image2_(resized).JPG
image1-2_(resized).JPG
Screenshot_2016-05-25-13-13-50~01_(resized).png
image_(resized).png
TheDude_(resized).png
IMG_5115_zps7c333078_(resized).jpg
12729326_1128138983871363_2590656031592511560_n_(resized).jpg
hobbit-PF_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rick432.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#302 7 years ago

Going back to the FIRST post, I haven't commented on TH as much as I had on WOZ when it first arrived.

But only because we've been PLAYING TH so darned much. I occasionally read the comments here, and the anti Hobbit reviews (well SOME of them anyway) are just so laughably off base that I have a hard time taking them seriously at all. It's like they're playing an entirely different pin than the one I'm playing.

The variety of shots are great. This thing plays like a shooting gallery. If one is looking for a ton of flow (and, at times, this one has its share but its not a flow beast like, what, 5 of the last 7 (?) Stern releases), then this might not be for you. But I don't WANT another flow pin. I've got a few. They're all over the place.

This pin defies characterization for me. I don't have ANYTHING from either the DMD or LCD era that is like this.

The troll heads orchestration change the character of this layout on its head. Skill shot is different. Ring button used in ways that I've never seen lockdown bumper buttons used before.

And the multimedia show makes this best use of film footage for a pin HANDS DOWN. That includes sound/music.

And the show is just getting started.

Great game. Entire family loves it.

If you liked the long ball times/journey aspect of Stern's LOTR, though this isn't a flow beast, you'll love the journey aspect of this pin, too. Spinner-map progression was a great addition: I'm glad it made it into the game.

Haven't hooked up a subwoofer yet, but I'd imagine Smaug would sound great with it.

Stays in collection. Unique, and nothing like it.

#311 7 years ago

I'm not badmouthing GB at all.

I'm just saying TH is a completely different pin experience than anything out there. Even WOZ.

The very nature of the playfield layout changes a lot based on how those heads pop up.

You NEED to look at the LCD Book and preferably the main screen as well to keep track of things: am I TRYING to hit drop targets or AVOID targets? The permutations of the shots are dizzying. And Keefer can do all kinds of sophisticated things based on the ability to deliver info with the screens.

The current Stern platform simply can't do this. GB looks great, really. I'm especially a fan of ZombieYeti's art. But the game itself doesn't look radically different from what I already have from Stern lately.

Hobbit is DIFFERENT. Very different. It's definitely a long ball time game. Some people just don't like that. But since the modes are so SO varied, and the eye candy that gets unlocked is also varied, that the "journey" aspect of the game becomes its main thrust.

Some people like that. Some don't. But it definitely has an epic feel that I don't THINK I'll get out of GB (for better or worse).

In terms of bang for the buck, it SEEMS like more hardware on The Hobbit. But why even go there? Just from a limited physical FOOTPRINT persepective, for me Hobbit justifies me making room for it. GB would be welcome, but I'd get rid of one of my 3 or 4 pins that GB reminds me of to make room for it.

That's just how I sees it. And my family, based on their plays.

#341 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

It's not even just ball speed. With The Hobbit, there's a lot of open space, as most the shots are at the edges of the playfield. This creates a long time between flips and the ball returning to the flippers. Even though the ball is in motion, it's a lot longer between flips than what you get with most games. Whether that's bad or not for you, that's totally a matter of personal perspective.

There's a lot of open space...
....as long as all the troll heads are down. But they pop up and down like whack-a-moles depending on mode and inlane triggers. When that's the case, especially wolf and spider, the ball bounces back VERY quickly. Quicker than standard body.

In Hobbit, the heads pop up much, much, much more than the troll heads in MM. They significantly affect the speed with which the ball returns. And they're highly variable. Which is why it is hard to characterize Hobbit. Which is what makes it so unique.

Keefer can be VERY creative with the modes on this game, between great information delivery to the player via LCDs and wide variety of targets to orchestrate in both up and down positions, and targets behind drops, too. It's a shooting gallery game.

#356 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I agree! The crystal ball is so underutilized on the WOZ

Truer words were never spoken.

How cool would it have been if the crystal ball was a fraction as useful as the book in TH.

#357 7 years ago

If I had to summarize my opinion of The Hobbit in one sentence:

Playing The Hobbit makes it MORE likely that I will buy JJP #3.

#365 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I have had a re-think after playing both.
GB is more instant fun, fast gratification, a quick blast, the hot chick so to speak.
Hobbit is the appreciate more over time, the long term relationship.
For home use I would probably switch to the Hobbit by accepting it is different, long ball times, adventure, quest and could take many months/years to understand all the modes/wizard etc.
GB I think would be a blast for the first couple of months but the linear ruleset would get old.
Yes, Hobbit has huge BOM but why that cheap pop bumper near top of p/f? Thought I was looking at a Stern game for a moment! And that is not a Stern Bash as TWD is my favourite game but I still don't like cheap plastic on a $7000 game.

How much you want to bet Matt makes an upgrade to the pop bumpers eventually?

2 weeks later
#490 7 years ago

With this new patch, the whack-a-mole component to this game has come alive!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rick432.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-review-the-hobbit-is-the-ultimate-test-for-kef?tu=Rick432 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.