speed. However, I think the wide format and open playfield design leads to more time for the ball to return to the flipper. So perhaps it's slower in that sense...shot to next shot. Just a theory.

1 week later
#373 7 years ago

I put another $10 into Hobbit last night. I'm trying so hard to enjoy this game...and failing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 25.50
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider russell.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-review-the-hobbit-is-the-ultimate-test-for-kef?tu=russell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.