image2_(resized).JPG
image1-2_(resized).JPG
Screenshot_2016-05-25-13-13-50~01_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
TheDude_(resized).png
IMG_5115_zps7c333078_(resized).jpg
12729326_1128138983871363_2590656031592511560_n_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 7 years ago

My review of your "review": After 12 words I found Russell's review to be laughably empty and devoid of anything that justified a new thread on Pinside. After that The review just floated and moved slow, and I don't think even the great Keefer could save this review. DaveH gives this review a Pinside rating of 2.3 (I wanted to give it a 1, but that rating would be ignored by the system).

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from peaceboy666:

besides mmr whens the last time a new games actually been released with completed code? until they do every new game is fkn shyte.scratched record yes but when ya pay full money for 1/2 a game its crap

GOT. The shipped code was pretty much complete. There have been big fixes, but for the most part the code was done.

#103 7 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Draining the thread nothing to see here...

Eventually we will have cat pictures, and sorry bud, you are going to miss it.

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

The wrecking ball in junkyard is like 472 shots. Best toy ever!

The wrecking ball is wild!

#177 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

1. Medieval Madness
2. Twilight Zone
3. Monster Bash
4. Attack From Mars
5. Lord of the Rings
6. The Addams Family
7. Metallica
8. Indiana Jones
9. AC/DC
10. Tales of the Arabian Nights

Wow. I just realized that I'm totally over the 90s games. I still have a few from the 90s kicking around the house, but I don't have an urge to add any more from that era.

#243 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Yes, there are shots there, but a stand-up target does not count as a satisfying shot.

I found the shot to melt the witch to be one of the most satisfying shots in pinball. It is difficult to get to, it can only be made from that flipper, and if you miss you have to requalify the shot again while keeping both balls in play.

So you're right, we can also agree to disagree. I like games with multiple layers of complexity that use features of the game in distinctive ways.

And Boob forgot to list collecting Horses is under that flipper. A "side game" in WOZ that can completely mess you up as you try to build up multipliers to combine with the munchkin modes. Something nobody does on location, but at home things like that can waste entire nights as you try to combine munchkins and horses into big bonus scores. Good stuff.

#289 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

That's garbage. It gets repeated again and again, but it's crap.
Why should a machine play slower because it is a few inches wider? It makes no sense.

To some people it feels slower, and this is because of the fact that a ball traveling at the same speed that has a longer distance to cover will take more time to cover that longer distance. So it is all a matter of perception and how you measure the ball getting to its next destination. Makes perfect sense.

That being said, my Demolition Man is one of my fastest games, because I made it that way. Speed doesn't fit every game though, and (on topic) I think Hobbit plays well when setup well.

#360 7 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

You can get pretty deep/complex without a LCD (LotR). JJP took it beyond that, so the LCD was necessary. But that has also been my gripe with the idea of the LCD, well with WOZ at least. Since I don't own one, I need to keep looking up at the LCD to know what is going on whenever I play it. It doesn't matter how clearly the rules are described. It just isn't well suited for the casual game here and there. There is a learning curve on it, and it is very busy. Nothing wrong with that, especially for owning one. It is like an RPG pin. It is just a completely different experience, and I'm glad they're doing it.
The mini LCD on TH is nothing short of awesome. They found a clever and unique way of putting an extremely functional embellishment right into the game. I'm sure it is easier to understand rules quickly vs WOZ. I still need to find somewhere to play TH before I can say anything more about it though.

It did take a bit of time. But after a while a quick glance at the LCD on WOZ told you the exact information you needed. I liked the quadrant layout, because all the info was right there all the time.

#374 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I put another $10 into Hobbit last night. I'm trying so hard to enjoy this game...and failing.

Why keep putting money in then? It's ok to give up on a game. And giving up on one you don't like is easy. I've given up on lots of games after 10 or 20 plays. There are so many games that I LOVE dropping 10 bucks into that it is meet worth playing the ones you know you don't like. Play the ones you enjoy.

#400 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Rules or not, the layout on The Hobbit is just too safe. Long, fairly easy shots make for long balk times and slow combos. The pop-ups break the monotony, but they're so overused that they become too much. We're going to have to see the best rules ever to elevate a pretty weak layout.

27 comments in a single thread about a game you don't like... I'd say Hobbit has you hooked.

#441 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Guys, I want to like The Hobbit. I REALLY want to like it.

Now that you are up to 37 posts in a thread about a game you profess to dislike, I'm going to call it LOVE.

I was dead on this morning... Hobbit has you hooked, and you love talking about it. Cool. Excellent discussion points.

#443 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

but at some point you have to realize that it makes you look downright weird.

Well I am downright weird. We all are. Commercial games in our houses??? Weird. You could have stopped there and everyone would call it a quip. Unfortunately...

Quoted from jar155:

Anyway, how many owners have asked for and installed the plastic pieces for the pop ups?

That is the basic form of internet trolling. You attempt to redirect me to stop the other side, and then take a dig at the subject. Everyone already knows that was an issue (and was worse on some games). We also know there is a fix coming, but you jump to a reminder of it to see if you can make people feel worse about the game by pointing out a flaw. It's kind of a weak effort, but I'm sure you will try to improve upon it.

So your style might work. Say something bad about DaveH, then say something about a flaw in the game. It might work if you keep coming back to chat about a game you don't even like (that has you hooked).

#447 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'll get another shot at The Hobbit this weekend. Should have lots of opportunity to really sink my teeth in and try to see it in another light.

I look forward to your continued insight from playing a game you don't like (I'm the one with problems?).

1 month later
#500 7 years ago

I finally got some real time on a Hobbit to see where the state of the code was. And my impression was "WOW". If this is the ultimate test for KEF, he is passing it with flying colors. This game is huge. I have to admit, the first time I saw "Bash the spider" mode, I was a little disappointed. Were all 31 modes going to be so simple? But they were not. There is a huge variety in the modes, And you really need to pay attention to the shots you are making to progress in them. It felt like there was a ton of strategy going on all the time, combining modes with multiballs, and progressing "Into the fire".

It definitely took a couple of games to get into the flow of things. It feels slower at first, but the game gets a bit crazy as you get deeper. "Into the fire" had a couple of bugs. For instance, starting it was not obvious on the playfield. I had it flashing, but there was no indication how to start it anywhere written or flashing (the holes on both sides start it). Playing it was a blast though. Shots were indicated well with the blue, but it was really hard to try and see the counts I had left because it all felt so frenetic. I ended up needing a friend to read what I had left because all my attention was used in trying to shoot.

When I finished playing, I was sweating, my hands were sore, and I had put up a monster score. It did end up being a pretty long playing game, but very rewarding. I really started looking for scoring opportunities while playing. As I found the more rewarding shots I'd hammer them until that scoring was done. The only thing I didn't like on the playfield was the placement of the ELF and MAN drop targets. Those were really tough to hit, and I'm not sure it is possible to hit the E in ELF under any direct shot circumstances.

Keefer is knocking this one out of the park. I can't wait to visit the next versions of the software.

(Disclamer: I have been known as a JJP honk in the past. You can take that for what it is worth. I like Pinball, and I had an absolute blast playing this game, even though I am not a fan of the theme. I thought the entire thing was well implemented and I had genuine fun the entire time playing it. If you think I am swayed because I like having more than one company making pinball machines, fine, discount this whole opinion. But it is a damn fun game.)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-review-the-hobbit-is-the-ultimate-test-for-kef?tu=daveh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.