richard-simmons-nude-clothes_(resized).jpg
61lDc_(resized).png
14903542825_9637ba4a90_(resized).jpg
13103489_10207752526324108_1762000727408572288_n_(resized).jpg
download_(resized).jpg
cone_(resized).jpg
mullet-wig2_(resized).jpg
ace-ventura-pet-detective-dolphin-kid-signing-pimples-jim-carrey_(resized).jpg
There are 190 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

GB is big among pinball fans because most of them are stuck in the past anyway..

These companies know what there doing, Tron never made any impact on the newer generation like it did with the geeks in the 80's but a new film and you get the geeks plus on location from the newbies, same with GB's and BTTF I mean I remember those films and stuff but they were all but dead by the 90's, me and my buddies didn't care about any of that when we were 20 and even fewer still read comics or followed half the shit popular in the pinball world, same with the Hobbbit and LOTR's, I mean its a niche market, BTTF will appeal to the same aging geeks that most themes in pinball do, thats cool.

#52 7 years ago

I think barcades could bring 21+ year-olds to pinball, but only if they can relate to the themes. I think GOT and TWD are good examples of modern, relevant themes. GB, Kiss, WOZ...no.

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I think BTTF would be a terrible theme for a modern machine. Blasphemy?

Think what you'd like....thankfully, you're not working for a pinball company. You're completely off on the pulse of what themes work well with pinball. Ghostbusters is selling like CRAZY - purely because it's Ghostbusters. Strong theme. Fact.

Quoted from Russell:

I think barcades could bring 21+ year-olds to pinball, but only if they can relate to the themes.

They already ARE going to barcades and enjoying pinball. They don't need "Instagram: The Pinball" to relate to it. They like things that are funky and retro.

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Let's see how relevant the Ghostbusters franchise is after the all-girl cast dicks it up this year. .

Oh, I'm sure it will completely disappear from the pop culture consciousness, just like Star Wars did after Phantom Menace, Superman did after Quest for Peace, Back to the Future after Back to the future II, Jaws after Jaws 3 and 4, and Alien after Aliens 3 and 4. Not to mention Ghostbusters after Ghostbusters II.

Sure you don't want to rethink that theory? It's pretty hard to kill off something as beloved as Ghostbusters. Unless you really think "all-girl" is the ultimate kiss of death.

#55 7 years ago

Back to the Future would be a bigger hit in my house then Ghostbusters theme wise. My boy loves the movies! He loves Power of Love and Back in Time songs. Everybody better check out Lego Dimensions and the entire lego video game lineup that hasnt seen the games. What was fun and light hearted for us as children has stood the test of time and is loved by the younger generation, at least in my small part of the world. All my sons friends definitely know who Marty Mcfly, Biff, and Doc are and there all Kindergarteners.

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Review lost all credibility with "Weak theme".

Comment lost all credibility with avatar.

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I think GOT and TWD are good examples of modern, relevant themes. GB, Kiss, WOZ...no.

So they're mixing it up. Some modern, some classic. Something for everyone. We are living in the pinball good times, right now.

#58 7 years ago

You lost me with the title....Weak Theme......huh?

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Strong theme. Fact.

Nope, still just an opinion. I happen to disagree, which is OK.

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Nope, still just an opinion. I happen to disagree, which is OK.

The marketing longevity of the franchise and strong sales of the pin make it a fact.

Be objective.

Here's an example. I'm not remotely into Star Wars. I think the movies are boring. I recognize that my opinion has ZERO bearing on Star Wars as an immensely popular and marketable theme for licensed products.

#61 7 years ago

When I say that I think it is weak, I mean I that I don't like it, personally. It just doesn't resonate with me. I think it's an old, tired theme and makes pinball feel old, tired and only about nostalgia for old, rich guys.

I'm NOT saying that it won't sell or be wildly popular. That is a different point entirely. It is obviously popular, I acknowledge that completely. I will probably buy one myself, despite it's flaws.

#62 7 years ago

Would you take the design and re-theme it? Similar to Family Guy / Shrek? Or vault editions like Stern has done with Spidey and Iron Man?

And finally, what would you re-theme it as?

#63 7 years ago

No, it would be boring to see them recycle a layout. Bring on the next great ideas!

Ironically, I don't even really care that much about theme. I have a MET, and I am just so-so about their music. I have AMH, which is a super lame theme.

If I had to choose a theme I think is interesting...Archer is probably #1 for me.

#64 7 years ago

I'd love to see them make a machine which would be at theaters for the release of a big movie. Maybe the next Quentin Tarantino flick?

#65 7 years ago

Speaking of Quentin Tarantino, how about a Kill Bill pinball machine?

#66 7 years ago

Here's my observation regarding themes, as in Ghostbusters' theme: It depends on how much you're into pinball. Places I go that have pinball machines AND teenagers, 20's, and 30's yr olds (like theater arcades, barcades, bars with a few games, pizza joints, amusement parks, truck stops? ha) the machines are almost always empty regardless of themes, and I've seen all the themes being talked about. The video dancing and driving arcade machines and air hockey are way more active. So, truly?... Stern must know this and isn't even targeting these age groups, at least not with their "themes", including Ghostbusters. (But maybe with the lame video modes, idk, ha) To be clear, my 21 and 25 yr olds couldn't care less about GB. And for people that keep bringing up their 8 yr olds who love 80's themes... they're pre-adolescents, and it's all about pleasing parents (or lights and sounds) so any excitement over a "theme" is probably more mirroring you, than their genuine love for the brilliant comedic slapstick and cinematography of, say, a Ghostbusters.

Now then for those of us really into pinball, here's what I see... we have lots of choices and can be picky about how we spend our time (and money) on pinball. So... theme is very important. Because brilliant gameplay or not, I don't want to spend time on my favorite hobby being irritated or bored by the theme. I'm actually struggling a little bit with SM over this issue right now.

Theme, alone, can't "make" the game. But it can, alone, spoil the game.

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I'd love to see them make a machine which would be at theaters for the release of a big movie. Maybe the next Quentin Tarantino flick?

That's the marketing logic that led to multiple Bally/Williams flops like Congo and Johnny Mnemonic. It's marketing suicide. Games sell when buyers know and love the theme already and ops know their players will already know and love the theme. Making a game to meet a movie release date is short-sighted for multiple reasons.

1. Pinball machines are in production for a minimum of 3 years...the box office release window is irrelevant to the success of a game.
2. Studios usually won't share assets of a new movie, so you end up with a game that's missing storylines, characters, audio and video from movie.
3. What if the movie is garbage? No one is going to spend $5-8000 on a garbage theme.
4. People who play pins at a movie theater give ZERO fucks if the game is current to a movie they're there to see. My local theater has a Star Trek. Another has an Iron Man. Those feel well placed in a theater lobby no matter what.

If anyone was going to make a Tarantino based pinball, it'd be something people already know and love like Pulp Fiction.

Attachment to theme = GAMES SOLD before anyone actually plays it. That is the cornerstone of Stern's success.

#68 7 years ago

I think you're arguing against a point that I didn't make. You seem to think that I'm commenting on whether or not a given decision is good business, etc. I have no interest in that.

I would like lots of things that might not be great business decisions for Stern. For example, I would LOVE to see an Avett Brothers pin. That will not happen, but it would be an AMAZING theme for me. See the difference...?

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Oh, I'm sure it will completely disappear from the pop culture consciousness, just like Star Wars did after Phantom Menace, Superman did after Quest for Peace, Back to the Future after Back to the future II, Jaws after Jaws 3 and 4, and Alien after Aliens 3 and 4. Not to mention Ghostbusters after Ghostbusters II.
Sure you don't want to rethink that theory? It's pretty hard to kill off something as beloved as Ghostbusters. Unless you really think "all-girl" is the ultimate kiss of death.

I'll say it again slowly: Ghostbusters. Isn't. Star Wars. It's not even a very good film to begin with.

So no...I'll stick with my theory, thanks!

(To support my point, I submit this: Star Wars #3, Ghostbusters #67: http://www.statisticbrain.com/top-100-movie-franchises-by-revenue/ )

I appreciate that some people have a warm spot in their heart for this movie, but that doesn't make it universally loved or iconic.

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

80s nostalgia is wearing thin at this point.

No kidding!!! Stand tall and don't let those that are stuck there tell you any differently. If it continues modern pinball will not just be the joke it is now, but will die a sad death.

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from jkleinnd:

Here's my observation regarding themes, as in Ghostbusters' theme: It depends on how much you're into pinball. Places I go that have pinball machines AND teenagers, 20's, and 30's yr olds (like theater arcades, barcades, bars with a few games, pizza joints, amusement parks, truck stops? ha) the machines are almost always empty regardless of themes, and I've seen all the themes being talked about. The video dancing and driving arcade machines and air hockey are way more active. So, truly?... Stern must know this and isn't even targeting these age groups, at least not with their "themes", including Ghostbusters. (But maybe with the lame video modes, idk, ha) To be clear, my 21 and 25 yr olds couldn't care less about GB. And for people that keep bringing up their 8 yr olds who love 80's themes... they're pre-adolescents, and it's all about pleasing parents (or lights and sounds) so any excitement over a "theme" is probably more mirroring you, than their genuine love for the brilliant comedic slapstick and cinematography of, say, a Ghostbusters.
Now then for those of us really into pinball, here's what I see... we have lots of choices and can be picky about how we spend our time (and money) on pinball. So... theme is very important. Because brilliant gameplay or not, I don't want to spend time on my favorite hobby being irritated or bored by the theme. I'm actually struggling a little bit with SM over this issue right now.
Theme, alone, can't "make" the game. But it can, alone, spoil the game.

When i had other titles at my house my son never played them more then day i got them. The night i got ghostbusters i had to kick him off the table to go to bed and have had to many times since. He comes home from school and heads right to my games when im not even home. No mirroring happening here if he didnt like the game he wouldnt play it just like other titles. My buddy has 26 games including SM, IM, Xmen, IJ and my son doesnt care for any of them except LOTR because he loves the theme. Theme is everything when it comes to my kid.

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No kidding!!! Stand tall and don't let those that are stuck there tell you any differently. If it continues modern pinball will not just be the joke it is now, but will die a sad death.

I said it before its not the decade its the choices, lots of greatness to be had and haircuts.

mullet-wig2_(resized).jpgmullet-wig2_(resized).jpg

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I said it before its not the decade its the choices, lots of greatness to be had and haircuts.

The 80s already had enough great themed pinball machines and the best ones were not licensed.

If you want Ron and Nancy, why not just get a Cyclone like I did and be done with it.

As long as you guys keep buying them, then you will surely get Ferris Bueller someday, and I will just keep on laughing.

#74 7 years ago

Over this last weekend i had a friend over with his family. My buddy is a pinside member and has 8 games at home. His son around 13-14 never plays pinball. So he was back by my games and decided to play GB. His parents stood in the hallway astonished he was playing pinball. He didnt do all that great but when he pushed start a second time we all looked at each other(the parents) and smiled. Ghostbusters did that...

#75 7 years ago

My kid sees something like Ghostbusters and says "who comes up with this shit?" My sentiments exactly.

#76 7 years ago

It's not just "nostalgia" talking....the 80's was a special time for movies (comedic movies in particular) and for popular music.

My kids LOVE 80's movies and they love a lot of 80's music. For quite a while "Ferris Buller's Day Off" was my daughter's favorite movie. Oh, and they aren't little kids; my son is off to college in the fall and daughter will be a sophomore in HS.

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

My kid sees something like Ghostbusters and says "who comes up with this shit?" My sentiments exactly.

So no sense of humor then?

#78 7 years ago

Oh, pinside.

#79 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

So no sense of humor then?

Just the opposite. We both find it a complete joke. And then I explain how those buying them want reminders of their youth. Shall I rent out the VHS tape so you can see where they are coming from? And she says "No thanks!"

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The 80s already had enough great themed pinball machines and the best ones were not licensed.
If you want Ron and Nancy, why not just get a Cyclone like I did and be done with it.
As long as you guys keep buying them, then you will surely get Ferris Bueller someday, and I will just keep on laughing.

That's true on the unlicensed stuff and if Ferris Bueller is a possible result of wanting more 80's themes then I'll give it up right now, the ones I want will most likely never be made anyway, well Alien is coming at least.

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well, my kids say the same thing.

However, I tell my girls every day, who comes up with the stupid shit they are putting out today?

You want some Kanye West Yeezy shoes? WTF is wrong with you! Yeah things have changed for the better.

Actually my kids aren't that stupid.

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Just the opposite. We both find it a complete joke. And then I explain how those buying them want reminders of their youth. Shall I rent out the VHS tape so you can see where they are coming from? And she says "No thanks!"

Sounds like a real battle of wits going on there.

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I live in a college town with a popular barcade that is busy during the week and gets packed out on the weekends. South Park is the number one pinball earner followed by GOT. I never have to wait in line to play GB.

Love the new avatar by the way. Very topical!

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Sounds like a real battle of wits going on there.

Nope. We are on the same page. She's definitely my kid!

I do remember a short time during the 90s and I was in my 30s when 70s retro seemed cool to me. So I get where some of them are coming from. But the day just might come when you wake up look around and realize the 80s are gone for good. RIP.

#85 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Nope. We are on the same page. She's definitely my kid!
I do remember a short time during the 90s and I was in my 30s when 70s retro seemed cool to me. So I get where some of them are coming from. But the day just might come when you wake up look around and realize the 80s are gone for good. RIP.

I hope you know I was joking about you and ur kid, 70's retro was never cool and alot of the 80's was pure shit but it was a great decade all around, maybe you had to be a kid to realize that but I live pretty much day to day and am quite aware the 80's are a thing of the past, however when it comes to pinball themes no better time licensed or not. JMO

#86 7 years ago

The problem with Ghostbusters is any goodwill evoked in newcomers by the theme is immediately destroyed when it eats three balls in thirty seconds, which I've seen happen irl. My non-pinball-playing husband, also a millennial, walked away from it completely baffled and kind of frustrated, even after being intrigued by the theme, because he'd gotten three fast drains and hadn't seen any of the game at all. The theme is ok, but I wish it were better utilized. There's definitely a bank of affection for eighties stuff but I think if you really want to attract non-bro millennials, make a Steven Universe pin, or a Gravity Falls one, or Tim and Eric.

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

80s nostalgia is wearing thin at this point.

I disagree.. and not speaking from a 40-something mind, there are people younger than me (some in their late teens) that enjoy 80s because they didn't get to enjoy that time of innocence and fun.

Quoted from Russell:

Why would someone in their 20s care about a movie theme from way before they were born?

Because some themes are multi-generational (see star wars, star trek, batman, mad max, army of darkness).. hell, there's even kids that still love the BTTF trilogy.

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

70's retro was never cool

When the grunge movement got into the second or third year and most of the bands were whining heavily, it was time to break out the heavy artillery! I decked out my beach hut with posters, lava lamps, and best of all, 70s heavy metal music! And people came. Lots of them. For one summer around '93 the 70s lived again!

On a sadder note. Irvine Meadows Amphitheater, a local venue that showcased just about every great act that was alive while it was has been scheduled to be mowed down in the name of progress. RIP.

#89 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

they didn't get to enjoy that time of innocence and fun.

I don't know what you were doing in that decade, but it was easily the least innocent decade of my life.

#90 7 years ago

Yeah boob, that's classic! That time of innocence was long before I was born. And that was in the 60s.

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

but it was easily the least innocent decade of my life

listen to ben heck from 13 minutes to 17minutes:

#92 7 years ago

To make this as simple as possible, think what it looks like to somebody in their 50s watching a bunch of 30 and 40 year olds trying to relive their youth.

Then imagine what those in their 20s and younger are seeing.

And remember pinball covers all age groups. So not everybody needs to relive the 80s.
You can all you like, but it's not for me.

#93 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

The problem with Ghostbusters is any goodwill evoked in newcomers by the theme is immediately destroyed when it eats three balls in thirty seconds, which I've seen happen irl.

Had a party this weekend at my place. Josh brought his GB to the house for people to play, so I had it around the house for some extra time. The day after the party, I watched a neighbor of mine try to play it - she's not a pinball person. She played 3 games in about a minute... She scrunched up her shoulders, and looked at me and asked "Are the games in the basement on?"

This game is a non-starter for anyone who isn't an established pinball player because it is just too damned hard. Even some of my pinball friends who were interested in buying it are now out based on how cheap most of the drains felt after they played it.

#94 7 years ago

Ghostbusters is a great theme and an absolute blast to play. If ever I get to see or play one I'll go into more detail.

#95 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I think barcades could bring 21+ year-olds to pinball, but only if they can relate to the themes. I think GOT and TWD are good examples of modern, relevant themes. GB, Kiss, WOZ...no.

That must be why a WOZ at a local barcade near me continues out earns TWD and GOT.

#96 7 years ago

Ghostbusters is a good theme, it's fun. What knocked GB out of the park IMO is the art. Look at MET and GB, people went nuts on day 1 of the release because of the eye candy factor of good, hand drawn art. Of course it helps that both have solid themes.

I personally would love to see more current themes.

#97 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

To make this as simple as possible, think what it looks like to somebody in their 50s watching a bunch of 30 and 40 year olds trying to relive their youth.

I agree but again that may apply to GB's and BTTF but not Blade Runner, Aliens, Arnold classics like Commando and Total Recall, then you have Robocop, Die Hard and the list continues, simple betters films in a better time, music was the same, Ok alot of crap as usual but I hardly even see instruments today and the majority of films suck, I'm not interested in GB's as a theme for pinball and most guys who do love it because it works for them and their kids and ofcourse the wife so they can buy one, I appreciate 50+ fellas having pride in the 70's and the 60 and overs digging the 60's, its just respecting a better time, licensed themes in pinball for the most part have always been strange, in the 90's they were some great movies and yet JM, TS and Congo, WTF? I grew up with Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Star Trek films, Terminator, Die Hard and so many of the best comedians in their prime, what the hell is going on today, trash, we are all reliving our youth by simply being in this hobby my friend.

#98 7 years ago

theme is good and artwork is good but wish the side rails had more detail in them like some of the other le's. gameplay right now is decent at best. probably will get better with time but I never see this being up there with the other great titles.

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

There should be.
And BTTF simply isn't on the same level as SW and IJ. I teach kids that have never heard of BTTF and think that the new Ghostbusters is the first one ever made. Seriously. I would have been valedictorian if I went to school now.

Wait... you're a teacher?!?! As in a school teacher?!?!

Just kidding. I bet you're a lot of fun in the classroom!

#100 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Have to disagree. Look at the pure crap that is out today. Gangster rap, stupid shows like TWD, and LGBT "movements." Ghostbusters was a fun and clean comedy that adults and kids could watch. Today's "entertainment" is sick. I don't even go to the movies anymore and my TV is limited to the history channel and and few others. The rest is crap.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

There are 190 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-review-ghostbusters/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.