image2_(resized).JPG
image1-2_(resized).JPG
Screenshot_2016-05-25-13-13-50~01_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
TheDude_(resized).png
IMG_5115_zps7c333078_(resized).jpg
12729326_1128138983871363_2590656031592511560_n_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iamabearsfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#52 7 years ago

So someone comes on here and does THEIR initial view of TH. Guy played it a dozen times and placed HIS opinion. That is what boards are for. He pointed out the good and the bad of the game from HIS perspective. I don't think he did it in a way to offend anyone.

With that said, I tend to agree that the playfield is a little more open than I PERSONALLY would care for. Code can and has changed a lot. Especially with JJP games. There is a ton of stuff going on under that machine that could make it an awesome title. So give the coding a chance to mature. Being a WoZ owner, I can say that the code has just gotten better and better.

I would also agree that TH is really one of the nicest machines to look at. Just nothing short of jaw dropping.

Peace all!

#242 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

When I first got WOZ it took one game to realize the upper right flipper was terribly placed. You can't see the ball coming to time your shot. Not to mention there is not a single satisfying shot to shoot at, but that is another problem. Then I noticed the magnet above the flipper like on a number of Steve Ritchie games. I thought "if I was the programmer, I'd make up for this terrible design by making that magnet catch the ball A LOT." After playing about 40 games between my friends and I, none of us had seen that magnet hold the ball even once. I actually pulled the glass to test the magnet and verify that it works. Turns out you have to do all kinds of crap to get that magnet to activate in the game. I figured later software would maybe change that, but here we are two years later and that flipper is still tits on a bull and a perfectly good magnet sits almost unused. WOZ has great rules and is deep as hell. Personally I would have sacrificed some of that and made sure that magnet activates at least 50% of the time the ball passes by. First step in making up for a below average playfield is admitting that you have a below average playfield and be willing to give up a little to make the game a lot more fun to the average player not looking to play hour long games.

I completely disagree with the flipper placement comment. The two main shots are the forest and the witch. I do these at least a dozen times throughout a game. The forest shot is probably the most difficult shot out there.

I do agree with the magnet there. It is rarely used. To me that is more opportunity for code updates. I still think WoZ is the best overall pinball machine ever produced. I am afraid there may never be another like it. Especially with new leadership at JJP. I hope I am wrong though.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life
Toys/Add-ons
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 25.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iamabearsfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-review-the-hobbit-is-the-ultimate-test-for-kef?tu=iamabearsfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.