image2_(resized).JPG
image1-2_(resized).JPG
Screenshot_2016-05-25-13-13-50~01_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
TheDude_(resized).png
IMG_5115_zps7c333078_(resized).jpg
12729326_1128138983871363_2590656031592511560_n_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

I don't doubt what it will be after Keefer's done with it, I've never been disappointed by his work. In my head I'm having a hard time picturing it being that good, but I know he'll find a way to get it there.

Code can only go so far. Deep code didn't save wpt in my opinion and the fact that it languishes at the low end of late model stern value bears out that this is the general opinion on it.

The hobbit layout just isn't very inspiring. I haven't played the latest code, I would like to get some games on it. I put probably 50 on it already in league play and also just to see how it is. I'm not too impressed so far.

"So not impressed you played it 50 times?!"

Come on, you gotta do better than that as an argument. You WANT to give every game a chance to win you over and you don't do that with 5 games.

Not everybody is gonna like every game, even one you paid $8000 clams for. That's life. It's not like people are putting stickers of Calvin pissing on a JJP logo on the back window of their F-150.

Don't take it so personally. If you are happy with it that's the important thing.

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

After reading the original post, these replies are so predictable.
Some people are obsessed with hyping games they are in on.
It's just a toy, why do people take it so personally?

Back when pinball machines didn't cost $8,000, and people didn't pay these obscene amounts of money 3 years in advance and pray they haven't been Jpopped it wasn't as much of an issue.

People are investing more money than ever in these games, and as such, are investing more personally than they ever have before. You'll never see someone get as defensive over their purchase of a $400 Big Brave, because they just don't give that much of a shit. "You don't like big brave? Your loss it's a great game!" Instead of "you have a sinister agenda! You are a complete douchebag and you are wrong this the best game ever just shut your pie hole and stop being a hater mchateface you stupid hater!!!"

The more expensive these games, the more of a life and death struggle it becomes. God forbid your wife makes it to the boards and finds that the game you've been trying to convince her is both awesome and a sound financial investment is not actually universally beloved in the pinball community.

That's how I see it, and many others do as well. Maybe we are wrong. Maybe we are crazy.

But it just might be a lunatic you are looking for.

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

This isn't how shots are counted. Each bank of drops is one shot. Each bank of stand ups is one shot. This is how shots have always been counted, it gets confusing to arbitrarily change that.

Getaway has like 5 shots yet it's a whole shitload more fun than The Hobbit or WPT. Completely pointless "statistic."

#74 7 years ago

WPT blew when it came out, it blows today, and, if trends continue, it will blow well into the future. The play is "well regarded" by like 5 people. Granted, one of them is a good friend of mine, but hey there's no accounting for taste.

#79 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yes you dislike The Hobbit, we know. Sorry but a lot of us want a game that offers more (far more) then progressing through 5 gears, that are not really modes, and one main multiball. Getaway is a fun game but its nice having epic quest based games as well that offer a ton of a different things to do.

Yes, you like The Hobbit, we know. Sorry but a lot of us want a game that offers more (far more) then just a whole bunch of pointless shots that aren't satisfying or modes that are all the same and not any fun to play. Hobbit is a fun game but it's nice having a simple quest that is much more satisfying, and does one or two things extremely well than a ton of different things to do in a very mediocre and undistinguished fashion.

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

. It just gets old hearing guys bash it, And then hearing others defend it. It's just pinball. Enjoy each game for what it is.

Ok, so you think we should stop criticizing things about games we don't like, or defending things about games we do like. I guess Pinside should just be for arguing about prices or posting gaudy pictures of over-LEDd games? Cause that's about all we'd have left.

#94 7 years ago

How many shots does Space Mission have? That swinging target has to count for like 20 on its own, right?

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

40, because it's a different trajectory if you're using the left flipper vs. the right flipper.

HOLY SHIT!

No wonder that game was so popular.

#226 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I think the best code change that Keith can make right now for TH, is get rid of the low scoring stuff. There's nothing exciting about hitting a 1,000 point shot. Everything else is great. Seriously though, just a scoring change in that regard would do wonders. There's so much excitement with hitting a 35,000,000 point shot in TWD, just because it's worth that many points. The scoring system in WOZ and especially TH really numbs the importance and excitement of an otherwise great set of shots and objectives in the current ruleset.

This is a huge issue with Hobbit software. Everything scores the same. There's no progression, and no excitement. Maybe that's been addressed in the code update.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.50
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-review-the-hobbit-is-the-ultimate-test-for-kef?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.