richard-simmons-nude-clothes_(resized).jpg
61lDc_(resized).png
14903542825_9637ba4a90_(resized).jpg
13103489_10207752526324108_1762000727408572288_n_(resized).jpg
download_(resized).jpg
cone_(resized).jpg
mullet-wig2_(resized).jpg
ace-ventura-pet-detective-dolphin-kid-signing-pimples-jim-carrey_(resized).jpg
There are 190 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 7 years ago

My Review: Ghostbusters Pro

I have owned and enjoyed many Stern games. I am an unabashed Stern fan. I have not bought GB...yet. I played ~10 games of GB Pro at PAPA 19. Then maybe 15 games at the Press Play launch party. Another 15 games at the1Up. I watched the Dead Flip twitch stream of GBLE. OK, with my GB credentials out of the way, on to the review...

The theme is weak. Not terrible, but not great, either. I saw the movie when I was 10, liked it, but haven't thought of it since then. It's better than Gremlins, Beetlejuice or TMNT, but 80s nostalgia is wearing thin at this point.

The art is fantastic, especially on the Pro. I love the colorful cabinet, and the terror dogs look great. I don't like looking at the marshmallow burning-man on the Premium, and Slimer (not Slimmer!) on the LE looks...goofy? I hate all the lime green snot everywhere. This is the first time I can comfortably say Pro > Premium > LE (at least in terms of art.)

The playfield art is colorful and integrates the theme well. Zombie Yeti is an amazing asset for our hobby. I'm glad he was rescued from JPop hell.

This game is incredibly fun. It is packed full of tough-but-satisfying shots. The modes are clever and engaging.

It's impossible to properly judge Premium and LE before playing them, but I'll include my impressions up to this point.

Initially, the magna-slings looked lame and gimmicky. It was silly of Stern to release that video of the early slings. On the Dead Flip stream, I was shocked how normally they behaved. They were a little dead, but I was reassured that thet wouldn't ruin the game, and might actually end up being a nice touch.

I'm not excited about the Ecto-goggles. Holograms? Again? Yawn.

I'd always prefer physical to virtual ball locks. I'm also excited to see the under-the-playfield ramp. I was glad to see Stern step up and fix the Slimer mech.

It's not flawless, but overall, it's a great package. Kudos to Trudeau, ZY and Dwight. I'll be a buyer, eventually. I'm waiting to see if the Premium playfield is enough to make it worth enduring the inferior art package. It's down to Pro or Premium for me. I just can't get over the neon green goo enough to want the LE.

For those who got in on LE, congratulations. Good call. Enjoy the game or the profit. Either way, it's a win.

#2 7 years ago

Nice write up. Thanks.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

The theme is weak. Not terrible, but not great, either.

Start off with something to anger the crowd; check

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

The theme is weak. Not terrible, but not great, either. I saw the movie when I was 10, liked it, but haven't thought of it since then. It's better than Gremlins, Beetlejuice or TMNT, but 80s nostalgia is wearing thin at this point.

Enter Capt Kirk ...

rd

#5 7 years ago

Sorry - but this review sucks really. IMHO

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Enter Capt Kirk ...
rd

Check this thread in what, 6 days?

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Check this thread in what, 6 days?

Something like that ...

rd

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

The modes are clever

Please expand on this? From what I have seen the mode completion are pretty stock standard. Who Bought the dog. 3 shots are lit, the ramp, left and right orbit. Hit those 3 shots in any order and the mode is done. I don't even know if they are timed but I am pretty sure the quicker you do it the more the shots are worth?

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Enter Capt Kirk ...
rd

Nah, he didn't say anything about Ghostbusters II

#10 7 years ago

I feel like this was a stream of opinions instead of a review. I'm glad for the opinion set though

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I feel like this was a stream of opinions instead of a review. I'm glad for the opinion set though

Aren't all reviews opinions?

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Aren't all reviews opinions?

Ha, you got me there! Too many beers strikes again!

#13 7 years ago

I really didn't intend to give you a full pinball news-style review. Just a few thoughts on the game. It might be more interesting to discuss the content rather than whether it constitutes a "review."

I like several of the modes, but "we got one" comes to mind. Hit the left shots, the car turns left on the DMD, then the right shots, the car turns right. Not exactly revolutionary, but I find it fun.

I don't get the reference to Captain Kirk...what's that about? He's big into 80s nostalgia?

Also, I forgot to mention that the video mode is stupid, even once you know to always choose bacon or star.

#14 7 years ago

You may not realize but there is a realy nice feature on pinside where you can go review games and it will go along with the quantitative data you provide on a game. Much better way to provide a review and have it stick around with a game rather than just a thread that eventually dies off.

I really like that tool as i can find people with similar taste as me and then possibly go seek out other games they like to play themfor myself.

#15 7 years ago

Yes, of course. But the conversation is the best part! Leaving a static review is no fun. I think the ranking system here is totally broken. I've given up on leaving reviews and ratings.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Who Bought the dog.

What? Is this another misspelling on the playfield?

#17 7 years ago

At our "launch party" the average scores were 20-50M. The top scores were around 125M. A friend of mine played yesterday, and put up 3B! Not to take anything away from his skills, but doesn't the scoring on GB seem weirdly exponential? Not sure if "imbalanced" is the right word, but I don't really remember seeing this pattern before. Have you guys noticed a strange pattern with the scores on GB?

#18 7 years ago

GOT is the same.
TWD is similar but not as exponential.

#19 7 years ago

Aside from the 17B game from Elwin at PAPA, I haven't seen any inexplicable scores on GOT. My experience has been that a 2-3B score on GOT takes a ton of hard work. Yes, the multipliers add up, but they are dangerous, difficult shots.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Aside from the 17B game from Elwin at PAPA, I haven't seen any inexplicable scores on GOT. My experience has been that a 2-3B score on GOT takes a ton of hard work. Yes, the multipliers add up, but they are dangerous, difficult shots.

Lots of "hard workers" on GOT in PAPA A Qualifying this year ...

rd

Name Score Points Entry #
1 Dave Stewart 14,588,596,240 100 #914
2 Keith Elwin 9,224,741,750 90 #834
3 Josh Henderson 5,817,137,980 85 #2440
4 Donavan Stepp 3,931,793,030 84 #4300
5 Jon Replogle 3,794,093,520 83 #1477
6 Tim Hansen 3,790,814,170 82 #3663
7 Jason Werdrick 3,480,736,490 81 #1471
8 Zach Sharpe 3,369,757,870 80 #188
9 Kevin Birrell 3,217,724,220 79 #4959
10 Alex Harmon 3,109,586,860 78 #1200
11 Escher Lefkoff 2,869,694,930 77 #1162
12 Alex Harmon 2,805,624,730 76 #1722
13 Brian Dye 2,788,770,180 75 #637
14 Steven Bowden 2,779,277,850 74 #3400
15 Kevin Birrell 2,736,121,460 73 #959
16 Brian Dye 2,644,453,490 72 #1217
17 Kevin Birrell 2,454,904,340 71 #3796
18 Kevin Birrell 2,329,591,490 70 #5247
19 Adam Becker 2,295,236,020 69 #2684
20 Evan Bingham 2,211,889,450 68 #870
21 Alex Harmon 2,113,891,410 67 #2438
22 Alex Harmon 2,066,170,390 66 #4459
23 Andy Rosa 2,064,149,110 65 #1758
24 Daniele Acciari 1,996,199,410 64 #2751
25 Johnny Modica 1,993,852,160 63 #3049
26 Andy Rosa 1,976,592,150 62 #111
27 Bowen Kerins 1,908,089,490 61 #1300
28 Daniele Acciari 1,906,243,070 60 #2749

#21 7 years ago

I think this makes might point pretty well. The top players in the world, after playing non-stop for 3 days ended up with a fairly linear group of scores between 2-4B.

At the very top, it does get a little strange...5,9,14B.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I think this makes might point pretty well. The top players in the world, after playing non-stop for 3 days ended up with a fairly linear group of scores between 2-4B.
At the very top, it does get a little strange...5,9,14B.

As far as I know, the top two scores were the result of a HotK hurry-up scoring bug that only a few players were able to take advantage of before PAPA figured out they needed to power cycle the machine between each play.

#23 7 years ago

OK, that explains the outlier scores on GOT. Is there a scoring bug on Ghostbusters?

Does anyone have a similar large sample of competitive Ghostbusters scores? I wonder if my theory holds up... I would suspect to see a much wider spread of scores on GB.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Enter Capt Kirk ...
rd

here, i'll wake him up.

Ghostbuster's 2, is a shitfest. Almost as bad as Mission Impossible 2. (well not that bad, that's one of the worst movies ever made)

#25 7 years ago

from what ive noticed on GB scoring is your bonuses can be huge

if you get to mass hysteria multiball you get in the billion club, if you cant collect 100 ghosts to get there then you probably wont have a monster game.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

As far as I know, the top two scores were the result of a HotK hurry-up scoring bug that only a few players were able to take advantage of before PAPA figured out they needed to power cycle the machine between each play.

The power cycle had nothing to do with the Stark bug that Dave Stewart got for his 14B. The power cycle was to reset the hurry-up which carries over game to game

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

the video mode is stupid, even once you know to always choose bacon or star.

They may have changed it on 1.05, but you can't always be sure it's bacon or star. I've lost several times picking bacon recently.

Regarding the exponential scores - I haven't seen any obvious bugs/exploits. As someone mentioned earlier, the bonus can be huge. I had a 25 million bonus HELD - so of course I went for the 5x bonus skill shot. BOOM - that's 125 million in one shot! ..then I added a few more multipliers and more bonus points for a massive final score. The deeper you get into the game the more scoring opportunities you will find.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

They may have changed it on 1.05, but you can't always be sure it's bacon or star. I've lost several times picking bacon recently.

Quoted from Xaqery:

In competition mode Negative Reinforcment works like this:
You get X right answers.
Your (X + 1) guess will be wrong and you will get zero points.
X == how many ghost you have caught /10
For example:
55 ghost caught will equal 5 right answers.
114 ghost caught will equal 11 right answers.
- Dwight

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

The power cycle had nothing to do with the Stark bug that Dave Stewart got for his 14B. The power cycle was to reset the hurry-up which carries over game to game

Ah. Did everyone eventually have the Stark bug details? And was everyone trying to exploit it? And/orr was it just tough to make it happen?

#30 7 years ago

That is interesting info about bacon/star.

Still, at it's core, it's a dumb idea for a video mode...randomly guess which it is? How is that fun?

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

That is interesting info about bacon/star.
Still, at it's core, it's a dumb idea for a video mode...randomly guess which it is? How is that fun?

As far as video modes go, I ain't mad at it. It has a little excitment behind the 50/50 chance of risk reward. And is usually good for a quick, few million.

#32 7 years ago

I agree - the video mode is my least favorite thing about GB.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I agree - the video mode is my least favorite thing about GB.

I completely avoid the shot when it's lit...many times when it rolls in there i just exit out right away

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I agree but 80's nostalgia shouldn't be wearing thin its the choices that are dismal with the exception of Aliens.

#35 7 years ago

Review lost all credibility with "Weak theme".

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Review lost all credibility with "Weak theme".

For pinball to stay relevant and continue into the future, we need a new generation of players and collectors.

One thing that threatens to make pinball an old man's hobby is the reliance on tired, old themes.

Why would someone in their 20s care about a movie theme from way before they were born?

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

For pinball to stay relevant and continue into the future, we need a new generation of players and collectors.
One thing that threatens to make pinball an old man's hobby is the reliance on tired, old themes.
Why would someone in their 20s care about a movie theme from way before they were born?

True dat. Up next...Culture Club: The Pinball.

That'll be a draw for the young 'uns!

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Because people in their 20's have seen Ghostbusters and love it. Classic, iconic movies don't vanish from pop-culture just because they're "old". People who didn't exist in the 80's still love Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Star Wars, Disney animated movies, etc. Pinball is inherently retro - and retro is *IN* with millennials.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I agree with all of these points especially the tired old themes. I'm real tired of band themes of bands way past their prime. Was fine with the game play of AC/DC and Metallica. Couldn't stand KISS. Neither of my teenage kids or most younger pin players care about those bands, I believe. I wonder if there will be many future players and collectors from those aged currently in their teens and 20's?

Back on topic an looking forward to playing GB and hope there will be a LE, see a Pro listed for the Denver show in less than 2 weeks.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Because people in their 20's have seen Ghostbusters and love it. Classic, iconic movies don't vanish from pop-culture just because they're "old". People who didn't exist in the 80's still love Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Star Wars, Disney animated movies, etc. Pinball is inherently retro - and retro is *IN* with millennials.

Let's see how relevant the Ghostbusters franchise is after the all-girl cast dicks it up this year. Look, I'm a huge fan of Animal House, an iconic movie for those of us growing up in the 70s, but I wouldn't want to see a pinball machine based on it. And I get what you're trying to say (I own a WOZ, so I'm not going to be hypocritical), but I don't think GB is in the same category as SW, WOZ, or IJ. More a B-tier franchise like BTTF. Which is fine, but I don't think it has the same universal draw as those movies.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I just don't see this happening, I hope so but most people in there 20's can't afford NIB games, even 30's and sure there are arcades but we grew up in arcades, little ones have home consoles which will only get better with time not to mention VR, While decades away I hate to say it but pinball will most likely disappear again or get big in the video world. 80's themes will work just fine for now but lets get away from kids films and bad rock bands, Blade Runner or Running Man, so many amazing action films from that decade.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

My 6yr old son LOVES ghostbusters with very little influence from me. He has all the Lego dimensions ghostbusters, lego ecto 1 set, staypuft marshmallow man piggy bank, and a ghostbusters calendar 2 years in a row. He also turns the song on all the time and dances around to it. All of this was before Stern even announced they were making a Ghostbusters table. He also doesn't like ghostbusters 2 movie cause Vigo scares him. I find it sorta funny how much Lego franchise has influenced his tastes towards movies i loved as a kid, back to the future, wizard of oz, lord of the rings, and ghostbusters among some of the lego dimension levels and he loves all the movies there based on.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

But aren't they doing that with the Avengers, Avatar, Hulk, Iron Man, GoT, etc.? (Whether or not the games are any good is another discussion.) Sometimes, it feels like the pin is just to cash in on the theme, without any real staying power -- "great theme, bad game."

Seems to me GB is hitting exactly the right mark -- there's a new movie (if it's terrible, it's not Stern's fault) to draw in a new crowd, but basing the art off the original is a great move for broad appeal. The only way it might be slightly negative would be if the new movie is a tremendous hit, but I don't think that will happen (say, like Addams Family). Again, just seems like a win-win all around with theme, novelty, name recognition, new audience, etc.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Let's see how relevant the Ghostbusters franchise is after the all-girl cast dicks it up this year. Look, I'm a huge fan of Animal House, an iconic movie for those of us growing up in the 70s, but I wouldn't want to see a pinball machine based on it. And I get what you're trying to say (I own a WOZ, so I'm not going to be hypocritical), but I don't think GB is in the same category as SW, WOZ, or IJ. More a B-tier franchise like BTTF. Which is fine, but I don't think it has the same universal draw as those movies.

BTTF is "B-tier"? When did this happen? Sorry, Ghostbusters is a top notch & relevant theme, and you can't compare it to Animal House, an R-rated frat comedy. Ghostbusters was an all-ages special FX comedy that has pretty much had non-stop marketing since '84. Like Phbooms said - his 6 year old loves it due to the GB Lego stuff. There are no Animal House cartoons, drinks, toys, video games, clothes, etc.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

There are no Animal House cartoons, drinks, toys, video games, clothes, etc.

There should be.

And BTTF simply isn't on the same level as SW and IJ. I teach kids that have never heard of BTTF and think that the new Ghostbusters is the first one ever made. Seriously. I would have been valedictorian if I went to school now.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

There should be.
And BTTF simply isn't on the same level as SW and IJ. I teach kids that have never heard of BTTF and think that the new Ghostbusters is the first one ever made. Seriously. I would have been valedictorian if I went to school now.

Kid kids, OK - but 20-somethings know BTTF. My friend has a Delorean "Time Machine" rental business, and he does a lot of proms and young adult type events.

#47 7 years ago

I think BTTF would be a terrible theme for a modern machine. Blasphemy?

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Ghostbusters was an all-ages special FX comedy that has pretty much had non-stop marketing since '84

Would like some of what you're smoking... after the 2nd movie bombed, the only time I ever saw *anything* ghostbusters in the 90s was when I was finding the 2600 carts at thrift stores or the Ray Parker album being blown out at the mall with a notch cut in it...

GB is big among pinball fans because most of them are stuck in the past anyway..

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

As stated already, 20 year olds aren't buying NIB pins, and the home market is more important than ever. Besides, the only other "old" themes Stern has done lately have been the band pins. Everything else has been current.

#50 7 years ago

I think It's an OK theme, with some really cool playfield features, hurt by an unfortunately brutal lower 1/3rd.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

There are 190 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-review-ghostbusters and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.