image2_(resized).JPG
image1-2_(resized).JPG
Screenshot_2016-05-25-13-13-50~01_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
TheDude_(resized).png
IMG_5115_zps7c333078_(resized).jpg
12729326_1128138983871363_2590656031592511560_n_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goronic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 7 years ago

The only thing I agree with you on is that it looks amazing.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I played once at the RMPS. I played a bunch of times at the 2up. Maybe 10? I played once in Manitou. The second game today, I got a ball stuck and the manager didn't have the keys. Put the game out of order. So, I guess 12 games total. Not near enough, but certainly enough to express my initial impressions.

I recommend that you not buy the hobbit. But I am

#132 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I would not waste you time and energy anymore with these guys. You love the game and so do I. We understand the rules, have it set up correctly at home (not a bar), and 1.10 code just makes it better. Like I said before, playing it on location or at a pinball show does not do this game justice.

Agree, but perhaps this is the right approach when explaining TH to others that don't like it.
TheDude_(resized).pngTheDude_(resized).png
http://24.media.tumblr.com/ad57f3eddae7845644664eb6845eb2e1/tumblr_mso9m9ySs11rey868o1_500.gif

#150 7 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Although I would like to play me some more Big Labowski! Love that rug!

It really tied the room together - did it not!?

#176 7 years ago

Nice write up. It's a nice pinball machine - looking forward to putting some real time on it as well (not just a couple bucks at the barcade).

Also I will say that I think Matt did a good job with the toys in the hobbit - he was hit and miss on WOZ, but I like the toys and 'trolls' on the hobbit. Looking forward to some of his other mods. He did 1 that is gold pile flippers that I don't think I will go with - but looking forward to see what else he has planned.

Matt - how about a rock bank/ledge on the flasher bumper above mystery? or a bagend toy?

#219 7 years ago

I think TH is more fun than WOZ - but totally cool if others feel WOZ is better.

To another point about playing it first. Before I got to play TH I was concerned I would not like it, and had all but canceled my order. But when I finally got to play it I was very glad I kept it, but also confused why it was getting all the hate. If you are considering getting it, play it first - don't just rely on reviews. It is all over the place in reviews, like WOZ was/is.

I budgeted 10K for the pin I wanted to own the most. For me it was between: TRON LE, WOZ, TH, Iron Man VE, and Star Trek Premium, or Monster Bash (the one I liked the most when I was a younger man). The pin that I wanted to most is TH - TRON LE is a close second but above my 10K budget.

Another thing about the fast or slow argument about the hobbit - for me personally I don't want it any faster. Plays plenty fast enough for me, especially with all those modes and popups.

#223 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

I just wish I could find one to play in Southern California. Ghostbusters are popping up everywhere, but no Hobbits.

Consider a long weekend road trip to get to one - or find a local pinsider that has one. A HUO setup will be ideal anyway. All I can say is after I played it I have to resist emailing Jen everyday for a status update.

#231 7 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

That's great & I am happy for the owners and operators...and keep in mind I own a WOZ, have no skin in the TH, & REALLY want JJP to survive and thrive, BUT why the HELL did it ship like that???? It was obvious in 1 BALL. It had to have been a ball ache in test...WHY???

Not sure why, but they have a good fix for it - and we aren't that far along in production anyway. All good man, relax.

#279 7 years ago

Boob likes WOZ better than hobbit, that's cool. WOZ is good, TH is good. I am a bit surprised that Boob is so hard on the hobbit. I would think if you like WOZ you would at least like the hobbit.

#296 7 years ago

I do have a sense for humor. I think everything that SilverBallz says is "bat shit crazy" funny.

#355 7 years ago

WOZ crystal ball is supposed to be a cool toy effect (and it is) - but not render the mode selection, timers, instructions, etc.

#372 7 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

man, I don't like to say I can think that far back....

But it beats the hell out of the alternative huh Sammy?

#376 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I put another $10 into Hobbit last night. I'm trying so hard to enjoy this game...and failing.

I agree, stop wasting your money - if you don't like it don't try to force it. I love the pin, but am not a fan of others people may love.

#403 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

27 comments in a single thread about a game you don't like... I'd say Hobbit has you hooked.

This is a good point. I don't go into threads of pins that I don't like to post that I don't like it. And if I did it would be 1 post - not over and over with I don't like this or that or I want to like it but I can't, blah blah blah.

#406 7 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

symptom of the mentally challenged

Don't think I would go that far, but to post over and over about the fact they don't like it is odd to me. I mean, what the hell is point!?

EDIT: A don't say it is constructive criticism - because it is rarely presented in that fashion.

#429 7 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

I thought this was a Keith thread... To see if he's got any new ideas left to turn TH into something worthwhile.

"We" ran him off Pinside - jeez all the JJP threads turn into this crap

#440 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

medium rare filet's are the best

take out the 'rare' and you are on to something

1 week later
#482 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

1.21 is NOW AVAILABLE..

Enjoy you hobbit owner and fans - I live the frequent code updates - and they are substantial. Can't wait to see the 'final' build

1 month later
#503 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballer0415:

If these were your thoughts after playing V1.21, you are in for a real treat when you play V1.30 or whatever is released next. The "E" shot is very difficult, but doable on my machine. I'm sure it depends on machine set up. I know some people who can backhand the holes, which I cannot do on my machine.

Hey man use the third flipper

#505 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballer0415:

For the "E" shot? Its doable but very risky since the left outaine is very close. Nothing is worse than sending an upper flipper shot straight to the left outlane without the kickback on.

Just kidding ... The E and N shots are both hard for me to hit.

#512 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

How does the extra time work?
10 seconds the first time you hit the ramp, and then 2 seconds the following times?
Are their checkpoints where it goes back up to 10 seconds?

I think you get 5 extra seconds (capped at 30 total seconds I think - but can be configured in settings) if you hit the left ramp when time is lit.

#516 7 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

They need to add a "save game" feature which will allow you to turn off the game and come back another time to finish it.

Check point saving...

#518 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I'd agree with that if you only got to resume from the most recent saved game once. It is part of the challenge to keep getting back to those milestone points. The JJP games are long for good players and sometimes you need to pause for life events, like eating, sleeping, etc.. If we can't pause a game, then I would tend to play a different game if I only had 15-20 minutes to kill. That's ok too.
On the other hand ... once you get "zoned out" and focused in on the game, you may tend to forget about everything else - that is sometimes good for you too.

I was just joking, the game is great and getting better

#522 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

What you have to do w/ the Hobbit is trap the ball. If you do this a lot, things will come a lot easier to you. I have to do this and it works just fine..

True, but the timed modes are harsh - and you better look really quick cause the time is ticking

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goronic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-review-the-hobbit-is-the-ultimate-test-for-kef?tu=goronic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.