Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

16179336_10155738923952586_8694605006540054867_o (resized).jpg
    AllOurYesterdays_Custom-500x375 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6291 (resized).PNG
    CC1DA278-B59C-4594-8651-F4057E3783CE-1903-0000032EF6EF0E5F_tmp (resized).png
    maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    Libraryghost05 (resized).png
    IMG_0798 (resized).JPG
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

Disclaimer, The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

I like to write about my experiences at the PHoF in Las Vegas.
    I'm new to the area and recently moved to Las Vegas and finally had some free time to head to a new place to play some pinball locally. I met up with a fellow pinsider I've become friends with and we headed down to play some this afternoon.

In past reviews from some patrons I was left with the impression the establishment wasn't overall that great and there are other local places to play some games that are better maintained. However, the PHoF is known to have a good selection and some rather unique (rare) pinballs. After taking a walk around, initially I was actually more impressed than expected until I met the "Librarian" (we'll get to that soon).

If I had to guess there were in the neighborhood of 70+ pinballs ranging from EM's, Early Solid State to Current DMD games, to include the BRAND NEW Stern Batman 66. As with typical location games, they aren't always the cleanest or 100% functioning. Some flipper bats misaligned greatly affecting your ability to make certain shots, rubbers that are not the best etc. Overall, honestly the pins that were working weren't the worst I've seen for sure. As with any large collection, multiple pins were down for one reason or another. For you arcade lovers, there was a decent selection of stand up arcade games available as well.

Things took an interesting turn though while playing "Line Drive". For the record, the fellow pinsider had one as a kid in his house and introduced me to it. I've never played it before but got the hang of it fairly quickly. For those of you familiar with this game, I hit a home run and was pretty excited like most of us get when we make great or tough shot. In my state of happiness I let out a "woo who"! Within about 10 seconds "The Librarian" came up to me and my buddy and stated we needed to calm down and be more quiet!
    At first, I thought she was actually yanking my chain a bit over my excitement when she stated this. I stood there quietly listening to her request with a puzzled face. I say puzzled because then I was told "Don't look at me in that tone of voice". Ya, no joke. I uttered that I was confused and trying to figure out if you are kidding with me or not here. The Librarian:"No, I'm not kidding, you need to think of this place like a Library or even a Museum and be quiet." Me:"Ahhhh Ok". The Librarian:"If you did that [Got excited] while I was working on a machine with hot soldering iron, I could easily burn myself if you startled me." Now, I'm just puzzled as sh*t as she was not working on a game and was wayyyyy at the end of the row 10+ games away from us when I seen here in my moment of being elated.

There was another patron playing a game behind my buddy and I and she stood there as perplexed as we were about the situation and didn't understand. Maybe 5 minutes goes by and I hear a couple people the next row over excited by something they did let out an outburst of happiness and fun. Not a few seconds go by and again who comes running up.....The damn Librarian who proceeded to admonish this group of a people too.

In closing, if you are looking to have fun and a good time......I might encourage you to go elsewhere. The Librarian (Female employee) isn't very reasonable and has the tact of a homeless bum. All in all though a good day, played some pins and was one stroke away from being asked to leave/kicked out of the PHOF.

#2 7 years ago

For the record we were in the middle of a great game.

IMG_0798 (resized).JPGIMG_0798 (resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago

Yup!.This really happened!.I have never scored 31 runs in the 44 years I've been playing this game.But I was not allowed to raise my voice in excitement.If you do, the "Librarian" will ask you to leave.She said we needed to treat this place like a "Library"or a "Museum" and be quiet!

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from ff6735:

I might encourage you to go elsewhere. The Librarian (Co-Owner/Wife) isn't very reasonable and has the tact of a homeless bum

Ouch. She was always nice to me. Sorry you felt this way. 31 runs is a smashing score.

#5 7 years ago

I think they have more like 220 pins.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

Plus circa 700 more hidden out the back.

Funny ... people come to my place and always say "wow you have a lot of pinballs in here! What's is there, like 30 of them? (It's usually 30, dunno why...). "Ah no, about 100...."

rd

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from LoveNeverDiesGuy:

Ouch. She was always nice to me. Sorry you felt this way. 31 runs is a smashing score.

I could see if I was a jerk of sorts, however when she spoke I respected her, listened and remained quiet. It's her establishment, I'm a guest...was a guest.
    Oh I actually forgot to mention she also stated, "if you want to be loud, go to Dave and busters". When you add all this up it's just strange. I'd understand that more if I was drinking etc but haven't had a drop all day. But hey, she makes a good point, I can play at Dave and Busters, drink and have fun and it's encouraged.....so off to D&B I go

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

Dude, I didn't count.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from ff6735:

Dude, I didn't count.

I meant no offense; just clarifying.

#10 7 years ago

Beginning Dude in a sentence is a sign of endurement. At least, in California.

Quoted from TRAMD:

#11 7 years ago

I love the PHOF and appreciate what they do...That being said, I have had an almost exact same experience as outlined by the OP... I do still go back there despite the attitude of management.

#12 7 years ago

I wonder how they keep the library effect when the noise from games, especially older EMs with bells, enough going at the same time, can be loud enough to wake the dead.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from ff6735:

so off to D&B I go

Good luck finding a pin at D & B!!

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Good luck finding a pin at D & B!!

I think you missed my point.

Quoted from TRAMD:

Ya man, no offense was taken. Just was citing I didn't really count, I was just there to enjoy the hobby and past time was all.

#15 7 years ago

Who is this "Librarian" you all speak of? This is a fairly new turn of events.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Who is this "Librarian" you all speak of?

LTG : )

Libraryghost05 (resized).pngLibraryghost05 (resized).png

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

The "Librarian" is Tim's (owner) wife.
    It is hard too tell them apart.They both look alike.The difference is Tim wears glasses and his wife doesn't.

Tim now has 2 hearts attacks under his belt.So, my guess is the wife is standing in for him.And I did witness a young man doing some maintenance on a machine.(that was always tim's job)
    Edit:
    My apologies to Tim's wife (charlotte).I just spoke with someone who has confirmed that the lady in question is not his wife.
    But I was shocked to hear the origin of his help!.Which explains everything!

#18 7 years ago

I think her name was Beth, and she was super duper nice to me.

Not saying that the OP's experience didn't happen; I know firsthand how much the experience here can vary. But even if there were flaming hoops to jump through to get into the PHoF, I personally think it's worth it.

And damn they do look alike. I thought it was Tim bent over the Apollo 13, fixing the DMD... then they looked up at me and I realized holy cow it's a woman! Not to be rude or anything - slight physique, long hair...

#19 7 years ago

BTW if you want something a little more modern and a little less.... temperamental, you MUST check out the Fremont Arcade, located in the old Neonopolis Building on Fremont. Or is it still called the Neonopolis building?

Flipperschpiel is also amazing from what I've heard, but I still haven't found time to visit it.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzzz:

The "Librarian" is Tim's (owner) wife.
    It is hard too tell them apart.They both look alike.The difference is Tim wears glasses and his wife doesn't.

Charlotte doesn't really work on the games, I am pretty sure you are talking about Beth who has taken over some of the daily maintenance of machines.

Bit rude for people to say they look alike as other than the long grayish hair and both being slim I don't see it at all.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

BTW if you want something a little more modern and a little less.... temperamental, you MUST check out the Fremont Arcade, located in the old Neonopolis Building on Fremont. Or is it still called the Neonopolis building?
    Flipperschpiel is also amazing from what I've heard, but I still haven't found time to visit it.

I've actually been to both NYNY and the Freemont arcade. Jesse and James were super cool and personable. Nice selection of games in really great condition too.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

I've tried them all.NYNY,Fremont and Flipperspiel.Adam @ Flipperspiel is one of the coolest cats you will ever meet.Jesse,James & Larry @ Fremont are top notch also!

#23 7 years ago

Never knew that Tim was married. Noone likes to be shushed while having fun. I see this museum/library atmosphere alienating people, resulting in smaller checks for the Salvation Army.

#24 7 years ago

Tim's a great guy. His wife, well, I don't know her. But I dislike the charity, and therefore would rather spend money elsewhere, unless I want to play the Pinball Circus. No other reason for me to go to PHOF. Not exactly pinball's best foot forward.

NYNY has amazingly well-kept pins. Next time I'm there, I'll check out Flipperspiel.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

Tim's a great guy. His wife, well, I don't know her. But I dislike the charity, and therefore would rather spend money elsewhere, unless I want to play the Pinball Circus. No other reason for me to go to PHOF. Not exactly pinball's best foot forward.
    NYNY has amazingly well-kept pins. Next time I'm there, I'll check out Flipperspiel.

I've met his wife, Charlotte at the Fun Nights Tim used to host at the Big Hit Shed and his patio area. She was always really nice. I think we are talking about the "manager" Tim hired, I forget her name but she has posted here when she was hired on.

Have to be careful about stating dislike for Tim's (now former) favorite charity. Last time I posted my dislike for it along with stating I no longer feel like supporting the PHoF; the torches & pitchforks came out after me with downvotes galore and threatening PM's.

When I was in LV with Ballykid a couple of years ago, we didn't even bother going to the PHoF. Now that I heard Tim no longer favors the particular charity like he used to; I stopped in when I was in LV a few months back.

#26 7 years ago

what charity is the money.....going to now??
    I also will stop there. Agreed, pinball circus one of the few reasons to stop in.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

You'll have to ask him as he's not showing donations on the website these days. I understood that he's hoarding cash since he paid off the mortgage and bought the lot next door for cash.

The Salvation Army is now ran by a regional or national office making the LV operation unable to accept direct donations. They can now transfer say a vehicle Tim buys for the LV center to the Paducah branch. Tim's not big on that.

#28 7 years ago

I also will stop there. Agreed, pinball circus one of the few reasons to stop in.

Pinball Circus was out of order.

#29 7 years ago

We went awhile ago while on vacation and will never go back. She was more than rude, and while I was ready to drop a ton of money, we bounced, and headed to Fremont instead. I can cheer all I want there.

#30 7 years ago

My apologies to Tim's wife (charlotte).I just spoke with someone who has confirmed that the lady in question is not his wife.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I wonder how they keep the library effect when the noise from games, especially older EMs with bells, enough going at the same time, can be loud enough to wake the dead.

Good point, a knocker would startle me more than any one making some noise from a good score. That said love the phof, I was there last month, and black hole had a drop target that would not reset, bummer. She was working on jacks open.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

'71 was a bad year for pinball, people smashing them with sledgehammers, hippies burning out coils.

I don't judge a man if he thinks Barb Wire or Street Fighter is a top ten machine. Dot matrix displays were never my bag.

But you put on a pair of shoes when you walk into the Pinball Hall of Fame, fella!

maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Plus circa 700 more hidden out the back.
    rd

I think it took me 4 separate visits before I got the nerve/front to ask about having a peek at the prototype Atari Road Runner and 4x4 stashed out the back after seeing them in a youtube video.

#34 7 years ago

I could probably deal with being shushed, but following with "don't look at me in that tone of voice" would have escalated things quickly.
    CC1DA278-B59C-4594-8651-F4057E3783CE-1903-0000032EF6EF0E5F_tmp (resized).pngCC1DA278-B59C-4594-8651-F4057E3783CE-1903-0000032EF6EF0E5F_tmp (resized).png

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzzz:

Alright, give us the inside scoop already! The stories and infamy just don't stop at this place... It's fun hearing...

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzzz:

C'Mon....please do tell. Can't leave us hanging like that.

#37 7 years ago

C'Mon....please do tell. Can't leave us hanging like that.

A former librarian.....?

#38 7 years ago

The PHOF is listed as a Museum on Wikipedia.
    If you are looking for the "Arcade" atmosphere.You will need to seek out an arcade.

IMG_6291 (resized).PNGIMG_6291 (resized).PNG

#39 7 years ago

Sometimes the librarian shoves you through a time portal based on the year of the game you were playing...

AllOurYesterdays_Custom-500x375 (resized).jpgAllOurYesterdays_Custom-500x375 (resized).jpg

#40 7 years ago

When I'm there at PHOF I always go alone and play as many pinball machines I don't get to see (like flintstones). The fun is in the games not the atmosphere, at least that's how I feel because I think there are so many emotional variables in keep that place together already.
    I always make sure when I leave to thank the worker or volunteer that is there. I don't really bother telling them what I saw broken or needing repair because sometimes I feel they already know.

#41 7 years ago

The "Librarian" is ok. I tried to help her on the stuck balls on Avatar and she became upset with me. The assurance that I owned multiple pins did nothing for her. She is just looking out for the machines. This is an awesome place. You will find NOWHERE in the entire world with such a complete collection of pins. Every pinhead owes it to themselves to go here and I will make the cab trip every time I am in Vegas from now until forever. I stupidly didn't play Pinball Circus, just the Medieval Madness next to it. I plan to play it the next time I am there.

#42 7 years ago

Actually that's not true ("you will find nowhere in the world with such a complete collection of pins.") The Ann Arbor Michigan pinball museum, at 350 games, has a far better "complete" collection of set up and restored games. For example, nearly complete collections of 1990s Bally/Williams WPC, Stern m200, Dataeast, Zaccaria gen2, williams/bally system11, bally -17/-35, 1970s gottlieb wedgeheads, etc etc. Tim Arnold was even very impressed when he saw the place! In addition the Banning CA collection and the PMM collections are far more complete than the PHoF.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Actually that's not true ("you will find nowhere in the world with such a complete collection of pins.") The Ann Arbor Michigan pinball museum, at 350 games, has a far better "complete" collection of set up and restored games. For example, nearly complete collections of 1990s Bally/Williams WPC, Stern m200, Dataeast, Zaccaria gen2, williams/bally system11, bally -17/-35, 1970s gottlieb wedgeheads, etc etc. Tim Arnold was even very impressed when he saw the place! In addition the Banning CA collection and the PMM collections are far more complete than the PHoF.

Thank you for the correction. I will have to check these out! Can you give more detailed descriptions of where to find the last two you mentioned?

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

Thank you for the correction. I will have to check these out! Can you give more detailed descriptions of where to find the last two you mentioned?

cfh meant PPM as his 2nd recommendation.
    The first two or three links here are what you want...
    http://bfy.tw/9fHx
    http://bfy.tw/9fIF

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from TRAMD:

Ann Arbor
    http://vfwpinball.com/

Banning
    http://www.museumofpinball.org/

PPM
    http://pacificpinball.org/

#46 7 years ago

this was posted on facebook the other day, so currently he is supporting a MS charity

16179336_10155738923952586_8694605006540054867_o (resized).jpg16179336_10155738923952586_8694605006540054867_o (resized).jpg

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

this was posted on facebook the other day, so currently he is supporting a MS charity

That is awesome and most appreciated. My wife has suffered from MS for the last 25 years, and it's a horrible disease (aren't most diseases I suppose). Any money that Tim and Sue/PHOF donates to the relief, support, and care of MS patients and/or research for an MS cure is most appreciated by people who suffer from the disease and those who care for them.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzzz:

The PHOF is listed as a Museum on Wikipedia.
    If you are looking for the "Arcade" atmosphere.You will need to seek out an arcade.

If it looks, smells, acts and feels like an arcade does that make it a museum?

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cserold:

If it looks, smells, acts and feels like an arcade does that make it a museum?

For licensing purposes and the related business model; Yes.

#50 7 years ago

Is the Ann Arbor Michigan pinball museum open on a weekly basis? The museum of pinball (Banning) is only open a few days a year. I believe they are trying to expand that but for 2017 I think its just the one weekend, not counting the tournament last week.

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-review-of-the-pinball-hall-of-famelibrarymuseum/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.